Martins – We’ll Fight To Stay In Premier League

Oba Martins told the official Newcastle United site yesterday, that it would mean everything to him if Newcastle United pulled off survival – somehow – at Aston Villa on Sunday.

Oba Martins – in new strip last Saturday

The chances of that however, given we just lost at home to Fulham, who are a poor away side, and indeed had have only won two games away from home all season before beating Newcastle, are very low, although still possible.

But we’ve lost 10 and only won 2 of our 18 away games so far this season.

We need at least a point to survive, because defeat means we automatically go down, and if we get a draw, then a loss by Hull against Manchester United at the KC stadium will ensure our survival.

Oba Martins is saying the lads will go all out for a win on Sunday, which is what everybody said last week before the Fulham game, of course.

And this game is away at Villa Park, and Villa are currently 6th, a full  six points ahead of Fulham.  Oh well, we suppose miracles are possible – sometimes.

Oba said:

“We have to win, that is all we can do,” “We must look after our own result.”

“I don’t want to be relegated and I don’t want this club to be relegated,” “It would mean everything to me to keep this club up.”

“But we have to stay together and help each other to stay up, that is the only way we will do that.”

“I love the fans here, they are the best. That is why we must fight to stay in the Premier League.”

Oba is a good lad and he seems to be inspired by new manager Alan Shearer at Newcastle, and the following is not meant as a criticism of the 24 year-old, because part of their job each week is to give interviews.

But if our players were only as good in their play on the field, as they were in their statements before the games, we’d be in the top seven.

We’ve heard this all before and 90% of the time the lads have gone out and disappointed us.

We’d love for that to be different on Sunday afternoon – but we have our doubts – and as usual we’ll just have to hope for the best – as we  always do.

Relegation will be  a severe body blow to the Newcastle club, and if we don’t survive it will be Oba’s last game for the club , we almost forgot to mention that.

• NicoGF

May 21, 2009 at 12:30 AM

• ToonArmyLoyalist

May 21, 2009 at 1:04 AM

hello my fellow lovers of the toon.

im a long time viewer of this great blog,but this is my first post.As a long time follower of Newcastle United it upsets me so much to see my team in such a bad position.Clearly our club has been ripped apart from top to bottom by a clueless owner who is only interested in money and could not give a damn about the 52,000 who turn up loyally to follow their team.But its also quite obvious the reason we are in such an atrocious position is because we have sold quality players such as given,emre,milner,n’zogbia and replaced them with nobody’s.why the hell has nicky butt not been sold yet we sell emre and milner.i mean butt cant kick snow off a rope hes not even a championship player hes a league 2 player,and really he is an outfella.But i hope we can win on sunday to keep this great club in the premier league.And NicoGF is right about Nacho he should play he is class.

come on the toon beat the villa we did it once this season lets do it again.

• nzedtoonman

May 21, 2009 at 1:22 AM

It all seems a little too late for players to start ralleying a war cry , the fulham game showed we had no substance or depth , after Boro , we should have ripped into fuilham like ravenous lions , instead we were lukewarm , and looked shabby and disjointed .
    Experience shows that you can’t go from bad game to good game , it stands to reason that we will struggle to even get A POINT or EVEN A GOAL against Villa on Sunday , Crap midfield , can’t improve in 7 days I’m afraid !!

• Cookerman

May 21, 2009 at 2:27 AM

Anyone explain to me why harper was not onto that long through ball that Fulham played when bassong got sent off? The ball is on the edge of the box when Bassong trips the fulham forward.

needless incident due to harpers positioning again

• NicoGF

May 21, 2009 at 2:28 AM

The midfield can improve. It’s what I’ve saying all this time. STOP PLAYING 2 DEFENSIVE CENTRAL MIDS… (Butt/Nolan)…

Instead.. remove one of them (the one who defends worse) and play Nacho, who is good at playmaking. Keep the 4-4-2. We grab the three points, mark my words.

• DJG

May 21, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Play Dorito, er Nacho.

Time for one last throw of the dice Mr Shearer, before you return to make-up land. With that Walkers bloke.

Hopefully Nacho will be un-injured just in time for his summer hols. Wouldn’t want him to miss them after such a years of hard blood, sweat and tiers now would we.

• davis_toons

May 21, 2009 at 3:29 AM

NicoGF i agreed with you.

but

Nacho can only play if:

1. He is fit.
    2. Shearer willing to risk
    3. Both the player and manager agrees to play.
    meaning Nacho is willing to join in and fight which might cause him to get injure again and Shearer feels that he can give us a different dimension.

There is just no news of this ‘Nacho Guy’ at all after he miss the Revs Lpool match. I think most of the EPL team dn’t even know theres a guy name “Nacho” hiding inside here.

• NicoGF

May 21, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Yeah Davis, it all has been a mystery about Nacho..
    Aston Villa will be surprised 😉

• DJG

May 21, 2009 at 3:49 AM

NicoGF,
    Are you some sort of Nacho super fan. And is it true that you are only supporting NUFC until he leaves!!!?????

• NicoGF

May 21, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Yes and Yes, DJG.

