Let’s Hope Shearer Can Spur Newcastle To Great Performance

The game against Aston Villa on Sunday will be one of the most important in Newcastle history, but we already have Beye, Bassong and Barton missing, with news last night that Michael Owen is extremely doubtful.

alan-shearer-682x400_796021a

Alan Shearer – CRUCIAL game on Sunday

So it doesn’t come much harder for a manager and we don’t know if Alan can get a good enough performance out of what he has available.

We need a performance as good as the Middlesbrough game, and a draw could be good enough, with Alex Ferguson saying today he will go all out to beat Hull City -that’s good to hear although that’s his job too.

Alan was asked if he has any speech made out before the lads take the field on Sunday afternoon:

“‘At the minute I haven’t got a prepared speech,”  “I probably won’t say that much to be honest. We’re all aware of the stakes and I won’t have to motivate the players for this game, put it that way.”

“The manager’s role is always important. It’s not difficult to know how we set up at the start because we have to win the game. Villa are not on a great run but I’ve got an important role to play. And so have the players.”

“I know what this club is, what it means to the people. You know what it means to me. That is why I came back.”

Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill has worked with Shearer in the BBC studios, so they know each other well and the Villa manager thinks that Shearer has everything it takes to become a top-class manager.

And of course Newcastle tried to get Martin O’Neill to replace Greme Souness in early 2006, but he was having none of it.

O’Neill and Shearer were together for the 2006 World Cup with the BBC, and Martin even thinks Alan could spur the Newcastle side into a great performance on Sunday.

Martin O’Neill said:

“You, as a manager, can affect things all week. And if you don’t have an effect with 15 minutes to kick-off, what’s the point of the club employing one?”

“Initially, it was a short-term galvanising effect that they were looking for. You can do that to the players, the club and the crowd. He’s definitely galvanized the crowd.”

“He has given them the lift they were looking for. He would have been hoping after that Middlesbrough result that they kicked on against Fulham. But he understands that football isn’t like that.”

It also looks like Shearer’s time has been gobbled up by the Newcastle job since April 1st, and apparently his son Will, like any other Geordie fan, has his own views on Newcastle. 😀

Alan talked about his son Will:

“‘He just tells me what team to pick,’ “And I might be better off listening to him, judging by our results … and I said that before anyone else did.”

Will must be around 8 years old now, and has been raised on Tyneside, so he’ll grow up just like his Dad, a Newcastle United supporter through and through.

We wonder if Will has blond hair?

• Doocey

May 23, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Every game since Shearer has taken over, has been crucial.

Really hope he can use all of his expertises for this one, at the end of the day it’s the players who bring it home.

• Zangwill_Ho

May 23, 2009 at 5:00 AM

no need to focus on Owen, he is unless!

• Zangwill_Ho

May 23, 2009 at 5:02 AM

no need to focus on Owen, he is useless!

• Ericles

May 23, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Owen had no intention of being part of the equation on Sunday. The only equation he is interested in is his NUFC pay packet. Forget him.
    Shearer must go and do or die with his selection. All Geordies everywhere feel for him now. Big Al will not let us down. Harper will not. Steven Taylor will not. And if he played Ameobi would not. We need a team that bleeds black and white on Sunday. If whoever they are play their hearts out but lose I will not be ashamed. Look around you lads – you have an entire region rooting for you on Sunday, so who gives a shite about a little bunch of paper and TV pundits?

• Johno Toon

May 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Think regardless what league we are in next season ericles owen must go , yes he has a decent goal scoring record when he plays for us , but that is the point he rarley does and last 6 months atleast he has just been going through the motions.

• Tom1664

May 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM

“We wonder if Will has blond hair?”

I think a bigger question is
    “Can he play football?”

• bobby_ollox

May 23, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I am afraid that if he couldnt spur them to glory last week against Fulham, then this lot are unspurable.
    Right now most of them are on the phone to their agents to get a premier team lined up as soon as possible. and good riddance

• tdt

May 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

lol get this Will boy signed up – am sure he’ll score more goals than Owen has!

• Toon Graeme

May 23, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Morning lads, didnt think I would get back on the blog before Ed signs off but here I am and how could I not come on when sat at work!

Just read that about Owen – if it is true then its no real surprise isnt it. He hasnt exactly shown any interest in NUFC for months so why would he now.

He can just sod off and play horsey horsey.

I can only, sorry we, can only cling onto the thought of victory.

If we can keep the defense tight and watch the counter I think we will do ok. I cant think anything else.

Ive lost enough sleep this week!!!

• tdt

May 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Ye the defence has 2 be solid – hmmmm that doesnt sound like r defence, but hopefully Edgar can do a good job 4 us.

Think u’v got it bad – i’ve got an exam monday mornin 9.30am! so might b difficult 2 revise n watch the footy! owell

• Toon Graeme

May 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM

tdt – good luck in your exam mate – Im if you cram today and tomorrow morning (if you can) you will be alreet.

Is there any shame in a 30yr old crying in public if we go down?

• tdt

May 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Thanks TG – av bin cramin 4 this 1 since thurs – but theres still time!

lol there’s no shame! But we’re gna win so aint gna happen – maybe in hull or mackemland though

• tdt

May 23, 2009 at 10:37 AM

29hr and 23mins until K.O!

