How Come Martins Still Has His Groin Injury?

We’re really surprised and disappointed that Oba Martins is apparently still suffering from his groin injury – which he’s had for several months now.   Why on earth was he not sent back to top groin surgeon Dr. Ulrike Muschaweck at her clinic in Munich, Germany to get it fixed?

oba-martins_obafemi_nufc_profile_2007

Oba Martins – his groin should have been fixed long ago

Our understanding is that she already had worked on Oba, a few months back, and if it wasn’t right, it seems to us that there has been plenty of time to get it fixed with Muchhaweck’s quick fix methods, where she uses only a local anesthetic. She’s operated on Michael Owen and Alan Shearer and other top football players, in her career.

It’s ridiculous to us that Oba is still struggling from his groin and it’s now just 3 games to go in the season. It seems to us it’s another huge mistake by our less than good medical staff.

So it looks like Martins will not play tonight, and there were some rumors on this yesterday, so it looks like Michael Owen will get a start tonight, and maybe Peter Lovenkrands, who we like a lot, will make up the front three.

We don’t think we’ll miss Oba too much, quite honestly, since he has hardly been in goalscoring form of late.

We keep hearing that Michael Owen has been professional in the way he’s handled himself, since Alan dropped the former Liverpool player for the game at Anfield, and Shearer told the Evening Chronicle today:

“He’s reacted in a very professional way, and the way you’d expect him to. Michael’s available for us.”

And we’d also like to see young Danny Guthrie to get a start tonight in the middle three, as Alan Smith is injured again, and of course Joey Barton is gone for the season.

Alan talked about Guthrie today:

“He might come into the equation anyway, to be honest, because of attitude, his will to win and his desire.”

“I’ve been impressed with him, and we’re going to need all of those qualities on Monday.” “I’ve got a team in my head, and we’ll see where we go.”

“He can play the game, and has got a very good attitude.” “He wants to play.”

Now that Martins is unfit, we expect the team line-up to be as follows tonight:

Harper
Beye S.Taylor Bassong Duff
Nolan Butt Guthrie
Lovenkrands Viduka Owen (c)
Subs: Krul Coloccini R.Taylor Geremi Carroll Ranger Gutierrez

We have to admit that we do not feel too comfortable about the game tonight, purely based on our record all this year.

We hope we can turn the tide tonight, but we’d by lying if we said we were not very nervous about this game.

• Toon Graeme

May 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Oba Oba fey Oba Oba fey Oba Oba Fey Obafeymi Martins!!

or is it now:

Peter Lovendrandz
    Peter Lovenkrandz
    Peter Lovenkrands – signed on a free from Germany
    Peter Lovenkrandz

• Newcastle Curry Houses

May 11, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Keegan and Martins were in 1 of our Balti houses last night, from what my waiter gathered, it looks like Martins is joining some circus in the summer

• magforlife

May 11, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Good excuse for poor form, is he the mystery player who is constantly late for training and is moaning about the toughness of the new regime? It would be nice if he was champing at the bit to play but his body language hasnt been good lately and as such he is better off out of it, no room for passengers from now on in

• estechco

May 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I suspect Oba’s injury will require a more major op/recovery over the summer. The club were obviously hoping that he might have struggled through to the close season, but judging by his loss of pace in the last few weeks this hasn’t worked out.

Given our precarious situation, i think the club can be forgiven for taking this particular gamble

• Davies

May 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Ed, the reports have all said the same thing. He played through the pain without telling anybody because he wanted to do his bit. When it came out that he hadn’t told anybody how bad it was, Shearer asked him to continue to play through the pain until the end of the season. THe other choices would have been an injection, or an operation ,both of which would have kept him out for weeks. You reported this yourself, along with many other papers and websites. It’s no secret and probably explains his lack of prowess of late. I’d like to see Lovenkrands up front again too.

• Toon Graeme

May 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Lovenkrandz will give it his all. Oba looked in bad from against Pompey and looked as stiff as a board against Liverpool.

If he is no good then its probably a good thing that he be repalced.