• serene0380

May 21, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Everyone

I have already said, NicoGF is actually Nacho… He is promoting himself in this site.

He wants to be famous.

But being famous just speaking out your name is not enough. You have to come out and show your skills and not like Owen. When the team needs you, you get yourself injuried.

• NicoGF

May 21, 2009 at 5:42 AM

serene0380 ,

and for that, you need the coach to play you! off the pitch you can’t! I agree.

I’m Nacho Gonzalez himself.

• davis_toons

May 21, 2009 at 6:12 AM

So finally you have admited. You are the WOW factor ah…

(He is not cheap and, maybe wise manage to talk terms with Valencia)

• davis_toons

May 21, 2009 at 6:19 AM

Just imagine us having two david batty in the midfield.

Hopfully Nolan can created more changes for us.

• marcus owen

May 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM

If we want to fight to stay. We must fight more cleverly and not simply fight like what happen to fulham game.

Actually, just like many of our opponents, Fulham knew that we will attack them start from the beginning at SJP, then they actually sat back and played on the counter attack. That’s why it looked so easy for Kamara to score the only goal for the game and this could be happened again when we play against Aston Villa.

Of course, i am not saying we cannot attack AV. We attack, we attack them in a way that not to push all players up and leave only two CBs to defence at our own half.

As i said, we may need only a single point to stay in PL. That’s why i would lke to suggest we start the AV game by defending at our own half first and try to counter attack AV. Keep this tactic until Hull scored against Man U or the last 20mins if Hull is still draw with Man U.

By doing this, we may have more chance to stay instead of losing easily against fulham or even AV by this coming sunday.

Very sad to heard Carroll was injured.

• ToonAce

May 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Has anyone here heard the bullocks story that Newcastle, Boro and the mackems would think about suing man u if fergie fields a weakened side?!
    Heard some tall tales in my life, but this is one of the best!
    As far as I know, there is no law stating that you have to field your best team, especially if you’ve one the league and have the biggest match of the season coming up!

P.S. Nacho is crap….Sunday aint the time to give players a ‘trial’ run!

• ToonAce

May 21, 2009 at 7:07 AM

oops ^won the league…^

• serene0380

May 21, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Craps NichoGF

If you are really that good, do you think Alan Shearer will left you out of the pitch???

Stop advertising your name here. If you are not supporting Newcastle, just leave the blog.

Now it’s not the time to advertise, it’s the time to support Newcastle team and let them have the confident to fight and win!!!

• NicoGF

May 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Well AS is not an experienced manager. When we were training free-kicks I did much better than him. I scored 11 out of 15 against Harper, while he could only score 8 (I know he’s retired but he was good in the past).

• Nick 69

May 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

ToonAce- it said on sky sports yesterday that ther actually is something in the rule book that states all teams must field their strongest team whenever possible, but then again if they dont want to thers nothing stopping the team doctor coming out and saying ther all injured. if it does happen then it is an absolute disgrace, i mean we can hardly blame man utd for the fact ther we simply havent gotten enough points FFS

• Toon Graeme

May 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM

NicoGF –

If you are Nacho – what has been wrong with you all season?

And if you are in training to be selected why are you up at a god for saken hour posting on here.

If you up all night then you not exactly gonna be fresh as a daisy in the clubs training ground.

Then again – your not even in Newcastle are you.

I stopped being a member of your facebook group as you are full of sh*t and they way you go one – if picked up by NUFC could be classed as misconduct with some of the things you post.

Thats why I think you are not Nacho – you a pain in the ar$e and lack being a professional footballer!

• Magpie Magoo

May 21, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I’m desperate for a win, and if the ability to win comes from Nacho, I’d scream his name from the stands all day long. Also, saying that we need a known quality in our side for the Villa game is bollocks, because, if you hadn’t noticed, we haven’t had any because our bipolar fans are destroying the players confidence. Why not bring on someone who hasn’t been jaded by the “fans” to light a fire under the team’s collective arses?

• Toon Graeme

May 21, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Like who magoo?

• Magpie Magoo

May 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Personally, I’d throw a kit on Shearer and have him play, but since that’s not going to happen, probably one of the youngsters: Ranger, Lualua, etc. I’ve never actually seen Nacho play, but then again, nobody knew really knew who Bassong was until this year….

• serene0380

May 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Now I understand why some of the news are being leaked out when it is supposed not to say!!!

