Alan Shearer – Give Me Two More Wins And We’re Safe

Alan Shearer has rightly called on his team to finish the season with a flourish, and produce two more big performances against Fulham and Aston Villa to complete the great escape.

Alan Shearer and Iain Dowie celebrate Lovekrands 3rd Newcastle goal
Do you think they look happy?

After the 3-1 derby defeat of Middlesbrough at St. James’ Park last night, in a pulsating game that we haven’t seen the likes of at St. James Part for far too long, the Newcastle team put in an absolutely sparkling performance of skill, guts and glory, and when it mattered the lads were not found wanting.

But we now need to get ready for the Fulham game on Saturday afternoon, and then the final-day trip to Aston Villa, because we are still not safe yet.

Alan said after tonight’s game:

“I’ve asked for three huge performances. They’ve given me one tonight and there’s another one needed on Saturday against a very good Fulham side.”

“This was the first game of three. We asked them to go out and get three points – they’ve done that, and I thought they were magnificent in difficult circumstances.”

It could be that one more win is all we need to survive, because of our superior goal difference, and indeed if we win on Saturday and Hull lose at Bolton, that could be it.

So Alan is not getting carried away with things right now, and the next step is another very good performance against a good Fulham side this Saturday, and we need to get 3 points out of that game, if at all possible, in front of a St. James Park sellout – that’s for sure.

Alan continued:

“It will probably go down to the last game of the season because Newcastle don’t do things the easy way,”   “The club needed that win, the players needed it, we all needed it. They should enjoy being out of the bottom three and enjoy someone else being in there and hopefully we won’t be in there again and I don’t believe we will be.”

“This will give them the confidence and belief that was lacking and hopefully we can now go on to better things.” “I don’t want to sound negative but there is a long way to go. The way this season has gone I really don’t know what will be enough but at least we gave the fans something to smile about.”

“I don’t want to sound pessimistic but I have just told the players to enjoy that winning feeling in the right way and we’ll be in training tomorrow to work on a few things. We have won one game and we’ve got two to go.”  “If we win the next two we will stay up.”

“We knew it was in our own hands and what we had to do.” “I’m not so sure that we will need another six points but that will guarantee it. I don’t think this win will be enough.”

“I think we will have to get at least another win and hopefully that will come Saturday but Fulham are on a tremendous run themselves.” “That’s the first time we’ve gone behind and won. I knew we had some characters in the dressing room and it’s been shown tonight,”

“When we went 1-0 down it would have been easy for the fans to turn against us, but they backed us all the way and we gave them something to smile about.”

So we’ve put in one terrific performance last night, and we need just two more, and in all likelihood we will be be safe, after looking so ominously close to relegation, before last night’s game.

But we just cannot return to the poor form we’ve shown all year, not after tonight’s performance. It’s in our hands now – so let’s go for the jugular, starting on Saturday.

Howay The Lads!!

• Robbanufc

May 12, 2009 at 1:06 AM

That was nothing short of an amazing performance by the lads! I’ve been optimistic about us staying up the last couple of months, even though it’s looked bad at times. But now I really and truely believe!

I hope our hero still can save this season, and stay on for many more! Howay the lads! 😀

• nzedtoonman

May 12, 2009 at 1:47 AM

robbanufc , saw it in new zealand on the internet man , thought the flags were great…excellent rallying from the toon army , and good midfield passing excellent last goal corker from loveygrands

• Brutooon

May 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Owen is useless for 60+ mins….should control the ball well on the first min.

Martin = give him one min and he gave us one goal

Notice the different?

• davis_toons

May 12, 2009 at 4:13 AM

We have won it this time round. Hope Bolton
    can once again beat hull.

Looking at this statistics, Hull looks “fierce”

But i believe Bolton will once again beat Hull City.

Hull City 0 : Bolton 1,19764,11065_3003760,00.html

MOST Importantly. We must help ourselves and WIN! the match aganst against Fulham
    Remember: Again, For the TRUTH newcastle fans around the world

Please PRAY for our team Newcastle Utd to win on home soil against Fulham. OK!

Once again, I’ll be sayin my prayer in SINGAPORE.

