Newcastle Now Odds-On Favorites To Be Relegated

As we mentioned earlier this morning Alan Shearer scored his 201st goal for Newcastle in February, 2006 at St. James’ Park to break Jackie Milburn’s goal scoring record at the club.

jackie-milburn-2

The great Jackie Milburn

And Alan hopes that will be an omen as he said today:

“I hope it is an omen to clutch on to.” “But what I am aiming for is my first win as a manager.”

Shearer is hoping that Newcastle can take some heart and encouragement from the way both Bolton and Fulham escaped the drop last seaosn, and then have done well this season, well certainly better than last year.

Shearer added:

“They were in the same situation this time last year.” “We have to look at that and take heart from it.”

“I think nine points could just be enough looking other teams’ fixtures.” “I might be wrong but I’m asking the players to win their three home games, starting with Monday against Portsmouth.”

Newcastle are now odds-on favorites, at 4-6 to be relegated this season, and that’s hardly surprising with the team now a full 4 points from safety, and only 15 points to play for, and two of those games are away to Liverpool and Aston Villa, both top five teams.

But it’s not an impossible task, although it will need our players to start playing a lot better than they’ve played of late, an awful lot better in fact.

Maybe Alan can show the films of Newcastle winning those 3 FA Cup finals in the early 1950s.

Show the film of Jackie Milburn scoring one of his two goals against Blackpool in 1951, when he ran half the length of the pitch and wasn’t offside because he received the ball just inside his own half, and then Milburn scored from a header in the very first minute against Manchester City in 1955.

If that doesn’t stir our players – they must be dead and comatose – and no wonder they haven’t been winning lately. 😀

• Girth

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

8th

• BT9MAG

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

We never make it easy for ourselves!

It’s as simple as this, if we can’t beat our fellow relegation candidates at home then we deserve to go down and they deserve to stay up…My uni footy team got relelgated yesterday – I hope THAT isn’t an omen!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I suppose we will know more at 8pm on Monday and even more at 2150pm.

• brownrob

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM

What are the odds on us staying up this season as of now? It could be worth a £10 punt

• beyethegreat

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Not that I normally go by what Mark Lawrenson predicts but he has us at a 2 – 1 win and a nervy match. He’s on my wave length.

Im gonna drain my skybet account and bet on we to win and stay up!

• chuck

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Yeah Jackie scored a couple of memorable goals with his head but unlike Shearer was`nt really noted for his airial ability, that was taken care of by G. Robledo.
    Newcastle were quite inovative at that time, employing both Millburn and Robledo in a twin CF role with Mitchel and Walker supplying the amunition from the wings.
    There was always a creative inside forward to suppliment the five man forward line, which in truth was more like 3-4-3 the center half playing further back than the half backs and the two inside forwards playing behind the wingers and CF.
    There`s a CD available of the 55 cup final against a good Citeh side who unfortunately lost a player to injury in the early stages of the game.
    It`s interesting to watch from a perspective of how the game has changed over the years, some for the better, some not.
    Check it out, it`s available at the store just down around the corner from the Irish Centre.

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I don’t know what to say. I’m so nervous and yet excited. You Geordies will be proud to know that I’ve recently made a Mags supporter out of my girlfriend. Monday will be her first game to watch lol! What a HUGE game. I’m hoping it’s going to be a good omen.

Howay the Black and White!!!

• Johno Toon

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM

and if we lose ohurley we will know who to blame 🙂

Only messing im converting the mrs myself,

Would be too worried about the odds more than likly a punter who has no idea about football has put a large bet on us and the bookies are just cutting the price,

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM

DENiro – What you pasting old news for? Were in the now fella or you just a wum??

• Johno Toon

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:39 PM

sorry that should be ‘ wouldnt ‘

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Johno-

If we lose- I’m dumpin’ the lass!! HAHAHA!!!

