Redknapp Still Thinks Newcastle Can Beat The Drop

Harry Rwedknapp still thinks that Alan Shearer can keep Newcastle in the Premier, despite Newcastle appalling record this year.

harry-redknapp-327

Harry Redknapp – thinks Newcastle can beat the drop

Newcastle suffered their 15th defeat of the season yesterday, and have just 3 points from our last 8 games and just 8 points from our last 15.

Why are we second bottom? Because we have just 3 points from our last 8 games and just 8 points from our last 15.

Yes, after 18 games played we actually had 22 points, and that was after the Tottenham win at home in December.  But Harry Redknapp still thinks Newcastle can stay up and he thinks it’s the 3 games at St. James’ Park that can do it for Newcastle.

Harry said:

“They’ve still got a big chance of staying up. They’ve got three winnable home games and they will be all-important.” “They’re not in a very good position, but I still think they’ve got every chance of getting out of it.”

“Let’s be honest, Hull can’t win a game. St James’s Park can be an intimidating place, and they have to use that to their advantage in their final three home games.” “They have three games now where they’re going to have to lift the roof off the place.”

“If they do that, they can win all three games.”

It’s true that both Middlesbrough and Hull have tough run-ins to the season, and if Newcastle can just get out of their comatose state we’ve been in for nearly four months now, we still can survive, and that would be a massive achievement. given our position in the league right now.

But our players have to show more skill, courage and guts, if we are going to do that. And we would have to win all three games at home, not just a couple. We hate to say this but we don’t have high hopes of that, because our players have let us down too many times this season.

We hear all about how they are going to play well in the next game, and that they’ve been great in training, and they will be trying their hardest , and they say all the right things before each game, and then they turn out and put in 45 minutes like the first half yesterday.

To say that is disappointing to the multitudes of Newcastle fans spread all over the world, is one massive under-statement.

,nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Shearer, who felt aggrieved by referee Mark Halsey’s decision not to award a penalty following a rash tackle by former United defender Jonathan Woodgate on Martins, also explained his decision to start with a strange formation. He added: “It was a 3-4-1-2. We tried to get Jonas (Gutierrez) in behind Michael Owen and Andy Carroll.

“I felt I had to play that way because we have one left-back at the club and he’s injured. That’s why we started with that.

“I felt it worked at Stoke and I was hoping to carry that on in this game.”

• Stuart79

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I don’t want to be seen as kicking someone when their down but muck fee!!!

Were in this position because of the terrible decisons of the regime!

I mean who was really responsible for transfers?

We needed a left back all season ad that particular chicken has come home to roost!

We desprately needed a midfielder who could pass the ball and create things, what did we get? Nolan!

It’s a complete shambles!!!!

When you spend less than every other club you end up at the bottom.

When you sell ya best players and buy poorer players you end up at the bottom!

Talk about a double whammy!

I’ve decided whatever happens this season Ashley has to sell up, take a loss whatever just sell up and let someone buy the club who can afford to own a premier league club, cos he obviously can’t!

• NUFCDavid

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:18 AM

i’m not being funny but if the players put in performances like that, we’re not gonna stay up. i’m really starting to get bored with all the players coming out in the press saying things like we’re really confident and up for the game, and then putting performances in like that, its a joke, and finally i think michael owen would have been more use sitting at home than he was yesterday, its a disgrace!

• Ericles

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Let’s face it. Is Shearer listening either?

• beamish

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Hi guys. Bennytoon here! Unfortunatly it appears i have been banned after spurs spanked you lot at the weekend. Ed obviously was worried that my comments would send broon ale over the edge after he had his breakdown on here last week. So i have had to change my username for the umpteenth time.

Firstly , what happened to newcastle picking up there annual 3 points at the lane? I did say we were miles ahead in terms of playing staff plus we had something to play for this time with european qualification a possibility now. I wont go into the defeat anymore as this blog is more about me nowdays than your struggling team. So i will make this my last post.

For what its worth i still think you will stay up as boro will lose there next 2 games and hull look shot to pieces. So no hard feelings and good luck for the rest of the season.

All my love
    bennytoon OBE

• JJJ

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Lets be honest boys…

Chances are we werent going to get anything at Spuds.
    Our survival chances start now…
    We have to pick up 8 points from 5 games I reckon, and considering the opposition is just as shit as us for 2/5 games we have a chance.
    So with the return of a hold up striker and a couple midfielders who can pass, lets hope they can end with some pride.

• BT9MAG

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

JJJ I agree, it was just the manner of the defeat – morale of both the players and the fans is now low!

When people talk about ‘must win’ 3/5 of these games are…And to be honest, if we can’t beat our fellow relegation candidates at SJP, the players DO deserve to go down…The dissapointing this is, none of those responsible will give 2 s**ts and it’ll only be the fans who’re left to suffer in the championship!

• davis_toons

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

beamish // Apr 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Thanks. Its Just Us. (Or Ashley)

• JJJ

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Glad you think we’ll stay up Benny, cos most of us dont… but still glad I support the toon over the spuds.

