Alan Shearer Is Newcastle’s Only Hope

Alan Shearer is new to management, which is one reason he has Iain Dowie alongside him right now, in trying to save Newcastle.

Alan Shearer – Newcastle’s one and only hope

And while we haven’t got the points that we had hoped fo in Alan’s first 4 games in charge, we have to hope that his influence on the team will soon manifest itself, so we can indeed start picking up points that will save us from relegation and the following gloom and doom.

From what young Sebastien Bassong has said this morning, it seems like Alan is having an extremely positive impact on the spirit in the dressing room, but that has not yet translated to good play on the pitch, and points in the bag.

But Alan, born and bred in Newcastle, can empathize with the Geordie fans, and he understands their frustration and disappointment right now. And certainly we have to plead guilty that sometimes our own frustration at the side, comes through in some of our articles.

Alan talked about the fans’ frustrations yesterday:

“There’s a lot of football left to be played and there will be twists and turns,” “I understand how the fans feel right now and I understand their frustrations.”

“I’m as frustrated as anyone and so are the players.” “We didn’t win the game (Portsmouth) that we so desperately wanted to and that was disappointing.”

“But it isn’t over yet – not by a long way.”

If Alan can save the side, however he does that is OK with us. He’s certainly a special guy, and seems destined to manage Newcastle for the long term.

It may even go down to the last game, but that’s going to be really hard on the old nerves for some of us, but if we succeed there will be such an upswing in the mood in Newcastle, it will be a great place to be in the summer.

If we cannot survive then there will be lots of basic decisions the club hierarchy will have to make, and one of those is whether to offer Alan full control of all team affairs.  We think if a good sincere deal is offered to Alan, to rebuild the squad and the club from the bottom up, he’ll take it.

A measure of a man is not when things are going well, but when things get tough, and they couldn’t get much tougher than they are right now, and while this will be severe test of Alan’s character in these last four game sof the season, we think he’s going to come through it all with flying colors.

Alan Shearer has had his character tested many time sin his playing career, and was never found wanting in the least, and we don’t think much will change when he’s a manager.

He’s really our one real hope at the club right now.

• stevep

May 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM

@Ed – agreed, I can’t understand people in the U.K, we seem to hate new english managers preferring any old foreign coach alongside the old guard rolled out every time a job comes up , BSA, Redknapp, Curbishley, Souness etc.
    There’s very few foreign managers done a good job managing in the EPL, the guys who have done well have had a ton of cash at thier disposal and were still sacked, Jol, Mourhino – Wenger being the exception.

Come on – lets get behind him, we’ve no other choice

• Toon Graeme

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Positivity, Spirit and confidence will only go so far. The rest has to come down to the team itself.

Ive got faith AS will do his upmost best until 1750pm on 24th May.

• Marty-Toon

May 1, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I reckon that AL is gonna be a great leader as manager.
    They say he has made a great affect on the players but 1 goal in4 games?????
    Kinnear and hughton could have got that out of them.
    It`s not Al`s fault it`s these players that are not standin up to the mark.
    Apart from:
    Bassong,Duff,Beye,Jose,Smith and Carroll
    The latter two of course being injured and not getting a start very often being their problem….

We have had a crap season and MA has had a lot to do with that but
    I blame the players first and foremost.
    You don`t all of a sudden become a bad player overnight,they just are a bunch of wusses.
    Hope we can get a miracle and stay up but it doesn`t look good

• beamish

May 1, 2009 at 10:51 AM

help me obi wan kenobe, your my only hope.

