Alan Smith Can Play His Part In Newcastle Survival

Alan Smith, the former Leeds and Manchester United man, came off the bench at half-time yesterday, and put in a good second half shift for the side, and he has come out today and says he knows what’s required in our final 5 games of this terrible season.

alan-smith-_ap

Alan Smith – can still do a job for Newcastle this season

Of course the only thing that matters now is the Portsmouth game at St. James’ Park, and we have to hope we can get a win in that game, and if we can then our chances of staying up will be completely re-invigorated.

Alan said today:

“We have to put the Tottenham game behind us now, take the positives and work on the negatives and get ready for Monday night against Portsmouth.”

“The three home games are massive – everyone understands that.” “We’ll have 52,000 fans right behind us and those three games could determine our season.”

“Everybody knows we have to win on Monday. There can be no sitting back we’ll have to go for it, we need three points.” “But it’s one thing talking about it we’ve got to go out and put in the performance to get the three points.”

We think Alan can do a job for the club in the last 5 games of the season, because nobody can question this lad’s fight or spirit, and he did have an excellent game for us at home against Manchester United, and maybe Alan Shearer thinks Smith could provide the bite we are missing in midfield.

We are also lacking leaders on the filed, which is why we were particularly disappointed with Owen and Butt yesterday.

Alan Smith continued:

“We give ourselves a mountain to climb week in, week out and I think that’s what the gaffer will want to try and put right.

“In this league no matter who you are, even if you are the best team in the league, it’s always difficult when you go behind.” “I think the second half was more about character and this is definitely a set of lads who are well up for this fight.”

“I’ve been injured eight months and it takes a while.” “I spoke to the manager when he came in and he said he wanted me to be a big part of this squad.”

“I’d only started two games all season and in this situation I think he had to assess the boys who had played and were fully match fit.”

“I’ve played a few more reserve games since he came in and I feel good. I want to be part of this squad and try and help Newcastle United stay in this division.”

“It’s only my fourth game of the season. It’s been frustrating having to watch the lads and not been able to help them.” “Hopefully we can all get our heads down and build on the second half performance.”

“Because that was a performance of a set of lads who are determined to stay in this division and anyone watching will see that.”

We hope so.

Alan Smith can be the hero for Newcastle, because we’re just hoping come May 24th at Aston Villa, at the end of the season, we somehow stay up, and if we do that there will no doubt be a few players who will have saved us.

We’d be very happy if that was Alan, even though we have criticized the lad quite a lot this season. But hey, it’s a lot more important that Newcastle stay up this season, than whether we are right about the players.

Do it Alan, and make us eat out words – please!

• lesh

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Before the anti-Smith brigade wade in, we need all the playeres we can get.

According to many, Viduka’s useless but he seemed to add a bit bite when he came on on Sunday.

Give the lad a chance and more to the point, give him and the rest of the team your support.

Booing, and I include booing the opposition, just doesn’t help anyone. NUFC suppporters pride themselves as being most knowledgeable and fair – show it and ffs cheer your hearts out and the lads on the pitch play theirs out with you.

A big task, but not impossible that we’ll give the Spurs a tonking next Prem season.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Dont shoot me but apart from Smiths crap attempt at goal – he did play consistant for us when he came on.

I for one will be willing to east a huge slice of humble pie if he does come good.

We need some hero’s!!

If we manage to max out sjp with bums on seats we need to be as LOUD as hell.

If that means booing & jeering Pompey when they touch the ball so be it!!!

Cheers when our boys touch the ball – so be it.

Whatever happens its three more home games and the stakes are high and the hill looks like mount everest.

• Brutooon

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM

alan smith play simple ball and is definitely better than nicky butt….damn this is my first time i said alan smith is at least a useful player!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Brutoon – I agree with you mate!

• Davies

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM

He’s had a lot of time to prove his worth, not counting this season. He was more of a hindrance than a help under Allerdyce and seemed to do nothing but attract yellow cards.

He is better than this. He knows it amd we know it. I hope he can start to show it in these last five games. Come on Smudge. Sort it out.

