Danny Guthrie Desperate To Play His Part In Survival

Danny Guthrie hasn’t seen much action since Alan Shearer took over at Newcastle, but he has an outside chance of a starting berth against Middlesbrough on Monday night.

danny-guthrie-silver

Danny Guthrie – outside chance of a start on Monday

And we have little doubt that Danny would produce the goods for Newcastle on Monday, unlike a lot of our older and more experienced players. He had a great start to the season, but has been injured and unable to get too many games since Kevin Nolan arrived at the club in January.

But Joey Barton is suspended and Alan Smith is only 50-50 for the game on Monday, so Alan Shearer could reshuffle his central midfield for Monday’s gamer.

Guthrie is now getting back to his full fitness after a hamstring layoff of nearly six weeks ago, and it looks like toe former Liverpool player is very anxious to play, as he talked to Newcastle United TV today:

“I feel strong now and it’s just a case of getting games,” “I want to play my part in these last three games and what is hopefully an escape from the relegation zone.”

“I just want to be out there. It’s frustrating when you’re on the sidelines, especially when results aren’t going your way.”

“I’m desperate to play and hopefully the gaffer will think I’ve done enough in training and the games I’ve played to win a place against Middlesbrough.”

“The two home games are massive and we always knew they would be,” “But especially this Middlesbrough one because they’re in the same position as we are. We’ve got to win, no doubt about it.”

“You have to keep believing we will get out of it and we will give it everything we’ve got.”

The impressive thing about Danny’s game is that like many players schooled at Liverpool, he very rarely gives the ball away, and right now he is a good and promising player for the club, and a good buy at just £2M last summer.

He simply needs more games, and we’ll have to wait and see how much confidence Alan has in the youngster, but we’d like to see Danny play some part in Monday night’s game.

• Jamesthefirst

May 8, 2009 at 12:56 PM

For me he’s the only Midfielder I would keep next season (yes I’d even sell Jonas). At 21 Guthrie is a good English prospect that is a perfect squad player to have (not first 11).

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Not first 11, but a prospect – we need someone creative to play alongside a player of Guthrie’s energy and tackling ability….don’t have one, forget Barton he’s finished and not as good as we through he would be, Butt too old, Geremi not good enough, Smith not good enough etc. Even on the wings, Jonas flatters to decieve, Duff never quite lived up to hype, Lovenkrands not good enough etc. Our entire midfield needs an overhaul….we need a new Centre Half if not two, left back keeping Enrique as cover, and we need to replace Owen and Viduka up front regardless of whether we stay up or go down – so massive summer of changes regardless of which league we are in – I hope Guthrie stays, but only for potential.

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM

kevheslop – You need to work on your capitalisation. What was your English GCSE grade? I’d ask if you did it at A Level or Uni, but well, let’s face it, you never did either, did you?

• Whumpie

May 8, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Rather Guthrie than Nolan at the moment. Butt can look after the sensible, defensive stuff, but we need Guthrie and Jonas either side of him to get through the brick wall that the smogs will park across the middle of the pitch.

I don’t actually remember Guthrie having a particularly bad match – a few injuries, but a really positive attitude and an ability to keep the ball on the carpet next to a black and white shirt.

Posession in the middle is going to be what wins or loses the game on Monday, and I reckon this’ll do it:

—————Harper—————-
    Beye – S.Taylor – Bassong – Duff
    —Jonas——Butt——Guthrie
    —————-Owen—————
    ——Viduka———–Martins

Options: Nolan for Butt, Carroll for Duke, Lua Lua for either Jonas or Guthrie – even Owen, but that would put us effectively back to 4-4-2.

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM

This is a blog site not an exam 51times! So I donT caRe about How my caPilizatioN bothErs you…your missing the point of the site….however you powers of deduction are very strong, I did not do English at A Level or Uni, I did Business Studies then IT, to which end I am an IT Business Consultant if your interested…..I hope your studies went well at Uni and that you either have or will have a successful and fulfilling career matey! 😉

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:20 PM

You never went to university, you BNP voting tw*t.

• Whumpie

May 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Benny, or whatever your real name is – bog off.

Back on subject:

I forgot Lovenkrands! Perhaps start him instead of Jonas? Or is 4 strikers a bit, um, ambitious?

