Nile Ranger Signs New Improved Contract At Newcastle

Newcastle United have rewarded their exciting 18 year-old 6’2″ striker Nile Ranger, with a new improved three-and-a-half year contract.

nile-ranger-327465

Nile Ranger – smiling this morning as he signs new contract

The good news is being reported in the Newcastle United official site, and it will keep Ranger at the club until 2012, when he turns 21, and hopefully is a first team regular by then.

Nile has just turned 18, and of course has scored an impressive 22 goals for Newcastle Reserves and the U-18 side combined this season, which is his first on Tyneside.

And we fully expect that at some time during these last 6 games of the season, Nile will make his first team debut under new manager Alan Shearer, who seems to be impressed with the lad.

After signing today, Nile Ranger spoke to the Newcastle United TV:

“This past year has been a dream for me and it couldn’t have gone any better.

“I’m buzzing to sign a new contract and commit my future to the club because this is where I want to play my football.”

It’s good to have players at the club who want to be here, and of course with the great Alan Shearer hopefully becoming the long-term manager at Newcastle,  Nile Ranger along with our other top young striker, 6’5″  Andy Carroll, will both be in very good hands.

This is some good news this morning for Newcastle fans, something we don’t get a lot of  these days.

• DanToon

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:59 AM

What’ up blood! lol…

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Nice to have you aboard for a bit longer Nile.

Hope to see him on the pitch under Shearer. Be it 10 or 15 mins and then hopefully longer.

MO – Carroll the Ranger – Carroll towards end of match on Sunday?

• Robby Bobson

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Please dont be another chopra. At least he can provide half time entertainment with some of his G raps if he dont make it into the first team.

• Tom_Toon

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Got to say this is great news. I was getting worried that his contract was only until 2010 and we may be going down. But now he is def here.

He is now 4th choice striker I recon.

We can just orget Viduka now.
    Lovenkrands is decent but I’d rather play a youngster, Smith cant score, Ameobi is Ameobi, Xisco, well I dont know.

• Ben_BKK

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Ed, where are you suddenly getting it from that Carroll is 6’5″? I thought he was 6’4″ at the very most…

• BT9MAG

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Robby, was Chopra ever THAT good in reserves? Also, Chopra didn’t have the natural attributes (speed, size, strength, skill) Chopra had good off the ball movement but not enough of everything else to apply that movement to the Premiership…

I think Nile can do it!

• RyanToon

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM

glad that weve got him for the next three and half years

englands future striker

• BT9MAG

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Only thing I’d worry about with him is his obvious attitude problems in the past.

He hasn’t become a good footballer overnight so for Southampton to release him he must have been a f**king nightmare!

It does seem to have shocked him into sorting himself out, but with all this positive praise being heaped on him, would it really surprise people if the problems re-emerged?

• Tom_Toon

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:43 AM

You dont know anything about his problems and Southampton are warped. At any other club Bradley Wright-Phillips would have been released 10 times over.

• Robby Bobson

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM

BT9…Wel with Ranger he has come straight in and scored the goals so i think he could make it. Many players are great for reserves, remeber Mellor at liverpool who scored like a goal a game for reserves and last time i saw him is now is a sub for Preston.

However Ranger seems to be physically capable and certainly has the confidence to make it. We just need to keep hold of him until hes about 21 which is why this contract it good, becuase by that time it wil be known if he has it or not. He has got Shearers approval which is something. If Ranger was at Soton now he would be playing as they have a very young team.

• Ben_BKK

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Hopefully Shearer will give him some game time with the first team, give him a chance to show he can do it at the highest level, rather than just excelling in the reserves and U18s.

• Brettoon

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM

We’ll need him in the championship

• ToonRich

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:10 PM

This is great news, as I really like Nile and his style of play. If Shearer was tempted to play the youngsters I’d like to see Ranger & Carroll up front with MO given the free role as 3rd striker.
    I do however think Nile could form a deadly partnership with Oba, both very quick players, good in the air and strong – what more do we need!!

Bring on the spuds!! 2-1 win 🙂 (ever hopeful!)

