Can Sebastien Bassong Subdue The Great Fernando Torres?

Sebastien Bassong has had a great season at Newcastle, in his very first season in the Premier League, and tomorrow the 6’2″ dominant Frenchman will face probably his biggest test ever, as he goes up against one of the world’s greatest strikers in Fernando Torres.

fernando-torres-43.jpg

Fernando Torres – world-class striker

Fernando Torres has adapted to the physical game of the Premier League wonderfully well, and the man is a joy to watch, and some of his goals are just amazing.

Here’s one player, who cost Liverpool £26.5M from Atletico Madrid in 2007, and he’s been worth every penny, and has Fernando has also scored goals when they have counted for Liverpool.

It seems from his Match of the Day comments that Shearer thinks he is one of the best in the world, but now Alan has to try to contain him tomorrow, if we are to get anything at all out of the match at Anfield.

Alan talked about the Spanish striker:

“Fernando Torres is probably the best striker in the world. I’m a huge admirer of his.” “He is a great goalscorer and the scorer of great goals. He is a top, top player, with power, pace, work-rate but more importantly goals.”

“So our defenders will know on Sunday afternoon that they have been in a game. Have we got enough to keep him quiet? I believe so.” “Probably our best player since I came here has been Sébastien Bassong. It is probably his toughest test since I came.”

“Can he cope with it? I believe so. I have been very impressed by Sébastien. He has everything, though I’d like him to score a goal from a corner. I have been very impressed, he has good pace, is good in the air, can use the ball, and can read the game.”

“I think he has a big future in the game, I really do.”

Bassong was suspended for the game last December, when Liverpool put in one of their best displays of the season and annihilated Newcastle 5-1, and we certainly missed Bassong’s aerial presence in that game, as Sami Hyypia killed us from corners.

It should be quite a battle between Fernando and Sebastien tomorrow, and Seb is a big game player, so we wouldn’t put it past him to c0ntain the Spaniard, but whether we can contain Liverpool in general is another thing.

And the last thing we wanted to hear is that Steven Gerrard will return to the side. Steven gave a brilliant display at St. James’ Park last December, as he decimated our side.

When Steven was replaced in the second half,  the Toon Army gave him a well deserved standing ovation – we certainly know a great player when we see one.

We’re hoping for something out of tomorrow’s game – as usual.

• batty

May 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM

no chance

• Stardust

May 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM

No I dont think Seba can – IF we play a 3 man MF. The last two games have seen huge holes in the play – a team like Liverpool will use that to stretch us to the limit, have player pulled out of position and Seba will simply get passed around UNLESS we play 5 accross the middle.

—————–Harps——————
    Beye——Colo——Bass——-Duff
    Loven-Guthrie-Owen-Smith-Jonas
    —————–Viduka—————-

In my opinion we cant play Martins – he isnt a team player any more – he gives the ball away on every play and I cant remember the last time a single shot of his hit the target or a pass of his found his man or his play had any intelligence to it – other than being a headless chicken.

• sirjasontoon

May 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM

We will take a pounding against the scousers I have no doubt about it.
    3-0 if they go easy on us,5-0 if they are motivated.
    To be honest I see us maybe scraping 1 more point in the remaining games with a draw against boro,been a painful season can’t wait for it to end.

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM

sirjason if that’s your opinion you’re saying you can’t wait for us to get relegated.

• Ericles

May 2, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Stardust – I like the shape of your selection. No way will Shearer drop Owen unfortunately. I would like to see Barton in there somewhere though – in preference to Owen to be honest. Still think we can get a point. Anyway I am going for a couple of pints and may start looking around a few disused coal pits for a number 9 and a number 10 – that is if I can shout loud enough!

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 11:48 AM

My honest opinon here, I believe we will get 7 points. Loose tomorow, beat borough, draw with fulham and beat villa. I’ve just got a feeling we’re gonna do villa…I hope to God we do because my mate is a huge villain and he’s organised a trip for all my united friends and the like to go to villa park on the 24th to see villa ‘send newcastle down’
    the basta*d!

• RyanToon

May 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

fernando torres is one of my fav players but tommorow he might aswell be a mackem!

• JJJ

May 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Hear the papers are saying Shearer is going to drop Owen. Don believe it but it’d be a good move…
    Talking about a five man midfield which I’d agree with and it’d probably look like this.

————————Harper—————————

Beye———Coloccini——-Bassong———–Duff

Jonas—–Guthrie—-Smith—–Nolan——Loven

————————-Viduka————————–

Subs: Krul, Edgar, Owen, Martins, Carroll, Butt,
    Barton.

I reckon Barton will play some part but not start.

Loven Smith and Jonas will probably give Viduka support up front.