One of the lasses from work who has been going to SJP for 40 years has just advised me that she has blown chunks with nerves for tonight.

What a picture!

Howay the lads – T minus 41 mins and Im home!

• DevonMag

May 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM

tbh I think I’d rather see lovenkrands in the squad anyway…martins is out of form and peter’s got goals in him I rekon…fighting to earn that contract for another year. I see him scoring tonight. 2-0. Duke and Loven. God I hope so anyway…

• Doocey

May 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Big big night!

• Toon Graeme

May 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Doocey – big big big big big night!

• workyticket

May 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM

magforlife // May 11, 2009 at 3:46 PM

“Good excuse for poor form, is he the mystery player who is constantly late for training and is moaning about the toughness of the new regime?”

No, he’s the player who has been playing “through the pain barrier” and and risking further damage for the team magforlife. No-one is “constantly late for training and is moaning about the toughness of the new regime”.

• Toon Graeme

May 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Workyticket – agreed – the only people going on about that are the press and the ‘club insider’.

Which as we all know is the term given for a made up bull sh*t story.

• DENIro

May 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

————————harper————————
    beye (C)——taylor———bassong———duff
    ——-geremi——–guthrie ——–gutierrez—-
    ————lovenkrands—-lua lua / ranger——-
    ————————viduka / caroll————–

Subs: krul, colo, edgar, nolan, ranger, carol, owen

• Ericles

May 11, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I think this Oba problem is why Al brought back Fettis and another team doctor. I reckon Lovenkrands in for Martins in that case. Guthrie for Butt but I do not believe in miracles.

• broon ale

May 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM

at the risk of sounding like a complete gimp i have to share with rest of you that i actually spoke with Oba on Saturday. My girlfriend and I were walking down the quayside where we live and we seen oba. (he lives at baltic quay) i asked him how his injury was to which he replied with a ond word answer, “bad”. I told i had a similar injury where it doesnt hurt during the match but tightens up for days afterwards. he said his was the same and he would get it sorted in the summer. I asked if he was staying and he didnt answer. he signed autographs for kids. no smile or any sort of reaction. i even cringe typing this out because no doubt some of you will think i am coming across as the big time charlie rubbing shoulders with oba.. quite the opposite. he made me feel as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

anyways. i will be there tonight. with my mum. its her 50th. the last game she went to was in 1979 and it was against boro in tony greens testiomonial. it finished 7-1 to newcastle. a good omen perhaps. ? lets hope so

• bowburnmag

May 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM

broon ale – you’re a big time charlie.

H’way Toon. Three hours to gan before I brick myself for a couple of hours in a sh*tty student pub.

• neblexa

May 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Im shatting my pants! god i hope some positive happens for once tonight.

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 11, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Sell him he’s useless runs around like a headless chicken & certainly isn’t a team player

• pearceet

May 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM

GCSE tomorrow but think this i slightly more important
    come on the lads

• Shanghaitoon

May 11, 2009 at 6:16 PM

To honest, I think he’s just bottled it and faking injury. I know that opinion won’t sit well with some, but since his horrible apathetic penalty attempt, I think Oba’s just been waiting to get away. Faking injury means he doesn’t need to make any effort in front of the fans. I’ve not seen hin turn up for a game for a long time now. I thought he was great when he first arrived but he never really delivered the goods that were expected of him

• boater

May 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Broon Ale…. big time charlie.

Nah.. interesting to read that lad.

Magforlife.. why do we have to hate campaigns against players? He’s injured- he may or may not be a martyr for the cause. Are you not sick of ill-will this season?? Jeeez. I want someone on the pitch who scores us a goal I don’t care if they bleed black ‘n’ white anymore and all that tosh…
    just need that quality tonight.

Hopefully Oba makes the bench – in case we need

• stjames

May 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM

“He’s reacted in a very professional way, and the way you’d expect him to. ”

Can anyone tell me what this means? Does it mean he didn’t care sh… or that he didn’t get mad like hell. Or that he didn’t get burtonian?

• Tom_Toon