Steven Taylor Was Massive For Newcastle Last Night

Local lad Steven Taylor, back from injury, was a massive player for Newcastle United in last night’s so important do- or-die game against Middlesbrough.

steven-taylor-scores-middlesbrough-567723141

Steven Taylor – scoring from excellent Danny Guthrie corner

Taylor told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I know I have said it before – but this for me is definitely the most important goal I have ever scored.” “It beats Everton, West Brom and Hull because it was vital we got back into it.”

“It’s by far the most important I’ve scored and I don’t think I will score a more important one in my whole career.”

The equalizer against Middlesbrough last night was a bullet header that hit the back of the net before goalkeeper Brad Jones could move, and it was another stunning goal from Steven.

In fact that’s one thing Sebastien Bassong can learn from Steven – to score some goals from corners – something Seb can work on in the summer perhaps.

Steven added:

“That’s why you go up there for corners as a center-half.” “The delivery was fantastic from Danny Guthrie and I got my head on it.”

“I felt every time we went up we could score.” “We just can’t wait for Saturday now.” “It was some night but we fully deserved it. I’m just delighted for everybody.”

“When we conceded so early I couldn’t believe it because we went for them straight away.” “We caused them problems all night.” “It was the first time this season we came back from that and we all enjoyed it.”

It was no doubt a terrific performance from the team, but we are still in danger of relegation and cannot stop there. We must  take this form and passion into the two remaining games, starting with the home game against Fulham on Saturday afternoon.

Steven continued:

“For me there were star performances all round.” “The own goal was unlucky.” “Habib said afterwards he just couldn’t get out of the way.”

“But we bounced back as a team and got back in it.” “That was what was so big about the night, we worked together.”

A win on Saturday would be just great, in fact it would be fantastic.

• Toon Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM

You could see the look of fight in taylors face all match from the whistle and once again he provided the goods for us.

Fulham done we over at craven cottage and now its time for them to step into our backyard.

Lets make them as unwelcome as possible.

One thing is for sure – we need the crowd reaction every match from now on. Not just in a relegation battle.

• Jamesthefirst

May 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

@Toon Graeme – To play Devil’s Advocate would Ferdinand and Vidic have allowed that Middlesbrough striker to get in behind them as many times as Taylor and Bassong did?

🙂

• sahota

May 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM

@Toom Graeme

You are right crowd now should learn what they can do if they support the team in good and bad time. Just cheer your team , give then encouragement. I know its easy to say but difficult to do it even if you are losing. I think for time being crowd should create same environment as they did in last 2 games. We should again go all out against Fulham and try to get an early goal within first 15-20 minutes that would set the tone right for remaining time of match.

Howay the lads !

• Geordie-Gerrard7

May 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM

heis without doubt a class act, yes he make’s the odd mistake, but who doesnt?

bassong——taylor could be our cb partnership for many years to come, as long as we stay up. next year id love to see these ins and outs.

Out-
    OWEN replacement Bent
    Collocini replacement Dirk Marcellis
    Most of the midfield except, Jonas, duff, guthrie, nolan.

Bring in young talent such as collison, Diego Bounatte, Witsell, Defour, Delph, Naughton, Ledley,Kightley, Beevers, and a few more, any of them names would be fantastic, i really think we need a clean and and start again, and spend roughly 30 million.

20 mill from ashley the rest from transfers would be welcome, im beaming today. smile from ear to ear, i have never in my life been so proud to be a geordie, we still have work to do as a team, but when i say im a proud geordie, i mean to think of the support we give the lads last night.

INCREDIBLE. Thanks to all the lads that made the game last night, cheered the lads on and the team delivred for the greatest fans in the world

• Toon Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

James – ‘the goods’ being the equaliser.

Ive said since last night that our defense was ropey and that they were hesitant and cuased themselves problems whcih could have lead to more goals by borough.

• Jamesthefirst

May 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Right now, this would be my first 11 for next season with question marks where we need better players

—————————–???———————-
    –BEYE—–TAYLOR—-BASSONG—-ENRIQUE
    –???——–???————–???————-???
    ————MARTINS————-???—————

Subs: Harper, Guthrie, Butt, Lua Lua, Kadar, Lovencrans

• Toon Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM

The ressies are in action at SJP tonight.

