Multiple Reports Alan Shearer Will Drop Michael Owen

There are multiple reports in this morning’s papers that Alan Shearer will drop Michael Owen for the game at Anfield tomorrow.

michael-owen-2734

Michael Owen – manager Shearer could drop hius captain

You cannot accuse Shearer of not being brave in his team selections, and he has already left Fabricio Coloccini out of his team, and until he was dropped, the Argentine had played in every minute of every game for Newcastle this season.

Shearer has since restored the Argentine to the starting line-up and Fabricio put in a very solid performance on Monday night, to his credit, and helped Newcastle keep only their third clean sheet this year against Pompey.

The news about dropping Owen is in The Sun, and we know they make things up to sell their papers, but it makes sense to drop Owen for the game tomorrow, simply because we expect Alan to play in a 4-5-1 formation in an attempt to contain Liverpool.

The lone man up front should probably be Mark Viduka, who can hold the play up well, and Owen could still play in a withdrawn role in midfield, behind Mark.

However Shearer has Joey Barton coming back, so we have a number of central midfielders available, and this could be the line up tomorrow:

Harper
Beye Coloccini Bassong Edgar
Duff  (or Lovenkrands) Butt(c) Barton Smith Gutierrez
Viduka

There’s no place there for either Martins or Owen, but we have to pack the midfield tomorrow, if we are to have any chance of any points. Both strikers could be used as subs depending on how the game goes.

We don’t know if Alan will axe his friend, but he will certainly not let any friendship get in the way of trying to save Newcastle, and if he thinks it’s best to pack the midfield and leave Owen out for this game – so be it.

• RyanToon

May 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM

about time!

hes been awful since shearer came!

• Ericles

May 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Be brave Al – be sensible Al – Owen is a waste of space. What makes you think he will perform better for NUFC at Anfield of all places? Drop him off when the team coach passes Aintree!

• geordie deb

May 2, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Hopefully this is true. AS will build his credibility as a manager if he can be shown to drop his mates if they are not performing.
    What do you reckon the results today will be?

• Ericles

May 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Geordie deb – George the V said bugger Bognor. I say bugger Boro!

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM

“The news about dropping Owen is in The Sun, and we know they make things up to sell their papers”

It was in the Times originally, Ed.

• AndyNUFC

May 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM

If Shearer drops Owen then he certainly goes up in my estimations. He dropped Coloccini for having a very poor run of form, now he’s came back and done OK. Owen has had a poor run of form and topped it off with maybe the worst 1 on 1 effort i’ve ever seen (for an apparent ‘fox in the box’ clinical finisher on £110,000 a week).

We’ve waited so long for a manager who will have the guts to change things and give others chances. Plus the fact he is so respected and well known in the football world will surely mean players will be a lot more attracted to playing for us. LUA LUA’S COMING BACK!!

• Dragonera

May 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Owen has been woeful for as long as i can remember. He has often covered his poor performances with a few goals here and there. Can’t wait until he is gone.

• Weezertron

May 2, 2009 at 12:10 PM

AndyNUFC, Wheres the news about Lualua?

• Alex

May 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Andy Carroll & Lovenkrands to start against Liverpool with Ranger coming on at some point . Its worth a try we have nothing to loose , lets face it we are probably in for a hammering 🙁 Owen & Oba are both well out of form .

• bowburnmag

May 2, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I still want to believe in Owen but the evidence is piling up that he’s not going to do the business at the critical time. He played a massive part in saving us last year but I think he’s just not up to the task this year.

• Toon_Factor

May 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM

workyticket

will you stop trying to prove people wrong and talk football instead.

Definatly agree Owen should be dropped. He does nothing against the ‘big 4’ anyway. still think we should play 4-3-3 or 9-1 which could work

• AndyNUFC

May 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Weezer the general news is that names were being drawn up for transfers next year and it’s believed Shearer wants his old striking partner back, available for a reported fee of only £1million. I used to love watching Lua Lua play, I really hope we get him back, although I kind of doubt him at the moment, simply for the fact he’s signed for some far east club.

I honestly think one of the best signings we can make next year is Hugo Viana. He’s hardly got a run out for Valencia this season and was always a very good player for us. Still only 26, he’s a brilliant attacking midfielder, with a great left foot that can pick out almost any pass and strike a decent shot and free kick. He’d surely be willing to team back up with Shearer? The creativity we crave the most! – Viana and Lua Lua !

• dougnufc

May 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Andy, I thought you meant Kazenga who is coming back from Doncaster.

I love Lomana but not sure if he can still be as good as he was.

• Toon_Factor

May 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Agreed Andy I want Viana back premiership or championship

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Andy not lualua but I’m actually quite intrigued by the idea of viana back…I’ll admit I was slagging him yesterday or the day before because as my memory served me he was sh*te, but on seeing his youtube vid my faith has been restored…he’s 10times more creative than anything we have at the moment, and he’s used to the city and fans- maybe he’d have something to prove on his return? Didn’t realise he was still only 26 as well!
    But yeah, no to lualua, despite his age I doubt he’ll ever be a real threat in the prem again, why bother when we have his up and coming younger brother on the wing??

