Shearer Can Become Great – Newcastle Players Hopeless

Jim Smith, who has managed quite a few football clubs in his time, including Newcastle United from 1988 until 1991, thinks Alan Shearer has the pedigree to become a top class manager.

Jim Smith – Newcastle Manager – 1988 until 1991
   Jim has been talking about Newcastle’s plight and the future of Alan Shearer,  to the Evening Chronicle today:

“Alan is tough enough to face up to stick. It’s a tremendous ask to save Newcastle but I think he is strong enough for the challenge.”

“He is looking for beginners luck in some ways.”  “And he is under pressure.”  “But the important thing is that he’s aware of the situation.”

“He deserves respect for taking on the challenge, it would have been easy to sit where he was.”

Alan could also have been swayed to take the job by the reported £1M he will get, if he is successful in saving Newcastle United, but that looked much better odds when he first took over with 8 games remaining.

There’s no doubt that managers have tremendous responsibility, but it’;s almost the oppsite with players, who get paid huge amounts of money, with little or no responsibility whatsoever.

Sam Palmisano, the IBM Chairman and CEO gets little more than some of the top football players, and he runs a $105B worldwide business. And I didn’t get anywhere near what the players now get, but built up a $1B business at IBM in the 4 years before I retired. Footballers are vastly overpaid for what they do (which hasn’t been much at Newcastle this season), and that’s a fact.

It even looks like they are not even held accountable if they don’t perform, or they are out injured all season, as quite a few of our players have been injured this season,. Yes, we know it’s not their fault.  🙁

But we noticed there was a rapid return for some of our injured players once Alan took over, and the only one that hasn’t become fit is our phantom Uruguayan midfielder Nacho Gonzales, who has has now had an Achilles injury for 3 years – or something like that (just kidding Uruguyan readers).

Smith also knows about the level of responsibility that Shearer now has at the club:

Jim continued:

“It’s different to Alan’s playing days.”  “You turn up, give your all and then go home.”  “The responsibility doesn’t go away when you are a manager.”

“He will, as a Geordie lad, know that the whole town are counting on him to lead the team.”  “He’s a strong character though and he will feel it can be done.”

“It’s do-able.”  “Newcastle though can’t afford to lose another game.” “Even draws are no good really.” “It’s up to the guys on the pitch to take the pressure and start getting a result for their manager.”

Yes, survival is still possible, but it will hardly be because of the effort or the heart shown by most of our players his year, We’re looking forward to a massive clear-out of overpaid players at Newcastle this summer, and think Alan will be only too willing to oblige.

But they’ll still be very rich – thank you very much – and that seems the important thing to most of them.

• G 2

May 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM

You can’t survive in the premier league without a midfield, we couldnt create chances against a sunday league team.

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM

We are as fluent as congealed snot. We need to blow our our nose, pick off the dry bits and start breathing again.

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM

bowburnmag – Looking at it historically, we have stronger claims to independence than both the Basques and the Catalans. Northumbria was a nation for 224 years, surely that warrants a national assembly like the Welsh have?

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM

51times – would that include little old me in Bowburn though? And would it mean stronger sentences for property developers who broke the water pipes up the street?

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM

We rejected the Northern Regional Government by vote – we were the only English region given then vote and we voted against – this was 3+ years ago – move on!!!

• Sav

May 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Well look on the bright side – looks like we’ve actually got a bidding war brewing between Big Sam and Gary Megson over pal Joey. – unbelievable!
    IF we beat Boro, Fulham will not seem such an insurmountable task as it does just now. But this week we need Stoke and Bolton to do us big favours or the smogs game could turn out to be academic.

• workyticket

May 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Stop the witchhunt Ed. It’s just getting nasty now. Trying to get fans to turn on all the players at a time like this will do no good whatsoever.

