Iain Dowie Loving Life At Newcastle

We knew Iain Dowie was really happy to be coaching at Newcastle United, and there seems little change in Iain’s positive attitude about Newcastle United and their supporters.

alan-shearer-and-dowie

Alan and Iain – you add one to this one – and that makes two

Iain talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning, and he’s still loving life on Tyneside, and we think he’d just love to stay, if Alan gets to be the long-term manager at Newcastle United.

Iain said today:

“I’m absolutely loving it here. Alan could have called a number of people up to get them to come up here and work with him and I’m delighted he chose me.”

“It’s a fantastic job and a magnificent club. Don’t get me wrong, I knew that when I came up here before as a manager and as a player, but it’s only when you live and work here that you realise what a special club it is.”

“How many people have said before that if you get it right here as a manager, it would be incredible. If we can get a bit of stability in place and a bit of long-term thinking this place will be scary if it gets a bit of success.”

“It’s definitely one of the biggest six clubs in the country, without a doubt, and it just needs someone to get it going again.”

It turns out that Dowie and Shearer have been close ever since they were team-mates down at Southampton, where Iain was also a striker too, in his playing days.

It was a little surprising perhaps that Alan didn’t turn to Rob Lee or Gary Speed as his assistant, but there again they are as new to management as Alan is, and he needed somebody with good experience, and Iain no doubt already has that, plus he seems to be excellent on the training ground, where he seems to just love it.

Iain continued:

“I don’t have a problem being a number two. I’m enjoying it, I’ve done it before. I’d been a number one for a long time but I work well with Alan. He is a straight talker and I’m a straight talker and that works as a partnership.”

“He gives me a free rein with the coaching, but I will tell him what we are doing and if he wants more of something we will do it. We then meet up and discuss what we are going to do in the next game and it’s a pretty frank discussion.”

“We’ve stayed in contact for years and I’ve been up regularly to see him. Mind you, I’m still waiting for him to get his wallet out. He’s never bought me lunch, not even now I’m working with him and he’s the manager. What is that they say about people with money?”

Maybe if Alan stays on in the summer, with the £4M a year deal he will be able to get, that would be the time to buy Iain lunch, or even go for it with dinner, and it will certainly be some celebration dinner if we are still in the Premier league at that time.

However, to do that we just have to start winning games, starting with Spurs on Sunday afternoon.

Here’s hoping – as always.

• richyg01

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Good words.

Everyone seems to be able to talk the talk but we MUST start walking the walk.

Clock is ticking….

• PaceOba

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Just suite for Championship side though.lol

• bennytoon

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I bet he cant believe his luck. Failed as a player and manager at everyclub he has been at and then rocks up at newcastle. Jammy sod! I bet he has even managed to get a strunning girlfriend such is his luck.

• Bill F

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

The comment re. AS being a bit of a tightwad, could be that he and MA have more in common than we thought. But lets face it he has landed a nice little earner (same as JK) albeit only temporary perhaps, he is hardly going to say he hates it up here. Having said that as a football mover and shaker of sorts he should be enjoying the challenge and the potential gains for himself.

• Craigg

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Im not surprised that he didnt initially get Lee or Speed at all, I think straight away he showed what road he wanted to go down bringing in a modern thinking assistant who is strict on diets, performance etc. and also Paul Ferris who is apparently in charge of sports science (I dont know either) and fitness coaching.

Shearer will want everything run the way the elite do and a lot more profesionally than the shambles it has been in the past.

I would expect Lee and maybe Speed to come in the summer when everything has calmed down(Hopefully to replace the chuckle brothers) with probably Tim Flowers replacing the smogs goalie coach and Dowies rugby coach following.

If we stay up that is (WHICH WE WILL)

• BT9MAG

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Craigg I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss our GK coach, I’ve read on numerous occassions that Krul and Forster say he’s the best coach they’ve ever worked with – perhaps just blowing smoke in the right places to get the nod for 1st team, but still, there’s no denying he’s help mould 2 quality young keepers!

• Craigg

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM

BT9MAG

You may be right, Shearer may well be impressed also.

I just thought Al would want to start a fresh next season and as Flowers is a big pal of Shearer and also Dowies assistant at Coventry and QPR it seemed a natural move.