• Toon_Factor

May 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Shearer please dont praise the guy it will only make him stronger. Somebody needs to man mark Gerrard like Essien and Anderson did. Nolan maybe?

• sirjasontoon

May 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Devon Mag I don’t want us to get relegated my friend but it is looking like we will if we continue playing like a bunch of pussys.

• Johno Toon

May 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM

think we can chalk this one down already! tho i have a feeling that is ranger comes on he will score , dunno if he will be even on the bench but have a feelin he will score on his debut so gonna start sticking a tenner on him to score in 90 mins from now on

• Ericles

May 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Not biased but not the day to have scousers in our starting line-up?

• Johno Toon

May 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM

why not ericles?

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I know you don’t want us relegated man but if you think we’re only gonna get one more point then we’re goin down! Id rather the season wasn’t over and we were left with hope!
    I was at a festival when I got a text from my step dad in August saying, ‘lads one nill up, martins from a corner!’ then another saying ‘final score, 1 each!’ at that moment I Honestly thought we would be challenging for Europe this season, especially after nicking that win against bolton the week after… how this season has changed 🙁

• Sav

May 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Martins for pace to keep the ‘pool defence from advancing too far up the pitch and Carroll to occupy Hyppia at both ends of the pitch.

And a miracle.

• sirjasontoon

May 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I don’t think I can stomach anymore toon buffonery this season..worst in many years.

May 2, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Ed, I doubt it mate. But we can always dream….. 🙂

May 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM

…incidentally, it’s Gerrard I’m more worried about 🙁

May 2, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Shearer:

“Can he cope with it? I believe so. I have been very impressed by Sébastien. He has everything, though I’d like him to score a goal from a corner.”

Bassong scores the winner in a 1 nil TOON victory.

1050/1 with Bet365

…is that worth a 50p bet?

hahahahaha

😀

May 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM

…what the hell. Just stuck 14p on it.

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Rodzilla // May 2, 2009 at 3:11 PM

“Bassong scores the winner in a 1 nil TOON victory.”

1050/1 with Bet365

…is that worth a 50p bet?

To hell with caution, gan for the whole pound if your ganna dee it Rod!

On thet other hand, if Edgar plays, he has form for banging in the odd goal in against big clubs (Liverpool and Man U?).

May 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM

worky, I just had 14p hanging over from a win on Torquay last night, so I stuck that on. It’d still bring in 147 quid! I never usually bet on scorers or scores, normally bet bigger on lower odds. My main bets tend to be on win, total goals or Asian Handicap.

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

If I was more of a gambler Rod, I’d of being betting against Hull for a while now, and that isn’t just hindsight. Phil Brown’s mucked it up completely with that team.

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Then again the Mackems are having a sh*t run now too 🙂 and they play Hull next.

May 2, 2009 at 3:45 PM

…lets just pray he continues doing a ‘good’ job then worky eh? And their freefall continues for another month. He’s such an obnoxious weasel too, I’m sick of the sight of his twisty mackem heed.

May 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM

….24, yeah. Just hope we can get some results now coz they do both have dodgy remaining fixtures.

• komfort

May 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM

14p..scatter cash !!..

May 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM

haha, alreet young un, yeah had 140.14 in mi betting account – was just chucking it away to tidy up mi figures really. Al have mi 30 quid bet the neet.

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Rodzilla // May 2, 2009 at 3:45 PM

“I’m sick of the sight of his twisty mackem heed.”

Well I’m sick of that tan Rod. I always thought he was a Sand dancer with identity issues?

May 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Excuse my ignorance but I just had to look up ‘Sand Dancer’. I’ve always just referred to anyone on the ‘utha side a the watta’ as a mackem.

Phil Brown does seem to have more of a Geordie accent than that of a mackem though (the way he pronounces his ‘eez’), that did confuse me a bit.

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM

It’s a bit like County Durham I suppose Rod, divided territory. I always find that looking for a whingy tone is the quickest way to spot a Mackem tramp. Like Heather Mills or that miserable agony aunt that used to be on “This Morning”. They can’t help it!

• korn8

May 2, 2009 at 10:48 PM

can David beat Goliat? can Bassong have a chance against Torres?

We have a chance of getting one point out of this game. Several teams have done that at anfield this season( and also last season).

But i don`t think we have the defensive structure to manage this. Hopefully i`m wrong, and if we give 110% – why not?

• Tom_Toon

May 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM

#

May 3, 2009 at 1:28 AM

&

• Tom_Toon

May 3, 2009 at 1:39 AM

nothing

May 3, 2009 at 1:42 AM

something

May 3, 2009 at 2:37 AM

….in the way Tom_Toon moves me