Shearer’s Enthusiasm And Passion Sorely Needed To Survive

As Frank Lampard rightly pointed out after the game, the much-anticipated white-hot atmosphere which was expected at Alan Shearer’s first game in charge, never really materialized on Saturday.

alan-shearer-123421

Alan Shearer – low-key opening game – but as enthusiastic as ever

Of course it takes two to tango, and the players also have to give the crowd something to shout for, and certainly a first Newcastle goal would have got the crowd going, but it was not to be.

But Alan has today said that the focus must remain on the players and the team for the remainder of the season, and not on him.

Alan told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“I would never have gone on the pitch to be introduced. I want to take the whole thing away from that. I did not think it would be right for me to have done that.”

“There has been enough said, written and sung about myself and now that has all gone and we can concentrate on what we’re here for.” “It was a disappointing day and I did not think it was right to do that.”

“I can understand why people have chanted my name and want me here, but that means nothing to me – I want to be here to save this football club.”

Alan is a realist as ever, and he really needs to be because his immense popularity will not save the club, but he has to get down to the job this week of restoring the playing squad’s confidences, along with the experienced Iain Dowie, and the rest of the coaching staff.

The players cannot start feeling sorry for themselves either – and the team is now 3rd bottom of the league because we have just 7 points from 13 league games, and over a full season that would garner us just 20 points, and we’d be bottom of the league and cast adrift.

So we’re 3rd bottom because where we deserve to be there right now, and the job at hand is st start playing better football, so we can get the results that will take us away from the bottom three, over the next 7 games.

Shearer seems not at all despondent, although he was disappointed at not being able to get something out of his first game in charge, especially since it was at home.

Alan added:

“It is very different from being a player.” “I said a few words to the linesman, but funnily enough he never said anything back to me.” “I really enjoyed it, I really, really did, in spite of the result.”

“At times I did not know where I was. Everything just takes over, you are looking at the game, different positions and how you can try and alter things.”

“Now I cannot wait to get back in on Monday morning and the rest of the week, work with them and see where we go.”

That’s exactly what it will need if Newcastle are to survive this season, some real enthusiasm, but quite honestly it is looking more and more unlikely that we can survive with every game.

But we need that enthusiasm and passion, and Alan has that in spadefuls for his home town team, just like the rest of us born and bred in Newcastle.

Howay The Lads!!

• stevep

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Would be good to get some passion from the crowd, took my son to his first game on Sat and while I almost expected a defeat onm the pitch I didn’t expect us to be outsung be the chelski fans.
    It was almost embarrassing, people around us just constantly moaning and whinging regardless of what was happening on the pitch.
    My son reckons Brighton fans (where he lives) are more vocal in support of thier team and they’re about to be relegated to league 2!!!!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:36 AM

It was a strange atmosphere on Saturday. Everyone was all up for it and we gave the chelski supporters as good as we got but after half time it seemed to tail off and I personally think people were either all sung out or had had enough. Everyone around me were just stunned into silence on the first goal, but it was followed by immediate support for the lads to get back into it – but it never really picked back up and in came goal no two.

Doesnt help when you have ‘knob’ styles in charge. Blind as his linesman at times.

I was getting peeed off with something that has annoyed me for weeks and weeks – the midfield and passing/pocession.

Shearers quote about the team being tired at 45 mins. That speaks volumes.

• Whumpie

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM

It is sad that the ‘famous support’ of NUFC is now failing in its duties at matches because it’s too busy moaning about players on the pitch failing in their duties.

Ed – the idea that a team should be expected to score to generate support from 50,000 supporters is utterly daft and shows how warped things have become.

You shouldn’t be able to hear anything but deafening Toon chants at SJP at the moment. Shame you can’t sell the fans and buy new ones in the transfer window, eh?

• Toon Graeme

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Last reserves match at SJP tonight vs Man Citey – kick off 7pm at the east stand.

Im going. Anyone else?

• Whumpie

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Toon Graeme – ta for that more promising assessment of the supporters’ performance. Still not great, but it sounds like at least there was some effort in the first half.

Painful how the support seems to lack the legs fro 90 minutes, but it is hard to keep it going at times like this.

• Whumpie

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I’d love to be at that reserve game. We’ve got a really strong squad and Mssrs Shearer and Dowie will be there to assess the likes of Xisco, Guthrie and lots of other 1st-teamers.

Should be a belter.

• clinta

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:45 AM

stevep- yeah the best fan’s tag cAan definately be stripped from the nufc faithful, done more harm than good this season and probably a few past seasons too now i think of it…

• stevep

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM

@toongraeme “Everyone was all up for it and we gave the chelski supporters as good as we got ”

Mate – you hit the nail on the head – there was 5,000 of them and 47,000 of us and we matched em for the first half and then we were chanted out!!!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Whumpie – I think people were expecting miracles against chelski – the dream return of the toon scoring legend at the helm and for it to be a victorious event.

Realistically the best we could have expected was a repeat of the 0 – 0 draw.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Keep the faith here’s my prediction for the end of the season

16th Newcastle