Shearer Likely To Play 4-3-3 And Attack Middlesbrough

Alan Shearer was asked about the situation – again – about Joey Barton at Newcastle, during his news conference yesterday.

Alan Shearer  – likely to play 4-3-3 on Monday night – we need goals

It’s hardly surprising that Joey, who cannot play again this season, has asked to stay away from the training ground, and maybe even the games until the end of the season.

Since he cannot play the last thing you would want, is to have Barton be the star each week in training – that just wouldn’t work too well.

And since he had a huge argument with his manager, that’s another good  reason why he would be a drag on team spirit – so this all makes perfect sense.

Of course, we also believe that’s Joey”s last mistake at Newcastle, and are expecting an announcement on his future any time now from the club, and he will not be staying on Tyneside.

Shearer said this about Joey Barton, when asked about his situation yesterday:

“We’ve said about the Joey thing, he’s suspended until further notice so I can’t really go into things other than what we’ve already said,”

“I’ve got far more important things to talk about. It has not affected out build up and the mood has been good and I have been encouraged.”

We would expect Alan to play a 4-3-3 combination against Middlesbrough since we must score goals, and we even expect Martins, Owen and Viduka to all start, with Lovenkrands held in reserve on the bench.

And it appears that Alan will again play the resourceful Damion Duff at left back, as Enrique isa still injured.

Alan said yesterday:

“I don’t think we’ll have a natural left-back on Monday. We’ll have Damien Duff available,”

With Steven Taylor presumably fit again, we’d like to see him pitched straight back in the defense on Monday night, and we could envision the team being something like the following:

Beye S.Taylor Bassong Duff
Gutierrez Butt Nolan
Owen (c) Viduka Martins

That’s a more than decent line-up – at least on paper – and in normal times should be good enough to get all 3 points.

But these are normal times.

Comments very welcome.

• Ericles

May 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

This still means Butt and Nolan in the team. Oh no no no…

• Jamesthefirst

May 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM

4-3-3 worries me because we don’t have the players for it. All we have on the wage bill in midfield is holding midfield players: Butt, Smith, Guthrie, Nolan.

So what’s the point of playing 3 in midfield if they sit back and don’t have the legs to run up and support the strikers.

Admittedly Jonas can run (and I love the guy’s attitude) but he is a headless chicken on the field. He’s never shown an end product to the running.

And Boro will make it hard by craming the midfield with 5 players. So our middle 3 will struggle as usual, get overun and put our defence under pressure too many times….and we’ve all seen how our defence handles pressue…

No doubt Butt will make some crazy tackles outside our own box to allow them good free kicks too.

If Shearer picks 4-3-3 we will not win the game.

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

One of the things I won’t miss about nufcblog is the articles every 5 minutes.

• Whumpie

May 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

51times – bit mean, mate. I’m going to really miss this site!

James has a point – that midfield is too defensive and we’ll get blocked every time. I’d rather see Guthrie in there than Nolan, and even Lua Lua if we’re not getting through.

One thing is for certain: not buying a left-back OR a creative midfielder for several windows has shafted us. Good that we have a manager now with so much cudos that he can say so with impunity.

What gives me hope is that I still think there are lots of goals in that front 3.

Bring on the smogs.

• Toon Graeme

May 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Come on Stoke!!!!

• komfort

May 8, 2009 at 11:59 AM

jamesthefirst , have you seen boro play lately ?their utter crap !! , we will rip them apart playing 4 3 3 … 3-0 OWEN HATRICK !

HOWAY THE LADS !!!!!

• 51times

May 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Whumpie – ‘bit mean’? How long have you been coming here? I’ve been banned 5 times now so I would think people here know me.

• Toon Graeme

May 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Komfort – thats positive thinking mate there fella. Lets hope so. I thinkg it will go down to on goal.

• komfort

May 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM

this game is MASSIVE ! we need to WIN ! we will WIN !…..

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 12:45 PM

4-3-3 is probably the only way to play with the squad we have. Whether we can make something of the remaining games by playing that formation is a totally different matter.

“bit mean” – that was actually very funny.

• workyticket

May 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM

We don’t have the right CM to play 4-3-3. The nearest thing we did have has just been suspended for being a nutter. As I said in a previous article here, 4-3-3 is for top teams with special players like Essien and Yaya Toure. Players who can combine strong defensive skills with attacking and creative skills to link with the front line. If Dowie and Shearer go 4-3-3 with our current midfielders (-Barton), it could be costly.

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM

worky – we don’t have wingers/wide men with the ability to get past players and deliver either though. So perhaps we’re bascially fooked?

I think these next few games will literally come down to endeavour and desire and tactics will be out of the window. Regardless of the formation, within reason, it’ll either happen or it won’t.

• bowburnmag

May 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM

worky – but you’d agree we don’t have wingers/wide men who can get past people and deliver either? So perhaps we’re just totally knackered.

My feeling is that 4-3-3 will hopefully help people get in and around the right areas. Technically, I think tactics will be out of the window (thankfully) for the next few games. It will be totally down to desire and endeavour and whether the players want it badly enough. That’s the stage we’re at now. I’ve seen precious little so far but I remain hopeful.

• Whumpie

May 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Let’s not forget that it’s not really a standard 4-3-3 but a sort of 4-1-2-1-2 diamondy thing. Owen provides the spark at the front of midfield.

Also, the smogs have to attack just like us, and I think we have by far the best strikers. I think they may nick one, but we should get 3 past them.

I’m just off to buy some more pills.

• Tom_Toon