Shearer – I’m 100% Certain We Can Get Out Of This

There’s one thing we always noticed about Alan Shearer when he was playing – he was mentally as tough as nails.

alan-shearer-123421

Alan Shearer – 100% certain we can survive

And he’s had a very tough baptism in football management but the way a complete winner like Alan will look at it, whether we survive or not, is that it was a great experience in the job for him, so quickly in his short career.

Of course, we hope (pray is a better word), he can create a miracle on Sunday, and then the club will be saved in more ways than one.

But even if we go down we think Alan will stay on and start the Alan Shearer era at the club.   Hopefully that will happen by the club being promoted from the Championship next year at this time – winning the title by say 10 points – but that’s only if we get relegated on Sunday.

Alan seems convinced Newcastle United will be able to get clear of the bottom three with a result at Aston Villa on Sunday. We have to hope he’s arranged something with Martin to make that happen (only kidding!).

The ever upbeat Shearer was asked by Newcastle United TV on Friday morning if he was confident that Newcastle could survive and he answered:

“I’m convinced,” “I’m 100% confident that we can get out of this.” “I’ve had a good response from the players this week and we have one last chance to save ourselves.”

“We have to forget about last Saturday (against Fulham) and the previous 37 games.” “It’s all about Sunday and that’s all that matters.”

“I believe my players will handle the pressure because it promises to be a nervy affair.” “But will go into it fighting and we’ll be giving it everything we’ve got.”

This game is one of the biggest games in Newcastle’s long history, and the players will be extremely motivated, because if they can save Newcastle, some of them will stay on at Newcastle including Mark Viduka, Oba Martins,Habib Beye, Kevin Nolan  and maybe even Sebastien Bassong – maybe.

Notice that list is not very long, and only includes those who have busted a  gut for Newcastle this season.

We think Owen, Coloccini, Barton, Geremi and some others will be leaving in the summer, even if we stay up.  And we’d love to see Beye or Nolan captain next year – they would be real captains, and unlike the one we have now in Michael Owen.

And while Shearer was in a serious  mood when he met the press ahead of the big game this morning, he did reveal he had found just a little time to relax during the week. (good for him).

“I’ve managed my first game of golf this week since I took over,” “I went round with Iain Dowie and we even enjoyed a bottle of wine.”

“I won as well which always good, especially against Iain!”

We understand Alan is an excellent golfer with a handicap of about 4 – when he plays regularly that is.

We’ll not take the cheap shot and say the handicap he has at Newcastle is his players, most of  whom don’t have the spirit or the mental toughness of their very famous boss, who did it all on the field.

As much as we’ve been upset at the conduct and the form of the players these last few months, we’ve been extremely impressed with the way Alan has taken the club by the scruff of the neck – and tried to pull it to safety.

On Sunday we’ll see if he’s been successful – if he is then he’ll be worshiped even more on Tyneside than he currently is – if that’s possible.

But that’s the measure of this man.

• cooldj

May 22, 2009 at 11:23 AM

1st 🙂

• Johno Toon

May 22, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I honestly belive if Shearer stays on , regardless if the we saty up or down , he will get us winning things,

He has good football knowledge and most importantly he is ruthless, look at joey barton michael owen collochini , i firmly belive he will stay.

I also think we will stay up

• Foluwashola Ameobi

May 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM

He has to keep drumming this message into the players. Make them believe they will get of it. I would also drop the players who have been the biggest let down, which for me is Nicky Butt. He is the weak link in our team. He always gives the ball away and is just too slow to do a job in defensive midfield.

• Ericles

May 22, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Goodly news, goodly news. Firstly: on Sunday Michael Owen will score against Villa to keep us up and then walk away on a free as a hero. Secondly my DVD of Newcastle United v Man City in the 1955 Cup Final arrived today = some real fottball at last. My book order of Newcastle United: 50 Years of Hurt arrives tomorrow. I think Shearer may be right. I have a feeling, like Owen, in my groin about this!!!!

• komfort

May 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM

cool dj , is that the only tune you got mate…

• Johno Toon

May 22, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Totally agree wabout nicky butt , think a defensive midfielder is a must in the summer as i do think if kevin nolan gets inot shape he could do a job in that attacking midfield role , thought he was excellant against boro.

• boater

May 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I think you should add Duff to the list of players that have put in a decent shift this season – amidst the woe and misery around them.

When Shearer says – we have to play to the results around us in the last 10mins. .. i.e. hang on for a drawer with (fingers x’d) Hull losing against Man U.. I get very nervous.. we cannot hang on for a drawer… I just hope we are ahead in that game…. with 10mins to go…

OBA OBA OBA OBA!!!!!!!!!! Please save us lad.

