Two Wins In Last 3 Games – 33% Increase In Win Record

We could have told Joey Barton before he did it, that it was always going to be a losing proposition – arguing with Alan Shearer in front of his players –  especially when Joey didn’t have a leg to stand on in his argument. He should have buttoned his lip, but then again this is Joey Barton.

alan-shearer-bench

Alan Shearer – concentrating on Middlesbrough game – can we win it?

He let the side down, plain and simple, and he knows it.

It’s not the first time he’s done that at Newcastle, but most fans are hoping it’s the last time he does that, as he is now more than likely to be sent packing from Newcastle, as reports this morning suggest the club is even looking into what legal right they have to sack the lad.

John Beresford, who played fro Newcastle under Kevin Keegan from 1992 until 1998, had this to say to the Evening Chronicle this morning:

“He’s made a big mistake.” “He’s shown no respect to the manager and none at all to the fans.”

“The biggest tragedy of the whole thing is that Joey is actually a good player.” “But at a time when you want everyone pulling together this is the last thing people need.”

“When Joey looks back on it all rationally he will realise just how big a mistake he’s made.” “To speak to him one on one, you wonder what all the fuss is about.”

“But he showed at Liverpool why you just can’t have such liabilities in your side.”

Alan Shearer is now preparing for the game against Middlesbrough next Monday night, and we’ll just have to hope that the other teams continue to lose but on Saturday Sunderland play at Bolton, and Hull City play Stoke City at the KC Stadium, and they must win that game, if they are to put 6 points between themselves and Newcastle.

If Hull do win that game against Stoke, it will be very difficult for Newcastle to survive, because two wins in the last three games is unlikely, when we’ve had only one vicotry in the last 19 games, and just 6 wins in the 35 league games we’ve played this season.

So if we win 2 of our last 3 wins, that will increase our wins for the season in the league by a full third (about 33%) – amazing to say the least.

How we are still in this position however, is beyond us, with the players we now have available – you cannot accuse the vast majority of players at Newcastle with foing theiur job this season, can you?

John Beresford was asked if he though this latest situation at the club will impact the lads for the Middlesbrough game:

“I hope it doesn’t.” “For me though it will probably cleanse things a bit following Sunday at Liverpool.”

“Whatever way you look at this, it’s do or die.” “Both teams go into it knowing that only victory will do.”

“I’m stunned that Newcastle are even in this position.” “A draw could relegate both, which would be unbelievable.”

“And part of you is asking ‘do they want to stay up?’ “I’m sure they do.” “But they must start against Middlesbrough and you are of course looking at Hull and Sunderland to drop points again.”

The good news is that we shouldn’t even be in with a chance of staying up, having gained just 4 points from our last 10 league games, and scored just 4 goals in that period.

That’s just absolutely pathetic and we deserve to be relegated is we cannot improve on that record in our last 3 games of the season, it’s as simple as that.

• estechco

May 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

First?

Mathematically, only one win is necessary…but I take your point!

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

No Ed, it would require a 25% increase in our win record. Where did you get that Phd from again? 🙂

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Depends which way you look at it I suppose.

• Stuart79

May 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

workyticket // May 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Not like you to contridict someone Worky

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Ed, Please stop writing about Joey Barton, he deserves to vanish of the face of the earth after this and for his career to go up in smoke. I don’t care about him at all. He’s history.

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Stuart, I’m not contradicting him exactly, that’s why I wrote “Depends which way you look at it I suppose”.

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Do you guys think it’s a coincidence that since Shearer said he might offer Viduka another year he has been fit and playing and Duff is suddenly on good form. hmmm.. mabey something to do with his two year contract with huge wages that would undoubtably be ripped up if we got relegated.

We need some geordies coming through. That Doninger looks promising and so does Godsmark, hope those two can form the basis of our midfield in future under Shearer I really do.

• Stuart79

May 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Mark Viduka will NOT be staying NUFC on his current wages.

I would give him a one year contract on 30,000k a week

• Whumpie

May 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM

If you look at the fixtures of the other teams, we now have the best 3 of the lot. 3 points could actually do it, but I really – REALLY – don’t want to be relying on that.

The only silver lining at the mo is the way Big Al is handling things (ably assisted by Dowie, of course). I believe he will turn us around – starting in the fizzy league if needs be – and get us back on track again for the first time since Sir Bobby was here.

