Reports Shearer And Barton At Each Other’s Throats

Newcastle United boss Alan Shearer is reported this morning to have had a furious exchange with Joey Barton at the end of their defeat at Liverpool, it has been revealed.

Joey Barton – could have played last game for Newcastle

It’s another report from The Sun and this could also be a made up story, but we’ll have to see, and we would expect Alan to address this at some point in the next day or two and not let it fester.

Shearer was apparently steaming at the midfielder for getting sent off for an ugly late lunge at Reds rival Xabi Alonso, and you can hardly blame Alan or the fans at being less than happy with Barton for that.

The two of them are said to have argued in the dressing room after the game, and Joey did not let it go all one way it seems.

That proverbial Newcastle insider has been talking to The Sun again and this is what this phantom said:

“It was unbelievable. They were like two stags.” “Shearer told Barton he had made a mistake putting him back in the team, that he thought Barton was good enough to do it but he had shown he wasn’t.”

“Joey shouted at Alan that he was the best player at the club, which was why he had to play him.” “Alan said he wasn’t, called him s*** and Joey replied that he was a s*** manager with s*** tactics.”

“At that point, it looked like they were going to have a full-scale brawl and had to be dragged apart.”   “Shearer was really angry, not just because of the stupid red card but because it means Barton will be missing for the last three Premier League games when Newcastle need everyone available.”

“Alan gave Joey the big build-up during the week, saying what an important player he could be in Newcastle’s fight against relegation, and then he does that.”   “You wonder what goes on in Joey’s head.”

Shearer has already fined Barton two weeks’ wages (£120K) and the reports today suggest he has been suspended from the club. We woulkd expect sopme other clubs, who would need to be brave, would be considering whether to take on Joey Barton in the summer. We would hope to get our £5.8M back on him – hopefully.

After the game Shearer said:

“Barton wasn’t unlucky to be sent off, it was the right decision.” “We will be without him for the rest of the season and I’m not happy at all.”

“He has let me down, definitely, and the same goes for the whole club and himself. From a disciplinary point of view, I will do whatever I can.”

If this story is true it’s hard to see how Joey Barton will be staying at Newcastle, and we know a numnbe ron the board, would like nothing better than to have him leave the club and ply his off field antics elsewhere.

We would also hope that Alan doesn’t build walls between his players. He is very like Roy Keane – they were leaders as players with strong opinions, and now of course Roy is at Ipswich Town.

It seems the one thing Roy was not good at, was he criticized his players far too much, and in the end there were a number of Sunderland players more than happy when he finally got the boot.

We hope that doesn’t become Alan’s Achilles Heel, although we are talking about Joey Barton here, who is hardly a model footballer now, is he?

It could be that Joey will be on his way in the summer, certainly he is no good to the Newcastle club any more this season.

A statement on the Newcastle United Web Site this morning said:

Newcastle United can confirm that Joey Barton has been suspended from the club until further notice.”

“The club will be making no further comment on the matter at this time.”

The last thing you want is Joey Barton around the place, given he cannot play for us again this season – so this suspension makes sense.

• ronaldeano

May 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Someone should knock this bellend spark out.

Just like paciaou did to Hatton!!

• RyanToon

May 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

barton is scum and i hope the club cancel the contract of his

we ALL must agree on this??

• Toon Graeme

May 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Im dubious about the sun article – however the must be some fire behind him being suspended.

Could it be true?

Either way – he wont play for NUFc again.

• Toon Graeme

May 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Ryantoon –

Morning mate.

Sunday was the final straw for Barton for me.

He’s had his chance now – time to go.

• toonoholic

May 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Honestly as much i have immense respect for shearer , i would never ever agree with any manager to come out and criticize any player.
    at this stage atleast for us, it doesnt help with 3 games to go and 3 games off the drop zone.
    I honestly still feel it wasnt wrong for barton to tackle for that ball and maybe thats wat got into bartons head that his own gaffa not supporting him.
    Also I have constantly supported barton and was hopeful he wld help ur survive in next 3 games, but he has shattered the hopes of many like me who thought ” maybe he could change the midfield”.

truly dissapointed for a man who was backed so well by the club and some fans when he was imprisoned .

