Sell-Out Crowd For Middlebrough Could Be Last Chance

There’s one good and worthwhile thing that Alan Shearer has done this morning – and that is to say thanks to the fantastic traveling Newcastle fans.

nufc-crowd-2

Newcastle fans – loyal to the very end

Even though the players, apart from the first 20 minutes, did nothing to deserve it, the lads were again brilliantly supported by the traveling Newcastle faithful yesterday.

And Shearer will be hoping the fans can create a winning atmosphere against Middlesbrough next Monday night, because, let’s face it, our players need all the help they can get, since they don’t seem to be helping themselves too much, if at all.

Alan talked to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“We took 3,000 people with us to support us.” “And there were thousands more in Newcastle who will feel the same way as me.”

“They know it is not a losing battle.” “They are staying with us and they are sticking with us.” “We are grateful for that.” “We’re all hurting together.”

We’ll all be hoping that Aston Villa and James Milner can help beat Hull City tonight at Villa Park, because we now have to count on others failing, since we are hardly doing much to help our own plight. James Milner has said he will do all he can for his friends at Newcastle (he was always a good lad).

Alan Shearer continued:

“We believe it’s the next two home games.” “I don’t know what is going to be enough to survive.” “If we win our next two it might be enough.”

If there are any who are reading this who have supported the side on the road this season, we offer our sincere thanks for your support, and we’re sure other Newcastle fans really appreciate your support of the lads at the games – it makes a difference.  It would be good to hear your thoughts in the comments section.

And even though the players by their performances hardly deserve it – we still hope we can have a sell-out crowd for the game against Middlesbrough next Monday evening, although that game will be almost impossible for us to watch.

If we win that game we could even be safe, and if that happens we have to hope the club will start to repay the fans for their fantastic support of Newcastle United over the years.

You never know – maybe they will start to do that – and what a change that would be.

• Craigg

May 4, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Jimmy Milner what a lad

Terrific talent who deserves a good future with Villa and England, Slated by so many last season who wishes they could have him back now?

Earlier in the season i was moaning about Milners sale, When some clown (I cant remember who) asked me who i would prefer Milner or Gutierrez, I answered by saying it was irrelevent as an injury to Jonas left us with Geremi as our other option and if we wanted to get to the top we cannot take all competition out of our team.

I wish i could remember who asked me because i would like to pose the same question to them and i dare bet their answer would be Milner.

• Danish_Magpie

May 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Craigg,

I am with you. I was also one of the few that were very unhappy when Milner was sold. We were being told by Tom_Toon and the majority of the lads on here that Milner lacks end product and that he is worth nowhere near what we got for him etc. I believe we would be in a different position in the table if we had held on to Milner. A young, skillful, hard-working English talent at right-wing… what I wouldn’t give to have him back. 12m is a lot, but I’d give Villa their 12m back and take Milner back any day.

Regarding the Boro game, we should go with:

…………………..Harper………………….

Beye……..Colo……Bassong……..Duff

…………….Butt…..Smith……………..
    …………………Owen……………..Jonas
    Martins………………………………………
    …………………Viduka…………………..

I think this team has the balance to defend properly, while also creating chances and taking them.

• boater

May 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Craigg… yeuk your smugness is cloying,,, has anyone seen my soapbox sure I left it around here somewhere..?

Milner was absolutely no use to us. He saw more of the ball than any other midfielder over 2 seasons and did nowt with it. he got 2 assists in all competitions for us in the final season.

He is now playing for an organised and better motivated side. Every player would do better for villa. When he left we all said ‘we prefer Zog anyways’… who was then duly sold.

The problem with the club has unfortunately been to replace KAK with even worse KAK… this applies to managers as well.. (shearer a bit different) this then gives rise to the SMUG I TOLD YOU SO brigade of which you are obviusly an honorary member.

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I very much doubt we’d be in this god awful mess now if we’d kept hold of James Milner. I was gobsmacked when he went, especially after all the bull5hit we were being fed about him being part of our plans.

Go on Jimmy lad, bang a couple in tonight and make Phil Brown’s dorty whinging heed even even more scrunched up than it already is.

….incidentally, the lad in the foreground of that crowd picture (with the scarf and his arms in the air) looks unnervingly like I did aged around 13 or 14. It freaks me out whenever I see it! Weird.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

May 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM

should never have sold milner, we needed him desperado this season

• Danish_Magpie

May 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Btw. if we stay up this season, I think we should move for Zokora and Reo-Coker to shore up our midfield (both out of favor). We should bring in Pennant on a free, and D. Fox or McCartney as cover for LB.

