Last 45 Minutes Epitomized The Newcastle Season

In the second half of yesterday’s game, you would hardly have thought that Newcastle’s Premier League survival rested on Newcastle scoring a goal.

Newcastle United Squad – 2008-2009 – a disgrace!
In fact Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel was hardly bothered at all in the second half, and didn’t have one save to make, and when you think of some of our great players of the past like Jackie Milburn, Bobby Moncur, Joe Harvey and yes – Alan Shearer, and the passion they showed for the club – that was an insult to the Newcastle United club.

Let’s get rid of this lot and the sooner the better.

Alan made the only comment that we didn’t agree with after the game in his emotional and dignified interview, when he said the lads had heavy legs in the second half.

Give me a break – Alan – you are too kind.

Spirit, passion and belief can get you running at your highest limits whatever the state of your body.

Let’s tell you a little personal story – quickly – because it makes a good point:

I ran my first marathon in 1979 in Kingston, NY and as people who have run the 26 miles and 385 years distance will tell you, the marathon really starts when you hit the 20 mile mark. The last 6 miles was torture personified – even worse than water boarding!  😀

My stomach felt like it was dropping out of my body, but I was surviving and I was determined – no let’s rephrase that – completely and utterly dedicated to finishing my first marathon. But I was surviving as I got closer and closer to the finish, and then I was told by those along the way, that there was just 100 yards to go around the upcoming corner, so I sprinted at full pelt , only to realize when rounding the corner there was still some 400 yards left. Whoops.

So I slowed done and then with really 100 yards to go, I sprinted home again at full pelt, sprinting as fast as I could, to finish my very first marathon – and I proud and ecstatic – and aching all over.   Was I depleted – I was almost dead!

Even to this day I know the time – 3hrs 42 minutes and 5 seconds, and this is the first time I have ever told anybody about this little episode, but it seems so fitting when players are said to be tired after playing 45 minutes of football  – when Newcastle future hangs in the balance – again – give me a break.

So nobody is going to tell me that the Newcastle players were tired yesterday after 45 minutes.  Please give us all a break.

Tired in spirit – yes – or devoid of spirit – yes.

Let’s get rid of this bunch of heartless and gutless players – as soon as we can – that will lighten the mood of all Newcastle fans.

Do we make ourselves clear?

• Soren

May 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM

What would it take to get you back in the Newcastle team Ed?? 🙂
    Could use some of that spirit in it, thats for sure.
    But I agree, we need lots of more willingness from players to run, run and run for each other and make the passing more flowing. Right now we are slow and static, much in midfield, and that needs to change.

• Soren

May 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM

And spirit for godssake! Need that too.

• Toon_Factor

May 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Yes fittness has been a major issue this season but i find it hard to believe the whole squad has been trained properly with all the changes throughout the year. And we cant really blame the new players either they are bound to be confused and Wise didnt take into account how the players were going to fit into our team or cover the necessary positions like LB and CM. imo Wise only bought players that he could get a good deal for not because they would bring something extra to the team

• stevep

May 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Spot on Ed – the fact is we had 38 games to get points from and the so called superstars actually played football for less than a handful (I’m being kind to them) – absolutely gutted

Ed – how about releasing a statement on whats happening to the blog?

• toon 86

May 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

spot on ed!!!
    please answer steve ps ?

• listie

May 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

A bit of topic but has anyone seen this

no idea if it is mde up rubbish or not, but apparently MA has been quoted!!!!!!!

• Bill F

May 25, 2009 at 1:20 PM

It’s as much bad psychology as bad physiology. If your mind aint in the right place then your body isn’t. We havn’t had a manager managing long enough at any one time to get the players minds right. The use of young fit players at the correct time would have been a better gamble than chucking on Shola or Owen. Any way thats what I think for what its worth.