BTW Ed, Sam Palmisano makes almost $25 million a year when you count all his options etc and you should know that Ed, being an ex ‘Big Blue’ boy yourself. How many footballers get paid anywhere near that? 😉

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM

kevheslop – You fool, this isn’t England – England hates you. You are not welcome there. This will happen, regardless of brainwashed plebs like you.

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM

It didn’t happen – given the choice voters rejected the Northern Assembly – do you not remember?

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:13 PM

BTW – I am not brainwashed, I ACTUALLY AM ENGLISH, really I am…I am an Englishman from Newcastle…..England does not hate me, and personally I don’t think there is going to be any kind of peasants revolt, and seeing that the Northern Assembly got rejected by voters, not the Government, I don’t see how this is going to happen, brainwashed or not!!

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:14 PM

If we can’t sell Barton, we should follow the lead of 51times, build a wall and put Barton’s head on a sentry post as a warning to outsiders and put Big Al’s new motto on a banner underneath “You will not take the p*ss out of this region”. My worry is that despite my suggestions previously, big Al couldn’t lead the assembly while he’s in charge at the Toon? Or could he?

If only Jim Smith was still in charge….

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM

kevheslop is probably a racist NF member, I saw you scumbags outside monument on St. Georges Day (only racists celebrate that btw). You sicken me.

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Technically, I probably should have posted my comments under the correct thread –

“Usual nonsense before big game……”

• geordie deb

May 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Ed – bit of a misleading title to say the least…
    Thought I was about to read comments bythat old warhorse Jim Smith slagging off the players – but he does no such thing. Why add that comment in? Not only is it misleading but it seems like you are on a crusade at the moment to put the players down not very helpful I don’t think

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:20 PM

51times – what are you on about? Seriously that’s out of order mate, not what these sites are about – I am not a racist or national front member….I am not anti anybody, quite a liberal easy going kind of guy – I just hate ignorant tw@ts that’s all.

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM

kev – 51times is an unhinged wind-up, sorry I assumed you were aware of it. I might be partly to blame for encouraging him to start on his regionalist crusade through my sarcasm on this and another thread. For which I apologise if he offended you.
    Incidentally, everyone should be anti-spam and anti-virus. I’m also auntie bowburnmag but that’s just for the weekends.

Of course if kevheslop is also 51 then more fool me (a fool).

• AndyNUFC

May 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

51times… Only racists celebrate St. George’s Day? That’s the sort of view that made taxis have to take off flags of England from their cars, which really p*ssed me off.

• workyticket

May 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM

“Thought I was about to read comments bythat old warhorse Jim Smith slagging off the players – but he does no such thing.”

So did I Deb. Ed’s ‘crusade’ is because of Shearer. But as you suggest, it won’t be helpful to either him or the team.

• kevheslop

May 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I am not 51times gladly Bowburn – and thanks for the heads up.

• geordie deb

May 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Hi Worky – how’s the decorating?
    Ed is taking a very negative stance regarding the players at the moment which I just don’t think is helpful. Every article seems to have a dig at their effort, attitude, commitment, how much they earn etc etc – just ends up winding people up.

• workyticket

May 8, 2009 at 2:13 PM

geordie deb // May 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM

“Hi Worky – how’s the decorating?”

It’s moved on to the DIY phase now Deb, shelves going up, new locks going in, radiators getting fixed etc. Thanks for asking.

As for Ed, Shearer’s trying to play it all down now from the usual press hysteria. He really doesn’t need all this, we should be backing both Shearer AND the players. Of course, he has every right to his opinion, but I’m disappointed at the tabloid style manipulation, the misleading titles, the deliberately misleading examples etc (he knows that his ex boss is paid mostly in share options and makes WAY more than even top footballers) etc.

• jimiley

May 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM

your comment about our “players” is spot on. They are useless and vastly overpaid. Which other clubs would pay 70K a week for the likes of Viduka, Smith, Duff, Geremi, Butt, Oba or even 110K for Owen? To say that such comments are not helpful is simply avoiding the truth. Why is the truth unhelpful? Its timing is irrelevant.

• Rodzilla