Out:

CB: Bassong, Coloccini, S. Taylor, Edgar
    LB: Enrique, McCartney

RW: Pennant, LuaLua
    LW: Jonas, Løvenkrands
    CM: Reo-Coker, Nolan, Zokora, Guthrie

ST: Martins, Carroll, Xisco, Ranger

This would leave us with a stronger squad, an operating transfer profit, and most importantly, a HUGE SAVING ON WAGES.

This should clear up funds for the purchase of a quality striker a little later in the summer to give us a boost for the approaching season. D. Bent, Crouch, Gomis, Gomez, Pogrebnyak, Cardozo, someone in this mould if we can get our house in order and have made the other signings first..

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM

…ouch, Boater. Do you not think he’d have contributed to a few goals for us then? We’d only need a couple to be out of the relegation zone.

• boater

May 4, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Danish Magpie… please see my response to Craigg.

I believe the toon wouldn’t be in this position if…..
    we hadn’t sacked 4 managers in a row mid-season.
    blah, blah, blah….

how the loss of a winger with 2 assists from the previous campaign can be pinpointed as the route of our problems I can only imagine.

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Danish_Magpie, definitely think we should go for Pennant if we could get him on the cheap, or free!

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM

….he’s had 3 goals and 8 assists since we sold him Boater.

Of course I don’t believe losing our last 2 creative midfield players “pinpoints” the route of our problems – but it certainly helped.

• Danish_Magpie

May 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM

boater,

you are right, Milner is not the one factor that means we are in the mess we are in. I didn’t mean to inisinuate that his sale is the one reason we are in trouble. I am merely saying that I think his effort and quality would have helped us loads in the season we’ve been having, and in a few games he would have gotten us the extra point or 2 meaning a few more wins rather than draws and a couple of positions higher in the league. Game of opinions, but I always liked Milner. One thing I will admit that I did not know at the time, is that Jonas is considerably better on the left. So the Zoggy left, Jonas right plan seemed OK. It’s just terrible because I remember this summer I was thinking “OK wingers and goalkeepers we are in great shape with Given, Harper and the two young ones, and Jonas, Milner, Zoggy and Duff (to be replaced by LuaLua in the coming years) on the wings.” I wish it was still so.

• boater

May 4, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Rodzilla…. but he didn’t contribute goals for us that was the problem. We made 10mil from the sale of a player that lacked pace, final product, tactical awareness, and scored 2 a season – not really what we needed.

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM

“The fact that 10mil (plus 6mil for Zog) wasn’t re-invested responsibly by the club for WHATEVER reason is UNFORGIVABLE.”

….most certainly agree with you on that mate. Oh, and not forgetting spending 6+M on a 7th choice striker when there were AT LEAST 3 other positions begging for attention. Only at NUFC eh. You couldn’t make it up.

• Craigg

May 4, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Boater

If you think that i would be happy that the club has suffered just so i could tell people i told you so about Milner then you are totally wrong.

I would have loved Gutierrez to have been a terrific creative force but he hasnt been, Milner on the other hand has created and scored for fun at Villa.

Only two assists and 3 goals all last season, Yep right on and to my knowledge his replacement has fared the same with two assists without any goals, What about Milners stats the season before 17 assists and 5 goals not bad for a player who was no use to us.

Im not a member of the SMUG I TOLD YOU SO brigade but i will stick up for players who deserve it, Milner was the sort of player we should have been keeping not Butt, Viduka, Owen, Smith, Barton, Geremi, Cacapa, Duff and Ameobi.

• boater

May 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Rodzilla.. true, The loss of a players such as dyer, solano, emre, milner and zog – for replacements such as smith, nolan, guti, gonzales tells its own story.

There is an adage in football.. when you concede too many goals your defense is to blame.. when you don’t score enough, blame the forwards – when you do neither, look at the midfielders.

We have some good defenders, better than at times past, decent strikers (who are misfiring) but a really woeful shortage of mobile (as SBR mentioned) midfielders.

Believe it or not… when I looked at the team sheets yesterday I thought.. OK on paper (ignoring form of individuals) we match liverpool… man for man – this should be a decent battle. Unfortunately with their first goal it became YET ANOTHER battle of the form books.. and we failed to handle the psychological battle WITH OURSELVES.