• stk85

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM

he was let go by southampton simply because they haven’t coped with being relegated and their finances are up the creek. also, when a prem team comes for your youngsters its hard to keep them if you’re a division below.

oba and owen need to produce, because ranger and carroll are hot on their heels. saw the reserves last week v man city and ranger and carroll were linking up very well. carroll got the goals that night but it was clear why nile’s been prolific this season.

never, ever play ameobi again, he is absolute gash. forget viduka. smith, i wanna give this guy a chance but he never produces. same with xisco, he was very highly rated when he came in.

lets hope this guy gets a game beofre the end of the season and a few games next year too

• Micky Toon

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I would have liked us to have secured PL status by now and for us to be playing the likes of Ranger and Carroll in the first team, looking to bring them on for the start of the new season. Giving them a taste of PL football without too much pressure on them. However, it’s a bit of a gamble to rely on the young un’s to get us out of this mess. Having said that we might not be in the mess if the more established players had bothered to turn up.

• bennytoon

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I hope carrol plays on sunday. Dreadful player! Compliments owen who is equaslly shocking.

I reckon you will be 5 points adrift of safety after this weekends fixtures and second from bottom.

• Toon_Factor

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:13 PM

bennytoon

I hope Keane plays on Sunday. Awful player! Along with Pavlyuchenko who is equally awful too.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Bennytoon – your an ar$e!

• JJJ

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Oh look the fat bastard benny moobs is back with his man boobs and all.
    I’d rather be a suffering Toon supporter than a fat unliked ugly Spud.
    But good on your for being able to carry onlife without slitting your wrists. Im sure you’re and inspiration all all useless slobs.
    By the way, you’re quite knowledgable on the game – you should try playing it, its even more fun and might help you become a man – Im sure they have fat leagues you can join…

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:26 PM

JJJ – Bennytoon is just an ar$e mate.

• CharlesMa

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Before I begin, I would like to thank Ed for staying so committed to both the blog and to our beloved Newcastle United.

I am writing in today, with a heavy heart. Maybe because I grew up in an era where we were nicknamed the entertainers, boasting players like asprilla and ginola.

Today, as I looked through the league table, I totally admire the courage of Alan Shearer. Shearer has risked his reputation as a legend on Tyneside, in an attempt to drag us out of disaster. In my opinion, if Newcastle is not where it is today on the league table, Shearer would not have taken up the role as manager so quickly. I recall Alan Shearer’s interview (which can be found on youtube), Shearer said he has never regretted his decision to move to Newcastle considering he could have won more medals at Manchester. It really moved me to know that the man really cares about our club through and through. Look at Cantona, he is probably Manchester United’s equivalent of Shearer. Cantona quitted at his peak, keeping his legend status intact.

Like every other manager that has took charge of Newcastle, our fans have been criticising the manager’s team tactics and selection.
    I would like to urge all you fans out there, give Alan Shearer your fullest support. He needs it, the team needs it. Every game from now till the end of the season is a cup final. Our football club has built such a poor reputation in Europe; it will be difficult to attract top players and managers I assure you. Let’s put our faith in Alan Shearer and give the team the support they desperately need. In our darkest hour.

Charles Ma
    From Singapore

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Charles – I see where you are coming from mate.

Ive got a feeling its gonna be a sell out for every away game and almost full for every home game.

We need to turn up the volume and not turn it down like against Chelski. Lets do our part.

HOWAY the lads.

• Toon_Factor

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:33 PM

JJJ

“you should try playing it, its even more fun and might help you become a man – Im sure they have fat leagues you can join…”

Or he could try out bowls or a less active sport like that, so there is less chance of him killing himself that way!

• JJJ

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:33 PM

CharlesMA

You right mate.

