Shearer To Stay On And Concentrate On Youth Development

Alan Shearer has obviously been set alight by the role of manager at Newcastle, and even in these dire days for the club, Shearer has remained upbeat , and seems to be enjoying the challenge immensely.

alan-shearer-1392106c1

Alan Shearer – will stay on as Newcastle manager

Alan has talked to the Sunday Sun this morning, and it seems obvious he will stay on at the club, even if we are relegated, but he will need some commitments from owner Mike Ashley.

He was asked if Newcastle’s fate today will have any bearing on his decision whether to stay on this summer or leave, Shearer said:

“Probably not.”

However, Shearer thinks the reviving of a once great club, will take some investment, and that may be hard to come, if we are relegated.

Alan said:

“The financial side is not important today but it will be on Monday morning,”

“Whoever is in charge, investment needs to be there. That is another issue to be talked about with whoever is in charge next season.”

“I am sure that will be talked about next week. I will have a meeting with Mike, and will see what is best for the club.”

“Whoever is in charge of this club has to get the best youngsters to this football club,” “Not Sunderland, not Middlesbrough. They must come here."

“I turned down Newcastle for Southampton as a 15-year-old kid, but I would hate guys to be turning Newcastle down now to go to other clubs and I don’t think they should be.”

“I’d love players of all ages to want to play for this football club.” “It is a fantastic football club. Yes, huge mistakes have been made. But we have one last chance to rectify that.”

“Then, hopefully, those mistakes will never be made again.”

We’ve lost some great players form the Newcastle are, because the club didn’t or couldn’t recruit them. Alan is probably the best example and it cot us 15M 10 years after he left Tyneside, to buy him back. So a good youth policy makes lots and lots of sense in financial terms too.

We also lost Michael Carrick to West Ham, but we understand that decision came after Keegan scrapped the Reserve side, and Michael couldn’t see himself getting a game on Tyneside.

Whatever happens this afternoon there will be news galore after the game – worldwide no less, about the Newcastle club.

The game is being televised live over here in the US, and around the world, as the possibility of Newcastle being relegated is a “good” news story for the media.

Let’s hope the news reports are all about the great escape.

• sirjasontoon

May 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Howay The Lads !

• Shanghaitoon

May 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Well, I’ll be glued to the screen at the British Bulldog pub in Shanghai tonight, and I’ve even got a German mate who has agreed to wear the B&W strip tonight and help me support the lads… I hope and pray its not in vain. I just hope that they go all out and play like they’re paid to play!!!

Like it or not, I’m a Geordie boren and bred with B&W blood… Whatever happens I cannot change my allegiance… Good luck NUFC!!!

• tdt

May 24, 2009 at 11:21 AM

We wont leave if we’re relegated – most modern players at employees, not a true part of the club.

Taylor loves the toon though so he has my respect – 3-0 toon 2day! Vid.Oba n Taylor to score will do.

I realy hope we dont go down – it will be much easier 2 progress if we stay up.

Harper
    Edgar/S.Taylor/Collo/Enrique
    Jonas/Nolan/Butt/Duff(loven)
    Viduka/Martins

• Nick D

May 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I know I sound like an old tape recording but the title of this thread could be the dream scenario.
    Someone who can bring through the following:-

Krul / Forster
    Kadar
    Edgar
    Lua Lua.
    Ranger,
    Vuksic
    Adjei
    Spear
    Baheng
    Donaldson

If Wise’s remit had just been youth development and no involvement at first team level, we’d be laughing.

• Fans Should Own The Club

May 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Hi Ed,

Where is the game televised in the USA? I didn’t see it listed on FSC. Is it on ESPN?

• geordie jock

May 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Mike Ashley to invest, don’t make me laugh. He will hardly invest in the championship if he won’t in the premier. We need a new owner, one who will love the club like we do ( i know its a long shot ). Message to Ashley please give us our club back and get out of town.

• jimiley

May 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Geordie jock
    Ashley has been good for the club because he has rescued us from oblivion by paying off the debt. He’s made a few mistakes along the way but he is new to the game and should be given 10 years to restructure the club and build from the bottom upwards. He is goingto get rid of the overpaid wasters and bring in keen and inexpensive kids. He is big on a youth policy. In 10 years time we will have a top team again and they will be mostly Geordies. We are going in the right direction with Ashley. We just need to be patient.

• geordie jock

May 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

jimiley

Ashley has been a complete and utter disaster that is why we have fought relegation for the last 2 seasons. I do agree with getting rid of overpaid wasters of which there are many and with having a good youth policy. I don’t know how any true supporter can say this fat B*****d has done anything good for the club and ifwe continue we won’t have a club in 10 years.

• Tom_Toon

May 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I’d kill to have had Michael Carrick in our team this season.

• Tom_Toon

May 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Keegan should be flogged for that alone.