Dowie – Don’t Assume Shearer Is Staying At Newcastle

Newcastle’s Assistant manager Iain Dowie has warned Newcastle supporters not to presume that Alan Shearer is definitely taking over in the long-term come the summer.

Ian Dowie –  go and get fit  for Sunday!

It has been widely reported that Shearer is set to agree a permanent deal to become Newcastle’s new manager, and we were even led to believe that deal would have been announced earlier this week,  if the lads had won against Fulham.

Alan himself continues to bat away questions about his long-term future while the relegation dispute is yet to be resolved.

Some have read his apparent long-term planning, which has included an overhaul of the disciplinary system, to be a sign that he is in it for the duration.

However, Dowie does not feel that is certain to be the case. Both of their contracts run out on Monday.

Iain told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“I have said from the first minute we got here that we have taken decisions that are right from the long-term of this football club, and I think maybe that has been perceived as we’re staying for the long-term but I don’t think that’s the case,”

“Alan came to me and said ‘It’s an eight-week job.” “As far as I’m aware that eight weeks ends on Monday, nothing’s changed – although it will be a matter for Alan to sit down and talk about it if that’s what he wants to do.”

“All our focus is on Sunday and keeping the club in the Premier League.” “We will be very, very positive against a very, very strong Villa side. We have got to make sure we go there well organised and with the right attitude to try and get something.”

“There is nothing we can do to affect other teams. But I believe that if we win we will stay up – I really do. We have got to take care of ourselves and our own result first. It’s very, very important that we do that.”

This seems almost a veiled communication from Iain that if Newcastle go down Alan will not stay. But Ian should know what’s happening so we have to listen carefully to what he says.

There again if Ashley is going to sell the first team squad, and all the things we heard yesterday, it sounded like Leeds United all over, and  Alan will not want to be part of that. Shearer’s goal will be to keep a decent team that can bring the club straight back up. We have to assume that a deep conversation with Ashely, if we do go down, will result in Shearer becoming our long term manager.

We just cannot believe that Joe Kinnear would be brought back, but if Alan turns down the deal, or is not offered one, maybe that’s the club’s back-up plan.

The hiring of Shearer would at least help to balance the devastation that will be felt on Tyneside, and indeed all around the world by the many dedicated Newcastle fans, who can now follow the team on TV for every game almost. That will not be true if Newcastle get relegated.

We should add there are a lot more Newcastle fans spread around the world, than some local Newcastle fans may realize. Newcastle are a very  popular football club. You just have to see where some of our readers are form, and we get notes all the time from readers in Australia, Uruguay, Singapore, Sweden, Russia and many other countriespread all over the place. And they are usually just as daft about the club, as the rest of us. 😀

Either the readers are diplaced Geordies, like ourselves, or they have picked up on Newcastle during the Keegan or Robson eras, or after seeing them play on TV – for instance the Middlesbrough game where the players were phenomenal, would have picked up quite a few new Newcastle fans.

In fact this site was set up mainly for those fans, because we know what TV games will be broadcast outside of England, and we put up the video on Monday if we didn’t get the game or it was not live. But going down to the Championship will make it very difficult to follow the side from afar. There again Newcastle United in the Championship may be like Manchester United in the Premier League – maybe.

There are some Championship games shown world-wide, but not many.

We will be more than over the moon on Sunday night if we can survive, but the big doubt is the lads have to get at least a point to do that, and that has to be difficult at Villa Park, since the Martin O’Neill team seems so much better than we are this season.

• SpartanChris

May 20, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Shearer will only stay if he is in total control and has a bit of cash to spend. If not he will be a lameduck manager treading water until a new owner comes in.

• Stuart79

May 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM

He won’t be staying as long as that prick Ashley owns the club!

• reetpetite

May 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM

The man u team to face hull on sunday looked strong in the sun this morning. Fletcher is there only recognised player. Hull will be to strong and desperate to slip up at home. 3 points for hull and premiership football for them next season. Really pleased for them. They were tipped to finish with the lowest points total of all time and in the end they finished above the world famous newcastle. Fairy tale stuff eh!

