All Hands To Fending Off Relegation In The City Of Newcastle

A mayor on Tyneside has today called for a United effort to save Newcastle United in their battle against relegation.

nufc-crowd-2

Newcastle United fans

North Tyneside Mayor John Harrison has today given his support behind the Evening Chronicle and Newcastle United Supporters’ Club (NUSC) campaign ‘Al-together now’.

Newcastle have also brought in an opera singer to create the atmosphere in St James’ Park ahead of Monday night’s crucial clash with Portsmouth.

Opera singer Graeme Danby will again sing the famous Blaydon Races on the pitch on Monday night, when the stadium is expected top be packed full of over 52,000 fans to cheer the lads on.

And the club has decided to hand out 20,000 flags in addition to over 1,000 scarves, to create what the club hopes will be a fantastic atmosphere as the players take to the field for the game. That will also send a message to the Portsmouth players of course, like what are they in for on the night?

Mayor Harrison said today:

“It’s vital the team and Alan know we’re behind them all the way and that’s why I’m urging all political parties on the Tyne to join the Al-together now campaign to raise the roof in the final games.”

“This is not just a football team but the beating heart of a community and the team will receive a telegram from North Tyneside Council wishing them the best of luck.”

“It’s great that the Chronicle and the fans through Newcastle United Supporters Club are pulling together.”

Great words from the mayor, and his borough includes Wallsend where of course Alan Shearer, and other great players like Michael Carrick grew up playing their junior football on Tyneside.

A spokesperson for the club said:

“Many Newcastle fans will remember the end-of-season encounter with Pompey at Gallowgate in 1992, when a late David Kelly winner helped the side successfully pull away from the bottom of the old Division Two.”

“Those involved that day still recall the great atmosphere, and it will be needed again on Monday.”

It’s great that the club, fans and mayor are doing this of course, but it’s still going to be down to the players, at the end of the day.

However, if this doesn’t tell them just how special the City of  Newcastle is to play their football – nothing ever will.

Howay The Lads!!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

You know what it is – I was thinking about Graham Danby this morning and him singing before the match!!!!

Whatever happens I echo the calls to be there and in fine voice and going for the full 90 mins and raise the roof at SJP.

• Toon_Fresh

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:22 PM

This is the coolest thing I’ve ever heard. I’m getting the chills just thinking about the atmosphere on Monday.

If only I weren’t thousands of miles away. I’ll showing my support here in Chicago!

• Mags

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Yep hopefully lots of noise and fingers crossed for a full house too. I believe there are black and white cards on all seats, plus flags and scarves being handed out as well as Graeme Danby. I hope it all makes for an intimidating atmosphere for Pompey. We so need that win.

Toon Graeme in answer to your query on a previous blog, I sit in cheap seats corner of Leazes (nearest the East Stand).

It is our duty to support the Toon. HOWAY THE LADS AND KEEP THE FAITH.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Mags –

Should be a good one. Im rather excitied tbh. Lets just hope the lads can do the bus on the pitch and we do our part.

Im on access 8 on level 7 (literally), which makes the half time toilet dash so much easier!

Gonna be a long day on Monday – will prob be at SJP for about 7 ish.

• Mags

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Toon Graeme – been up there a couple of times for friendly matches, forgot my pitons and needed oxygen when I got to my seat!!!! Great sport though watching others toil up the steps.

Everything crossed for Monday, canna say I am excited, just b***** nervous.

• Valdo

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM

C’mon,
    I’m flying up monday afternoon and I’m already well fexcited
    Haway!!!

• mohtools

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I will support too from China!!!

• stevep

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Well I hope it’s better than the great atmosphere we provided for Shearers first game against Chelski, woeful support that day – nobody around me would sing!

• kkma

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:13 PM

The crucial match kicks off at the midnight time in Hong Kong but I am sure many fans here will still cheer for Toons. Howay the Lads !

• NUFC HOPE

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I wish I could be at this game. I wish I could even watch this game on a TV. Nowhere around me will play NUFC. Hopefully I can find a working stream.
    HOWADAY THE LADS

• sahota

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Com’on guys just put your energy on Monday into team. Shout loudly. I will be cheering at home in front of tele…specially got SETANTA for this match…But I am also nervous at same time…
    I just hope we win Monday and then I am hopeful we can pull it together.

LETS DO IT TOGETHER LADS.

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Me and my lass will be watching the game from Nashville and we’ll both be in black and white 🙂 I’ve made a mags supporter out of her and THAT is something I will always be proud of. This is her first game to watch. The atmosphere will be electric, and trust me- I’ll be singing along to Blaydon Races from my home in Tennessee 🙂

HOWAY THE BLACK AND WHITE!!!!!!!!!

• Tom_Toon