I’m a big Owen critic, but it doesnt mean Im not behind the boys 100%.
    And if Owen scores against the Spuds, I’ll be the happiest toon supporter around. That goes for any player…

And I got a good feeling for the Spuds game…

• JJJ

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Toon Factor

Na – I reckon he’d make a good keeper…

He his fat body would cover about 50% of the goals and he can tie one man boob to each post to cover the rest…
    Be hard to beat that… But dont say “bowls” too much around Benny Boobs, it probaby makes him hungry…

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM

JJJ – Tottneham are not a very physical team, compared to Hull or Stoke. I think we handled Stoke quite well, but a more decent team would have finished we off when they got past the defence. We need to switch on from the get go – not the last 30 mins!!!

• Doocey

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Tottenham have spent : £208m in last two years.
    The price of a Carling Cup? :O:O
    I wouldn’t pay that price!

• Toon_Factor

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Spurs arent very good at defending set pieces either and big lads like Carroll, Bassong, Edgar and Taylor etc could easily get some goals. Ive notice there games are always spaced out too and not tight like Stoke and Hull so Jonas could be an essential player next week

• Stuart79

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:42 PM

16 bennytoon // Apr 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Could you please explain how on earth we will be 5 points adrift after this weekends games?

Sunderland are playing Hull so if they win we will be at worst four points behind Hull.

If Hull win we will be at worst 2 points behind Sunderland.

You thick little turd!

• bennytoon

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Are any of you lot going to the game to watch your team get one step closer to relegation on sunday. I bet not one of you travels to away games. Its on ryantoons doorstep but i doubt the plastic fan will be there. I cant make it unfortunatley. But then i dont enjoy the games against the bottom teams anyway. You dont have a single player i would pay to watch!!!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Doocey – only a carling cup to show for that outlay.

Look at us – by comparison – spent f’all – won f’all.

I do hope that Shearer & Dowie can come up with something for Sunday and the lads go out for blood spit and tears.

Everyone wants us to fail – lets piss them off and succeed!

• Toon_Factor

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM

bennytoon

I can’t believe that, I though a die hard Spurs fan like you would attend every game no matter what the circumstances were. And with the obsession you have with Newcastle it makes it even more hard to believe!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Toon Factor – Bennytool doesnt go to sh*tehart lane. If he was such the avid spud fan – why pass on the chance to see his beloved team play against us – the team he loves more.

I can just imagine him listening watching scoffing a pack of buscuits infront of his pc with his mam shouting at him to tidy his room!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Just onto another topic. Does anyone think tonights Champions League match (manure) will be as good as last nights Pool & Chelski bout?

I doubt it – anyone care what Arsenal do? Me neither. Never watched an Arsenal Champions League match yet. Then again only the dross gets shown on ITV4 and Sky Sports 3.

• bennytoon

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM

toonfactor- my life dosent revolve around football. I go to about 20-30 gtames a season including youth team fixtures. What makes you say i have an obsession with newcastle??

Doocey- i am sure the spurs board thought they would win more than just a carling cup. At least the board have ambition. I would much prefer that than to spend very little on average players and be 2 points adrift of safety .

• Toon_Factor

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM

bennytoon

“What makes you say i have an obsession with newcastle??”

I dont know, maybe the fact that you spend about 7 hours a day on a football forum based on a team you dont support. Thats why!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Alas Benny – I do recall your stadium being not really full when you were struggling at the bottom of the league. Suppose its like all london based team supporters – only support when they win. For example take Chelsea last night – not a peep – until they scored.

Your still an ar$e!

• Micky Toon

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Benny – as as toon fan there aren’t many of our current squad I’d pay to watch either, if I had the choice. I’d much rather we had a team of players like C Ronaldo, Gerrard, Drogba, etc.. but we don’t so I take it on the chin and get on with it. If you were a ManU, Liverpool or Chelsea fan I could see your point, but you support spurs, I mean spurs FFS. What make my plight worse is that someone as woeful as spurs are actually higher than us in the table. It’s only compounded by the fact that the mackems are also above us.
    Just imagine what it will feel like when we turn you over at your place. We are third bottom and we will beat you. We are crap, the worst we have been in years and we will still beat you and your dog face manager.

• bennytoon

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:01 PM

toongraeme- family comes first. If it was a top team i might have made an effort to go but watching a scrappy relegation cert playing long ball to 2 midgets doesnt excite me.

• RyanToon