• Marty-Toon

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I reckon Smith has a lot more to offer than he has shown……..he just canny hit the target but i reckonn he could do BUTT`S job only better and with better pace.
    Hope those that haven`t scored for us come good.
    Smith
    R.Taylor
    Nolan
    Spidey
    or anyone who feels like hitting the target 🙂
    We need to do what we used to and that is attack as we actually have better defenders now than ever before.
    Our midfield sucks and our forwards.

I reckon a midfield of
    Smith Nolan and Guthrie could work with Jonas and Duff on the wings
    Loven and Oba(viduka) upfront
    but of course Big AL won`t drop MO

• Micky Toon

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Smith is not a forward in the sense that he is a natural finisher and will bag loads of goals. Fergie saw this and converted him to a midfielder.

I’d rather Smith start than Butt and at least Viduka wasn’t brushed off the ball. On more than one occasion he held the ball up well and allowed the attack to continue.

• mohtools

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Smith always give this 110% and that is good enough for me. Besides I think he will do a better job than Nolan.

• Zangwill_Ho

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM

no butt, it will be better

• Winston Potski

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I hope Alan Smith can find the form of his life over the next few weeks as everything we’ve seen from him has been inadeqate.
    I’d rather see him start ahead of Licky Butt tho as his distribution this year has been truly awful.
    Midfield has surely been our greatest weakness this season and must be dealt with at the end of the year.
    Like most NUFC fans, I desperately hope we can get the wins we need to survive as the thought of relegation is inconceivable.

• Winston Potski

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM

PS I hope Shearer goes with a 4-3-3 formation from now on, for the following reasons:
    Fewer midfielders (our weaker players) on the park.
    More options up front as long-ball play (whether we like it or not) is indicative of our play lately and would benefit this.
    A greater attacking threat -we need goals!

• geordie jock

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM

More words.

• BT9MAG

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM

People can say what they want about Newcastle fans – but reading you’re comments shows we do have some level headed lads in the stands!

Smith HAS been awful for us, but credit where credit is due he was OK when he came on…IMO he’s earned the right to show what he can do in place of Butt!

• Whumpie

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I thought Smith and Viduka made a huge difference when they came on. Smith provided the drive from the middle, and Dukes did what he does better than anyone.

Martins did what Martins does, and if he and Duke do that for 90 minutes it’ll pay off. I also think MO will ping a few in, starting on Monday.

BUT we do have a problem in midfield – half a dozen ‘ok’ players, and no absolute stars. If we play 4-3-3, then which 3 in the middle?

I think Loverboy, Barton and Jonas are the most explosive trio, but can they defend? And what about Smith? And will Lovenkrands tend to cut in and crowd the middle with strikers?

I’m glad we have Big Al to work this stuff out. So far he’s impressed and I trust him to make the right decisions based on what he’s done so far.

• Whumpie

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Sorry – Big Al AND Dowie. I suspect the latter has had a hell of a lot to do with the good thinking that’s been shown so far.

• beamish

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:23 PM

What’s the difference between Alan Shearer and Newcastle United?

Shearer will still be on Match of the Day next season.

• Whumpie

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Arf.

• sohica17

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I believe he has won his chance for next week.
    the only people now i see playing with theirs hearts are, only smith, bassong, harper, guti.

• Leo

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM

i was one of the former anti smith brigade but for some reason i have warmed to him, compared to sh1tty butt who is absolutely shoit

i would do anything to see smith in the team rather than butt

please will someone answer my prayer

• Brutooon

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:18 AM

the problem we face is that nicky butt always get an automatic selection, if i were the manager we better play with guthrie-Nolan (both younger,more stamina and better passing than butt)

• NUFC HOPE

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:48 AM

what? good second half shift?

not true. His performance was average at best, just like the rest of our team’s was. His shot on goal? yeah, it came pretty close.

I would have given nile a chance.

• sohica17

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM

? typical anti-smith brigade

• Obafan

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Indeed like Brutoon said, Smith is a better option than Butt. But if we got to rely on Smith it is not that good.

• Tom_Toon