• lesh

May 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Phew, if Al’s 100%, that’s a great relief….. you can rest easy now guys

• Toon Graeme

May 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Good response from the players in training. Aye like before Fulham.

The final proof of our players is on Sunday.

They better get off the bus and take it to Villa.

We WILL find ourselves shouting at the tv’s (if your not there) and probably using some profanity too. Shame its not at SJP!

• stjames

May 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The main thing is for AS to stay whatever the result on Sunday. It would be catastrophic to be yet again on square one after the game. Then we would really be in the abyss. 🙁

• Cooper

May 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM

We still follow united.

• Hugh Jorgan

May 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM

100%
    Are you sure Alan ?

• geordie deb

May 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Oh well we can all sleep easy (not) knowing the
    players gave a good response in training and Al is 100% confident we wil beat the drop…. if only

• Sav

May 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Do others read the situation the same – that Dowie is giving the press line that ‘its just until Monday’ because there is negotiation to be done with Ashley as well as out of politeness and propriety for Kinnear?
    It is the negotiating with Ashley that has me concerned. There is little evidence he makes the right call when it matters and less evidence that he is willing to invest in the club. Lets face it, those two factors are at the root of where we find ourselves now. I can’t take it for granted there will be a meeting of minds. Shearer is not Kinnear and if Ashley isn’t convincing, Al won’t stick around to pull the wool over Geordie eyes any more than Keegan.
    Will Ashley give Al the chequebook and an ‘access all areas’ pass?

• Foluwashola Ameobi

May 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM

He has the all areas pass. Dennis Wise leaving says as much. If Ashley invests i will be shocked. Still hope Shearer stays though.

• Toon_Factor

May 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Im 20% sure we will get out of this

• Foluwashola Ameobi

May 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Im 100% sure we will NOT get out of it.

• Sav

May 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Its one thing to trust someone when ther are a handful of games and you’re up to your neck in brown stuff. Its another kind of confidence altogether to get the go ahead to start planning a long term rebuild starting this summer.

• Micky Toon

May 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM

All this talk of culling the playing squad. Shouldn’t we be looking at adding to the squad first? This is one of the reasons we are so poor. We sell without having an equal or better replacement and we don’t have enough back up players to fill the void left by injuries.

• lesh

May 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Totally agree with Micky Toon @ 19, wasn’t chopping and not adequately repolacing players a major factor in the squad’s imbalance?

I’ve no problem with getting the high-earning do nowts off the payroll but let’s learn from last year and add before we sell!

As many of us said last year, MA just didn’t understand football and one would hope that he’d get somebody in who did. I’m just not convinced that a casino manager’s the one who does. Let him manage the pennies and the pies, but he and MA really need a football business specialist by their sides.

• Rodzilla

May 22, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Debs, and everyone else with the percentages, Al chooses his words wisely for press conferences.

….”“I’m 100% confident that we can get out of this.”

I too am 100% certain we CAN get out of it.

….I’m not 100% certain we WILL though.

Incidentally, I’m 50% sure we ‘will’ get out of this.

A good ‘War Cry’ story on nufc.com by the way, for anyone low on confidence, or already wallowing in despair.

TOON TOON!

KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!

WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• batty

May 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM

well iam 60% sure ROD

• Gunners

May 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Villa will be trying to hit Newcastle on the break and it will be difficult to contain the pace of Ashley Young and Agbonlahor. Good luck NUFC!

• workyticket

May 22, 2009 at 3:10 PM

It’s Carew who frightens me. I used to watch him at Valencia, and at his very best he was like Alan Shearer meets Robocop! A VERY underestimated centre forward when he isn’t injured.

• Marty-Toon

May 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Canny see us gettin out of it unless we get a draw n Hull get stuffed…….
    We deserve to go down but it`s not preferred by anyone including me.
    Has been a totally Bull Crap season n the team have to be blamed as they play the football.
    Poor management n tactics n ownership have done damage but the players are Pro`s……
    Not very Optimistic today n i hope they can make me chew me words

• toon in Kampala

May 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM

– We beat villa at sjp
    -we kept a clean sheet
    – jonas had his 2nd best game(after old trafford stunner)
    -jonas actually HAD AN ASSIST for 2nd goal
    -Reocoker playd RB that night and got skinned,can milner really do any better?
    -at OT we playd 451 and had our best away game.(Fratton park being a close 2nd)
    – Duff,jonas,martins,Guthrie,Butt all started at OT in a 451,why not try it again?
    -we are winning 2-0 on sunday

• davis_toons

May 22, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Shearer have all the ruthless the club needed to get the “WORMS” working.