You still wont make Europe though. I reckon that will go to Fulham who derserve it the most.

• broon ale

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

a reasonable post by moobs for a change.

i guess he can rest in peace knowing wpurs have broke that 6 game losing streak,.

somehow i dont think its the last of him though.

• Stuart79

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Well I’d rather money spent on players than paying managers and dof’s off!

He and his stubborness has cost us our premier league status.

His fans will come on here and say he has more to lose than us. That’s bull sh1t! He will only lose money which is material. We will lose our pride, dignity and more than that, the city of Newcastle will lose a premier league football club.

People will lose their jobs at the club also around the town as there won’t be as many supporters in town before and after.

Shame on you Mike Ashley!

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

we ALL knew on february 2nd this year that we had a very strong chance of going down

cheers ashley you c***

we will rise again! maybe this season if not next seas0n!

• Whumpie

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Cheers, Moobs – nice post. JJJ – a bit unsporting, old chap.

I thought the Spuds had some class acts on the field yesterday, especially poor Dawson, and Lennon is scary at times. We were, um, less so – but again there were a few who did well to carry the rest – Bassong for one.

• batty

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Stuart79 // Apr 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Well I’d rather money spent on players than paying managers and dof’s off!

He and his stubborness has cost us our premier league status.

Shame on you Mike Ashley!
    <<<<spot on m8

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM

tottenham were woeful yesterday. they was there for the taking in the second half but when youve got poor players it doesnt help!

toon toon black and white army!

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM

batty. you said you were confident when shearer took over. wed stay up. are you know mate??

im not

• batty

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM

but i do think in 8 days time we will be 1 point from saftey

• davis_toons

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Not until it is completely over. We are still staying in this EPL. We will be ok.

TO THE PLAYERS

PLEASE GET YOUR PAY AND DO THE JOB FOR THIS FINAL FEW MATCH.

• batty

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM

RyanToon yep still 70 30 we stay up ryan

• Toon Graeme

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Did anyone see Ashley and Llambias’s faces at full time! Sums it up – how do you think we feel.

Mr 43 points – my arseend!

Anyway – We have got to spread the word to have everyone singing there moobs and boobs off on Monday week against Pompey.

Let the pompey players feel our wrath everytime they touch the ball.

Let our boys hear our united voice everytime they touch the ball.

Im gonna do my upmost best to get behind the lads but it takes more than one.

Whats done it done and we can do f’all about it now apart from look back and then forward.

All about Pompey home now!

UNITED we stand.

• Stuart79

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I think it might be difficult to win three hime games when we haven’t won at home all year and have only won 6 games all season!

One win would normally change everything but if we win on Monday we then go to Anfield and our bubble will be well and truly burst!

• batty

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:16 AM

RyanToon i can see hull getting 2 points at the most and if we beat the smoggs and portmouth i think that could be enough m8

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM

my team for portsmouth game

harper

s.taylor beye bassong enrique

————butt

—-jonas guthrie duff

—–carroll—-martins

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:19 AM

batty i can see us getting these points

portsmouth 3
    liverpool 0
    middlesbrough 3
    fulham 1
    aston villa 0

is seven enough??? cant see it mate

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:21 AM

anyone a little hacked off that owen seems to be untouchable since al has come in??

imo carroll was far better than owen yesterday but got taken off!

• batty

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM

RyanToon have you looked at hulls and boros fixtures m8

• batty

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM

just hope stoke get summit of hull and we will be ok and if we beat portsmouth they will be back in it

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM

i hope so batty

• stevep

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I can’t see us winning 3 games, the players we have just aren’t good enough and aren’t up for the fight.

It shows just how bad Wise was at picking players Bassong being the only decent player signed (and it’s not even wise who signed him)

Collocini
    Ryan Taylor
    Lovenkrands
    Gonzalez
    Nolan
    Guitterez ( looks great on the ball but never any end product)

All or some of them may look great at Man U (i.e. darren fletcher) but add them to the rubbish we already have at the club and you can see why were going to be relegated

• Toon Graeme

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Ryan – who knows mate what goes on behind the scenes. Carroll was excellent in the air yesterday – but again the supply was crap.

I think Barton WILL light a fire in the midfield.

