One Win Could Be Enough For Newcastle Survival

With both Middlesbrough and Hull City doing as badly as Newcastle during the run-in, it could be that a single win at home against Middlesbrough next Monday night, could be enough to save Newcastle’s season.

Alan Shearer – players must do it for him and the club

But any Newcastle win these days seems so far off, and with the talent at our disposal, why we have struggled quite so badly in the last 20 games or so is completely beyond us, and it must be causing owner Mike Ashley a lot of sleepless night right now.

This is not what he, or the Newcastle fans had thought our future would hold just a couple of short years ago.

And Alan Shearer says the clash at St James’ Park next Monday evening, will be career defining for anyone involved in the match.

And don’t think Middlesbrough will be coming up just to defend – like Portsmouth did – because they need to win as much as Newcastle do to survive. One thing is for certain, and that is the loser will be relegated this season.

Shearer talked to the Daily Telegraph this morning:.

“The game at Anfield was never going to seal our fate, but the Middlesbrough match is a massive one, not just for us but for them as well,”

“It will go a long way to deciding the outcome of the relegation fight for both of us.” “There’s no question that it is the biggest game of my Newcastle career.”

“It’s the biggest game in the Newcastle career of anyone who is connected to the club at the moment.”

We expect Alan to call on the Newcastle fans to support the team again, and while they always do their part, it’s about time these overpaid and pampered players started to do their part for the famous club they represent, and which pays them so much in wages.

Only when that happens will we have any chance of saving ourselves, and even now it may be too late.

• cjcox88

May 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I really personally think that 6 points will probably be enough, I think if we beat middlesborough we will beat fulham and that will be sufficient.

Middlesborough will be a tough game, and I will be there, but the atmosphere will be nervous and even though the fans will as always get behind the players, if they start poorly then the feeling will change, they need to be positive, frankly even though owen is having a shocker I think he needs to start, he isnt having the best time but I really feel like if anyone in that squad is gonna get a chance I still want it to be him, I think he still has the potential to save us!

We will see!

Howay the lads!

• Johno Toon

May 4, 2009 at 10:48 AM

totally agree cj , 1 win and it will get us going , it all comes down to boro

• Stuart79

May 4, 2009 at 10:53 AM

The problem with the Boro game will be nerves.

Neither team will want to make a mistake and that may result in a pretty poor nervy game that ends up nil nil.

• dougnufc

May 4, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Lets be honest here guys, who here still see us beat Boro next week?

• RyanToon

May 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM

newcastle 1-1 middlesbrough

newcastle 1-1 fulham

aston villa 2-0 newcastle

• Toonkistan

May 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM

We’ll beat boro ….we need to settle the nerve pretty quickly or may be start very fast in the first 15min ….1st goal will be crucial as i dont C any of the team getting 2 especially after going 1 down…. 2-0 to us 😀 😀

• Johno Toon

May 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM

of coarse we will beat boro , no questions

• PaceOba

May 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM

We will win agaist Boro & Fulham!
    Howay the lads!!

Lets find out, click my link. ;p

• Archie Brand

May 4, 2009 at 11:16 AM

First of all, can I just say that while I fully understand the requirement for it, the new sponsorship of the site is a real pain, Ed.

I disagree with Doug above. I thnk there will be a few players out there next week who will see their obscene salaries disappearing in front of their eyes.

Thats the motivation they might need. There should be a few good performances on view.

Its pretty obvious that Viduka is still not up to it but fair play to the man for getting out there and trying.

Personally I would have liked to have seen LuaLua back from Carlisle for this match. If not him then get Ranger on the pitch.

We can beat Boro. Fortunately they are as bad as us.

As a founder member of the ” Titus Oot Fer The Lads” Society who pushed for the door to be held permanently open for Bramble’s departure
    I would like to encourage the same service be considered for Coloccini.

He goes AWOL so much I reckon I’ve seen more of my Uncle Sid recently than I’ve seen of him.
    Sid died in 1986.

We’ve had some other results going our way lately.

Maybe, like “Hexham, 12 Miles” – it’s a sign.

• dougnufc

May 4, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Expecting our lads to bounce back from a mauling to win is unlikely. But hopefully Shearer is able to knock some sense into them.

• Ericles

May 4, 2009 at 11:37 AM

That will be it Ryan Toon. Despite their warblings in the press, and Shearer’s hopes, the likes of Butt, Smith, and Owen will be given every opportunity in the next three games to take us down before they clear off to pastures new with more money in their Y-fronts than any of us will ever see. Get these has-beens out now!!!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

May 4, 2009 at 11:44 AM

i have had talk from my firend yesterday that ross turnball will be on his way to newcastle this year, and after waking up this morn its all on teamtalk and that.

turnball is a ver very good keeper, he will be fighting, ben foster for england no1 over the next few years, i can gurantee that.

i feel annoyed by barton but i also feel sorry for him, but he should never of lost it like that, i was annoyed at the time with the ref but it was 100% the correct decision.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

May 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM

i think owen will retire if we go down this season, i just have a feeling

• Prince Bassong

May 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM

We need at least 5 points to have any real chance of survival and the win that is definitely required to achieve that MUST come against Boro.

• joeToon

May 4, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Sorry for the negativity but if I think with my head:

First, the Toon have only won 6 times this season – that’s less than 1 game in 5.

Second, our current form is the worst it’s ever been this season (

Third – there’s a slight assumption that we will beat boro. Arguably (although there’s not much in it) boro are in better form at the mo, scoring more goals and earning more points from the last 6. Our last four meetings at SJP have ended in a draw (this doen’t count for much but it hammers home the ‘unthinkable’).

To assume we’re going to get 2 more wins out of the the next three games is absurd.

Thinking with my head we probs have 2-3 points left in us. It would be a statistical anomaly to get any more. At best 3 points probably won’t be enough as it relies on Hull to get no points.

Stranger things have happened but strange things, by definition don’t happen very often.

I hope I’m wrong and that the disappointing, lazy, overpaid players put in some effort to get us out of the trouble they’re responsible for getting us in.

• Michael12

May 4, 2009 at 1:26 PM

1 win or three draws. I still think 2 wins will do the trick but I think all three games are games we can win.

• joeToon

May 4, 2009 at 1:44 PM

2 wins probably will do the trick but as I said before our average is less than 1 win in 5.

I think we need to remember that we are a bottom-three team. The points don’t lie. Bottom-three teams don’t win many games. Our remaining three game are against teams who are better than us (if you take into account that Boro’s current form is slightly better).

If Hull get at least a point tonight the odds will be seriously stacked against us.

• victor