• Newckie

May 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Well..devastated and angry but digging deep as we all must. Well said Ed “No Guts No Glory” let the players examine their own conscience if they dare.
    I am sure Big Al would much rather have been there as our new manager under far happier times but one thing is for sure! He would have gladly taken anyone else’s place to share the anguish and the heartache for he is Geordie blood and is bleeding like all of us!
    In this time of crisis I know of no other man I would trust more to fight for the cause.
    I feel your pride Ed, it’s why you dedicate so much time because it is more than passion it’s a religion.
    Thanks for the excellent Blog mate, you have been and are an excellent Geordie ambassador!

• stjames

May 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM

“We are all hurting and I feel desperately sorry for…. Mike, who has invested heavily in the Club…” (Derek Llambias)

Well, I feel sorry for MA too – because of how stupid and naive he has been. He has had 6 managers in 2 years. There is now way that all of them were incompetent imbeciles. On the other hand MA management has been just that, – incompetent and idiotic. There is no getting around that.

The players may not be the best but they have all been a part of a plan by one or the other manager at some time. This is no way to run a football club.

And Ed. We did score a goal. Remember?

• ArtyH

May 25, 2009 at 1:56 PM

BillF, spot on M8. I was shocked at seeing Amiobi/Owen get a chance before Nile Ranger. That for me gives me cause for concern over Shearers ability to take us forward. However I think he should take the job and bring some dignity back to the club. I work with some Sunderland supporters who have been working my ticket for the last few weeks. It has been hard but I have just said ” well, its our turn in the shade and your turn in the sunshine, we deserved everything we got”, that took the wind out of their sails and to be honest they gave up the crap quickly and took a more sympathetic stance. We as supporters need to keep a sense of dignity even if the knackers who run the club cannot. Finally , why, why , why must $ky cameras have to glorify the disgrace of relegation by getting headline shots of tossers crying outside of Shearers bar which will come back and haunt us for years. Lets ALL set an example for the sake of the club and accept our fate, and clear the decks and start again!
    This time, lets get it right, ( and no one can say I’m impatient ) at mid 50’s there is not much time left for me to enjoy a great Newcastle football TEAM!

• Partizan

May 25, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Mercenaries and men wearing women’s underwear are playing for our cluc……early cup exits,FA and Carling and with no CL or even Uefa Cup they’re still tired……i’m pretty sure they never get tired of their bank accounts.

• Fans Should Own The Club

May 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Ed, why not continue the blog but instead of writing four or five entries every day, keep it to one entry. Just do a brief round-up of items. That wouldn’t eat up your time and energy.

And I’d also recommend that you just let all the controls loose–don’t worry about moderating it. Let people say what they like and the regular contributors “police” it so you don’t have to bother.

• durhammag

May 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Despite not being a Shearer as manager fan, and having been on this board previously extolling the virtues of ketsbaia particularly now we are in the championship, I hope AS stays for no other reason than to stop the managerial merry go round and add some stability to the club. We got a lot of stick from other fans when Shearer was given the job as it was seen as another messianic appointment, but his dignity and straight talking attitude yesterday is exactly what we need, and managing in the Fizzy Pop league could be what he needs. My only fear is that AS will step down, and the job will be given to Dowie.

Team for next season?

Lua Lua

then we still have Vuckic, Godsmark, Baheng, Donaldson et al.

I think this could be the making of the club, seriously. We have been building castles on sand for 3 years now, and hopefully this dose of reality will bring some long term planning to the club

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

May 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

We will definitely be seeing Vuckic next season, you can trust me on that. Physically he is ready and he has enough talent to play first team assuming all the other players left for ‘bigger’ clubs.

