Martins Now Has Much To Prove To Alan Shearer

Oba Martins had a long talk with new Newcastle manager Alan Shearer yesterday at Newcastle’s Darsley Park training ground, and let’s hope the two men now have a better mutual understanding of each other.

oba-martins_obafemi_nufc_profile_2007

Oba Martins – has much to prove after pulling out of Stoke game

Oba came up with a niggling groin problem that prevented him from playing at Stoke on Saturday, and certainly Alan Shearer was not too pleased after practicing three up front all week in practice.

The news is that Alan could have been planning to play 3-4-3, as he tries to get more firepower up front, so we can score goals and then maybe even win some games.

There will be no internal punishment for Martins, but he will now have to prove he has the team at heart, and now get some goals for Alan Shearer for the remainder of the season. It’s not good to get on the wrong side of Alan Shearer, as Oba will have already found out.

Oba talked about it today:

“I understand why the manager was frustrated because he had to change his plans,”

“But I woke up in so much pain that I knew I could not give 100 per cent, so I decided I couldn’t play.”

“I didn’t want to let the team down and, with so many important games coming up, I needed to think about staying fit for the future.”

It seems like Martins has had the niggling groin problem for weeks, which is rather surprising since he was operated on the world’s top groin surgeon in Munich, Germany, Dr Ulrike Muschaweck, and she has a first class record. If it is still bothering him then maybe he should have a quick trip over to Dr. Muschaweck, let her take another look, because if  she cannot fix it nobody else can.

Oba has scored 27 goals in 82 appearances for Newcastle, but like Michael Owen, he has been very quiet lately, and has not stepped up to the plate with any goals over the last several games.

We need these big players on huge salaries to start producing for the Newcastle club, and if they do we will be safe, but time and games are running out.

A 4-1 win again on Sunday at White Hart Lane, would be very nice, thank you very much. We wonder what the chances of that are?

• Ericles

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Oba seems to have a history of groin problems. I thought this had been dealt with surgically? We need you on form Oba and scoring goals. You have a taste for the Spurs net so will you be fit by the weekend? Three up front could sorely test the spuds and get us the points we need. Hope all will be OK.

• MarkO

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM

If Oba isn’t on top form for the rest of the season we WILL go down. If he is then we might just scrape survival

• ronaldeano

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I like Oba but he should be scoring more goals.

His goal record this season is very low, he has quite a few chances to put them away and he hasent.

Shape up Oba

• workyticket

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:15 AM

“There will be no internal punishment for Martins”

Of course there won’t be an internal punishment for Martins Ed, he was injured. Why on earth would they punish a player for being injured?

• brownrob

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Oba is the man to keep us up, his pace for one.

Jonas strung in some nice passes, so all we need is for Oba to latch onto them and we are sweet!

Fight my brute! Click the link! D

• Sav

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Presumably for not informing the gaffer and receiving whatever necessary physio they can give to reliev his problem. Mind, if he’s had this since before Shearer arrived, why the hell did the physio department not tell Al they were treating Oba for groin strain? Seems a bit odd.

• Mikeflame

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:29 AM

You cant blame our strikers for not being too good in the past well 15-20 games! Both Martins and Owen play better when theyre with a big lad next to them and need service! They have had neither in a long time. If they both get 1/2 goals over next couple of games we’ll be in for a good finishing show.

• Whumpie

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

While the Oba no-show was bad news, I was relieved to read the possibility (hopefully not just speculation) about the 3 up-front approach that was planned.

Does anyone know how reliable this report is? Are there any quotes from the club to confirm that they were practicing this 3-5-2, 3-4-5, 4-4-1-2 or whatever you want to call it?

Also, what is the latest on Oba’s injury? The press (and you Ed, which is odd) seem keen to play this as some internal spat, but surely it’s a simple matter of a player being injured, in which case the big question should be: when can he play again?

Does anyone know? I’ve been offline all weekend..

• sirjasontoon

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Been off the Boil for ages..can’t see us getting anywhere near the 13-15m that the gunners where rumored keen to pay a while ago.
    Be lucky if we get 5m end of the season.

• Martz20

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM

This may interest you all to hear,

One of my friends rang my this morning from Birmingham airport and said he was sitting in the departure lounge 10m away from Oba’…

My friend was flying to Milan and guess where Martins went!!!!

Does this not seem slightly strange??? shouldn’t he be training.

• bennytoon

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM

my team for the barcodes

cudicini
    hutton
    dawson
    huddlestone
    chimbonda
    bentley
    zokora
    Ohara
    Bale
    Bent
    Campbell

Strong second string would be to strong for newcastle.

• lesh

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:04 AM

It’s really up to Oba to prove he has the commiment shown by Carroll on Saturday – for the shor time he was on, he got among it and did the biz.

Oba sings the right songs about loving the club etc but I’d have been happier if he’d left the decision not to play to the club’s medics and Shearer. Maybe it’ time for him to show what he’s made of before he’s shown the door!

• MarkO

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:09 AM

bennytoon what was the result last time we played Spuds??

• Matt

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Why is there such a big deal about him waking up injured? It happens. Get over it.

Lesh, the physios went and checked him out didn’t they? They said he couldn’t play either as far as I’m aware.

• Chris G

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Martz20 // Apr 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM

“This may interest you all to hear”

Er, not really, to be honest
    ———————————-

bennytoon // Apr 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM

“my team for the barcodes ———-Strong second string would be to strong for newcastle.”

Er, I think you meant to say your team AGAINST the barcodes, not FOR them. And you should have said TOO strong for newcastle, not TO strong. And you should spell ‘newcastle’ with a capital ‘N’

But I guess they don’t have any decent schools in Tottenham, do they? Or maybe you’ve just been skipping the English lessons.

• lesh

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM

re Matt // Apr 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM and the physios…… the point I’m making is that [according to the media], Oba phoned to say he wasn’t up to it…… surely it’d have been better received if he’d turned up rather than phone?

• bennytoon

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM

chris g- nothing worse than some idiot turning a blog into a spelling bee. silly boy.

• bennymoob

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I’ll get my moobs out
    Get my moobs out
    Get my moobs out
    For the lads

• bennymoob

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I have man boobs and I can not lie
    You toon fans can’t deny
    That when a spurs fan walks in with a massive pair of moobs
    And a round thing in your face
    You punch him

• bennymoob

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Wanna pull up tough
    Cuz you notice the moobs are stuffed
    Deep in the top i’m wearing
    Your hooked and You can’t stop staring
    Oh, baby I wanna get rid of my moobs
    And take my picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    That i’m a useless fat f*ck
    You Make Me so horney
    Ooh, rump of smooth skin
    You say you wanna get in my reliant R Well use me use me cuz
    You aint that average spud

• ian

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Hopefully Alan Shearer builds in some sort of set counters with Martins central to this play, every other manager appears to have tried to have counters etc centred around Owen or a midfield build up play, clearly to anyone with two eyes and even a pea brain we are most dangerous with Martins on the counter, but Martins needs other players starting their runs to assist him before he get the ball under control, never mind waiting for him to start running as they all do now, when the ball goes near Martins watch Owen and the rest of them, they are still thinking, often facing the wrong way, when it goes in his general direction they should already be running to support him, in my view Martins plays the best most perfectly weighted crossesin our team, no-one plays an assist as well as Martins, if they were near the goal they would get the ball, so where are they?

• Gunners

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

spurs supporters are as pathetic as their squad. I’m expecting Alan Smith to break his scoring drought with a hat-trick.

• Tom_Toon