Andy Carroll Shows The Way To Safety At Newcastle

And Carroll seems determined to score more goals in the run-in to the season for his home town club, and we have to hope that manager Shearer will give this lad his big chance to save Newcastle from relegation. What a story this local lad created on Saturday for Newcastle United.

andy-carroll-12343497

Andy Carroll – after scoring Saturday

Andy talked to Newcastle United TV this morning:

“I need to stay fit now, work hard in training, keep doing everything the gaffer tells me to and hopefully win a place in the team,”

“I was delighted to get the goal at Stoke because it was a goal we really needed.” “It was a good ball by Duffer and I just knew where the goal was and tried my best to get it up and over the keeper.”

“It was an unbelievable feeling to see it go in and my head was still buzzing after the game.” “We’re now two points behind Sunderland but we’re all confident we can get out of trouble and we’ve got another massive game at Spurs next week.”

And in fact after the goal Duff put in a couple more excellent crosses, that Andy almost got on the end of, and now we have a new threat with Carroll in the middle that we will never get playing Martins and Owen together. Andy provides an aerial and physical presence, from a 6’5″ front man, who can score goals too.  Sounds good to us.

And while Martins cried off before the game, it was Andy who came on to electrify the game, not only with the goal but he seemed on Saturday a youngster inspired by his famous manager and boyhood idol, Alan Shearer. He gives the defenders such a physical mauling no wonder he is more than a handful in the penalty area.

This boy should be given his head right now, and the next step for him will be the England Under-21 side, as he’s already played for the U-19 and U-20 England sides to great effect.

We loved to see that spirit on Saturday, and would certainly like to see more players show the same spirit and inspiration next Sunday at White Hart Lane. We will need heroes and Andy stepped up to the plate for his home-town club on Saturday, that’s for sure.

And if it takes local players  to save the side this year – so be it.

For now it seems it’s a young 20 year-old local lad showing the way for other Newcastle players.

• Joey Barton 666

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM

we will survive, jonas, big andy, mo, joey, taylor, enrique,beye, bassong will save us.

these are the only players i would really like to keep.

i remember in the summer when me and tom toon and spyro were slated for saying if we let martins goit wouldnt be the end of the world.

should have let him go and got in bent

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM

He should be in the starting line up. It was only when we started winning the ball in the air we got out of our own half for a sustained period of time and put some pressure on Stoke. It enabled Nolan, Owen, Duff and Taylor to attack them and it worked. Ryan Taylor’s long throw was good too. As good as Delap’s any day!

• sahota

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM

It was great to watch Andy giving his 200% or I can say 1000% . He cleared some critical balls from defence. I was also happy with DUFF. He showed some improvements over last games. He crossed few balls in, which was good to see. Guys, get ready for next game. Play for WIN , go for 3 points. Then at end we might find 1 point and that would be very important point. Stick together lads.

• Joey Barton 666

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM

we will finnish 16th, boro, hull, and baggies to go down

• Joey Barton 666

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM

has anyone seen how hard, hull pompey and mackems run in is?

• Johno Toon

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM

i cant remember off top of my head joey but i have seen them and they are not easy if i remember correctly! hull are in big danger and so r sunderland imo

• Joey Barton 666

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM

i would go as far as saying that in my lifetime, andy carrolls header was one of the most important goals i have witnessed. as i feel we can kick on from this result

• sahota

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM

@Joey Barton I just now looked at fixtures of other teams Hull, sunderland and boro .

HULL has only 1 winable game at home which is with Stoke.

SUNDERLAND I think has again only 1 home game which they can win against Hull. (But result of this game will mean one of Sunderland or Hull will drop in bottom 3- depending on us getting some points from our games)

BORO – I am counting them OUT. They have only one home game they can win that is against Fulham.

To me next 2 games will be key. We should target to win both of these games. I know it is difficult bit if we target that we might be able to win 1 and draw 1. But job at spurs will be very difficult.

• Sav

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with a big raw-boned lad with a big jump and a powerful neck, in my book.
    I grew up watching Wyn the Leap, Mike Channon and Derek Dougan and there’s an absence of such players in the game right now. Its not total football ballet but its very effective and great to watch when its for your team. In Shearer and Big Dunc we had two of the best in recent times. In fairness, both of those had a lot more in their locker, and its only by playing Carroll, and staying off his back if he makes some mistakes, that he’ll develop. Will he get that support at Newcastle? I hope so as it sounds as if Al may soon give young Andy the nod.

He has been criticised on here for being big-headed and being too fond of the nightlife. I don’t know if that’s justified or not but unless you want Shola Ameobi, it should be borne in mind Carroll is young and perhaps a little bit of the devil is necessary to make a great striker, at least ON the pitch.

• Tom_Toon