• DanToon

May 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

What does my head in is that even if NUFC sell him some other mug will take him on ie- Portsmouth or Bolton etc and this will go on and on, why should such a scumbag have such a fantastic job!

• RyanToon

May 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM

morning graeme

agreed ive stuck up for barton until now but i can NOW see he wont change

and i hope the club cancel his contract within the next week.

• toonoholic

May 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Ed how much for the girl in green in this ad for eHarmony ?

do you take credit cards ? ^___^

• RyanToon

May 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Comment #9,19528,11661_5283073,00.html

i mean look at barton after he got sent off!

smiling! f off barton

• Craigg

May 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Alan wont build walls between himself and his players, From what ive seen he’s been blowing smoke up their arses most of the time.

Ryan Taylor, Nolan, Smith, Butt, Owen, Martins, Coloccini, Shola ETC. havent played anywhere near good enough, But they have had nothing but nice things said about them by Shearer trying to give them a lift.

Barton is a different matter, He is a brain dead idiot who shouldnt be at any football club, Bolton and Portsmouth both bid for him in january and apparantly Villa fancy him so dont sack him, Dock his money until the summer and sell him.

• stevep

May 5, 2009 at 11:23 AM

well that was a sh!te weekend sporting wise

went with mates to watch the spurs west brom, really poor game, baggies should have won it tho – my mate (spurs fan) reckons they always play to level of opposition….hmmm
    stayed up to watch the hatton fight or should I say slaughter then the toon game on sunday (another slaughter)

Only good news from the weeknd was all the other teams losing, tho Hull look a lot better than us so I reckon they might beat Stoke at the weekend which means we need at least two home wins.

Barton is an idiot who we need to get rid of – what a disaster

• Toon Graeme

May 5, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Always something isnt there!!!!!

I think alot of people will say “I told you so” on this one.

If it is as a result of Barton squaring upto shearer (as reported) – then good on al for taking action.

Al looked cool as a cucumber in his press conference – so if owt did happen in the room – he gave nothing away!

Sod Barton – Im more concerned about the remaining 3 games and importantly southgates smoggies.

Did anyone hear them singing about our shearer when they were a goal down? Tools!!

• stevep

May 5, 2009 at 11:25 AM

btw: Newcastle can sack him and therefore not pay his wages but hold onto his registration in order to recoup some cash on a transfer (I think thats right – anyone confirm?)

• RyanToon

May 5, 2009 at 11:30 AM

da da da da fck the boro! 😉

bring em on!

• ian

May 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Now I know why so many people have punched Barton, I can handle myself if attacked but do not attack people, however if I had been in Shearer’s shoes it would take every ounce of my patience not to kick him round the changing room, I could still slap him now.

He had the chance to be the saviour, he could have wiped out all of his negative actions over four games, Ithough he could be one of our turning point players over the 3 games following Liverpool.

As far as I am concerned he is finished in football completely, his brain has gone completely he isnt in control of himself.

This is probably the usual Sun rubbish story, but to me Barton has finished his career, surely no contract needs to be honoured with a complete brain dead idiot like this who never works due to violence?

• Jamesthefirst

May 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Ever since he went to prison I’ve wanted him out of the club, but Keegan backed him.

At least we have someone who will gladly take him off our hands….Fat Sam will take him to Blackburn in the summer in all likelihood.

If Shearer stays as Manager then Barton will never wear the black and white again….thank you Shearer 🙂

• Toon Graeme

May 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Ryan – agreed.

Borough match is next priority.

I will be keeping an eye on Hull’s result on Saturday – thats for sure.

• punk skunk...

May 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM

…Yet more over-emotional, over-reaction to a tough tackle…If i remember correctly, even the commentator thought it was a yellow card!..
    …But hey!..This is Newcastle at liverpoo, with alonso rollin’ around like a fish, & Joey Barton!..
    …He got sent off, big F88kin’ WOW, football is now officially a game for rich teams, divers, actors & soft shites!..

• punk skunk...

May 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Anyone remember gerrard’s assault on Solano or even vidic’s attack on Martins this season etc?..