• beyethegreat

May 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM

according to soccer am ma has a part in the new goal film

i think we will win 2 moz

S Taylor—-colo—–Edgar—–enrique

R Taylor—Guthrie—-lua lua —– Duff

———Viduka/Ranger ——- Martins

• geordie deb

May 23, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Morning folks
    Toon Graeme – enjoy your hols and hopefully you will be crying tears of joy when we beat the drop. I dread watching or reading the news as each time I put it on we seem to have another player unavailable due to injury etc. Well lets hope the swan song of many of our players playing for the last time for the toon tomorrow is a good one and that they play their hearts out and go for every ball. Is it really too much to ask for another performance with the heart they showed against Boro. If we go down and they have fought like lions I will be ok, if we turn in another lily livered performance I and I’m sure everyone else will be mightily p*ssed off. Lets hope if they don’t care about Newcastle they at least turn in a good ‘shop window’ performance for themselves.

• nzedtoonman

May 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM

There is a smell of rotten flesh in the air , the smell is the decaying remnants of the corpses who have collected their newcastle united pay cheques all season without sweating for it ! They know who they are each and every toon man needs to look ar themselves in the mirror and say whether they did us proud or not !
    I’m afraid there are many who did not bring on Nile Ranger ! time for some honest hard- working youngster to take up the mantle !

I WANNA BE A MAGPIE RANGER GONNA LIVE A LIFE OF SEX AND DANGER , GO LEFT GO LEFT …..!!!

• batty

May 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM

sick of this shit think iam gonna move to machester and start talking like a manc lol

• batty

May 23, 2009 at 11:09 AM

get in just had a vision stevey boy taylor scores 2 late goal and we win 2 1

• batty

May 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM

i wish i could get p:ssed as RODZILLA

• Toon Graeme

May 23, 2009 at 11:13 AM

TDT – I’ll back up your formation mate.

• Johno Toon

May 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM

whats the new blog stardust and that is starting up?
    Or where is the vast majority going? What about dooceys ( i think ) blog

• tdt

May 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM

cheers TG – I think Jonas will be needed 2 help out edgar on the right, S.Taylor and Collo will have 2 be good 2morro, I think collo performs better beside Taylor than Bassong 4 sum reason – maybe Taylor’s a bit more experienced.

• nzedtoonman

May 23, 2009 at 11:24 AM

The ghosts of the likes of …Jackie Milburn, George Robledo, Bobby Mitchell, Joe Harvey, Len Shackleton and Frank Brennan.
    These guys need to rise and join us on the pitch at Villa Park on sunday , and then we may just stand the GHOST of a chance !!

• batty

May 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM

DONT FORGET WOR HUGHEY

• tdt

May 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM

goin 4 a stadium tour at St.James next sunday – god I hope we stay up or it’l be like visiting a graveyard!

• hitman

May 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM

if we stay up we will be in the same shite next seaon,ashley will not give the manager money in the summer to sort the first team oot.

• AndyNUFC

May 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

The goal! films have got a bit ridiculous, I only liked the first one. Speaking of bad sequels. – Green Street 2.

• xfer

May 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM

lol nzedtoonman, good one

• Johno Toon

May 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM

greenstreet2? wasnt that the movie with the hobbit going around in a west ham firm? how could they possibly make a squeal out of that?

• Johno Toon

May 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Forester has signed a new 5 year deal

• toon in Kampala

May 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM

We need Edgar at CB to match Carew n Heskey aerial menace,which Collo can’t do.

……Harper……
    Rtayl Edgar Stayl Jose
    Jonas Butt Nolan Duff
    Viduka Oba

• workyticket

May 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Johno Toon // May 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM

“whats the new blog stardust and that is starting up?
    Or where is the vast majority going? What about dooceys ( i think ) blog”

It’s on it’s way Johno, i’ll post a link to the forum soon. We need input from users about the kinds of things you would like to see in a new Newcastle United site.

• Sav

May 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I’m hoping for a big game from Duffer. He has been very good the last few games and looks a fit as a butcher’s dog but has had to play at fullback. Without Luke Young he could be up against Milner.
    We have really missed any worthwhile crosses and ammo for the front two. If we have any hope, that is where I see it coming from. I’ve never seen Ranger so I guess he is a wild card for getting a goal in the last ten minutes. Therefore, I hope I don’t have to see him tommorrow, either – Don’t think the nerves will stand it.

Not sure I wouldn’t rather have Colocinni at RB instead of Taylor but I guess we’d miss the throw-ins and lousey free-kicks.

And I’d go mental if Edgar gets one – I reckon he is a really unlucky lad who always does well, or at least ok but never gets a start in the next match. This could be his ticket to fame and a new contract so he’ll be giving it the full welly.

• Sav

May 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Relegation is miserable enough without Sawdust, Ashley’s bloated alter-ego, mouthpiece and hysterical apologist running a forum. Its bad enough having to put up with his petty ‘you’re a real fan and you are not a true fan’ bullshit on here. I’d rather listen to Oswald Mosely or Lord hawHaw than that.

Things are bad, but not THAT bad, surely?

• Tom_Toon