Big Atmosphere Tomorrow Is Up To The Players – Beye

It’s just a little strange that lots of our players have come out this week (Nolan, Guthrie, Harper …)  and said what needs to be done tomorrow – this morning it’s the great Habib Beye – but where is our captain, Michael Owen,  in all of this?

Habib Beye – would make a great captain for Shearer

We seem to have heard precious little from Michael about the situation, so it seems odd that the captain is not more vocal about what Newcastle need to achieve in their last last two vital games of the season.

Michael Owen is not the type of captain we like to see at Newcastle, but we all know he’s doing his best for the club, we know that, and we would also hope he can break his duck, and get some goals in tomorrow’s game.

If Michael scores we think you will find a relieved and happy play out there. Given the way Habib Beye has handled the situation in the last several weeks he would make a great captain, but we’ll have to see what happens to Michael Owen this summer. Michael will want to play under Alan, if Newcastle can survive.

Habib Beye believes we need the same atmosphere at St. James’ Park tomorrow we have on Monday, but Beye is right when he says that atmosphere must be generated by thye players.

Beye said:

“If we want to have that sort of atmosphere every week in St James’s Park it is down to us to do our best to inspire this sort of crowd,”

“They have waited to see the team play the way we did on Monday, and the atmosphere was just amazing. Since I came here two years ago it’s the best atmosphere I’ve seen.”

“The fans are always behind us but if we want this quality of atmosphere all the time, and this type of game, then it’s up to us.”

“It won’t be easy, we need to work very hard to win the game. If we win we will go to (Aston) Villa with confidence. If we don’t get a result, if we don’t get any points, there will be more pressure at Villa, and it’s never easy to play them with pressure.”

“Hull will be doing everything to win (at Bolton, also tomorrow), and save their place in the Premier League but we can’t wait on them to lose. If we win our games we will be safe. Winning on Monday was so important because it was the first time we went above Hull, with the goal difference. It was massive for us to get out of the bottom three.”

Habib is so right, because the crowd sensed the lads were really ready for the fight on Monday, and even after the own goal it was obvious they were still going for it.   Just think about tomorrow, we may even score first, and if that happens watch the lads try to bury Fulham with all out attacking football, to lift the pressure on both them and the fans.

It was a really unfortunate own goal, just one of those things really, and it was the first away goal Middlesbrough have scored all this year – they have been that bad away from home.

Habib though is clear Newcastle’s work this season is far from over:

“When the own goal went in I just thought ‘Well sometimes this happens’,” “I’m 31, I’m not a young kid. When I scored an own goal at the start of my career it was really hard, I was 21. Now I’m 31 I know the game is never over and I can’t do anything about an own goal once it’s gone in.”

“You can’t be sorry for yourself after four minutes, and not play any more. Straight away I knew we had to go forward and try and get our confidence back. I didn’t think about the (own) goal for the rest of the game. It was really unlucky but I just said ‘We must come back, keep playing and win the game’.”

“I knew with the quality and the spirit we have we could do that. I don’t want to say it helped us, but when you get a setback like that it makes you come out and try to make it right.”

“We started the game really badly, giving Middlesbrough a goal. But because we kept pushing and pressing them we scored after nine minutes, and then went on to win the game.”

“But it’s not enough, it’s not the end of our season.” “We have six points to go for before then and I hope and believe we can get them.”

We noticed within a minute or so of the own goal Habib getting the ball and charging up the wing, and we thought he’s going to play even harder after the goal. Habib’s a good experienced player, and has a terrific fighting attitude, and that’s why the fans love him on Tynesdie.

You know, he’d make a terrific captain for the club.

• Mags

May 15, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Agree 100% ED, Beye would be the perfect choice as captain next season.

As to the match on Saturday, this is going to be a much much tougher proposition than Monday when both teams just had to go all out for a win. Fulham are a solid outfit and in my view will play more defensively and try to hit us on the break. This is such an important game, already I am feeling nervous.