If we do go down, then I only hope some of these excuses for fans go elsewhere. I am sick of seeing thousands of empty seats with 15 minutes to go, as these pathetic excuses for ‘supporters’ value their ability to exit parking spaces quickly above their duty to support their team.

I don’t care if we’re 3 goals down with 20 minutes to go. I don’t care if you are in danger of a four-day traffic jam if you wait until the final whistle. YOU STAY IN YOUR SEAT AND GIVE SUPPORT!!

• Whumpie

May 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM

DJG – agree about our reserves. If we go down, it’ll be the perfect opportunity to bring these guys through and build a team around the grass roots players – in the mould of Harper – who will always be loyal.

Interesting point about Duff and Viduka too – mind you, can anyone remember Viduka having a bad game? When he’s fit, he’s good. I suspect a pay-by-play contract will be offered, and I’d like to see that. He would have scored against the ‘pool if the linesman had had his specs on.

• neil

May 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Workyticket I am afraid there is only 1 way to look at the percentages and that is the way Ed has done it. We have won 6 games and we need to win 33% of this number if we are to survive (If you believe we need 2 wins!!)
    You can’t have it at 25% as we don’t have 8 wins already. Sorry to get all techno but hey ho!

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

DJG // May 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM

“We need some geordies coming through.”

Why do we need more Geordies coming through DJG?

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

May 6, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Whumpie gotta agree with those pathetic excuse of support who leave so early. On monday night I will finally get home around 2 in the morning from the game as I do every night game. and these idiots that only live 20 mins away need to take a look at them selves.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

May 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Well the way I see it that 6 wins in 35 equals 18.2%
    and 2 wins in 3 equals 66.6%
    Meaning that an improvement of 48.5% is required

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 2:52 PM

neil // May 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

“Workyticket I am afraid there is only 1 way to look at the percentages and that is the way Ed has done it…”

Neil, if we win eight games, then our current six would be 75% of that, add the other two and you could say that our record increased by 25%.

On the other hand, Ed is correct too, that’s why i said “Depends on which way you look at it”.

Sorry to get all techno but hey ho!

• Toon Graeme

May 6, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Whumpie – agreed mate. We need bums on seats til the end. I park up by the BBC normally which gets rammed with traffic. Doesnt bother me at all – all part and parcel of going. Even when I get the bus, If I miss it – I get the next. Its ridiculous.

We do not want to be like the mackems who deserted when 1 goal went in and sat there in silence.

• komfort

May 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM

the way i look at it we need 2 wins!!

HOWAY THE LADS !!!!

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Waldo P. Barnstormer // May 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM

“Well the way I see it that 6 wins in 35 equals 18.2%
    and 2 wins in 3 equals 66.6%
    Meaning that an improvement of 48.5% is required”

Even better Waldo!

• Johno Toon

May 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM

i even think a win and 2 drawas will keep us up

• Whumpie

May 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Lies, damned lies and… statistics.

I’m with komfort – just get the bloody points!!

I’m gutted that I’ve had to abandon my plan to fly up and get to the match. If there are any seats left I may cry. How can people live within a few miles of SJP and not turn up??? Sell a kidney if you have to!!

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM

workyticket // May 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

DJG // May 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM

“We need some geordies coming through.”

Why do we need more Geordies coming through DJG?

Who do we have, ex international has-beens and wage merchants. We had 6 local (reasonably) lads playing when we came runners up to Man U. What inspirational geordie leaders do we have now? Steve Harper (County Durham) and Andy Carroll (Gateshead) Steven Taylor are I think the only geordies in the first team. Mark Doninger midfield general and future captain lol.

• Johno Toon

May 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM

but dgf if ( and that is the big word ) they are good enough does it matter where they come from?

But i would certainly give the youngsters a chance if they are good enough

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

May 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM

DJG remind me of the 6 local lads please when we came runners up

• Whumpie

May 6, 2009 at 3:22 PM

DJG – I totally agree, and I’m not even a Geordie. You do get ‘adopted locals’ like Pav, but the best way to get that passion and consistency is to “grow yer own”.

Besides – Platini is going to make it the rule soon, so why not get ahead of the rest?

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Johno Toon,

Are the people we’ve got now good enough like coz I don’t think so. Our reserves have finished near the top of the Northern league and if it wasn’t for Sunderland reserves we probably would have won it. Why in future under Shearer wouldn’t they be better than these current players. Nile Ranger has scored something like 20 goals, Doninger 8. How many has Martins and Viduka scored this season. I know it is a different level but they are only starting out.
    Call me racist or whatever but I think we should have a geoedie captain. If not someone like Beye who is a consumate professional and desperately wants success.

