Shearer Checks Out Seniors and Nile Ranger In Reserves Tonight

Newcastle United Reserves will field a strong side tonight, when they host Manchester City at St. James’ Park, with a kick-off time of 7:00pm.

nile-ranger-4597

Nile Ranger – will play tonight

And it looks like Alan Shearer and Iain Dowie will take a look at some of Newcastle’s fringe first team players tonight, as the Reserves will include Alan Smith, Danny Guthrie, Andy Carroll, Xisco and David Edgar.

Youngsters Tim Krul and Nile Ranger are also expected to feature in the game tonight.

The Newcastle club is is indicating that season ticket holders and official NUFC members gain free access to Reserve home league games.

Otherwise, prices are £3 and £1.50 (concessions), and it would not surprise us to see a more than a decent crowd there tonight as Alan and Iain check out some of their first teamers.

It’s also a first chance for Alan to check up on some of our up and coming young starlets like 17 year old England Under-19 striker Nile Ranger, and Tim Krul, Holland’s Under-21 goalkeeper.

Can you imagine how Nile Ranger feels to have one of England’s greatest ever strikers as his new manager at Newcastle?  Maybe this is just a dream for him.

We bet he’s even happier still to have moved to Newcastle last summer – what a first season this boy has had on Tyneside. 😀

• Toon Graeme

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I will be there and am looking forward to it.

Its our last reserves home match of the season (so I read) so what better place to end than at SJP.

Its never a big crowd. Last time I was at SJP for a match it was about 800 in the crowd.

Its never a full on vocal affair like normal match day – but if you can make it – get yourselves to the east stand!!

• richyg01

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Krul should be our number1

• wozzi

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hopefully some of the younger lads impress Shearer to get a chance in the first team. Think about how a new young lad in the first team can have a unknown factor about them. Think about Macheda for Man U yesterday.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Macheda’s goal was an awesome shot and saved Manure’s bacon.

I agree with that line of thinking Wozzi

• ToonRich

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM

richyg01, I was going to say something along those lines!! It would be interesting to see if AS will have the balls to select a few youngsters if they show the quality he wants in the 1st team…

I for one would like to see Nile given a chance, I think he’d be more menacing that Andy C, he’s more athletic in every department and thats what we need at the min.

As for Krul, he’s shown in the past he can cut it in the 1st team, he’d maybe be worth a shot. Harpers distribution hasnt been to a standard we need, he was way too slow at picking out a quick pass – and thats been the case since Shay left 🙁

• Whumpie

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

It’s a tricky one. Imagine if the opposite had happened and Macheda had been outclassed by the more experienced players? It could have ruined his confidence.

Much though I’m excited about the likes of our ‘next generation’ (particularly Ranger, Doninger, Lua Lua and Godsmark) I think Wenger has taken the right line with Walcott.

Also, a relly scrap is no place for naivity and inexperience. What I really want to see is for us to play these guys into the 1st team gradually over next season. In the premiership.

• ToonRich

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Whumpie, I see where you are coming from about inexperience…how about starting a couple of youngsters – my thinking behind that would be to let them play with no fear, as starting a game 0-0 is surely better than introducing later in the game, when we could be 1 or 2 goals down??
    I’d be tempted to give Ranger a start… 🙂

• batty

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:55 AM

sahota // Apr 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hey guys , if you agree then we can all contribute our ideas on this page

Its not mine page, its everyone’s page and I just made it in a hurry as I am at work. So might be lot of spelling mistakes.

ED please, we need you to show us the way about how we can go ahead and keep this blog up and running. We respect your decision but then also need initiative from you to save this blog. I am not sure its good idea to start a blog similar to this from scratch. The better option is to keep this blog running.

So ED could you please give your opinion about whats better options for us all.

• shearerwonderland.

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM

i can see alan shearer starting nile ranger

• Nick D

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Whumpie these aren’t my words below, but I agree with every one of them, especially his last line.

Newcastle’s future.

Watching the premiership this season one thing has struck me as odd.

Newcastle have probably had the worst injury crisis of any club in the league but it never occurs to them to dip into their reserve or youth squads even though they are actually winning games.

Maybe I’m being hopelessly naive (and I’m sure that on a blog like this I’ll be punished if I am) but it just seems that with teams like Man Utd blooding Welbeck and Macheda, Arsenal Vela, Everton gosling and west ham that guy that scored on saturday, all with great success, it’s a bit ridiculous that Newcastle managers are sticking to the idea that you should stick to a load of aging rejects rather than letting the youngster have a go.

Before anyone starts up on the fact that we have used Bassong and Carrol I acknowledge that, but surely that just proves the point that we should be giving the young guys their chance rather than sticking with the likes of Butt, Ameobi and geremi. Especially as Bassong has proven to be our best defender and Carroll has knocked in almost as many as Ameobi in fewer games.

Where other teams are using their young players and rewarding them with time on the pitch for excelling in the reserve league we send one of our best prospects off to Doncaster when we are in the middle of a relegation fight (he laid on an assist in his first game even though he played for less than half an hour). Doncaster are already making noises about keeping him and I wouldnt bet against it happening. Yes they are a lower league side but lets face it we could end up playing them next season!

Is their anyone else who would swap Smith for Donaldson or Doninger, Geremi for Godsmark, Ameobi for Ranger, Danquah or Adjei and Duff for Vu?ki? even at 17?

I dont think its good enough using the excuse that a relegation fight is no place for kids when its the Has been that have got us here in the first place!

Any thoughts?

• wozzi

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Just an example here, Mark Doninger (central midfielder) has 7 goals in his last 5 reserve games.

How many goals have our midfielders scored all season.

Duff 3
    Guthrie 2
    Zog 2
    Barton 1
    Milner 1

Duff may have scored most of those upfront.

That means, no goals from Butt, Nolan,Ryan T OR Geremi (I know a few of those havent started many).

Im pretty sure we havent got a goal from midfield THIS YEAR. (not counting Lkrands as I think he was upfront when he scored.)

We need more goals from midfield.

The young lad Doninger has goals in him, would you give him a chance?

• Tom_Toon

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Kadar, Vuckic, Ranger, Donaldson and Lualua will make it. Dont knwo about the others though.

I think Ranger may get a run out before the end of the season, got a feeling.

He has socred twice as many as Macheda in the youth and reserve teams, they are both 17 and both play in the same league. Ranger is taller, quicker and stronger than him too.