• telsave

May 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Like most real supporters I only hope that Sunday at 6pm we are still in the premiership, after the elation of Monday my drive back to Spain on Sunday was a dismal one full of remorse and soul searching at least unlike my counterparts back on Tyneside I was starting to get the sun back on my back. Whatever happens on Sunday we need a complete restructure of the team, we need to build from the back , including the coaching staff who appear unable to coach correctly or change tactics mid game, we need to make sure that we have every position covered so that no more will we have to depend on midfielders playing in defence even though he has not done a bad job. We need to have a close look at our training methods and ask why are so many players injured in training and become unavailble on match days? we need to take an honest hard look at the midfield, well whereas on paper we have one I cannot see a legitimate claim for a place on my team from any of our midfield they are total woodentops. To see the once great Butt put his elephants boots on with passes that left everyone standing let alone his own players. Jonas needs to sharpen up in front of goal and not become the frightened rabbit he is, he had at least two clear chances against Fulham opting each time to shift the responsibility to someone else but with his normal skill at passing it gave the Fulham defence time to have a cup of tea. Martins runs around well but there is no real structure to his play his only defence being he has no one around him giving solid support, Owen (well what can you say except) why was he allowed to rest a suspected groin strain (with proved unfounded) when Martins was told to play through the pain barrier, I understand that the treatment room is now called the Owen Room in a tribute to the time he spends there, Viduka he still has clean boots from the day he arrived we cannot afford someone who plays one game a month when he feels like it. We are at the bottom of the table because we are a bottom of the table team. From Harper, who’s positional sense and decision making capability is a shadow of Given’s through to Martins who would get a place in any other premier side on a regular basis? Unfortunately although the whole first team will be up for sale if we do go down who will buy them, unless they take massive pay cuts. I do not believe it will do us good to go down to the Championship as there you will only replace what we have with Championship type players who may get you up but once in the Premiership will struggle to meet the grade. I have supported the toon through thick and thin for more than 50 years so I have been through this before I had hoped never to go through it again anyway if we go down I will miss the games for at least now I see them on the Internet home and away (yes I am a masochist) Chapionship games are of no real interest to Foreign viewers.

It is in their hands if they come out and play as they did against the Smogs we could get the result we need if they fail to show up because they have their bucket and spades packed together with the going away bags as they search for another club we will go down, when will these players realise it is they who have got us in this mess, not Ashley; Allerdyce; Keegan; or Shearer once they cross that white line they play no one else have they ever looked in a mirror and said that to themselves, when they point the finger there are always three pointing back.
    We the supporters can only shout and vent our spleens and hope that they will someday have as much pride as we have. When any manager says the players are devastated I laugh if they were so devastated why don’t they give their money back If those who support them through hard earned cash turned in performances at their place work as do our wonderful players they would soon find themselves out of a job and branded so that they would find new work in the same industry hard to come by.

There was no parade at full time —– I wonder why were they ashamed to face the few who remained.

Sorry this is so long but I now sign off for the rest of the season …….. roll on August whoever we are playing.

• serene0380

May 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM

“For now, all our focus is on keeping the Newcastle club in the Premier League.”

• Toon Graeme

May 21, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Hmm leaving it a bit late now are you not Oba son.

What about that rest of the underacheiving season we have had eh?

• Stuart79

May 21, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Toon Greame

My sentients exactly!

If as I imagine half these players want to leave the club, their not going to be busting a gut on Sunday are they?

It will be easier to get a move if we go down.

Thanks Mike

• Micky Toon

May 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Do people on here really think NachoGF is the real Nacho man who is currently at our club? Don’t be so daft. Of course he isn’t.
    I’m of the opinion that all the teams that are in danger will lose, us included, the table stays the same as it is now, we are relegated and the radgies will wreck the Bigg Market.
    I’ll still be watching on Sunday though, hoping for a win. I’m gutted I can’t go as it’s only a half hour drive from where I live.

• Toon Graeme

May 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Mickytoon –

re NachoGF – my thoughts exactly – the poster is full of sh1te!! Glad Im not the only one who saw through his crap

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

May 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Papers saying today Ferguson has changed his mind and will play a ‘stronger’ team against Hull. Stronger than Man Utd u18’s. Hull will still fancy their chances. I honestly think a point would be enough, but we shouldnt go for the point because we are not organised enough to keep our shape for 90 minutes. If we can pin Villa in their own half for more than 10 seconds it would be good.

• batty

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM

our record at villa in the prem played 15 won 6 drawn 5 lost 4 lost the last 2

• Micky Toon

May 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Thinking about it, I’m not so sure I can put myself through watching the game on the TV. It’s going to be a cracking day, weather wise, around here, so I’m tempted to go out side and find something to do in the garden or go on a day trip and come back when it’s all over.

• Toon Graeme

May 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Milan –

BBC reporting that FA adv that Fergie will not be punished if plays weakened squad.

Who knows – we got to look at we own match.

Nerves and lack of sleep now really getting to me.

• Johno Toon

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I belive Nachogf is Nacho who plays for newcastle. Becasue im the real Alan Shearer!

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

May 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM

There is a rule along those lines but it is Man Utd go there and not even try so Hull win they can take action. But he can pick any team he likes. We have to focus on our game but even if we did win we would have to rely on Hull or Sunderland losing. Its not in our hands anymore.

• Johno Toon

May 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I honestly think regardless of what team untied put out is capable of beating hull ( no disrespect there as to be honest the same could be said about us ) so not worried about that , think chelsea will beat sunderland so no worries there , its just ourselves im shitting a brick over , a win will keep us up but a point is very touch and go imo

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

May 21, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Im the real Shola Ameobi. I get payed 30k a week to nothing.

• Toon Graeme

May 21, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Johno Toon –

I am actually Superman. I crash landed in leazes northeast and was adopted by a geordie couple and have lived in a shroud of secrecy to disguise my super human powers brough on by your world yellow sun.

Dont tell anyone! 🙂