It’s like the diet mantra… no I’m not someone who has a pie love affair before you mention it…. anyway… YOU HAVE TO LOVE YOURSELF before you can expect others to do the same.. toon are loosing the battle with their own demons which is very worrying.. can they blast a few away against the dorty smogs? I pray they do.

• boater

May 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Craigg I didn’t think for a minute you seeked out mishap for the club to lake yourself look better.

My point is that it’s easy to look at Milner’s season for Villa and go ‘I knew – or said – or lobbied’ – or whatever you did – he should have stayed.

If you were in the minority that wouldn’t take 10mil for a player who was failing to progress UNDER US then you wanted your head looking at. That Milner’s replacement – Jonas – is the footballing equivalent of a false prophet who seems to be in a perpetual state of falling over…. is the problem.. along with every other woeful signing.

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Boater 15,

I too saw a glimmer of hope when I read the team sheets yesterday, and honestly thought we’d be in with a shout. But as soon as that first (suspect) goal went in I knew what was going to happen. In fact, I had a pretty good idea what was coming after Gerrard slalomed around Collocini like a traffic cone inside the first 10 mins.

I hate to say it but for pretty much the whole season I’ve not been able to see a comeback after we concede a goal, unlike a few years ago when we seemed to be the comeback kings. All confidence just seems to drain out of the side when a goal rattles the back of our net.

I know he has his haters, but I’m one of the fans that really wanted Barton back in the side; unfortunately for us my initial fears of him needing to control his temperament came back to bite me in the @ss yesterday. What a complete and utter tool. I’m still concerned we have another two potential red cards for our last 3 games in Smith and Nolan.

…and as you say, our “woeful shortage of mobile midfielders” is inexcusable. Ironically we once had too many of these spritely chaps, and not enough brawn. Now it’s the other way ’round.

I hope to fk, Villa beat Hull tonight. It’ll definitely by a pretty fat nail if they don’t.

• Craigg

May 4, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Boater

Well i must have needed my head looking at because i wouldnt have taken the cash.

Had we Kept Milner i doubt Keegan would have gone and had he not gone then Given and N’Zogbia wouldnt have gone either, The season maybe would have continued the way it started which was very encouraging.

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Good points Craigg 18, it did all seem to go pear shaped after the Milner sale. To quote the philosophical musings of the great Cher:

If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way
    Id take back those words that have hurt you
    And you’d stay

…I bet that’s been ringing in Ashley’s head ever since 🙂

• workyticket

May 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Craigg // May 4, 2009 at 3:16 PM

“I was sceptical about the way the money was going to used after the sale, Which was sadly wasted on Xisco and the Gonzalez loan fee and filling Ashleys pockets.”

Ashley also had to pay for Owen Craigg, as his purchase was leveraged against future sponsorship by Shepherd. With that and the numerous other shortfalls in Shepherds accounting, I think it’s fair to say that he didn’t exactly “fill his pockets”. As for money being “wasted” on Gonzalez, how exactly was anyone to know that Gonzalez was going to be injured for a whole season? It could have just as easily being Milner himself, or any other player for that matter.

• Johno Toon

May 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM

at the time i honestly thought it was a great bit of business for milner , they came in and paid over the odds for him ,

but it was just re-invested poorly . Im not saying xisco wont be a success or nacho wouldnt of been a good player if he wasnt injured but they havent worked out up to now

• workyticket

May 4, 2009 at 3:50 PM

How’s my workyticketing today, Rod? 🙂

• Rodzilla

May 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

….not too bad worky. Although there could be a slightly higher volume 😉

…oh, May the 4th be with you btw

• Stuart79

May 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Worky

All Ashley needed to do was due dilligence. Belgravia did this and walkd away.

Why do we have to suffer for his stupid and niave purchase of the club?

He didn’t do dd because there was other people wanting to buy the club. His words not mine.

He was stupid and we are paying the price!

• Johno Toon

May 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

But imagine stuart if he didnt buy the club? Where would we be under Freddie? At least ma is addressesing the situation , Im not saying he is the perfect owner but a hell of a lot better than ffs

• Stuart79

May 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Johno Toon // May 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

We would have gone into administration. So fckin what?

The chances are then we would have been bought by someone willing to invest in the team!

I admire Ashley’s desire to build the acadamy ect but he’s putting the roof on without building the walls. Otherwords there’s nothing supporting it and it falls straight down!

