Shearer Newcastle Reorganization Looks Long Term

Alan Shearer said some good things during his first press conference yesterday as he got about the task of saving Newcastle United.

alan-shearer-123201

Alan Shearer – home again

Alan Shearer, during his news conference yesterday, said he had already talked to Michael Owen, the Newcastle striker and captain, and Michael will definitely start in the game against Chelsea tomorrow afternoon.

Alan said:

“I spoke to Michael and a few of the players to try to remind them of the standards and the qualities they possess but most importantly what they think of themselves.”

“It is well known Michael has had his fair share of injuries but his goalscoring record is fabulous and I think a club in this position needs goals.”

“We have a great goalscorer to get us that. He is fit and trained this morning very well for two hours, so we hope he is fit for Saturday and if he is he will start.”

Shearer has played under many great managers including Sir Bobby Robson, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish (at Blackburn), and Terry Venables, and has completed all but his FIFA Pro Licence – but he remembers something that Terry Venables did before the 1996 European Championships.

Alan said:

“I remember in Euro 96 when I hadn’t scored for however many games. A month before the tournament Terry Venables said to me Youll be starting the tournament.”

“I always remember the belief and confidence that gave me. It was a great piece of man-management and that stuck out for me.”  “All players are different but everyone loves to be told they are a good player and how well they are doing.”

“You go through your playing career and you tend to pick up the good things from the good managers.”   “Ive had some very good and experienced ones which I have learned a lot off. Even in the two or three hours this morning Ive tried to pass on one or two things to the players that I remembered when I was a player.”

“I’ll speak to Kevin, Kenny, Bobby, Terry, Glenn Hoddle and then we will see after that.” “I think it is important I try to tap into all the experience I can – Im going to need it.”

Shearer has brought in former Crystal Palace, QPR, Coventry City and Charlton manager Iain Dowie, and that’s another smart move by Alan, but it’s hard to believe all these changes are really just for 8 games, but Iain will of course be a big help to Alan, as he shares with him his management experience.

Alan continued:

“I’ll make mistakes, I’m pretty sure of that, but I have someone next to me who will tell me if he thinks I’m doing the wrong thing and that is very important for a number two.”

“I am inexperienced in this job but I have to learn quickly because I haven’t got the time.”

And Alan has also insisted that Physiotherapist Paul Ferris, who was at the club in Shearer’s playing days, has also returned to St James’ Park to oversee the medical department.

One thing Alan has asked Paul to do is try to understand the cause of  the Newcastle huge injury list, which happens every single season.

That’s something the club should have done long ago, because it hits Newcastle each season, and the club must find out the reason for it – and then fix it. And this is another thing that is hardly just a mission for the last 8 games of the season.

But the remaining games of the season will give Alan a taste of management at Newcastle, as he attempts as job one – to save the club from relegation.

And we’ll all see how he does, and he can see how he does himself, and then decide in what direction he wants to take his overall career this summer. Like other gifted people he has many choices.

Newcastle United will also need to decide where they want to take the club at the end of the season, and if we remain in the Premier league look for Mike Ashley to offer Alan Shearer a deal he will find very hard to turn down, and that will include Shearer running as much as the club as he wants to.  That would work.

And we have to hope as fans of the club, that Mike has leaned from the many mistakes he made when Kevin was managing Newcastle.

Now that Dennis Wise has finally gone, the structure of the club is what Alan will want, and we would expect him to bring in his close friends, Rob Lee and even Gary Speed, to help him coach at the club.

That could mean both Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood could be on their way – if Alan stays – but there again Alan may be impressed by the two coaches already at the club, and may want to keep them.

But it promises to be exciting once Alan takes Newcastle to safety.

• DanToon

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Here’s hoping!

• Stuart79

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I don’t think it makes a great deal of sense to have Ferris there if their only there for five weeks.

There’s not a lot he can do in that time to actually improve things.

That’s what I’m clinging to anyway!

• knottsy82

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM

‘ve loved this club from birth and over the past few days ive read a lot of people blasting this guy i honestly think he’ll not only keep us up but it here to stay i think he’s no nonsence and knows a few things about tactics can’t wait for him to prove people wrong

• beyethegreat

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:49 AM

i think this is a good move by ashley i genuinly believe that he is starting to get the hang of owning a football club

• Stuart79

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM

beyethegreat // Apr 3, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Time will tell on that one- I reserve judgment until Shearer accepts the post full time. I trust Shearer and he won’t do the job permanantly if he thought Ashley wasn’t going in the right direction

• beyethegreat

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM

stuart

gd point but even if shearer doesnt stay full time i will feel a lot more comfortable withhim as owner than what i would have a month or so ago

• Montagu

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I hope people don’t mind but I started a blog myself just a few days ago and it coincided with this great news, so i will add my first post here to as it is to do with this topic. The fact that NUFC is now United and that it should stay that way for some time to come- the only way for success.