• Spitfire

May 1, 2009 at 10:51 AM

The problem is we have let good players go and replaced them with second rate players. So in a sense you can’t really blame them because they are probably doing only what they are capable of. The blame has to remain absolutely at MA’s door. There can’t be any question of how his influence and decision making has impacted on our club

• Spitfire

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Even if Obi wan Kenobe was up front playing alongside Viduka Owen and Martins he couldn’t save us either

• Ericles

May 1, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I think Shearer can lead us out the mess he did not create. In time he will become a great manager of a great Newcastle United. In the meantime I hope all have read about NUFC’s tea lady in The Sun today. What an uplift. And doesn’t she lay it on the line about Jackie’s medals and only on £20.00 per week. I hope our dressing room is listening to her, and Al. Oh, and us as well. I think with guts and flair (with the has-beens watching on TV) we can get a point. No sugar in mine please.

• stevep

May 1, 2009 at 10:57 AM

who’s this Obi wan Kenobe, does he play in reserves?
    why doesn’t Shearer pick him and drop Owen, jeez he’s looking after his mates again

• Spitfire

May 1, 2009 at 10:57 AM

What position do Guts and Flair play? Hope they are central midfielders

• beamish

May 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM

ericles- shearer hasnt shown anything to say he will be a great manager. I think he will be on a par with southgate.
    The tea lady in the sun made me laugh. I cant wait for her explosive story in the news of the world this sunday. And then for bobby robson to come out on the monday saying, I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

• Worjackie

May 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Does anyone actually think there has been a marked inprovemrnt in the teams performances since Shearer has taken over. I don’t. We are still hopeless. We gave Arsenal and Manu a better Games under Houghten and Calderwood. We were creating much better chances. I’d say we a re a little better defensively but we are still, slow on foot and in mind, in the Midfield.

We are going down, only lady luck and a win against, can keep us up now.

• Stuart79

May 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Totally agree spitfire

The players can hardly be blamed for not being good enough. We are asking them to do things they have never done.

Were asking Nicky Butt to be a creative passing midfielder! He is nowhere near that type of player. Were asking Duff to be a left back!

Nolan to score goals from midfield he never scored many at Bolton.

The squad is a disgrace and I lay the blame at Ashley’s fault.

He should have said I’ll pay 50m of the debts and give the manager 30m to spend on players. We wouldn’t be where we are now!

• Spitfire

May 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Of course Shearer hasn’t shown evidence that he will be a great manager. He has had 4 games so far. I think it might just take a little bit longer than that before anyone can draw conclusions about how good or bad he will be. Its plain silly to expect anything in the short term

• Spitfire

May 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I think players always raise their game agianst Man U and Arsenal – I don’t think its got anything to do with Calderwood and hughton. But you are right we have not materially improved but I repeat my earlier point : its because we have players who simply are not good enough and can’t do it

• stevep

May 1, 2009 at 11:13 AM

@spitfire – spot on,
    tealady – we still have a tealady, wtf: thought they went out with slavery

• workyticket

May 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I can’t believe I’m reading this kind of delusional guff, again. It’s no wonder we have such a reputation for being deluded.

• Stuart79

May 1, 2009 at 11:22 AM

workyticket // May 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Explain please Worky?

• Spitfire

May 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Yeah , Worky, who exactly is being delusional?

• Stuart79

May 1, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I prefer to call it honesty.

Something some supporters can’t seem to grasp!

• Toon Graeme

May 1, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Im not deluded – I know we are shite – doesnt stop me turning up at SJP upto an hour before kick off and leaving after – yes after the whistle has gone for full time!

If were wernt shite we wouldnt be where we are would we!

• Worjackie

May 1, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Toon Graeme

An hour before kick off. Why? Its the labour club for me, strolling in just as its kicking off. What’s on at the ground an hour before Kick off.

• Ericles

May 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Appointing Shearer as a temporary manager was a case of Ashley using a psychological ploy. We all recognise that Al has been saddled with a largely bum first team squad. I was thinking – why cannot the tea-lady pick the team against Liverpool? She seems to recognise good footballers when she sees them. Apart from a few I get the impression that a number of our players do not give a shite, and are not bothered whether we stay up or go down. If not with us they will pick up an unjustified pay packet elsewhere. So what are they? Just jobbing mercenaries going from team to team, town to town, from the premier on down. You need to be bold Alan and go for an all out attack against Liverpool. Owen thinks we cannot win so – leave him on the bench or tell him to visit his horses.
    What happened to my cup of tea?