• Partizan

May 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM

durhammag…..We need more than that mate,thats a mid table team at best even for the Championship league.We need to think of the reserve team aswell

• DevonMag

May 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Good day to my fellow toon sufferers, I’ve had a while to reflect on yesterdays game and to be honest I’m feeling oddly positive about heading for the fizzy; our team didn’t deserve to be in the prem league, whatsoever, maybe this is what we need. The only players I’m vaguely worried about loosing are bassong, beye, enrique and sort of martins, but not so much. He might be sheer unpredictable brilliance on his day but personally I’d rather have a striker that can score from INSIDE THE BOX without blasting it over the bar 9 times out of 10. Should get a tidy sum for him, my only worry is seeing him shine at some other club- same as my worry for owen. I have a feeling we could keep beye and enrique on the books, is fat ash doesn’t bloody sell them (which he probably will). IMO if we can keep the same starting back four we will be an extremely hard team to beat in the championship. The other good thing, if AS stays this is, is that he will have a season learning his trade in the championship, and he really could do with the experience required if we’re to be a good team again in the prem. I had about 14 texts yesterday when the final whistle went, knew they would come, all from my n0b’ed united and arsenal supporting mates, they were surprisingly easy to deal with though. My best pal was actually at the game (huge villa fan) and he called me up almost in tears at the full whistle cos he was so gutted to see us go, saying the away fans were amazing, with so much pride and dignity. Made me proud to be supporting this club and it’s gonna be just as easy to support us in the champ as it was in the prem. I really think we have a good chance of winning this league, if Mike stays he needs to realise that we have to hold on to a few core players to keep the shape of the team together. And in mp opinion, if Barton says he wants to stay and will take a wage cut then he should bloody well stay, that man, for all his faults, would absolutely set the championship on fire. Could easily be the highest scoring midfielder in the champ, easy. Would love it if he stayed, regardless of what AS thinks of him I think he should swallow his pride and settle their differences for the good of the club. We need promotion, fast, otherwise I can see us slipping further and further…
    Dead proud of Duff as well, so much respect for the guy, what a legend for commiting himself to the cause. He make be a fine championship player in my opinion

• Nick D

May 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Very depressing news that Duff now says he wants to stay. I know he is a pal of big Al, but surely the likes of him on 70k a week and Butt on 50K a week have got to be shown the door asap. The only plus point of going down is to get rid of all these over paid, sick note, has beens who have just never done it.

People who defend Allardyce saying he wasn’t given time, please take a look at all the deadbeats he bought

Viduka, Barton, Geremi, Cacapa, Smith to name a few and then add Owen, Duff and Butt to the crime sheeet.

Problem of course is who else is stupid enough in a recession to give them the wages that burke Shepherd initially put in place. Of course Duff wants to stay. We could be stuck with a load of these mercenaries hiding behind the guise of being ” loyal ”.

• ObaFan2

May 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Damn missing post:

There is a “parachute” payment for relegated clubs and if used wisely could cover some higher earners for a season but will be a gamble…..

• Foluwashola Ameobi

May 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I think if Duff would renogiate his contract he would be worth keeping. He is one of the only players who has put in a proper shift this season.

• Partizan

May 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM

My team would be:

——————-Ranger———-Di Vaio

Subs:Harper,Vuckic,Lovekrands,Duff,Lua Lua,

• DevonMag

May 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Obviously duffs gonna re-negotiate his contract, he wouldnt be able to stay other wise that essentially is what commiting yourself to a relegated team means

• Nick D

May 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

My only regret about A.S was that his record was actually as bad as Hughton !!!

I’m sad that he never played any younger players where we were really exposed by Villa’ s
    youngters running rings around our ancient midfield. Ranger had to come on before
    Ameobi. Those 3 misses were really embarrassing.

Possibly A.S isn’t the man after all.
    Maybe Di matteo and martinez are better options.

Still I’, pleased he stood up to barton you don’t need that at any club for team spirit etc.

• ObaFan2

May 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

“if Barton says he wants to stay and will take a wage cut then he should bloody well stay, that man, for all his faults, would absolutely set the championship on fire.”

lol add arson then to his list of offences 🙂

I agree we need to keep some more experienced players if possible and mix with some of the youngsters coming through, get rid of those who want to go and are no good and get a few in….

• Partizan

May 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Please have a look at this guy and see why all the big clubs are after him…..i dont say he’ll reject Barca,Man Utd etc in our favour….but the loan move is very possible.