He fcked up by not doing due dilligence, his fault not ours!

If he would have done that he wouldn’t have bought the club. He would have realised he couldn’t make money out of the club!

• Johno Toon

May 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

so what your saying is you would of rathered run the risk of the club hitting the wall and going out of business than ashley owning the club?

• workyticket

May 4, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Rodzilla // May 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

“….not too bad worky. Although there could be a slightly higher volume ”

The volume will go up again after I finish my decorating, Rod. It taking longer than the Sistine Chapel like!

• Stuart79

May 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Johno Toon // May 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

That would never happen. Tell me one club that has gone bust?

Administration for a football club is happening every year and not one has gone bust.

I want the owner of NUFC to invest in the first team before doing anything. Once that is right everything else gets easier and falls into place.

• Johno Toon

May 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I cant think of a club who went bust due to going into admin but i certainly wouldnt like it to happen to us

Yes ashley needs to splash some cash , esp if we stay up , but to suggest that going into admin ( and possiblitly of the club become extinct ) would be a better option than having ashley owning the club is crazy , infact i would say its stupid.

• Stuart79

May 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM

It won’t happen now so don’t worry.

If we go down or stay up we ain’t spending any money at all.

Ashley has simply not got enough money needed to own a football club this size!

He can put only 10m per year in! Good grief, we need more than that!

What happens when we go down? We sell most of our players and can only replace them with free transfers. We certainly won’t come back up and we might even go down again!

• workyticket

May 4, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Stuart79 // May 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM

“Leeds had debts similar to ours and had a smaller turnover less income but they still come through it twice!”

That’s a strange example Stuart. Why would you want us to go through the same experience as Leeds?

• Johno Toon

May 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM

You are a happy chap arent you stuart?

I think your right in the fact if we go down we wont be coming back up for a while so we really really need to stay up

But to say ashley has not enough cash is wrong , he does the bloke is minted , fair enough he prob lost a few quid recently but he has plenty,

• workyticket

May 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM

That’s a far more astute reading Johno.

• AndyT

May 4, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Definite losses if we go down:
    Habib Beye
    Mark Viduka

Possible losses:
    Fabricio Coloccini
    Nicky Butt
    Joey Barton
    Peter Lovenkrands

That would free up the wage bill by VAST amounts, leaving plenty of room to pick up good Championship players, whatever that means.

• Stuart79

May 4, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Worky

I don’t want us to go through what leeds went through. I was making the point that even though Leeds were in a far worse state than us and they didn’t go bust.

I’ll thank you not to make out that I am wanting NUFC to do a Leeds to try and make a point.

Johno Toon

How far do we have to sink until Ashley gets it right?

Nextg season even if we stay up, do you think we will not be in the same position next year? I do because he hasn’t got enough money to invest in the club. If he did he would have spent more money in January to more or less gaurentee us staying in this league, a la Spurs. That was a good 40m spent!

• geordie deb

May 4, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Johno Toon post 33

‘Problem is the money he is putting in just goes to plugging gaps in our finaces, if run properly with the money the club should generate for income he shouldnt have to put in more than his 10 or 20 million a season, its will take time but we will get there’
    Exactly Johno. As I said to Stuart this morning – if FFS hadn’t cleared off with his swag bag full of ill gotten cash, MA would be able to adopt a different strategy. As it is Stuart’s blind desire to have a billionaire with deeper pockets splashing the cash is hardly likely to happen. I just have a horrible feeling that FFS is trying to put some kind of bid together to get himself back into SJP, now that really would send us into administration.

• Gosforth Phil

May 4, 2009 at 5:55 PM

MA has the money.Randy Lerner @ Villa has less than him but more of a grasp of what you need to make a club successful and the ambition to do it.MA doesn’t understand football as a business.MA wants to run Poundstretcher FC.If you could have a good team with no investment then everyone would do it.They don’t.They know otherwise.I don’t expect him to spend £100m on 4 players.I expect him to invest in quality (Don’t need to spend £15m to get a good player) and improve the squad.Look like you want to better the club not make more money out of it.Too late for that now,obviously.He’s had time to show what his ambitions are and how much he is prepared to do what it takes to make a club successfull.Not much.
    You can have a first team of kids and goons on £10k a week each and say ” yeah,we can balance the books now” but you’re not gonna get anywhere and thus earn no money from the game.
    We are a laughing stock and a useless team.
    MA’s team.