Newcastle Injury Update – Enrique Should Play Monday Night

Alan Shearer is hoping to have Jose Enrique back for Monday’s night’s big do-or-die game with Portsmouth at St. James’ Park.

nufc-players-training

Jose Enrique – in training yesterday

The Spanish Under-21 International twisted his knee in training two weeks ago, and has missed the last two games at Stoke City and Spurs.  But Enrique is expected to make a return to full training by the end of the week, and will liekly take his place at left back, as the only specialist left-back we have in the squad.

Shearer has even played a back three for those last two games, but hopefully will revert to a back four for the vital Portsmouth game – we’ve never liked a back three formation.

Alan talked to Newcastle United TV on Jose Enrique this morning:

“We’re hopeful on Jose,” “He’s should be back in full training by the end of the week and that will give him a chance for Monday.”

But there was some bad news yesterday as a scan revealed that Steven Taylor has indeed injured his ankle again, and it looks like the local youngster will be out at least another two weeks, which is another blow to the side, as Steven was playing his best football of the season before he got injured against Arsenal.

Taylor limped out of Sunday’s defeat at Spurs at half-time.

Joey Barton is now back in light training but has not played since January, after suffering another broken metatarsal, and it was hoped he would be back in full training this week.

However, it looks like that has been delayed a little as Alan said this morning:

“Joey Barton has not returned to full training yet but should do over the weekend.” “He is doubtful for the game and as is Steven Taylor.

“But we’re not giving up hope on anyone.”

It’s very unlikely that Alan will risk either of these players on Monday night, and with Shearer probably reverting to a 4-3-3 formation, it will be interesting to see what the back will look like.

We have a feeling that Alan will again turn to 21 year-old David Edgar and may play the Canadian either as a right- back, or even in the center with Sebastien Bassong. He could also use Beye in the center of defense, and he could also recall the more experienced Argentine, Fabricio Coloccini to the side.

But that defense looks quite strong, whoever Alan selects, and should be able to get the job done, which on Monday night has to be a clean sheet.

The team have had two clean sheets this year, one away in the FA Cup to Hull City in early January (0-0), and the other one in late February, at home to Everton (0-0).

We need another one on Monday night, and we need the strikers to get some goals – we think that will add up to a win – but it’s been so long ……. 😀

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Aye nice job wise and co for not recruiting where we needed it most.

Shame about Tayls being out.

Hope to see enrique back on Monday.

Monday is gonna be a long day.

Im hoping to be at sjp around 7 ish to soak up some pre match atmosphere and get me breath back from getting upto level 7.

Ive got to admit I like cheering the lads when they come on and jeering the opposition when they come to warm up to. 🙂

I doubt we will keep a clean sheet but if we go out 4 3 3 and actually do something in the first half – I will predict 2 – 1 to the toon.

• Whumpie

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I’m off to Spain tomorrow, but I’ve had the good taste to buy a house where the local pub is run by a Toon. The beer’s poor, but the telly’s got the important stuff on it.

Howay the lads – stuff the Pomps for 4!!

(And, in a blatant bit of advertising, you can take a look at my luvverly pad and rent it… but not this weekend: http://www.algorfaholiday.com)

I’ll give 20% off to anyone who books and mentions this blog! Toon Army rate.

• Whumpie

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM

…and back on thread:

We need Jose back, especially with Tayls out. Hopefully Colo can be re-introduced soon, if Big Al has managed to get his head straight.

No idea who’s going in midfield, mind – sounds like Nolan will feature, but further forward. Does that clash with the Owen-Duke-Martins front 3? Dunno.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Whumpie – I take it you are off to Spain?!?

Im on a 4 week count down to my trip to Benidorm on the 24th of May – which by chance happens to be our last match against Villa. Im already at loggerheads with the Mrs about sodding off to the pub at 5pm to watch it – alas if she could only understand!!!

Could he be planning a forward three with the duke and oba upfront with Nolan behind and benching MO.

Can we out tactic Pompey??
    Can we outplay pompey?
    Can we walk away with 3 points?
    Can I stop asking can we questions?

Only Monday will tell!

• roscoe

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM

back 4 of :
    Beye Colo Bass Jose

Should be solid, colo didn’t get crap overnight!

Keep the faith!

TOONTOON

• roscoe

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Team v Pompey:

Beye Colo Bass Jose
    Taylor Guthrie Jonas
    ____Nolan_____
    ___Owen Oba___

• Micky Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I’ve been as optimistic as anyone can be, but no win on Monday = Relegation I reckon.

• Whumpie

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Graeme – you went all ‘voice-over man’ on us there.

I have yet to approach the subject with the missus. I may have to accept dog-house status, but then:

a) It’s easier to gain forgiveness than permission
    b) She’s due to be ridin’ the white cotton pony then anyway.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Micky Toon – Im following your line of thinking, but will put that to the back of my mind until 2150pm on Monday night.

That fat lady aint singing just yet!

I keep waking up and my first thought of the day is NUFC and relegation. Thats how much I am worrying about it.

Least if we do go down – we kit look ok for next season. No concelation like!

• Johno Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM

My mrs thinks im leaving her becasue im in such bad form of late , I do feel very guility about my mood swings with her but i dont think i can tell why im in such bad mood as i know she wouldnt understand it

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Johno – I think I can recognise what you are feeling there fella. NUFC is my first thought of the day and last at night and nearly always in the forefront of my mind.

I smashed a cup on Sunday at full time by launching it accross the room- that didnt go down well with the mrs at all.

Just tell the mrs mate! We got your back!

• Johno Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:43 PM

i almost broke the young lads bike when bent scored sunday! its all consuming nufc , but im slowly converting her as a fan , she aint into football but we r getting her into it!