• workyticket

May 1, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Stuart79 // May 1, 2009 at 11:22 AM

“Explain please Worky?”

Stuart, why don’t you explain why the whole club should be rebuilt around a manager who has only had four games experience? Ed wrote it himself …

“Alan Shearer is new to management, which is one reason he has Iain Dowie alongside him right now”

This is the kind of delusional thinking, that a completely inexperienced manager, someone so inexperienced that he still needs a chaperone, can rebuild our whole club just because he was born in Gosforth. It is this kind of irrational non-thinking which makes us lurch from one catastrophe to another, and also makes us such a laughing stock.

• Spitfire

May 1, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Where on earth has that diatribe come from. When and where did Stuart say the club should be rebuilt around Shearer ? You have just made that uop to ceover your rather silly statement earlier on. Worky by name and nature? Its you who are delusional old son!

• Craigg

May 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Who hand on heart would be upset to lose these players and their ridiculous wages:

Viduka £70k
    Owen £110k
    Geremi £50k
    Cacapa £30k
    Smith £70k
    Duff £70k
    Ameobi £30k
    Coloccini £50k
    Jonas £50k
    Enrique £30
    Butt £50k
    Nolan £50k

If we go down and we can get these off the wage bill and make a bit of money on some of them, We have half a chance of keeping our wanted players.

We would hopefully be on a good enough financial footing to resist offers for Bassong, Steven Taylor, Beye and Barton, Like Birmingham have done with Upson and Dunn in the past and more recently Larsson and McFadden.

Guthrie and Carroll would stick around and Edgar would get the contract he earns every time he plays, Harper would want to stay as would the majority of our youngsters as opportunities would come their way.

Players like Andrew Surman, Marvin Elliott, Leroy Lita, Kevin McNaughton and Danny Fox are good Championship players and Dare i say it Chopra and Sibierski coming back would improve us enough to come straight back up.

Just a thought if the worst really does happen…

• workyticket

May 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Spitfire // May 1, 2009 at 11:52 AM

“When and where did Stuart say the club should be rebuilt around Shearer ?”

He didn’t, Ed did. That’s what I was writing about.

• Stardust

May 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM

“If memory seves me right you all were, even stardust” referring to my being happy at Shearers appointment.

Yes I was – for one reason alone. I lay the balme for this season at the fans door more than anything, we had collectively become an embarrassment – the majority turned on the club and destroyed it this year.

In the past, Ferguson, Wenger etc used to describe being a goal behond before they arrived, that has long gone – spirit and fight, born out of always having to work for anything we achieved as a region has been repalced with weak minded fans, fans who demand success without putting in their side of the bargain – to support at all costs, to carry the team through difficult times.

At one of the most dangerous points in our history – I saw Shearer as the bridge between all fans, as the person who could re-light that fire. But the fans are different now, when the going gets tough, they shut up and are quiet and nervous, theyve lost their fight.

Shearer has made mistakes but is forgiven. Ashley makes mistakes and is savaged. Steven Taylor plays terribly, its OK he is passionate. Collo makes a mistake and should be sold.

Newcastle fans are simply not what they used to be, part product of the Premier League, societies demand for success at all costs – you might have noticed I dont post much any more. I see my efforts as futile. People has changed, the club has changed, its fans have changed, I just hope given time that Shearer can bring an honest Geordie realism again – not to mention an honest work ethic – from players, fans and management alike.

• Stuart79

May 1, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Nobody is capable of re-building this club unless Ashley fcks off!

We will need investment in the first team if we are to get anywhere.

Under Ashley it’s come more and more obvious that won’t be the case.

We are 2 yrs into a 5 year plan. Did it include relegation to the championship?

• Stuart79

May 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Stardust // May 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Think you’ll find that Ashleys mistakes are going to cost a great club and city it’s premier league status.