Don’t forget your flags lads, my voice should just about have recovered come Saturday.

Howay the Lads.

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

May 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Owen has never been the kind of player to come out doing rallying cries and stuff. He leads by example. Perhaps that is why the other strikers havent been scoring too! 😀 On a more serious note i would like Beye to be given the captaincy as he is everything a good captain should be. Good leader, isnt scared to tell people what they should be doing and is experienced.

• cicero

May 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Where IS our captain, Michael Owen? Disappearing on the pitch and nowhere to be seen of it. He’s been quick to slam reports about his retirement from the game and instructed his lawyers to take action against anyone “damaging to his professional reputation”; sorry Michael your doing a good job of this yourself. He’s also “remains as committed to his football career as he ever has been” what about his commitment to NUFC. He looks like someone just waiting for the end of the season.

• BT9MAG

May 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

so far beye is the only player to say the team should generate an atmosphere with their performance…Mallardyce’s only saving grace – quality player!

• Toon Graeme

May 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I know MO has his critics – but still gets the loudest cheer when his name is read out by lockwood before kickoff!

Mags – hope you loose your voice again. I paln on it.

About 40 mins in during the redition of ‘we love newcastle’ my voice went and a switft half time cuppa brew helped it recover for the second half. Tuesday I sounded like Philis from Coronation street and it was as sore as hell – worth it though.

Again I echo the calls for our supporters to let rip on Fulham – when their goalie comes out and when there team come out and whenever they touch the ball.

Sing ya hearts out and stay in your seat til full time.

Yes – I know of 3 people who sit near me who left after 4 mins (own goal). Idiots.

• beyethegreat

May 15, 2009 at 11:21 AM

• Hugh Jorgan

May 15, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Got to agree with Ed.
    Habib Beye would make a terrific captain,

• tdt

May 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Subs: Krul, Edgar, Butt, Geremi, LuaLua, Carroll, Owen.

What do you guys think?

• Mags

May 15, 2009 at 11:37 AM

No worries there Toon Graeme, no voice again come 5pm on Saturday.

I agree with you too, bring your flags and stay in your seat until the end and support the lads – it is your duty.

I was trying to answer the phone on Sunday and nothing would come out just a husky whisper. They hung up on me!!! Ha Ha Ha,

• Toon Graeme

May 15, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Beye the great – agree mate. Just read it.

• Jamesthefirst

May 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM

• Mags

May 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Just seen that Enrique is out, could have done with him being fit for this match.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

May 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM

if we stay up this season, we should next season make an atmosphere every single game, we should make st james park a fortress once again.

i have heard one of our serious targets is kevin davies this summer, and we are pursuing alot of young talent.

im up in toon today, its nans funeral, got a few hours yet, then on the piss afterwards, then at the game tommorow, i really cant wait, im determined we will win tommorow, as my nan was one of shearers biggest fans, she was a big toon fan

• Geordie-Gerrard7

May 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM

why is anyone bother putting who the want to start?

it will be the same starting 11, and oba and loven will be coming on as impact players, were i believe they will be most usefull to us

• tdt

May 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM

it would be a first for shearer to play the same team again, a nice change not 2 have 2 change through injury/suspension. Dont you think he’ll start with oba if he’s fit enough, as he looked way better than owen on monday night.

May 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM

oba still aint fit

• pk08

May 15, 2009 at 1:46 PM

im abit concerned that the players are saying ‘thats how we should have played all season’, i’m not sure it was, it had a lot of heart, and viduka duff and guthrie had blinders but going backwards we looked horrible again, bassong even looked wobbly, emnes tore us to shreds. against a team with more clinical finishers they;dve been out of sight in the first half. it worries me alot, fulham are not a bad team by any means, we have to keep improving from the middlesborough game or we;ll be in for a big shock.

• komfort

May 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM

emnes tore us to shreds ??? a musta been to a different game…or it could ave been al that broon a guzzled..

thinks al de a batty..