Carroll and Guriterrez Changed The Game – Shearer

Alan Shearer got his very first point as Newcastle manager, and let’s hope there’s a lot more of those, especially over the next 6 games.

alan-shearer-_11728921

Alan Shearer – his substitutions turned the game

Shearer admits the introduction of Jonas Gutierrez and goal hero Andy Carroll helped swing the game in Newcastle’s favor during Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Stoke.

Jonas Gutierrez, who was surprisingly left out of the starting line-up, replaced Danny Guthrie after 63 minutes, and Carroll replaced Shola Ameobi after 70 minutes.

Both players had good games with Jonas playing as though he wanted to get as much work in, as he usually does during the full 90 minutes – he was everywhere over the last 30 minutes. No wonder this lad is a fan favorite on Tyneside, as he worked his socks off for the Newcastle cause.

And of course we’ve talked enough about Andy’s contribution, and both players, even though they came on as subs, helped turn the tide for the Magpies and they can both take great pride in that.

They both showed the energy and enthusiasm the Newcastle side needed to get back into the game, and of course, we were still 1-0 down after both players had been introduced.

Shearer talked about the substitutions this morning:

“The aim was to add some attacking energy when we brought Andy and Jonas on.” “We gambled a little bit and tried to go in there with a little bit more pace and power and it’s paid off.”

“But I think the players, particularly in the second-half, have shown me what they’ve shown me in training all week.” “And that is that they can pass is around, demand the ball and be brave going forward.”

“The subs did help to change the game in our favor but we’ve now got to take that performance from the final half hour into our remaining six games.”

And of course after Andy’s goal the team seemed to get more energy from somewhere, and went all out for the winner, and it’s just a pity we didn’t have that little bit of luck a couple of times ion the last 8 minutes.

We need to get the first goal in one of these games so the lads can go on and get the win we so desperately need to finally turn the tide against the relegation threat.

But to be fair to Stoke City, they played very well and they have done just fabulously this season under Tony Pulis, and they hardly deserved to be beaten for what Tony called their best home performance of the season.

It’s a pity these teams are keeping their best performances for Newcastle.

But of course, it’s up to us over these last 6 games, and we think the lads can and will survive this season, as long as we support the players, Alan, Iain, Chris and Colin for the next 6 weeks, with everything we’ve got. 😀

It’s far too easy, and a rather cheap shot, to pull down the lads, given the plight we are in right now.

• Rodzilla

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

…did ‘Guriterrez’ change the name as well?

(man, that pop up ad is annoying)

• cooldj

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

1st 🙂

• cooldj

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

lol the ad cost me. ed that has got to go!

• Jan Stavik

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Jonas, a starter for Argentina and a sub for a team destined for relegation. It’s just surreal, he’s our best player together with Bassong.

Play him ffs!

• Rodzilla

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I agree he’s up there Jan. Another thing that frustrates me is how many starts Shola gets. It’s fairly obvious he puts in ‘for the cause’ in TRAINING, but he makes FAR too many errors where it matters in Premeirship games. It really should be about time he’s selected on performances in ‘real’ games, not training. I was shocked to see him start over big Andy. We’ll never know now how costly that was, but I’m gona assume it’s cost us 2 points.

• Rodzilla

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

…sorry *Premiership – have to make sure my spellings are correct after digging at Ed 🙂

• sahota

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Guys, I think Shearer has by now known who are best players for us. I think he started with Shola to counter Stoke’s long throws and corners. But now Andy has shown he can give 200% , I think Shearer will give Andy chance in every game.

• tom tomb

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM

You should have picked that team at the start shearer. It was’nt hard to work out, we would have won it if you had got it right. You used to play with the dork ameobi, and still you picked him. Also you left the only midfielder with pace on the bench. Wake up Alan its not a good start picking a poorer team than Hughton could ever think of.

• Rodzilla

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I hear what you’re saying Sahota, but Andy is as big as Shola, if not bigger and had scored twice for the reserves earlier in the week – he had an almost immediate impact. Shola was also responsible for marking Faye when he got the opener.

…anyway, I’m sure Big Al knows what he’s doing and I’m not knocking players, I just fail to understand some of the logic in team selection. Suppose that’s why I’m not a football manager 🙂

• bennymoob

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Was he not hoping the starting 11 would manage to keep a clean sheet then guriterrez and carroll would come on as impact subs?

• Rodzilla

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM

…sure he probably was moobs, but NUFC, keep a clean sheet, away from home? I wouldn’t rely on that personally.

• toonarmyuk

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Yes, definitely a tactical error from Shearer by leaving Carroll and Jonas on the bench, especially bearing in mind that Jonas can run his socks off for what seems like forever!

Still, I’m sure Shearer will learn, and he MUST have realised now that Ameobi is STILL as crap as he was when Shearer was around!!! I hope to God we never see him on the pitch again.

If Carroll and Jonas dont start against Spurs I’ll be very disappointed.

• Danish_Magpie

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I would play 3-5-2 as follows:

…………………Harper………………..

…..Beye……..Colo……..Bassong….

Jonas………………………………Duff

…………..Butt…..Guthrie…………….

………………..Owen…………………….

………..Oba…………Carroll………….

Subs: Krul, S. Taylor(unfit), Enrique(unfit), R. Taylor, Nolan, Løvenkrands(unfit), Ranger

• Jan Stavik

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

If Shearer is opting for 3-5-2, I’d go with:
    ———————-Krul
    ——–Beye — Colo — Bassong
    Jonas – Nolan – Guthrie – Enrique
    ——————-Owen
    ———-Martins —Carroll

• TORONTOON

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM

edgar looked more dependable than colo