Little bit more serious than Shearer picking 3 at the back.

I hope we go down if it means getting rid of Ashley and prawn sandwichbrigade fans like you!

Price worth paying as we will go forward without either of the likes…..

• Worjackie

May 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM

that’s a lot of work for only a few weeks, not all of these players will leave, for a paycut. by the time we offload who we have to, reasses what our needs are, get the players targeted who we need. I think if we go down we will stay for a couple of seasons. at least. Things could be worse though, We could have payed for our season Ticket up front for three years. …. oh balls, we have.

• kevheslop

May 1, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I can agree with Stardust partially but I think it is a little OTT. The fans CANNOT be to blame for the position we are in the league, for example Man Utd and Arsenal fans are notoriously quiet in recent seasons, and critical when things are not going their way, yet the team manage to prevent that from affecting them! Wigan only get a quarter of our attendance in their ground and yet out perform our players, Man City have been getting stick from their fans all season yet could still finish 7th…..Stardust some of your observations are true, but the conclusions that the fans have caused the problem with the league position is not true….players tend to use and take an excuse when things are not going well and this lack of support type of excuse is an easy cop out for over paid, lacking in confidence, not to drawer players – and that is Shearers biggest challenge, to get the players playing, rather than copping out when the going gets tough – what has changed more than the fans is the players, we no longer see them giving 110%, playing through an injury, taking a gamble etc. and that is the root cause of the fans frustation – but there is an element of us having gradually replaced good players with average ones over the last few years, so what should we expect – it come down to problems at board level, misguided team building and managerial appointments by Shepherd followed by poor decision making and lack of funds from Ashley – were down and out I’m afraid….

• kevheslop

May 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Also, not sure Shearer can be accused of making mistakes – he has taken a team strugling to win games and tried new things such as different formations, dropping players under performing etc. so as to get a fresh formula and get the wins we desperately need – far better having a go and trying things than going down while plodding along in a failing formula……if we go down then it is due to form over 38 games, not just the 8 Shearer has taken on. By the way, nobody I know makes excuses for Taylor’s mistakes, most people I know think he is an awful player and all he has going for him is passion, also, Ashley is savaged for his mistakes as it is his poor judgement and lack of funds that has left us and Shearer in this desperate survival attempt! Stardust, your comparisons are a bit slanted, I see the point your trying to make I think, the fans DO have a part to play in this, and the team need them more than ever, but most, me included, do not have the belief for the fight anymore – and there lies the problem for me!

• lesh

May 1, 2009 at 1:03 PM

So, Sawdust lays the balme [sic] for this season at the fans door more than anything?

I suppose that the facts that:
    * MA appointed Wise,
    * persisted with him after the KK fiasco,
    * went public over his attempts to sell the club,
    * Allowed Wise to sell without replacing player
    * failed to recruit a manager as soon a JFK was due to be under the knife………

Have nothing to do with our plight?

Yer right Moondust, it must’ve been the fans wot dun it!!!

• Stuart79

May 1, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Sawdust is on the dust by the sounds of it.

He has stopped posting on here as regular because he struggles with debate when people don’t agree with him.

This is either due to him being socially inept of he’s thick as fck!

More probably both!

The blo and the club will be better without people like him who can’t see the plight the club is in due to the fact he’s up Ashley’s backside!

Good riddance to him and Ashley!

• Stardust

May 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM

“Stardust, your comparisons are a bit slanted” I agree – deliberately so – it wassnt aimed at sensible, rationale people, I like you can see all sides.

For me – the amount of cash spent didnt matter, it was improvements that counted, I dont think we have seen the best of our players, far from it, because of the situation, atmosphere and hate culture of many of our finest. It will take stability for that to happen – I think our fans are our biggest strength and weakness.

It was a post targetted at those who have forgot the club / team is the only thing thats important. And unfortunately they side track everything unless you approach a subject directly and simply.

• Stuart79