Newcastle Survival Watch – WBA Relegated – Two To Go

We’re looking for any good news we can find today, and Liverpool have just put on another solid display to beat West Brom 2-0, at the Hawthorns.

Steven Gerrard – scored first Liverpool goal

This  means that WBA, the only team Newcastle have achieved the double over this season, will definitely go down.

The final two places are between Middlesbrough, Hull, Newcastle – and Sunderland.

A number of our readers, apart from complaining about the adverts on the site, have pointed out that our “friends” down at Sunderland, could still be relegated.

In short the way they could go down is that both Hull and Newcastle win next Sunday – and Sunderland lose their last two games, or even just get a single point from their last two games. That’s very unlikely – but possible nevertheless.

Sunderland are on 36 points, two points more than Newcastle, and they have to play Portsmouth away tomorrow night, and their last game next Sunday is against Chelsea at The Stadium of Light. We need them to lose tomorrow although even a draw would still make the Sunderland relegation scenario possible.

For Newcastle to catch Sunderland of course, we would need to beat Aston Villa, and that doesn’t look too likely, especially after the lads failed so badly with the big big chance yesterday at home, in front of a packed St. James’ Park. Certainly the fans have done their bit this season – it’s a pity our players haven’t.

The rather interesting case comes if Sunderland get a point from their last two games and Newcastle beast Villa. Then we’ll be level on points on 37.

The goal differences would be almost identical, but Sunderland have a goal difference of -17, so a defeat would take it to at least -18. Newcastle’s goal difference is now  -18, but a win would make it at least -17  and wed be ahead of Sunderland on goal difference = what a squeaker that would be.

If the goal difference ends up identical with Sunderland – we’ve scored 40 goals to Sunderland’s 31 goals – so we would still edge them out. If Sunderland can get no better than one point in their final 2 games, and as long as we beat Villa, we stay up.

That corrects what we were saying earlier today, that if we beat Villa but Hull also manage to beat Manchester United, we’ll still stay go down.

The best chance we have is for Manchester United to beat Hull City and we can somehow get a draw at Villa – somehow – anyhow!.

However our failure to get at least one point yesterday has put us in a serious position. If we had a draw yesterday we could have just relied on Hull City to get walloped by the Red Devils and we’d stay up even if we lost by as many as 6 goals  at Villa next Sunday.

But now we must at least draw with Villa, otherwise we’re down.

• Toon_Factor

May 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I would love it to plan out like this>>> Sunderland loose to Pompey and also against Chelsea, Newcastle and Hull both win next week and Boro loose/draw/win, and Boro and Sunderland go down with West Brom 😉

Watching the Chelsea match and Florent Malouda is a prime example of why foreigners need time to settle- Maybe it will work out for Colo and Jonas, this is if we survive.

• Spitfire

May 17, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Lets just give up. We are down.

• Big Dave

May 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Ed as you say (what a squeaker that would be) and Ed hope I catch you just to say thanks for everything you have done over the last couple of years, and you will sorely be missed. My Wife often says that i spent more time reading the blog than what i spent with her lol.
    Thanks ED

• serene0380

May 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Newcastle will NOT be relegated.
    I have faith in you guys!!!

Don’t disappoint your fans. YOU CAN MAKE IT.

Fr Singapore
    Let’s say a little prayer for Newcastle.

• Big Dave

May 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Toon_Factor I know we all go on about our players being sh*te etc when we have just lost a game or so on, but I have said all season we could make this team with the same players into a good team i honestly cant blame them for being so dejected etc with what has been going on all season it must effect the players, so given time to settle under big Al i think with a couple of decent signings in mid to replace milner and zog and we would be ok

• toonoholic

May 17, 2009 at 4:33 PM

lol ED. truly priceless. PS: i love the russian beauty ad lol

• Spitfire

May 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Big Dave
    Love your optimism but I can’t see what evidence you are basing your opinion on. This is a team of losers. No pace no, no creativity, little resolve, little commitment and less fortitude. How can this bunch be made into a good team?

• Toon_Factor

May 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Big Dave

“but I have said all season we could make this team with the same players into a good team”

Not entirely sure about that but we do need some additions mainly in midfield and if we do mange to stay up I really wouldnt mind to see some of these players,

Leto, Eagles, Bougherra, Gamst pederson etc come in and also give people like Edgar and Lualua more of a chance

• Widowmaker

May 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Spitfire, I agree with you that most of our players are not good enough but lets not give up just yet. Cos we are toon army.

• Brazilian Geordie

May 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Spot on, Ed. You fully epitomized our current situation. Great post.

• toooooonfan

May 17, 2009 at 5:01 PM

these adverts are so annoying they pop up meaning you have to wait,skip the add and then load up the page all over again

if hull draw we are down i cant see us beating villa

• ObaFan2

May 17, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Our best game of the season (in my opinion) was against Villa, so lets hope they are just one of those teams we beat more lose 🙂

Gonna be a bad day next Sunday… nerves and all and even considering not watching the match 🙁

Thanks Ashley for that!