Today Shearer, Alan Shearer to the few who don’t know, was appointed Newcastle Manager and for the first time in some time things look more positive for Newcastle United Football Club.

The one thing that is usually easy to identify in a successful team is stability; people who are experts in their field working for long periods of time in the same place. That expertise may ofcourse not always be there at the beginning, but the basis for it must be. Arsene Wenger and the people he has around him at Arsenal are the prime example, they are a collection of talented people who have worked together now for many years, producing not just, in this case, a football team but a club. Mourinho is a good example of keeping the right people around him but he is yet to build a club. Why I actually feel so optimistic about Shearer’s appointment is not because I think he will save us from relegation, though he might, but because, unlike Keegan, I think he will build the whole club up around him, kicking off by getting in Dowie and Paul Ferris to support him.

We are now very near the bottom, not just in terms of league position, and maybe just like this present financial crisis, it may still get worse before it gets better. However, atleast now for a Newcastle fan there is a little hope that the future will be a little brighter. I wish the same could be said for those effected by the failing economies around the world.

The Geordie people are, to many, a nation and accordingly, with their love of club and football, have the potential to rival the great Barcelona in terms of the passion and fervor of their support. What they need is some of the Barcelona success. But, we need this club to be built up over many years, maintaining continuity in the bad as well as good times. Ancelloti is a great model for Shearer and this Newcastle management team, he is old-school Milan and has brought in numerous people around him steeped in Milanese history, but he has also applied the most modern of sports science techniques to ground the club. What though has been of equal importance has been the owner’s decision to leave him in his post when things weren’t or aren’t going so well. These are the lessons that we must now learn.

We have a guy in Shearer who is Newcastle United Football Club, he should still be in his position 15-20 years from now. Maybe, the time is now right for him and us. His ability in the bad times should be measured by where we are now, that should help balance the negativity and criticism that will come at some point. This will allow a storm to be ridden and success and progress to once again stampede into Toon. We will see, but one things for sure, I bl__dy wish I was going to be at St. James’s on Saturday.

• Stuart79

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Beye

If Shearer leaves and Kinnear comes back there will be a reason for that.

I will feel the same about Ashley as I do now- I give him credit for having the balls to ask Shearer but I feel he’s only ding this to save his own skin and his bank balance

• Popeye

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Shearer’s appointment is fine and dandy and only time will tell whether or not it turns out to be a good one. If nothing else though, there isn’t another appointment that could have given moral the same lift that this one has. Check out the various Chelsea chats on the tinternet and that fact alone is worrying them.

But Shearer aside for one second….has nobody else commented on the speed at which Lambias exited stage left in the press conference?

There was no way on earth that that man was going to be caught out having to (god forbid) answer a question LIVE and off the cuff was there?

This board is a joke and the sooner they pack up the better.

• beyethegreat

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM

stuart but what if as he says shearer does not want to become a full time meanager at the momentn no matter what ashley does or doesnt do

• Stuart79

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM

beyethegreat // Apr 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Well I’d cross that particular bridge when it comes.

Whatever happens I wouldn’t bring Kinnear back, he just simply hasn’t done enough!

It needs to be a clean break with a young manager if it’s not to be Shearer!

• beyethegreat

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM

stuart

i agree but i will still support kinnear if he does come back

• Nick D

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM

can you imagine the massive anticlimax if Kinnear comes back.
    We will go from a young dynamic classy manager to an oafish dinosaur. Didn’t notice one, let alone 51 expletives at the press conference.
    Tells you all you need to know unless you are anally retentive like Worky.

• Bosck

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM

nick d, not entirely fair. jk’s expletive laden speech took the press attention away from the players and on to him so released them a bit from the constant pressure and sniping, and was a far more measured move than most give him credit for.

shearer due to his profile has drawn this attention anyway so does not need to generate additional press attention towards him and away from the squad.

• Nick D

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Bosck – yeah that worked so well. Only 4 wins in 21 !!!!!
    Shearer will bring back standards to this club.
    Kinnear should be consigned to history as yesterday’s man. He certainly isn’t the future.

On a different tact, why did Llambias go scurrying away and not even bother wearing a tie

• Paul141726

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Llambias really “made tracks” after his statement. Probably knew management would get attacked for not doing this sooner? We now have “little Dennis” gone, why not Llambias, too? Just hoping.

• chuck

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Yup! Llambias next, make it a house cleaning.
    Whether we drop or stay up, it`s essential the club get rid of the poor upper management team and hire some real pro`s.
    This has been the main reason for the recent demise, a boardroom clearout is a must,(unless you enjoy paying non performers for showing up)
    Same applies on the pitch, a clearout plus some decent signings, or we are back to square one, with all of the same problems.
    A total re evaluation of the present direction is an obvious and the sooner the better.

• Tom_Toon