• JP...from The Rock

May 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM

kevheslop – Spot on m8t! but I do rate Lovenkrands as a striker. I prefer him to Owen and Viduka to be honest.

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I did – but why do you care either way? And why the BNP comments? Explain!

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Never really seen Lovenkrands up front as I missed few games while I ws abroad with work earlier this year, but he clearly has pace so maybe true

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Whumpie – If that was directed at me, f*ck off, I’ve been here since a few months after the blog opened. You’ve been here what, like 3 months?

• JP...from The Rock

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM

51times – stick to making comments about football and Newcastle and not grammer lessons you fool. Some min0r mistakes are obvious in a blog even Ed makes the odd mistake here and there. Who cares!!?? ( apart from you) No one does. What we do care about is Newcastle United staying in the Premier League.

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Exactly JP – not sure what 51times is on about – on the other thread he is accusing me of being a BNP racist because I said I am English – he has issues….

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM

that isnt the real 51 times

• Jamesthefirst

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Heard from Man Utd people that Shearer has approached Man Utd about taking Ben Foster on loan next season, and that providing we stay up the deal has been agreed.

No idea if there is ant truth in this but the same people told me we were signing Butt from Man Utd a month before the deal happened.

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

he isnt the real 51 times

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

The only people deluded and thick enough to believe we’re thought of as equals by England are far-right bigots, Marxist internationalists and the ignorant. I am a left-wing nationalist, not unlike Fatah in Palestine.

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM

why arent my commentsshowing

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM

oh so they are now

btw 51 times what are you talking about

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM

my commenrs only show when i say they arent showing

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM

51 times

i am english and not racist

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM

something has gone wrong with this site

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM

51times – your confused mate, really, who do you mean by ‘England’ when you are saying how we are thought of……we are as much ‘England’ as anyone else….you have an inferiority complex mate, I am proud to be a Geordie and proud to be English, may opinions are equal of that to any other English person, I have an equal vote as any other Englishman, my £’s are worth the same as anyone elses …. if you think we are anything less that is your problem mate – sort it out in your own head, leave us out of it!

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Guthrie was pretty poor last time out, with some sloppy ambitious passing. Keeping it around the corners and to feet (Viduka’s) could work against Boro though. And he’s very tidy at the short passing game. I like him but he needs to improve and keep on improving.

51times – which direction of the circle are you heading in though?

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Where’s punk skunk today, he’s always understood the need for socialist independence in the North East

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM

No 51times – he just agreed with you in the hope you would change the subject quicker!

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM

kevheslop – You really don’t have a clue, do you? My God, how can you be so out of touch with your own home?

• DJM TOON

May 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM

kevheslop, ignore him fella, he’s baiting anybody just to get a bite, the only reason he’s focused on you is because you gave him the time of day… noone else has his attention, although saying that, i’ll probably get some stick now… and god knows what he’ll say to me, my grandfather was german and my ma’s from middlesbrough!

re: NUFC, i would like to see Lualua get a decent run out, were all sitting here complaining we have no creativity, that boy has it in spades we know that, i know he didnt get much pitch time at donny or score, but anyone know how his play was??

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM

beye – I blame the user.

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Anyway, in summary, please move to London. Thanks.

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM

i am not racist

• nufc-rip

May 8, 2009 at 1:44 PM

How rubbish are Newcastle? Disgrace to the premiership this year and deserved relegation fight. Maybe one day you will step out of the shadows of boro or sunderland. Newcastle survive? Small ball in hells chance come to mind lol

• JJJ

May 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM

If we did go down. Peter would be just the callibre of striker we’d need to keep us up.
    Im trying to think of who would stay with us should that happen. And heres what Ive come up with….
    (Krul)
    ————————–Harper————————-

(*Mancienne) (Tozer) (Edgar) (*Mattock)
    R Taylor——-S Taylor——-Bassong——-Kadar

(*Delph) (*S Hunt) (*B Watson) (*Wilshere)
    Lua Lua———Guthrie——-Butt———–Vuckic

(*Doyle) (Ranger)
    ————-Carroll——-Lovenkrans—————–

Subs: Krul, Tozer, Kadar, Ameobi, Ranger, Vuckic, Baheng, Inman.
    (*) – represents the players I reckon we could sign or get on loan that would help get us back up…

We’d have to sell: Free – Owen (100k/w), 8Mil – Martins (80k/w), 3M – Duff (60k/w), Free – Viduka (60k/w), Sack – Barton (50k/w), 4Mil – Smith (50k/w), 5Mil – Coloccini (5ok/w), 5Mil – Jonas (40k.w), 4Mil – Beye (40k/wk), 5Mil – Enrique (35k/w), Free – Geremi (40k/wk), Free – Casapa (40k/wk). 2Mil – Xisco (20k/wk) Hopefully not Bassong….