Just pay attention on his moves,he is so electrifying young lad with moves so so similar to CR7.

• Fans Should Own The Club

May 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Hi all,

When did Duff say he wanted to stay? I missed that.

Anybody planning to watch Burnley & Sheffield now?

I figure I’ve got to start getting to know the Championship teams… and we’ll be playing one of them next season.

• Ashton

May 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM

My team for next season

—————————- Krul
    Naughton —— Taylor ——- Sall ——- Enrique
    —————– Barton ——- McCarthy
    Ki sung yong ——————————- Shelvey
    —————— Ranger ———– Cox

subs : Guthrie – Lualua – Vuckic – Edgar – Taylor – Carrol – Inmann

• Paul141726

May 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Toonfactor-comment #3 you are sooo right. And this was where communication (or lack of it) in management let the club down BIG TIME. Players were bought to show that something-anything- was being done with NO thought as to what all these signings would do to the “chemistry” of the club. Wise showing he could buy players–big deal!!! Even I could do that if Ashley was dumb enough to give me the money. I think his idea was to just buy the players and let the coaching staff take the heat for lack of vision as to what to do with these players when they got to the club and could not be changed to play a different style of football.

• toonoholic

May 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM

honestly the only way to cheer us up is to see someone or AL take the responsibility within a week and we actually form a squad before july itself so everyone has a solid 1 month to work with everybody else.

If we sign again on august 31 st . Then forget promotion.

• DevonMag

May 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Really looking forward to seeing vuckic, lua lua and ranger in the championship. They’ll slot in perfectly as long as we have the strength and backbone in the team. If we just field our youngsters we’ll get owned and nudged of the ball constantly. But correctly added to the mix we’ll be fine. If beye, enrique, hopefully barton, and with any luck bassong (not likely) stay to add to s. taylor, duff, nolan? guthrie? we’ll be fine.
    It’s funny cos most of the players definitely leaving I have absolutely no problem with going whatsoever!

• hitman

May 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM

spot on toonoholic,ashley carnt drag his knuckles this time,we need it sorted ASAP.

• Fans Should Own The Club

May 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Thanks, Obafan2.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

May 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM

after a while to reflect, just like devonmag, im rwally looking forward to this, it is a good feeling i have rather than the devastation i had yesterday, as soon as i seen taylor crying it set me off, he will be our captain next year. i believe we will get rid of the shite and keep, taylor, all the youngsters like kadar, carroll, tozer, lua-lua etc, beye, duff, and few more.

anyway, i was up the ground on friday and some kind man let me and the family into the players bar and stuff, and then out into the ground, i have never been in the ground when its empty, it was amaising, to be there with the missus, little sisters, mam, dad, and my auntie and cousins, it made me think quite hard, what other club the size of ours let people into the ground like that, he was such a kind man that let us in, he was a very intresting one who has watched the toon every home and away game for the last 40 years, and is quite in the know of the club. i was looking around the ground, watching the groundsmen wander about, there was a sponsors day going on just before we got there, the sun was beaming and we could do what we want, the man took me on the pitch, just me, and asked if i would like to score a goal in the gallowgate end, i surely obliged and smashed a screamer in off the bar from the penalty spot, one of the best days of my life, i had just got the new shirt, with shearer 206 legend on the back, the lasses in the shop were begging me not to have it done as obviously it had premiership numbers, but im not bothred, i love it, i also got a few fleeses and tracksuits all of them were buy one get one free, so i spent around 400 pound on toon stuff and can fill my wardrobe, all so cheap.