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Graeme-

What’s a “wum” ? lol

• Johno Toon

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM

hahaha ohurley your a legend!

a ‘ wum ‘ is a wind up merchant someone who is taking the piss

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Johno-

Thanks for said clarification on proper uses of Geordie vernacular 🙂

My copy of the New Geordie Dictionary is at home, cos I’m “at me graft” 🙂

And I’m serious, LoL, I can’t live with a woman if she curses my team. So this game is as big for our relationship as it is for the Toon haha!!

• beamish

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM

WUM= tom-toon

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Beamish-

lol!! What happened to Tom_Toon? I haven’t seen him bloggin’ in a while…

• beamish

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:13 PM

OHURLEY- According to the facebook group he is a sunderland fan! He may have been banned after that little revelation. Never liked him.

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Beamish-

WOOOOW!!!! That little w@nker was a Mackem all along? Jeez… how did we not know??? And if he spent so much time on here, what does that say about his faith in the scum?? hahaha

• workyticket

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Chuck, it’s good to see someone mentioning the magnicent Robledo on here. There’s alot more to the history of this club than Jackie Milburn and Alan Shearer, but we’re absolutely lousy with our heritage. When’s wee Hughie Gallacher, our greatest ever player, going to get his statue?

• beamish

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Ohurley- got to give the lad credit. He has been blogging on here longer than me without dropping any real hints apart from slagging off the good players and promoting the rubbish ones. He was just trying to divide the fans whereas i try to wind the lot of them up.

• workyticket

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM

17 OHurley // Apr 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM

“Thanks for said clarification on proper uses of Geordie vernacular”

“WUM” isn’t just a Geordie thing OHurley. They use that acronym aal ower the UK, like.

• beamish

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM

while we are discussing geordie language, what does howay the lads mean . And when should the phrase be dropped into a conversation? If i was having sex with a geordie bird would it be good etiquette to say, howay the lads, after i had shot my load? Or do i have the meaning completely wrong?

• Doocey

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:28 PM

What a game Monday will be.

• Johno Toon

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:29 PM

not a geordie myself o’hurley , im irish!

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Beamish-

“Howay the lads” means literally “C’mon the lads”. It’s a way of encouraging your team to step up and kick @$$.

Worky-

Thanks for the tidbit. Ah’ll remember that, like. Ahm doin’ me best, like, to learn all theez Geordie phrases, but sometimes it’s hard, yer knaa? Ah’ll get it doon, alreet:)

• Doocey

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Where ya from Johno, in Ireland?

• beamish

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM

o hurley- so i could scream howay the lads after i had shot my load as a way of encouraging my sperm to fertalise the geordie egg. Wonderful!

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Johno-

Me too (predominately). My family is from County Cork, but we’ve been ower the lake for a good long while. My greatX3 grandfather was a man named Patrick O’Hurley. Great Irish patriot and thorn in the English side for many a year before he met and fell in love with an English noble lady. LoL, her family was PISSED!! Had both of ’em deported to America. And thus, I am here 🙂

Back to the Toon-

What I wouldn’t give for a Milburn/Robledo pairing right now. Owen and Shola just don’t even come close to cuttin’ it. And Martins should be sold to La Liga ASAP. Big Andy has a future, and MO could play for a couple more seasons provided we get some quality midfield. How immense would it be if we could snag Luka Modric from Spurs next season, provided we stay up. He has CAM written all ower him 🙂

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Doocey-

Good to see ya, m8!!!

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Beamish-

Yes, in fact you could, m8! LMAO!!!!!!

• Johno Toon

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM

im from dublin but living in kilkenny doocey, irish yourself? if so where u from?

• Doocey

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Cool. I’m from Mayo myself. Keeping the Geordie faith alive 🙂

• Shot Bru

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Beamish- you might be better off using the phrase “Howay the Lass” in that particular situation.

• OHurley

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Shot Bru-

Agreed. Beamish might be better served to scream “Howay the lass!! Howay the lass!!” as he gives it to her good and hard. LoL, forget that we ever had this conversation on this blog. 🙂

• Johno Toon

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:48 PM

that is not very many of us over here ( that i know in anyways ) so have to do the best we can i guess! have you ever gone to a game?