Steve Harper Ready For Any Last Gasp Efforts

Steve Harper has said today that if Newcastle need a goal in the last few minutes of either of the last two games, he is all ready to move up-field for corners in the dying seconds to try to help the Newcastle lads score.

steve-harper-_130311

Steve Harper – a decent outfield player

We just couldn’t stand it if Steve went up on Saturday and scored a header from a corner to win the game – wouldn’t that be something, but we’d never hear the last of  it from the Easington-born goalkeeper. 😀

Harper was deployed as an emergency center forward during a pre-season friendly against Celtic recently, and he looked more than decent with his attacking prowess, heading ability  and good hold-up play.

Steve Harper said today:

“I fancy my chances as a bit of a centre-forward,” “I’ve played up front once before in a pre-season friendly so I’ve got a bit of experience.”

“But if the situation arises, which I hope it doesn’t, I won’t need any encouraging in going up!”

And it seems like Alan Shearer, who shared a hotel room with Steve on Newcastle’s away trips, and is still a close friend, agrees that Steve is indeed a decent outfield player.

Alan Shearer added:

“I hope it doesn’t come to that but Harps keeps on telling me he’s a good outfield player so I’ll have every confidence in him!”

We have to hope that the lads have some goals in them on Saturday, and the perfect game would be if we could get a couple of goals ahead and see out the game, although still attacking to get as many goals as we can.

We’re due some goals from Mark Viduka and Michael Owen, so we need to produce another display like Monday night, and that could get us the win.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

May 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

He use to do alright at St Bede’s, but you never know. hope it dont come to that

• BT9MAG

May 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Didn’t Harper start out as a striker before moving into the GK role?

Our most prolific striker (when it comes to chances and goals) is probably Stevie Taylor, so why not got Harps in on the action aswell?

• Whumpie

May 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Ironic that Shearer started as a goalie then switched to striker…

• Whumpie

May 14, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I thought Harps pulled some fantastic saves on Monday. I still think that if we stay up, he’ll be in contention for the World Cup squad next year.

Ok, I’m biased, but if you ignore recent form when none of our squad has had any confidence, can anyone really name 3 English goalies who are demonstrably better than Harps?

• bowburnmag

May 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

In my humble experience, at all levels, all keepers think they can play outfield. It’s part of their personality, i.e. they’re a bit mental.

I think the game will be out of reach either way by that stage. Unless of course, he means just generally. He doesn’t say at what stage he’d be prepared to go up. Ed seems to have just filled the gaps. Could be a bit worrying.

• BT9MAG

May 14, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Whumpie – I’ve been saying for years that if Given wasn’t our number one, Harper would be an England international!

I get really irritated by people saying he isn’t good enough or that we should play Krul on the back of that Parlermo game…Harper is a quality keeper who is (as with every other Newcastle keeper) let down by his defence! There has been very few goals this season which he has been accountable for or that any other keeper would have done better on…

His distribution is his weakest attribute IMO and that is probably the least important attribute in a goalkeeper!

• shearerbliss

May 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Could not agree more Harper is quality. About 6 months back I put a bet on he will be starting in the next world cup as england keeper and got quoted 66-1 by paddy power. I sudgest you lot get on. Got to be worth a few quid!

• boater

May 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I agree with yees lot on Harper… people forget he was in the roeder side that climbed 7 places into the uefa spots as well as in Keegan’s late push team last season. Hand on heart… I s**t you not.. given the choice between shay and Harps for the last two games I would take wor steve.

• Rodzilla

May 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM

…nice one shearerbliss, hopefully we’ll stay up and he’ll have a blinder next year. Good Luck mate!

(I hope you stuck at least 20 quid on it!)

• shearerbliss

May 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Not that much rodzilla but I will be back to put more on before the end of he season! 😀