Shearer So Pleased To Have Jose Enrique Back

We’ve been surprised that Alan Shearer went to three at the back when Jose Enrique got injured.

Jose Enrique – getting better at Newcastle

While Alan is right to say Jose is our only specialist left-back, and we should have bought another one to compete with Jose by now, there are other players who can play left back for a couple of games.

David Edgar can play there as can Damien Duff, but of course it didn’t help matters, when we sold Charles N’Zogbia to Wigan in January, since he could play there quite well, and has done often.

Alan talked about Jose today to the Newcastle Journal:

“It’s posed a major problem for us, because our one and only left-back has not been fit,” “As a result, we’ve had to ask players to play out of position and go with different formations to what we would otherwise have gone with.”

“From that point of view, losing José was just about the worst thing that could have happened. If you’ve only got one left- back, you can’t afford to lose him.” “If he’d been fit, I wouldn’t have made the changes I’ve had to make. If our left- back had been fit, he would have been playing at left-back. Simple as that.”

“I think he (Enrique) found it tough when he first came in, but over the last couple of months I think he’s adapted well.” “He’s very quick and pacy and gets up and down the line well. I think he’s done well over the last couple of months.”

“We’re hopeful. He hasn’t fully trained, but he’s been working with the physios all week and that’s gone well. He’s been stepping things up, and if things go well, hopefully he’ll be in full training with us all on Saturday.”

There’s a good vote of confidence for Jose, who the Newcastle fans have taken to for his fighting qualities, and he certainly seems to be getting better at Newcastle, the longer he’s on Tyneside.

Alan will need lots of his players to stand up to the plate for him and the Newcastle United club on Monday night, it we are to avoid the disaster of being relegated, which is huge threat right now.

We can still do it, but it seems it’s up to the players now, and they need to show some guts and pride to escape the drop – and lots of it.

• Toon Graeme

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I still struggle with the fact that Kinnear reportedly tried to get rid of Enrique.

I like ‘the bull’ and always have – sure he has had a few bad games – but who hasnt this season eh.

Any member of the team who can add to our squad and get off the sicknote is welcome in my book.

We need hero’s on Monday and predict a 2 – 1 result.

We will know by 5pm tomorrow how the other teams around us have done and pray (not that its done any good thus far) that lady luck of the footballing variety helps us with the favourable results elsewhere.

• Chizzy_Toon

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I have always liked Jose, and think he brings alot to the team. Yeah his passing may not be the best at times, but he is still young and learning the English game.

I think with the right manager having confidence in him (Shearer) he will really show us what he can do next season.

• sahota

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM

@Toon Graeme I can not agree more. He comes to ground and gives his best. I think if we survive we should keep him and come next season I hope he will be brilliant. OH I am talking about next season 🙂

@Toon Graeme 2-1 is too tight mate we should win 2-0

• Davies

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I’ve liked Jose since fat Sham bought him in. He’s had a lot of stick on here, so I’m glad he’s started to pick his game up again. I thought he and Jonas played very well down the left together. Perhaps something for the manager to think about.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Got to say I’ve always liked Jose and have taken a hell of a lot of stick for it. But along with Bassong this boy is up there as one of our best players this season. He has continually been mis handled by all his previous managers at this club including the one that bought him. And he has basically stuck two fingers up at them all and said I will suceed here.

Good on ya lad.

Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose
    Jose
    Jose

• Macas35

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I think Enrique has always been one of our better defenders, but seemed to get more stick than he deserved for the odd bad game. Has done well against the likes of Lennon and Ronaldo and gets forward to good effect.

• Soren

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I think he wasn’t particularly good at first when SA bought him, and combined with his price, I felt he wasn’t a good buy. But he has certainly won me over. Now I feel like we have a very good LB for future, but certainly also for the present. He has incredible speed, remember how he handled Lennon back in December? Has improved vastly on the defence.
    He is also good at going forward, but would like to see him go further up and do a cross more often.

• davis_toons

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:10 PM

He was still young when he comes to SJP and knows nothing of the EPL. But when SAM bought him, I’m really happy to see this kind of young talent. (Spain under 21)

Now I’m even happier to he him fighting hard for us. But he still needs to improve on his defence.

Hopefully, he will stay in Newcastle for a long time.