• Whumpie

May 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I just had a weird… optimistic.. slightly desperate… thought.

What happens if a club goes into administration during the close season? Do they get docked points in the following season, or is it done retrospectively, thereby relegating them straight away?

Bolton and at least four others are reported to be on the brink. It’s straw-clutching at its best, but could it be a route to salvation?

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Waldo I can’t remember it was in an article but im not making it up. Its the likes of Howey, Batty I don’t know i was 8 or 9 at the time.

• Johno Toon

May 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I agree djg the players we have are not good enough , but not all our young players are geordie , ranger aint i think he is from london , that is all im saying.

By all acounts we have some cracking players in that set up and the more 1st team football they get the better , but only if they are good enough to make thestep up , As im sure we are all aware of the amount of young players who are tipped for a great future but arent good enough.

As long as they are good enough i dont care where they come from!

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

May 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I wernt very old but Batty was a leeds lad

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Steve Watson, Lee Clark both geordies, What about Beresford, Beardley I don’t know.

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Yeah ranger is from london and Krul from Holland. But Forster, Godsmark, Doninger, Donaldson are all geordies. Im not bothered if they are ALL GEORDIES but what im saying is at least if they have come up through the ranks they are not big time charlies that we are lumbered with now.

• Johno Toon

May 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 3:44 PM

DJG // May 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM

“Because look at Chelsea who have they got, Terry, Lampard, Joe Cole all leaders. Look at Liverpool, Steven Gerrard captain and scouser, Carragher.”

Well they’re not Geordies DJG, and most of the Chelsea one were Hammers originally anyway. Did ‘Cockney Mafia’ members, Robert Lee, Les Ferdinand and Scott Parker have leadership qualities at this club? Or Kevin Keegan the Yorkshireman? Gary Speed the Welshman? Or were they just “wage merchants” to use your term. Do they measure up to local lads like Shola Ameobi or Peter Ramage? (OK, I’m being sarky now!)

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Johno Toon // May 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM

“your spot on there , they will grow up with the culture of the club and not just think ‘ hey i can make a qucik few quid here ‘”

Johno, with all due respect, that’s an insult to all the great Newcastle players who have come from outside the region.

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM

worky,

You have jumped to the rather short-sighted conclusion that I consider all non-geordie players wage merchants. Leading me to believe that you are yourself a non- geordie supporter of the toon with a chip on you shoulder although I could be wrong.

I wasnt suggesting that players like Gary Speed and ‘Sir Les’ wern’t fantastic servents to the club and indeed I couldn’t care less that they wern’t born in the region. I consider them knights of the relm with keys to the city. ( Rob Lee, ‘Sir Les’ ect. ect.)

The point I was trying to make is that alot of our current squad have no such affinity with Newcastle United. For Michael Owen ect. we are simply a place where he can earn 100,000+ a week on the back of a reputation. I don’t care that Nile Ranger was born in London ( as was Stevie Taylor by the way) the fact that these players have come through the ranks is better for the future of our club. Instead of buying ‘has-beens’ for years now.

• chuck

May 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Workeyticket,
    Stop casting pearls among swine.

• chuck

May 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM

DJG
    Your premis is ridicules, think about it, could you possibly, given the choice of all geordies presently playing in the PL field a team that would be a top six team ?

• DJG

May 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Chuck

There isn’t enough geordies in the PL to even field a team.

——————–Harper———————
    ?????—-S.Taylor–Edgar(canadian)–???
    ????—— Carrick—?????————?????
    —————Ameobi—Carroll————–

Utterly disgusting when you think about the number of Liverpool born players there is you could make two teams.

Why like are you another non-geordie with a chip on your shoulder.

• chuck

May 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Just pointing out the reality, no offense.

• workyticket

May 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM

DJG // May 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM

“Why like are you another non-geordie with a chip on your shoulder.”

What is your problem DJG? You sound like some kind of Geordie ‘brownshirt’. Why on earth should anyone have a chip on their shoulder because they don’t come from a certain part of the North East of England?

FYI, I was born in Gosforth, and raised in Durham City and Newcastle. Is that Geordie enough for you? Divven’t knaa aboot Chuck, like.