• durhammag

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Guys and Girls

Lets face it, this club has been in decline for the past 4 years and what we are experiencing now is a culmination of poor decision making on and off the field during this time. Any club who has been prepared to chop and change managers as often as we have will never have long term success, and I have to say that the catalyst for all of the managerial coming and goings have been the fans. The board took the popularist stance when the team wasn’t performing under SBR and sacked him; Souness was sacked after 18 months at the fans request; Roeder got a year and we bayed for him to be fired. He was. Allerdyce was ousted when the new owners came in and listened to the fans calling for Keegan… and now we have Shearer, who lets not forget, was the fans choice, and reading this and other boards, it appears the tide of opinion is turning against him. Could it be possible that Shearer was not the right choice and the vast majority of fans mistook excellence on the field for some kind of ability off it. The fact that Shearer “understands” Newcastle is completely irrelevant. In the modern game the manager has to have tactical nous, and Big Al just doesn’t have the experience. I have always been opposed to Shearer as manager, and I just hope that those fans who were demanding his return don’t start demanding his exit.
    We are going to be relegated and we have to take some portion of the blame. Next season, we have to SUPPORT Shearer, if he stays, no matter what because WE are the ones who wanted him in the role. We have to accept the manager that WE chose is on a steep learning curve and stick with him when he makes mistakes. That is the only way that the club will gain the stability it needs and start the long hard fight back to the Premiership

• RyanToon

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

toongraeme

yeah agreed he was. when i look at carroll compared to ameobi its just a massive difference

• Stuart79

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

The players being up for the fight just isn’t enough. Fight doen’t create chances or score goals!

That’s were quality comes in and we are so short of that it’s frightening!

I don’t think this squad would get us promoted back to the PL!

• mohtools

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

JJJ and the others

Please do not give up. Once management stop playing with Nolan, Butt, R.Taylor and Owen we will not get those wins.

Shearer has to start playing with players that care about the team. Carroll, Ranger and Guthrie.

why don’t they care?
    Owen: I will leave next summer I hated my time in Newcastle…this place is cursed
    Viduka: Even if we stay up… they will release me so why would I give my 110%
    Butt: I really want to help but my fitness and focus is not as good as 5 years ago….
    R. Taylor: Bruce sold me because he knew I was not that good…. and I played for Wigan OH Am I really that bad?
    NOLAN: I want to go back to Bolton.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Ryan – Ameobi doesnt even come into my mind. Ranger and Lovenkrandz feature first.

Anyway – just in repsonse to Durhammag. I never called for Keegan to be brought back and was surprised when he did and never called for shearer to come back as manager.

As united supporters we have to stand by him (Shearer) no matter what he does for us.

At the end of the day – this has been a season of shite and it aint over yet.

If GOD truly exists I call on him to come up with some devine intervention and rescue us from this position.

My calls to have SJP / Boardroom and training pitch to be blessed fell on deaf ears. I still beleive we are cursed!

The players have GOT to sort their shite out for next monday and no more of this positive press spin bollox before kick off. Had enough of that this season!!!!!

HOWAY THE MAGS!

• Davies

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Durhammag. Good post. Most sensible post on here for a long time. I still have hope though.

• komfort

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM

durhammag , sorry mate but i wont except any portion of blame , i dont run the club just spent my money on them and offer my support as i have for the last 25 years…we all know who to blame.

• Flan

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Guthrie has to start ahead of Nolan for the rest of the games at least he can pass the ball foward. R Taylor was awful i mean who in their right mind passses the ball into space for Viduka! I might get pasted for this but smith wasn’t as bad as usual he played a few nice passess(along with the customery shite ones) but overall if you were to look at the game yesterday and didn’t know any better it would be hard to pick out the team that was in a relegatio n”dogfight” cause there was no fight in that newcastle team.

• Stuart79

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Durhamag

I ain’t to blame for this shambolic excuse of a team!

I pay my money and have my opinion and as a paying supporter rightly so!

Ashley sacked Alladyce bcause he thought he was pig headed, which is just ridiculous!

He employed KK (a manager known for spending money and bottling it) and then appointed three people to buy and sell players for him. Again a utterly ridiclous decision!

Whatever anyone thinks the dye was well and truly cast before Kinnear came to the club!

One is responsible.

Prudence just doesn’t achieve anything but struggles and ultimately relegation!

Ask Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool what being in debt has done to them. They win things and make money in the champions league!

Ask Coventry, Southampton, Charlton and Norwich what having a great healthy balance sheet has done for them.

They all got relegated to the championship Charlton are in Div one next year and will be followed by either Southampton, Norwich or both!

It’s only since they got relegated from the PL that their money problems started.

If you don’t invest in the playing squad you get relegated and then the money troubles start!!!!!

Hope Mike Ashley is pleased with himself!

• Robbanufc

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM

As usual, I will focus on the positives of the match! Smithy was able to pass the ball around! start him and dump butt for the Portsmouth game! He had a couple of insane passes, and give us Huddlestone in the summer.. he was man of the match in my opinion.

Martins seemed fired up, and he wanted to score! Carroll too, you see who want us to stay up!

Smithy and Barton for Portsmouth game in central midfield, and we’ll have the spanish bull back!

Harps
    Beye – S.Taylor – Bassong – Enrique
    Guthrie – Barton – Smith – Jonas
    ——–Martins – Carroll——

The worlds most fighting midfield.

We can bring on Owen and Dukes for Smith and Carroll if we cant get the goals in!

I predict a 4-1 win! Howay the lads! Slow defenders vs. Martins! Andy Carroll will score 1 goal, and Smith will get his first goal for us!