Even if we stayed up I’d sell all of them with the exception of Martins, Duff, Beye and Enrique.

That would be about 34Mil pounds a year saved on wages, plus about 34Mil pounds recouped in transfers… So We’d get about 68Mil plus 30Mil from the FA as parachute drop to relegation.

Thats leaves us with the squad I’ve mentioned and 100Mil. So say 70Mil went into covering the costs of our relegation and 30Mil could be spent on players and their wages to get us back up…

I reckon with that we could buy players like Kevin Doyle (proven scorer in the championship), Steven Hunt, Joe Mattock, Fabian Delph, and get the likes of Mancienne and Wilshere on a years loan.

If we stay up, I’d bring in Crouch (ST), Downing (LM), Radek Sirl (DL), Darijo Srna (RM) and Silvain Distin (DC), Niko Kranjar and Michael Johnson.
    Well not all of them but try for who we an get.
    If we get the pick of those with premier league experience we’d have…
    Those seven signings would cost about 40Mil though in total and I dont see Ashley spending that money on the team. So I only see the same situation of a relegation fight next year because honestly looking at it now… OUR TEAM IS SH!T, REALLY REALLY SH!T…

That would leave us…

————————-Harper————————–

Beye———Distin———–Bassong——-Enrique

Srna———Johnson——-Kranjar——-Downing

——————Crouch—–Martins——————

Subs: Krul, R Taylor, S Taylor, Edgar, Sirl, Lua Lua, Guthrie, Duff, Smith, Butt, Vuckic, Lovenkrans, Ranger…

That already looks like a top 8 side. But notice how we’d have to buy an ENTIRE new midfield that would take time to gel (shows how bad ours is at present).
    Downing would be available if when Borough go down, and Crouch, Distin and Kranjar would all be wanting away from Portsmouth since HR left.

Radek Sirl would be excellent at either left wing back or left mid as would Srna on the right side cover both postitions.
    Kranjar and Johnson would give creativity in midfield and Guthrie would cover.
    Downing and Srna would give brillant width and delivery.
    A fit Martins and Crouch would cause havoc for any defense. Both are hard to defend against.
    Carew may be a cheaper option for Crouch if out of favour at Villa.

But hey, Im just trying create something in my mind where the future may look positive.

And as cruel as it sounds, as a true fan. If Ashely isnt willing to invest about 40Mil, or sell to someone who is. Then I honestly and truthfully hope we get relegated so that we can start from scratch.

Because if the ead wood that I mentioned below stay at our club then us staying up will only delay inevitable relegation – because our 80% of our players are not up to preniership standard.

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM

how dare u call me racist

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM

DJM – Do you understand what the term “socialist” means?

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM

“Small ball in hells chance”????

• beyethegreat

May 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM

nufc rip

what is your problem with us

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM

beye – are you talking to me?

• JJJ

May 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM

And I agree James, I’d also only keep Guthrie, well, I’d keep Duff too, but as a squad player…

Jonas for me is simply no good, yes he can dribble and works hard. But his dribbles have NEVER amounted to anything (cant remember one goal but i do remember ALOT of losing the ball)…
    Not saying he is a bad player, because he plays the wingback position well for Argentina, but at Necastle his dribbling is too often and therefore too predictable. If he learned to pass more and learned to shoot or whip crosses in we’d have a good buy, as it is, we have an illution of a good player.
    Same with Colo, he cannot play CB in the premiership, as he is too slow on the turn, but maybe he could be used as DM in place of Butt, whose passing is probably th worst in the team and I cant understand why he is the one trying to make through balls when he just cant get it right…

• beyethegreat