IT will helps.

• Robbanufc

May 12, 2009 at 7:18 AM

But remember davis_toons, Bolton doesnt have anything to play for at this point. Fulham and Aston Villa do!

Bolton will most likely decide our faith this season. They have looked a decent side lately, lets hope they beat a poor one for us!

• hksarroy

May 12, 2009 at 7:24 AM

hi, i’m toon fans from hongkong, i’m roy
    nice to meet u all

if we win the next game and hull lose it
    we can almost say that we survive
    so, i hope bolton can do us a favour

• tysontoon

May 12, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Thats pretty ridiculous to say. Your basing that off of 1 game.
    Owen is still our top scorer this year. He and Martins have similar goals per minute stats, while Owen has scored something like 10 off of 35 shots to Martins 7 off of 60 some shots.

Owen and Martins are two of our best players, we need them both. What we don’t need is fans and the media trying to have them in competition between each other rather than teammates after the same goal… winning.

• beyethegreat

May 12, 2009 at 7:47 AM

i am buzzing i am chuffed to bits we won but lets not get carried away there is still a couple of games left

• Norn Iron Magpie

May 12, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Two more wins is possible. A draw and a win will be enough. Great fitness levels last night. Could have been more goals at the end. Off to work now still with a smile on my face. :-]

• sirjasontoon

May 12, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Was that the same Newcastle that I have moaned about all season?

What a result..more of the same against Fulham please,nothing short of amazing.

Proud to be a geordie!

• Toon Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Morning lads,

Victory does taste sweet doesnt it.

Never left SJP singing down the stairs like that!!

Excellent atmosphere – there was some dodgy defending at times which made the bum hole quivver but we got 3 points.

Lets bask for a day or so and NOT get carried away.

Fulham are no Borough

I could kiss Stephen Taylor for that goal and there is plenty of man love (non sexual before you all start) for Oba and Lovenkrandz 🙂

Howay the lads – proud is not the word!!

• Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM

A similar performance and 3 points against Fulham and I think we will be safe.

A win away to Villa would be an amazing way to end this season of dross and set us up for hopefully a major clear out and revamo in the summer.

Shearer (if he stays) or whoever takes on the job has a hell of a task on his hands getting rid of the hangers-on and the overpaid, underperforming primadonnas and we all know who they are!!! The whole team needs a shake up and a revamp.

• Hugh de Payen

May 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Fantastic result. I thought Viduka was on sparkling form but the whole team put in the effort and got their reward.

On the back of that I think we can beat Fulham at home (they’re good at the moment but they’ve only won 2 away).

I hope Hull lose on the weekend because I really don’t want to have to go to Villa and get points – they’ll be fighting hard for that 5th place.

• ian

May 12, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Absolutely brilliant and all down to Shearer, at last he seems to have turned the manager corner taking off his friend and putting on decent players.

I think Shearer did a better job of subbing than my choice of putting on Owen late in a match, I have a terrible feeling Owen already has a job, possibly at Everton and is trying to avoid any injury possibility, I think Owen has no pride at all and is a disgrace.

I would do the same on Sat except have Carroll on from the whistle, again let Jonas do the running then bring on the same subs again, Martins is definately carrying an injury you can see it in his movement so even though I rate him as one of our top players he needs using as a sub.

Viduka was brilliant, I wonder if he would work for £25k per week and just do the occassional appearance when needed?? Shearer should ask him, Viduka could maybe spin that out two or three years if he works on his fitness and weight.

Notice the star players for guts and determination for the club, Harper, Beye, Taylor, Butt (what effort), Lovenkrands and Martins all players with a big pride and heart for the game.

What a cool finish by Martins the more you look at that goal the more difficult it looks, superb goals by Taylor and Lovenkrands too, Lovenkrands could be the central midfielder we have been looking for next season, a Gerrard type role.

• Jamesthefirst

May 12, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Not many have mentioned it, so I thought I would shout it from the rafters….GUTHRIE WAS EXCELLENT! Turned us into a dangerous attacking force every time he went forward. Then worked his ass off to get back and make important tackles.

