Shearer Hoping and Praying For First Management Win Ever

It just so happens that it was against Portsmouth that Alan Shearer beat Jackie Milburn’s record of 200 total  goals for the Tyneside club.

alan-shearer-34251

Alan Shearer – hoping for first win as manager on Monday

The Newcastle manager says he is “hoping and praying” that he gets his first win as a manager against Portsmouth on Monday night, and it looks that’s what the team needs, to give us any chance of escaping relegation this season.

Alan re-wrote the history books at Newcastle when he scored his 201st goal for Newcastle when he put the ball under Portsmouth goalkeeper Dean Kiely at the Gallowgate End, on February 4th, 2006.

Of course Alan is the leading Premier League scorer of all time, with an amazing 261 Premier League goals, and he also scored more than 150 goals while he was at Blackburn Rovers and Southampton, in addition to the 206 goals he scored for Newcastle.

Alan talked about that 201st goal for Newcastle a little this morning to the Newcastle United official site:

“I broke the scoring record against Portsmouth and I’m hoping and praying that I break my managerial duck against Portsmouth,”

“I don’t care how it arrives, as long as we get that three points.”

“But we have to be at it from the first whistle, I don’t want to be stood here on Monday night talking about a good spell of 20 minutes here and there.”

“We have to, and will be up for it from the off and, with the fans behind us, I’m confident we’ll get the win.”

We don’t care how we get the win either on Monday night, but we need all 3 points, and failure to do so will in all likelihood see us relegated for the first time ever from the Premier League.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I too would like to see us get onto the right foot from the first whistle and not the last 20 mins – 30 mins of the match.

Trust me big Al – there are several thousand other all over the world that are looking for the win too!

• Whumpie

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I’m going to be a nervous wreck. Daft, ennit?

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Whumpie – I think monday daytime I will be on a knife edge and as the afternoon goes I think the butterflies will kick in.

Its gonna be a long walk down barrack rd to SJP – Im hoping I will have a spring in my step on the way back up!

We need the Hull to loose, the mackems to win (barf) and middlesbrough to loose. Lets hope that Arseshavin finds his shooting boots again on Sunday, or any of the arsenal players for that matter. Dont let we down wengers boys and the pool – please humiliate Hull!

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:01 PM

forgot to add for Wigan to beat fat sams Blackburn!

• lesh

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Instead of wasting his time sitting about in the reseves (Subs not used: Ole Soderberg, James Taylor, Matthew Grieve), how about asking James Taylor to do a short set and lead the singing?

• PaceOba

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Toon Graeme

Totally agree with you, I’m from Malaysia will support newcastle forever. Nothing we want except win!

• PaceOba

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

lets play my link

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Its PR offensive 101 today – the chronicle and NUFC website and NUFCtv all avin a bit.

MO breaks his silence for his monthly statement (joke 🙂 ) and Oba has a very strongly worded interview with the word ‘balls’ in it! Nope I kid you not.

Its to be expected like, being it is Friday before the weekend.

Does anyone else feel like today is dragging. Work is so slow today.

• beamish