• Toon_Factor

May 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Lua lua had 59 appearences for us and scored 5 goals, a big NO to him.

• bowburnmag

May 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Viana wasn’t cut out for the Premiership and I’m not sure he’d be able to adapt now. Lua Lua was always too inconsistent.

• AndyNUFC

May 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Viana is a huge target we should go after. He most definitely was not sh*t for us, atleast not all the time, he was still only like 19-20 when he played for us.

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

• Weezertron

May 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Cheers for the link dude.

If Shearer does stay on, thats a big if, its going to be interesting to see who he goes for. I personally have no idea like.

• Turkish Magpie

May 2, 2009 at 12:44 PM

The question for Shearer,

Does he go for the point like Joe Kinnear did against Chelsea, or does he go for all 3 risking a loss?

even when you go for the 9-1 formation, a team like Lpool can still score

• Turkish Magpie

May 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

how olds Viana anyone? if i remember rightly he’s a type of Joey Barton player, i can imagine those 2 in CM

If we stay up i would still love to see us buy Emre or Carew, but thats a dream now 🙁

• Turkish Magpie

May 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

oh comment 12, he’s 26

silly me

• AndyNUFC

May 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Viana would be our perfect replacement for Emre, he’s very much a player in the similar mould, and younger too.

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

DevonMag // May 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

“Viana could seize the oppurtunity to get back to the premiere league his career seems to be dying out at valencia, valencia are looking to get players of the wage packet as well…”

What about Gonzalez Devon? We got him from Valencia, and he’s a ‘creative’ CM.

• Hugh de Payen

May 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I doubt either Viana or LuaLua will move to the Championship.

I presume you’re talking about *if* we manage to survive.

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I’m waiting for Gonzales so show me what he can do worky but it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen this season, so effectively never as he will be going back to valencia. I would love it if nacho came good but I can’t see where he’s gonna get the playing time?
    Turkish- surely we shouldn’t buy emre back?? Just a new, younger creative mid. And viana’s not really a joey barton type player, he’s not as aggressive, and a little more creative I guess you could say…wouldn’t mind having them as our central mids though! One of the main reasons i want us to stay up (aside from the obvious) is I dont want to loose Barton! He’s got so much to give and had so little bloody chances due to injury this season…

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Toon_Factor // May 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM

“workyticket

will you stop trying to prove people wrong and talk football instead. ”

Toon Factor, what is your problem exactly? I’ve obviously upset you in some way, so why can’t you just grow up and be honest about it instead of all this tedious trolling? It’s a bore.

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I wouldn’t worry about it worky

• Johno Toon

May 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM

ABout time owen gets dropped , he has not delivered this season and either way he should not be given a new deal,

On the sub post i wouldnt be sure on lualua or vianna to be honest , think lualua is too inconsistent and i dont know if vianna will settle in , and if my memory serves me right he didnt settle in well last time. But creativty is what we need and both players would be a step in that direction

• Jamesthefirst

May 2, 2009 at 1:25 PM

@Weezertron – if we stay up, the two players i’m sure we’ll go after are CROUCH and BENTLEY. I’ve heard Shearer raving about those two ever since he quit playing. They would definitely be on his shopping list.

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM

james I sincerly hope we go for neither of those players

• Johann

May 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Hugo Viana was fantastic. Robson just never gave him his chance in midfield. I remember speaking up for him on numerous occasion and I´ve followed him, he´s had his injury problems combined with getting few chances but I still think he´ll return to the top leagues and prove himself finally. Sometimes things just go against you

• Johann

May 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM

• DevonMag

May 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

United one up at half time. Cant believe I’m cheering for em but if borough get anything other than 0 points I’ll be gutted!

• Johno Toon

May 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Would love crouch , think bently is a good player but dont think i could afford him tho so wouldnt be too bothered by him

• workyticket

May 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM

DevonMag // May 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM

“I’m waiting for Gonzales so show me what he can do worky but it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen this season, so effectively never as he will be going back to valencia.”

Well I’ve seen him for Uruguay and he has alot of potential in the area where we need it most, a creative midfielder with excellent vision, passing and some special little touches. As for him going back to Valencia, if they’d take an offer for Viana (as you mentioned), they may also take an offer for Gonzalez too. You may see him yet before the end of the season 🙂

• Oba The Legend

May 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM

It would be about time.

My team would be:
    (Depending on the fitness of Barton & Lovenkrands)

———–Harper
    Beye-Colo-Bassong-Edgar
    Jonas-Barton/Guthrie-Smith-Lovenkrands/Duff
    —–Viduka-Martins

Viduka to hold the ball up and Martins for his spontaneous threat.

A bit worried about the defence, I’d rather see Edgar at CB ahead of Colo but I don’t trust Duff at left back.

Barton must play if he’s fit enough, and Butt needs to be dropped despite a decent performance against Pompey as he’s far too slow now and wastfeul on the ball. Smith has the kind of passion we need and has actually shown decent midfield skills since coming him, particularly passing wise.

Ryan Taylor and Nolan should remain dropped.

• Weezertron

May 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM

As effective as crouch can be, hes stature makes me uneasy, like his legs could buckle at any second.

I too hope nacho gets a game, reckon he could be the spark.