Always tought he was a very good prospect, just never realised how influential he could be when he’s in the mood…. 🙂

May 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM

its good to see after a good nights sleep that all this wasnt just a dream!! now let’s go on to win the next two games! we can do it lads!

• Toon Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I think Villa match will be televised on SKY as Manure will have prem and all else cemented in their positions except villa and everton. 5th place vs relegation.

I will be in Spain so will show support with beer in a bar!

• 51times

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM

James – It was nice to see some decent corners for once. Just wish we had a better freekick taker than Nicky Butt.

• Wigaz

May 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

So happy with the result! Lets just hope the lads have the confidence now to put fulham away & hopefully that will secure Prem football for next season. Thought Viduka was Class and i’m glad to see Shearer finally get some credit from the press. He & Dowie have done very well to get Viduka in shape & playing like that & they look like their having the same impact on Nolan too. Thats all hard work at training. On a sad note I think Owen is finished, Martins lit up SJP & Carroll made more positive runs in 10mins than Mo made in 60. I do think he’ll start Owen on sat as Oba could have more impact from the bench again but we’ll see. Lets do it lads! We’ll be screaming our hearts out agin on sat for you so same again please.

May 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM

For me Guthrie should take the direct freekicks. we had 10 corners and nearly every corner was perfect. It’s good to see that as Ryan taylor in all his balls never cleared the first man.

• Stuart79

May 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM

One more win will do us. I can’t see Hull beating Bolton!

Hopefull the confidence will be up and we can get a good result sat.

May 12, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Wigaz- Same team will start on sat as martins is injured or viduke and martins whould have started. Expect to see a good performance as the lads will be busy all week after this one.

• Stuart79

May 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Atmosphere was spot on last night. Everyone was really up for it.

Gotta do it all again on Sat!

• Ericles

May 12, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Agree. On Saturday start the same lot and then the same subs. It seems to work that way. Thought Taylor was great with his goal. The lad really went for it. Really meant it. Got fed up with the comments about him being from Greenwich. For sakes – the lads parents are Geordies and he grew up near Whitley bay from the age of 3 months. For example – if a Geordie couple had a baby on a boat in the Suez canal and got back to Tyneside 3 months later would you call the kid an Egyptian?

May 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM

ericles: LOL

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

May 12, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Just well gutted about Jonas, he looks knackered and carrying a knock. His running is not his normal standard and he aint tracking back which aint him.

Same starting line up but McLovin instead of Jonas. I thought Duke was head and shoulders by the best player on the park (and Kinnear was gonna leave him out for the rest of the season) but Guthrie was class even though there where a couple of A-Holes sat behind me slagging of his every touch. Wish we could rid of some of the idiot supporters.

• Toon Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM

We need the same again and I would go with the same team for Saturday.

Im not getting at Owen but he seemed always 4 paces away from the supplied ball and in the wrong place for the majority.

He did have a lovely header that went wide so you cant say he didnt do anything.

I think Shearer can attract international names to Newcastle if he remains at the helm and if we stay up mostly.

Will he get the cash though?

Only time will tell lads.

Im basking in the glory and have a spring in my step.

Everyone is talking about it – the bus, the metro, the town, work and even through work people down south on Newcastle.

• bowburnmag

May 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I thought Shearer got it spot on tactically to be honest. I questioned the 4-4-2 but Guthrie did more than a decent job wide on the right. Agree with the comments, he joined in at the right times and managed to be effective without being a typical wide player. His set-pieces were a sight to see after so many examples of poor delivery. Jonas was pretty ineffective individually but probably balanced things up as necessary. Lovenkrands might have done the same thing but appears to fair better as a super sub. Big Al has charisma in abundance so rousing the troops is probably his easiest task, given what’s at stake and 50,000+ fans going mental. Kudos for his selection and his tenacity in making big decisions on his team selection before and during games. Big balls and big performances from players who have been criticised by various quarters. I think they can be proud and deserve a massive pat on the back. I’m undecided on Owen and his mood but clearly he’s a shadow of his former self.

Everything to play for now, let’s hope this doesn’t go to waste.

• JakartaDean

May 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Loved the atmosphere, even only on TV thousands of miles away, it was electric. The flags were brilliant.