• Toon Graeme

May 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Regardless if Shearer signs up I will renew my season ticket. I expect a letter on Tuesday morning.

One thing is for sure there will be a MASSIVE backlash against Ashley, Llambias and the players if we go down- call it a strongly rooted feeling or sheer speculation if you prefer.

Llambias was quoted in saying that they have plan if we go down – aye strangely enough he said the we will finish on 40+ points.

Ok you can See MO (yawn), Viduka, Barton and Smith going immediately in the xfer window. Cacapa and Geremi too.

However that means that in effect you will have to buy in replacements (good ones) to fill the void of an already depleted injury prone squad. Christ if they didnt fill the team in x amount of x-fer windows what makes you think he will do it now and who will choose those players.

There must be plans afoot – scouts must have done work on both prem and championship players – if not at this stage – that concerns me and will prove what an absolute shower of Sh*te we have running the club – as if we didnt know already.

• HarryWorth

May 20, 2009 at 12:46 PM

People will not tolerate another manager being appointed to run the club on a shoestring .

The ground will be more than half empty next season if this happens.

• Johno Toon

May 20, 2009 at 12:53 PM

If Shearer goes if we go down get in Steve Coppell

• Toon Graeme

May 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Johno – just to chuck a name in – Alan Curbishly.

I know nowt about managers so dont slag of me suggestion.

• Jamesthefirst

May 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

If Shearer walks (and who can blame him) then the job will be given to DOWIE.

Heard a lot of people say that Dowie was brought in as number 2 in case we went down, so that he could take over and Shearer would go back to the BBC.

• Johno Toon

May 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM

wouldnt be a bad shout either graeme!

If shearer does go plenty of good managers out there

• Jamesthefirst

May 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Aparently BEYE is a huge doubt for Sunday, and hasn’t trained yet.

With both him and BASSONG missing expect RYAN TAYLOR and COLOCCINI to be brought in…..which practically seals our fate

• Prince Bassong

May 20, 2009 at 1:06 PM

What’s not going to help is getting rid of promising youngsters particularly those who could do a very good job for us if we get relegated?

Doninger, Godsmark and Marwood are all to be released at the end of the season.

Do they think we have an abundance of goalscoring midfielders and pacy wingers?

And they are Geordies, something which was said would be a focus for youth development. Yet another thing that has proven to be a load of “Turkish Delight”!

I am now just waiting for a Chas ‘n’ Dave tribute act to be brought in as matchday entertainment.

• workyticket

May 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Ed, what made you casually presume that Alan Shearer was a liar in the first place? Personally, I prefer to assume that he has some integrity, and that he wouldn’t lie about his intentions at the club. Looks like I was right.

• Stuart79

May 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM

If Shearer doesn’t stay I would get Tony Mowbray

• Nick D

May 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Sad if Shearer doesn’t hang around but not necessarily the end of the world. It was only you Ed who kept saying you thought he was staying with nothing concrete to support that theory.

I think we would need to bring in a manager who could work with young players and develop them. Di Matteo or Martinez are the obvious choices.

I don’t think we should always be looking to buy people in, but rather try and develop some very good youngsters who will walk away if they are not given a chance and replaced by more journeymen like Nolan etc.

Persoanlly I’d love to see all the has nbeens move on and start with a good young manager and give the likes of Krul, Lua, Kadar, Ranger, Vuksic et al given their head.

• Rodzilla

May 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I may be contradicting myself from previous posts here, where I was convinced Al was staying for good, but I now think he may well stay if we stay up, and if we go down he’ll be off leaving Dowie at the helm.

Having been once bitten in the past with the KK puppet dangling by MA, I’m starting to think Shearer may just be there as a figurehead (as well as for man management, and confidence boosting) – with Dowie really pulling the strings on tactics and team selection.

Whatever happens, Shearer’s a TOON fan too, and if he stays at least we all know his terms will be absolutely nailed and spot-on – which has got to be great news for us fans.