Cheers graeme!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Johno – my littlun kept asking me “whats wrong daddy” then sent me to the naughty step and took me there by the hand!!

He’s too little for the matches but he will be there with me before long.

• Johno Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM

haha kids r crazy!

Never been to newcastle let alone a game nobody to go with , all my mates are utd liverpool or villa fans,

And they wont go back to newcastle as they were on a stag ( which i couldnt go at the last minute ) and unfortuntly one of the lads died so they wont come over with me . I cant blame them they are all still upset over it. Hence why im converting the mrs to be a fan!

• beamish

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Really fancy pompey for this game. One more win and they are safe. Been very good with my newcastle predictions this season. In fact i tipped you to go down on the first day of the season. Just wish i had put a few quid on it.

• Johno Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:10 PM

a utd mate of mine put a tenner @ 18s on us going down , he is asking me now if i fancy going to see ipswich v newcastle next season!

• Isaac Hunt

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Benny B’stard. You should be on the stage!

• G 2

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I hear Barton might not make it, i would play him if he had a broken leg over Butt.

• Isaac Hunt

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:15 PM

“…. broken leg over Butt”? ffs. That was a nasty tackle!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:16 PM

G2 – Suppose he could use crutch for free kicks and corners to get past the first man ala golf style.

Joke 🙂

• Micky Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM

If we do get relegated and end up at swindon, at least we’d have a chance to sing the old Keano song again.

• Micky Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Swindon??? Christ, we are bad, but not bad enough to drop more than one division in a season! Obviously I mean Ipswich.

• Stevo

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM

beamish – i really fancy you f*cking off. What a helmet.

• Isaac Hunt

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Good grief! They’re talking about abusing his crutch now!

• Stevo

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Comments???!!!

• Stevo

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:22 PM

This blog is doing my head in, wheres my comments?!?! FFS

• Toon Graeme

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Micky Toon – good rescue – I thought you were planning on us falling very low down the leagues there mate 🙂

• G 2

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:26 PM

We have 0 creativity, we need to play 4-3-3 if we have any chance of scoring.

• Johno Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM

that was done so seemingless i didnt even notice micky toon 🙂

• Craigg

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Pompey last night made me more confident of a win they are p*ss poor and without Kranjcar they lack any quality in midfield
    (The Same could be leveled at us like….)

Crouch is a handfull but gets very isolated away from home and i have no doubt we’ll win.

3-1 IMO Owen, Martins and Weirdly i think Spiderman may nab a goal.

———————-Harper———————
    –Coloccini—Beye——Bassong——Enrique–
    ———–Jonas—–Nolan———Barton——
    ————————Owen—————————
    ————Viduka————Martins—————-

Subs: Krul, Edgar, Geremi, Butt, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Ranger

I would start Coloccini at RB as ive seen him play there for Argentina and he was solid and is pretty useful with the ball also if there is a language problem with the other defenders he should link nicely with Gutierrez down the right.

Beye and Bassong must be kept at CB for the remainder of the season as they are far more consistant than our other options and look like a good developing partnership.

Barton even 70% would start for me, If we lose this we wont recover. He is needed more to us against Pompey in a must win match than Liverpool where we havent got a prayer, If we get a good hour out of him we can rest him for the scouse game in preparation for the smogs and Fulham.

• beamish

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I reckon you will stand a good chance of making the play offs next season. I would tip west brom to win the division as they will keep there squad together. Gibson is a good chairman who will back his manager, so i tip them to run west brom close. Qpr are my dark horses for div 1 as they are loaded.

• Stuart79

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Whumpie

What you make of that part of Spain?

I’ve got a place in Guadamar. New urbanisation called El Raso. Bars, restaurantes all on the estate. They use to have all Toon games on at the Irish pub but they can’t show em now, some stupid Spanish law(again)

• Shot Bru

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Nice Team Craigg, i would probably play Guthrie instead of Nolan. Totally agree with you about Beye and Bassong too. The 433 formation is the way to go for 4 of the last 5 games. Assuming we get the win we so desperately need against Pompey, i reckon we should go to Anfield and use the same set up we did against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Play 451, negative shut up shop football just to protect our goal diff if nothing else. However i guess we just gotta take one game at a time.

• SpartanChris

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I think we should keep Beye at right back, he’s a natural right back and is good going forward which is what we need. Edgar and Bassong as CBs for me.

• Craigg

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Shot Bru

I agree with you mate, Guthrie would defo start for me too but just reading into what Dowie said earlier id expect Nolan to play.

To be fair to Nolan he has been restricted to a deeper role than his at Bolton, Like Gerrard and Lampard with England my mates keep on moaning about their contribution but if we dont play them in their natural positions how can we expect to play their natural game.

I think Nolan can be class for us but only with a Veloso like playmaker sitting behind him allowing him to get in the box and possibly get into double figures.

• ELFER

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:58 PM

To give Nolan a more attacking roles builds this team in my mind:

———————-Harper———————
    Edgar—Beye——Bassong——Enrique
    Nolan—————Smith—————Jonas
    ————————Owen—————————
    ————Viduka————Martins————

Hm, would love to see that (I put Smith in, becouse I don’t think Barton will be fit. If Barton is fit – imagine the strong formation!)

• Johno Toon

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I would play collocinni as a defensive midfielder , he is very good passing and tackling and general all round play , where he is poor imo his the air

• beamish

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM

good article about newcastles fans being the cause of there downfall.

• Stuart79

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Well the fans will never change so we just have to lump it I’m afraid

• Macas35

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Benny/Beamish – same old cliches being bandied about, fans don’t believe they have a divine right to success and Allardyce was talking us down, no doubt about it. Only Keegan changing the formation saved us, however I wonder if Ashley sacked Allardyce when he did to avoid having to splash out in the January transfer window.