I cant make it but wish them the best of luck in retaining the title.

We got the big daddy of Premiershhip ref’s on Saturday – Mr Howard Webb. A useful fact for you all.

• Johno Toon

May 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

do think harper needs to replaced alright Jamesthefirst , that shot he spilled from emmes was a big worry for me , havent we been linked with ben foster on loan? tho i dont see why krul gets a chance ,

Midfield id be happy with nolan if he gets into shape and a younger defensive midfielder to replace butt ,

Dunno about the wings

Up front id go for darren bent and if reading dont go up kevin doyle

• Toon Graeme

May 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Trust me – if shearer stays – he will get us new blood!

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Steven Taylor will mark my words one day play for & maybe even captain England

• Jamesthefirst

May 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM

@Johno Toon – yes according to the Man Utd press and their blog sites Newcastle have struck a deal to take Foster on loan next season provided we stay up. No idea if it is true, and haven’t seen these blogs myself — just know alot of Man Utd fans and they told me about it.

I always felt sorry for Harper being here so long and never given a chance when GIVEN was here. Now I can see why….he is simply not good enough. He doesn’t command the box at all, and never seems to come for the ball when he should.

• chuck

May 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Have to admit Taylors goal was spectacular, but lets not get carried away, it was two poor teams playing @90mph. and at times resembled a “pin ball” game.
    We are not safe yet , though the 3 goals certainly helped the average and niether Villa or Fulham are pushovers.
    I believe we could squeeze by with a couple of draws, one win could seal it as Hull will not beat
    Man. U., not even their second 11.
    Hope Mr. Ashley has learned from this experience, enough to realize even the Arsenals and Man. U`s. still need to spend big.
    There`s no free ride.

• harry861

May 12, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Re Geordie-Gerrard7, Players I would keep of first 11 of this season that have played

Beya, S.Taylor,Bassong -Enrique
    Guthrie,Nolan, Duff,
    Martin, Viduka, Carroll ,Loevokrands.
    Butt has extra one year contract & at least he’s a battler & gives 100%

I have said before that Jonas flaters to deceive
    no end product I would let him go
    The replacements made the difference last night
    Martin less than 60 seconds & Loevokrands.
    scored goals.

The worst decisions this season apart from too many managers & some of the garbage they have brought in. Is playing the likes of Shola, Smith, Collocini ,

• Michael12

May 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Are they making good use of Steven Taylor? I question this because he is comfortable in the oppositions’ box and has the heading instinct of a striker.

He scores goals and is still young enough to perhaps consider a more advanced role. Perhaps an attacking mid who has the habit of manifesting in the box. He has an instinct of being in the right places at the right time and that is a player attribute in this modern game sought after next to pace.

His goal last night was the perfect headed goal. He attacked it, applied both direction and power to the ball which is no easy task.

I think he is wasted in defence and should be moved up the park.

• Rodzilla

May 12, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Michael12

He started off as a centre forward and got switched to defence early on. I suggested this a few months ago when we were in dire need of a striker (think all we had was a half-injured Shola) that we stick him upfront for a game and see what he could do. That was out of sheer desperation on my part though. I reckon CB is his position – all world class CBs score headers from corners. Admittedly he scored that stunner with his foot (against Hull?) a few moths back.

….good point though.

• Rodzilla

May 12, 2009 at 8:29 PM

*months

• Tom_Toon

May 13, 2009 at 1:41 AM

#

• JJJ

May 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Toon Graeme

You cant really compare Taylor and Bassong to Rio and Vidic…
    Firstly I’ll answer the question… would they have allowed the Borough striker in behind them thatmany times…. Answer… NO!
    Butwould they have at the ages of 23 and 22? YES! Rio made loads of errors at that age.
    And secondly… Rio and Vidic have a far far superior midfield in front of them which means they are under far less pressure and less likely to b subject into forced errors.

I think Taylor and Bassong have the potential to become absoulutely world class centre backs within the next two years.

Rio has only stopped the errors about the age of 26/27.

Ps. Tom Toon,

You were a massive critic of Taylor, but you have to admit, the boy looks like he will be a big assett?

• Tom_Toon

May 13, 2009 at 1:50 PM

He’s ok and passionate. Nothing more.

He’s no Bassong.