just want everyone to keep faith, as the oldman who let us in the ground, winked at me and said, put your money on shearer, dowie, rob lee, warren barton, and speedo being here next year, so i did and i went to the bookies yesterday, and got the odds of 890-1 for them all being in, the odds then dropped to 300-1, then 230-1, then 180-1. i couldnt believe it, hopefully the man is right, i just want ed, you to put up a article who we should bring in this summer. i would like to see the following come in

jordi gomez
    roger johnson
    darren gibson on loan
    macheda all the past four players on loan

im looking forwardto next year, and id just like to say i will be at nearly every game and i would hope everyone espec people like toon graemewho always go to the game carry on as normal, devonmag- we will get to see alot of games closer to home, especially at that poohole home park, ninian park, liberty stadium, ashton gate and a few more, keep believing lads

• DevonMag

May 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Yes Gerrard, cracking to see that positivity! And I know pal one thing I’ve been thinking is Plymouth away! Finally get to cheer on the toon proper. Cant wait to chant ‘we ‘ate argyle we ‘ate argyle’ even tho it’s an Exeter city song, what with them being my home town club I’ll have no problems with singing it!
    I think it’s essential that we keep hold of beye, enrique and with any, ANY luck Bassong. I’ll be so gutted to se Bassong go to a quality side and shine 🙁 If ashley puts the whole first team up for sale regardless I dont know what I’ll do…
    Id really like to see this Jordi Gomez in the side, it’s a sign, he’s got the word ‘jordi’ in his name and my dj alias is Gomez…gotta be signed up haha. Team next season:

beye–tayls (c)-bass?-enrique?

Lua Lua-Nolan-Jordi?- Duffer

subs: Harper, Kadar, Vuckic, inman, loven, guthrie

• Zangwill_Ho

May 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM

[Accorrding to BBC SPORT]

Duff pledges future to Newcastle

Newcastle winger Damien Duff has vowed to remain at St James’ Park and hopes Alan Shearer will remain as manager.

Duff’s own goal at Aston Villa sealed Newcastle’s relegation and the 30-year-old said: “I’m devastated. I don’t know what words can describe the way I feel.

“I’m as loyal as they come and, whether the gaffer stays or goes, I’d love to try to get Newcastle back up.

“If there’s one man to get us back up it’s Alan Shearer. I’ve loved working with him and it’s been a proper club.”

It is the second time Duff has experienced relegation, having been part of the Blackburn squad that went down in the 1998-99 season.

“When it happened at Blackburn, I wasn’t planning on seeing it again in my career. It’s not a nice feeling,” said the Republic of Ireland international, who joined Newcastle from Chelsea in 2006.

“No disrespect to the Championship but Newcastle are too big a club to be down there. I plan on being straight back up after next season.”

To compound the misery, it was Duff’s own goal that confirmed the Magpies’ exit from the top flight and he admitted: “You think, ‘why me?’.

“But I’m a big man and I’ve been around for a while now, so I’m going to have to get over it.

“I’ll be thinking about it for a long, long time but what can you do? That’s football. You can’t dwell on disappointments in your career. You have to move on.”

Shearer took temporary charge at Newcastle in April but the club won only four points from his eight matches at the helm.

“I think he’s been brilliant even though we haven’t got the results to keep us up,” stated Duff.

“It’s the first time in a long while that this place has felt like a proper football club. Things are done right and it’s been a breath of fresh air. It’s just disappointing we couldn’t stay up for him and the fans.”

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor, who came through the academy system at the club, said: “The dressing room was like a funeral afterwards. Everybody was devastated.

“It’s the worst feeling I’ve had as a professional footballer. It’s the worst day in our careers.

“I’ve got the European Championships with England Under-21s to focus on now. That’s all I can do but this is something I’ll never, ever forget.

“The 3,000 Newcastle fans who came down to Villa Park are the reason you play.

“It’s got to be an honour to play for Newcastle United Football Club. I know there will be changes but I don’t know what’s going to happen. As players, we haven’t got a clue but I’d just ask the fans to stick with us next year.”

Duff, I am so proud of you!!!! You are Newcastle United Hero!!! Never give up!!!

• Nick D

May 25, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Zangwill Ho – get a grip, he’ll never get 70k anywhere else. he’s got no relegation clause !!!!!!!!!!!