• tdt

May 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM

hull r not going 2 get a draw from man u.

A toon draw will be enough imo.

If r defence can be solid – unlike when fulham scored their goal – and the strikers put a major shift in, we can do it.

Villa have nothing 2 play 4, we r playing 4 r lives. Neutralise their wingers, hope barry aint playing again, use the power of viduka and the pace of martins 2 open them up.

Keep the faith, its nowhere near over yet.

• Pons Aelius

May 17, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I’m normally one of the perpetual optimists that come on the blog and try to keep hopes up but I’ve got to be honest here and say I think it’s game over. Villa are more than a match for us and I expect to lose 2-0 or more.

I expect Man United to trounce Hull but you never know in football!

My heart says we can do it.

But my head says we’re in the fizzy pop league next season.

• Rodzilla

May 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Let’s look at sheet realistically here. Hull won’t get anything against manure’s reserve side, and SAF hinted that’s what’s happening on the 24th in his post-match interviews yesterday.

The dorty mackems are unlikely to get a win at Pompey tomorrow, and moreso against the formidable Chelsea.

Villa have never been much of a threat for us, we WERE on a par with our ‘not quite a big team’ tags. I’ve said it for a while and I still reckon points at Villa Park are more likely than home to Fulham; but they need a win, like ourselves.

It ain’t over yet, but I’ve got first refusal on a front row ticket for Michelle McManus, with all the coke I can drink. In the words of the fat lady…

“All this time, when everyone else said I was wrong,
    You gave me a reason to be strong,
    You gave me the will to carry on”

…toooooonfan, use Firefox and install adblocker. Explorer is w@nk.

• Rodzilla

May 17, 2009 at 5:55 PM

….mackems down.

• Rodzilla

May 17, 2009 at 5:57 PM

….would be nice. It’ll be Hull though. Mi best mate is a Villa fan, and I’ve told him I ain’t watching the game with him if it’s televised. There’d be blood, sweat and tears. We can beat Villa. COME ARN!!!!!

• Doocey

May 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I’ve a feeling we’ll beat Villa on Sunday
    I didn’t think we’d beat Fulham but I expected us to score ( Viduka).

If United do play their reserve team they should still scrape a victory I think, they nearly beat Everton in the FA Cup Semi Final and should have even more of a chance considering they’re under no pressure whatsoever!!!

Here’s hoping.

I’m keeping quietly confident that we’ll be happy this time next week 😉

• nufcc

May 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM

its nt as bad as it looks. Two things. Hull is a worse position than us, scums could be in a worse situation than us after saturday so we might not get relegated its a 50-50 shot. And if we do get relegated its not the end of the world. Keep supporting the team and remember this is what makes football the best sport in the world. keep the faith

• Rodzilla

May 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM

..nice to see the confidence, Deuce. 🙂

• nufcc

May 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Also if n e of you thinks manure have nothing to play for then ur wrong. Their resereves will want to give fergie something to think about before the summer so they will put out a decent fight. and like duccey said they almost beat everton.

• Rodzilla

May 17, 2009 at 7:56 PM

…Hull have the proverbial cat in hell’s chance, as do the filth. We need a win

• woodsee

May 17, 2009 at 7:59 PM

hello everyone new postee here,keep the faith up or down,never forget the one thing that makes our club special and other clubs green with envy is the fans

• NicoGF

May 18, 2009 at 12:41 AM

You all forget that Villa are placed 6 in the PL. Strong enough to beat NU. We need Nacho to grab the 3 points. Otherwise we will lose (like we almost always did thoughout the whole season). < we must not forget that!

I need 1 more fan to reach 50 😉

• Premiership Manager

May 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I usually love watching the relegation battle but not this year as it could be a nightmare.

Villa weren’t so clever against Borough, however they were away and Borough were really giving it their all.

I’m not sure how things will pan out at the weekend, however Guthrie has to play for 90 minutes. It’s no time for favourites or old mates as Shearer has to play a team that can proguce the goods.

Regardless of the outcome fi Shearer stays on he has to put a business head on at look at the team with a view of moving it forward.

All this talk of offering Viduka and Owen new contracts should be put to rest. Put simply they do not offer value for money and if I was a player i would resent playing with them on their over inflated wages for no end product. In short from a business perspective they need to go as their combined wage would pay the wages of four up and coming very good players.

Viduka, Owen, Geremy, Smith and Cacapa should all go and then we need to rebuild. Also if sensible bids came in for Colo and Guterez I’d let them go to.

Players to look at would be Tuncay Sanli, Jo, Kranjkar, Richardson, Johnson, a world class centre back and a good left footed utility defender, 9somebody who can play LB or CB)

• Tom_Toon