Steven Taylor Staying At Newcastle – Whatever Happens

Geordie lad Steven Taylor, true to form, has today insisted he will be staying with Newcastle United – even if  we are relegated this afternoon.

steven-taylor-scores-middlesbrough-5677231411

Steven Taylor – can he do this again this afternoon?

Steven is a gutsy local lad, who plays his heart out for the side, as he grew up in close- by Whitley Bay and was a huge Newcastle supporter as a kid.

And coming out and saying what he has today shows that he is leader, and probably a future Newcastle captain, especially if Alan becomes the long-term manager on Tyneside. As far as we know this is the first time any Newcastle player has come out and said this – and that’s why Steven is a leader.

It also illustrates why Michael Owen is not a leader, because we haven’t even heard from the captain over the last several weeks. If we survive today and Michael happens to stay on Tyneside – he cannot be captain next season.

This is what 23 year-old Steven said today:

“I keep hearing about players leaving St James’ Park should we go down and my name has been bandied about.” “But I am going nowhere.”  “I am a Geordie and Newcastle United is my team and I am staying put whatever happens.” “But I am confident we will stay up.”

“I really am. Newcastle United is a big club and we have big players. And big players are what will be needed at Villa Park . “We intend to go out with the same attitude we had against Middlesbrough, which should stand us in good stead.”

We’ll need to finally drop that “big club” label if we are relegated today.

Taylor will see a lot of players today in the opposition he knows well, including those who have played with him in the England Under-21 side, where he is current captain and has been a star player overt the last two or three years.

Steven knows James Milner, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Curtis Davies, Craig Gardner, Nigel Reo-Coker and Ashley Young.

Taylor continued:

“I know that none of them will be looking to do me any favors.”

And Steven should be leading the England side in the European Under-21 tournament finals, into be held in Sweden in the summer, as he continued:

“Everyone of us going to Sweden want to play at senior level and people keep telling me it won’t do my chances any good if I am playing Championship football.”

“But I am not listening to them. First of all I don’t think it will happen.” “And, in any case, when Michael Carrick was relegated with West Ham it did not do his international prospects any harm as he was still picked for England.”

Very good point on 27 year old Michael Carrick, the Wallsend-born player now doing just great at Manchester United. He should have been a NewcastleUnited  player – but that’s another story.

Steven seems to be one of those rare players who actually puts his club ahead of himself – how many other players at Newcastle would do that? Precious few, and that’s just one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in.

• tdt

May 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM

5 hrs til K.O!

• dougnufc

May 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Good lad

• CMKing

May 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM

We are lucky to have one of the only “one-club” players left these days. He is an example to any footballer worth theire salt. Doesn’t moan when he’s on the bench, and puts 110% in even if he has a poor game. Legend. And he has scored more goals this season than our midfield.

Keep the Faith lads. No tears. Whatever happens we’ll still have Shearer next season so we’ve always got hope.

• GEORDIE69

May 24, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Good lad Steven Taylor!!!! Balls Deep son!

• batty

May 24, 2009 at 11:12 AM

GOOD LAD STEVEY BOY NOW GET ON THE SCORE SHEET AGEN

• beyethegreat

May 24, 2009 at 11:12 AM

amazing atitude i just hope there a few more players like that in our squad whether we stay up or go down

• batty

May 24, 2009 at 11:13 AM

CMKing // May 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM

<<<<YOUR SPOT ON M8

• Jan Stavik

May 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Man Utd squad: Kuszczak, Amos, Neville, Brown, De Laet, Ferdinand, Chester, Eckersley, Simpson, Fabio, Nani, Fletcher, Gibson, Tosic, Martin, Drinkwater, Macheda, Welbeck.

Don’t expect any help from this pack, amazing that the rednose Scot can field such a weak side.

Toon will need 3p today, and I can’t see it happening.

Taylor will stay yes, simply because he’s overrated and no other team would take him for the money Toon would want for him.

• batty

May 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Jan Stavik // May 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Toon will need 3p today, and I can’t see it happening.

<<<<fck off u pr!ck

• magpies1

May 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I love that soo much about time someone with balls come out and said something captain for sure next season!!

• xfer

May 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I cant bear to watch the game tbh. It’ll be too emotional!