…anyway, b0llocks, I’m tired with speculating, man this week is fkn dragging – I feel like a dog that’s waiting to be put down.

….er, toon….. toon!?

• Nick D

May 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Johno toon please god no to Coppell he makes Allardyce look like watching brazil !

• workyticket

May 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Rodzilla // May 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM

“…and if we go down he’ll be off leaving Dowie at the helm.”

Divven’t write that Rod. Divven’t even think it man! I’m off to buy a few metres of strong rope now.

• workyticket

May 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Just in case.

• geordie deb

May 20, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Afternoon Guys
    Just got back home off the old red eye from west coast USA, so body clock has gone haywire as only there a few days. Can’t believe we still have 4 more days to go before we know our fate, certainly going to be nail biting stuff!
    Just read that piece from Dowie and he would hardly announce that AS was staying as I’m sure the club and Shearer would want to announce it at the right time. I haven’t read anything into what he is saying as he is clearly keeping schtum.
    Does seem that he is trying to talk himself up a bit though

• LondonToon09

May 20, 2009 at 2:07 PM

have yet to hear ANYTHING from Kinnear since Shearer took charge… not even a mention about his health. I don’t see how he can come back. He’ll know everyone wants Shearer to stay.

Is anyone else worried about the financial state of the club if we go down. I think Shearer is one of the level headed men in football, so I wonder how desperate the state of the club could be if relegated, for Shearer to accept the job with 8 tough games left…

I have every part of my body crossed for Sunday, and let me tell you pissing is becoming messy…

• Shanghaitoon

May 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM

To be perfectly honest, I don’t care if Shearer stays or goes, I don’t care if owen plays, or goes, I don’t care about hull, scum, smoggies, What I care about is 3 points agains Villa. Thats the only thing we really really need right now. Everything else can wait!

• Nick D

May 20, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Geordie deb – nice trip, which part were you in?

• AndyT

May 20, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Shanghaitoon, i’m right with you. I don’t even want the thought of Shearer not sticking around to be in my mind at all. All we need to be devoting ourselves to right now is 3 points against Villa. Our best performance of the season NEEDS to show up on Sunday.

• Zangwill_Ho

May 20, 2009 at 4:27 PM

nevermind then

• korn8

May 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM

“You just have to see where some of our readers are form, and we get notes all the time from readers in Australia, Uruguay, Singapore, Sweden, Russia and many other countriespread all over the place. And they are usually just as daft about the club, as the rest of us. 😀 ”

NORWAY!!! 🙂

“Either the readers are diplaced Geordies, like ourselves, or they have picked up on Newcastle during the Keegan or Robson eras”

They showed Newcastle all the time in the mid/late 90`s. So for me, have to say Keegan 😉

And the last thing: Newcastle is a fantastic city 🙂 Been there five times and i`m definitely coming back. Maybe some day to watch them at St.james`park! 🙂 i`ve only seen the stadium when it was empty with guides… i would prefer 52.000 others!!!

We can do this! (Please)

Best regards from Norway!

• korn8

May 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM

btw: i think it`s only like in Ireland and Norway actually “everybody” supports english teams… English football is MASSIVE in norway. 🙂

Stig Inge Bjørnebye(former Liverpool fullback) said: ” I think norwegian men have a more intense sexual relationship to english football then their wifes!!”

Sums it up really 😀

• Tom_Toon

May 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I think its pretty safe to assume, but Ketsbaia is also available.

Anyone but Kinnear, thanks.

• geordie deb

May 20, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Hi Nick D
    Was in San Diego for a conference. Only there a few days and working most of the time so didn’t get to see much, but it looks a really nice place.

• Nick D

May 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Hi Geordie Deb,

Just asked as I lived out there for a couple of years working between LA and Frisco. San Diego
    was a neat place.

• Magpie Magoo

May 20, 2009 at 6:59 PM

If nothing else, bring out Richard money, he’ll manage the young players, and won’t take any s***e from the older ones.

• tripp

May 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM

San Diego is bloody expensive, but the weather is spectacular… when the place ain’t on fire. Great sailing there too.