I agree with Wigaz, I think the team is more fit than they’ve been for years. I imagine Ian Dowie is responsible for that, and I hope they continue to get fitter. It made a difference last night. (BTW, wasn’t that what Sam Allardyce was supposed to be all about? They looked fitter last night than they ever did when he was in charge.)

• Rorycn

May 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

One big bonus for me was the corner. Refreshing to see a manager actually look at the footage from a previous game and implement changes. The corner was an exact copy of liverpool’s against us last week.

• Micky Toon

May 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM

I’ve said it before, Shearer this season is just like Keegan in 92. We were at the lowest we had been for years, just like now, and it took someone with only a love for the club and a lot of passion to come in and save us. It’s happening again.

However, we need to concentrate on our games and forget everyone else. Yes, Hull may not lose to Bolton, but a boring 0-0 draw would see them back above us should we not win again this season. Personally I can see us matching Hull’s results and it being down to goal difference. People say Bolton won’t try hard because they have nothing to play for. If you’ve ever played any sport at any level you’ll know yourself that you don’t want to lose any game, so Bolton will play their usual game.
    I still stand by my stance that I can take or leave the PL as I think it’s finished as a competition, but I would be gutted if we were no longer part of it.

• repo

May 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Owen needs dropping in place for Lovenkrands

• bowburnmag

May 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Micky Toon – telling it as I see it as usual. It’s an unusual notion about the ‘affiliation’ effect but it’s nonetheless there for all to see. Whether it’s something to be derided for, who knows? But Shearer has galvanised and united the players and fans like very few could. I’m the same regards relegation. I’d kind of accepted it and began to make myself look forward to new trips but truthfully I imagine the novelty would wear off quickly.
    How was your break/holiday Micky?

• Micky Toon

May 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM

bowburn – The only point I could put forward as a positive to relegation was that we would be able to re-build cheaply, using our youngsters. To rebuild in the PL would mean mega money. Also we might actually be a top team in the Championship 🙂
    I’ve said in the pas that Shearer taking over as manager would have been a mistake. All logic points to this, but since when has football been about head and not heart eh? It’s plain to see that Shearer has done something that JK would never have achieved and that is getting the fans that were wobbling back behind the team.
    I had a good break, thanks for asking. As a new dad yourself, you’ll want to spend as much time as possible with your young un. That’s all I wanted to do last week. She’s 6 months old and I’ve only spent 6 full weeks with her. The rest is a couple of hours at night and weekends.

• bowburnmag

May 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Mick – mine is actually four and a half years now. She’s a reet drama queen. Clearly gets it from her mother….
    She’s chosen the black and white half of the family to side with thankfully but still not into it although she’s a canny little player herself (of her own accord). I’ve spent loads of time with her recently. The one plus point of my recent redundancy. You can’t beat time with the offspring. But enjoy it mate, I used to think time flew when I didn’t have a kid…..

• Micky Toon

May 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Apologies bowburn, I know someone on here is a new dad and for some reason I thought it was you.
    It’s another reason I need NUFC to stay in the top flight of football. Her mothers side is all Wolves and at the moment I’m winning the battle for her to be a mag, but if Wolves somehow manage to keep going for the next five years or so I’m scare I might lose her to them. 😉

• reillers

May 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

No, it really mattered months ago, this is just desperation from the players now. We beat one of the only teams below us, (one of two) and we’re celebrating like we won the lotto and the Premiership all on the same night.
    They didn’t prove us wrong, it wasn’t a fabulous preformance. If the majority of other teams above us were playing us we probably would have lost, if it had been any of the top 4 we would have been slaughtered.

We got lucky with the subs and we could have easily lost.

I’m so happy that we won, but a little perspective for Christ sake. This was the first match in a long long time where I can say I wasn’t completley ashamed and embarased by them, so excuse me for not celebrating like we just won the CL if that’s viewed as an accomplishment.

We still have shocking players, little money and no big selling point to bring players in, I can’t see us not being in the same position come next season. One win against one of two teams who were below us, at home, doesn’t really change that and make the future seem bright.