• RyanToon

May 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM

i think hull will beat stoke

then being 6 points off safety with boro coming to toon its gonna be hard

• Stuart79

May 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM

RyanToon // May 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM

i think hull will beat stoke

then being 6 points off safety with boro coming to toon its gonna be hard

I think Mackems are our best bet. Can’t see them getting another point to be honest. Although that means we have to get another 4 points from somewhere!

• ian

May 5, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Not over emotional, he could have thought about the club and staying on for the next three games.

I have seen worse tackles I agree, but it is Barton’s lack of respect for us and our position which has annoyed me, I wouldnt have slid for anything in his position, not even in the last game of the season.

• punk skunk...

May 5, 2009 at 12:07 PM

You make a fair point Ian!..

…But i stand by my comment of ‘Over-emotionalality’…If that’s a word!..

• Rodzilla

May 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I agree Toon Graeme and Ryan, I’ve stuck up for Barton on this blog and in the real world 😉 for the best part of a year now. This latest fiasco has eventually broke down my patience with him. I couldn’t believe that tackle, and the violent exchange reported (albeit verbal) in the dressing room just really hacks me off.

The lad could’ve at least reacted with a bit of humility and taken his due b0ll0cking on the chin instead of rising to it, his idiocy has affected NUFC first, then Joey Barton. What a shallow pr1ck. I eat all of my previous words of support for this tool. MMMmmmm, yum-yum.

(although I’m sure if he ever pulls a black and white shirt on again I’ll forgive him :S – fans are sooo fickle)

• punk skunk...

May 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM

May 5, 2009 at 12:27 PM

he could’ve put himself into the newcastle folklore; the headlines could’ve read:

instead it reads:

i’ve had enough of him, and i’ve supported him all the way (with so much $#@& thrown at my way from me mates) until that tackle. you’re hopeless joey. get the f#ck outa my club. you’re disgrace to our shirt.

• Gunners

May 5, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Not too good for team morale, and very distracting. I’m not even sure if the Newcastle can beat Boro with this kinda drama in the dressing room.

• Rodzilla

May 5, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Gunners, he ain’t gona be around mate, read this:

….all watta under the proverbial bridge noo!

• punk skunk...

May 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Knuck Fows?..

…But gunners, just kick those manc arses tonight please!..

• stk85

May 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM

stevep… good idea, similar to the whole mutu and his ching moment. he doesn’t deserve any more backing coz the lad cant be humble and hold his hands up to his mistakes. tosser. let fat sam or smegson deal with him.

sack the waste of space and retain his registration until we get at least 5mill for him.

• carlo

May 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Calm down! OK, it was a bad tackle and we all hate Joey for it. He could have been our brightest hope for the remaining games, but he blew it. However, I think we should not offload him. He´s our best midfielder by far but this season he´s had terrible luck with injuries. If Joey had been fit all season and playing to his abilities, we wouldn´t been complaining, regardless og his suspensions and red cards. Roy Keane commited some dreadful tackles througout his career (Haaland!) and do I need to remind anyone of Cantona´s kung fu, and both probably deserved some jailtime. Was there any talk from the ManU camp about sacking them or offl-loading for knock-down prices? I´m not saying you can compare Barton with Keane or Cantona, but you can hardly compare Manchester United to Newcastle United. Regardless of our survival we should try to hang on to him.

• stk85

May 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM

good linky to the chronicle article. millionaires healthclub, seriously why do these guys feel they should get an easy ride all the time?

also, beye has to be captain from now on. owen is no captain and butt needs to concentrate on his passing.

• Ross

May 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

surprise surprise the whole “shearers lost the dressing room already/joey and shearer bust up/barton beats shearer to within an inch of his life like he did on the streets, secret meeting with plastic surgeon planned before boro clash” articles have appeared. I’m sure there was some sort of altercation, Al will have told him what he thought of his actions but come on, we all know what the sun are like!
    Barton has been suspended because in his first game back after Shearer put faith in him, again, he acted like a complete plank. The suspension is punishment for his on field action, for shearer to prove a point-not for what happened in a changing room.

• NicoGF

May 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I remember Ed. Harrison’s article saying: ‘NU need a hero’ and it had a Joey Barton pic.

lol. HERO!