Newcastle Players Want To Both Stay And Leave

It looks like quite a few players have already said they will be leaving Newcastle United in the summer.

peter-lovenkrands-ghgh

Peter Lovenkrands – wants to stay in top class football – will leave

Peter Lovenkrands, the Danish striker, who has spent the last six months at St James Park on a short-term deal, is now likely to move on in the summer.

His agent Ivan Marko Benes has told Bold.dk today:

“We are looking for a new contract for Peter in England,” “Most players want to play in the top division, so Peter is no different.”

The former Rangers star made 12 Premier League appearances for Newcastle, and scored 3 goals, and we (this blog) would like to see him stay at the club, but if he wants to leave – so be it.

And Damien Duff, who was a revelation at left back and played with great spirit in the final crucial games, and was just so unlucky to score the own goal that got us relegated, also wants to stay on at the club.

Damien said earlier today:

“I am as loyal as they come, whether the gaffer stays or not,” “But if there is one man to get us back up, it is him.”

” It has been a proper football club for eight weeks and it was about time it was.”

Good words frorm the Irishman, and hey – who needs Enrique when we have Damien Duff, who looked a top-class left back – Shearer will keep Duff at the club, and so he should. However, we’d like to see Jose stay on Tyneside, because he has the required spirit, there no doubting that.

And Jonas Gutierrez has made it known he could be considering his options in the summer – translation – get me out of here! 😀

With the FIFA World Cup next summer, he will hardly get into the Argentine squad playing in England’s second division. So thats’ being fair to the player, and you cannot fault a player for wanting to play for their country in the World Cup, can you?

And we know Steven Taylor wants to stay at the club, and he expressed that yesterday, and most Newcastle fans are pleased this Geordie warrior has no intentions of leaving the Magpies (ever?).

And hey, we don’t mind players leaving, because most of them have been completely hopeless this season, and we need a new infusion of fresh (younger) players, who want to come to Tyneside, and play for the new Newcastle United, under the passionate and committed Geordie leadership of Alan Shearer – we wouldn’t want it any other way!

That’s all we ask, and we’re sure that’s what Alan will do during the transfer window this summer.

Comments very welcome.

• BT9MAG

May 26, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Just general question Ed, obviously living in America it must be tough getting over to see the games – what was the last live game you managed to see and how did we do etc?

• DJG

May 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM

I would like us to keep Enrique. He would be an above average LB in the championship. I would like to see us keep these players but we need to add loads more.

_________Harper________
    Beye__S.Taylor_Bassong_Jose
    Guthrie__Nolan_LuaLua_Duff
    _____Ranger__Carroll____

• DJG

May 26, 2009 at 2:18 AM

I hope Shearer stays because he is the only guy who will be given enough time. We need a captain who is gonna play virtually every game. Habib Beye would be my choice if he stays. Steven Taylor is captain material. He is young but it has to be out with the old and in with the new. I would like to see Tim Krul given a go in goal instead of just assuming Harper is best.

• Tom_Toon

May 26, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Enrique is an above average LB in any league in the world.

Doubt he’ll stay.

• Tom_Toon

May 26, 2009 at 2:36 AM

As for Lovenkrands, eh.

Cya.

• Warwick Hunt

May 26, 2009 at 2:52 AM

I can’t see many of our players wanting to stay to play in the lower league, but HEY I can see less of our players I’d like us to keep.
    Wheat and Chaff springs to mind, get rid of as many of the under performing , over paid, lazy gets we can and start a fresh.
    All is not lost, we still play in Black and White.
    I just hope and pray we put as many of the players that have been rubish on the maket before they start saying “I want to stop and play for NUFC” once they realise that no- team wants them because they have played crap this season.

• ToonAce

May 26, 2009 at 5:01 AM

What sickens me is that most of our players, played like utter crap this season, not caring at all for the club and the reality of relegation. All they cared about is their stinkin’ pay checks! I hope that other teams realise this and don’t offer them the same high wages they’re accustomed to. Although there will probably be a team or two out there that will offer it to them!
    Its a shame that S. Taylor, Harper, Shearer and us fans, people who actually care about this club have to suffer because of them!
    I hope nobody offers our overpaid crap more than a pound a week…! Make them suffer! Ah well, it’s nice to dream, hey?!

• Archie Brand

May 26, 2009 at 5:39 AM

Its a sad fact that every manager out there thinks they can “sort out” troubled underperformers of the likes of Smith, Martins etc. They’ll all get offers from other clubs and move on. Good luck to them.

Even if it takes Shearer a couple of seasons to build a decent team of fit youngsters (rather than the knackered old has-beens we have now) it will be worth the wait.
    Enrique has improved but he’s still not up to it.

Just out of interest – anybody reading this – how many do you reckon we’ll get to a home game playing in the Championship?

Who’s on their way out?
    Colocini, Bassong, Enrique, Butt, Barton, Smith, Viduka, Martins, Owen, Guiterrez, Lovenkrands, Ameobi.

Admittedly the last one is just wishful thinking.

• Alex

May 26, 2009 at 5:42 AM

DJG
    That team is more or less the team that i want to start the new season with , its promotion material . I still got my doubts about Nolan , but if we could get his form of a couple of seasons ago back he will score loads of goals in the ccc .

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Archie Brand: If we are near the top pushing for promotion/play-offs the place will be full just as it was when KK was there when we last got promoted. If we are near the bottom it will be half-full

• ian

May 26, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Everyone seems to be putting a lot of faith in Shearer’s ability to buy a decent full team of players, I thknk Shearer should leave manage an estabblished club and come back to us later.

Seriously I think this job has Roder written all over it, buying players was his job all on a low budget, he knows championship football and is 100% for Newcastle.

I do not want big names anymore, I am tired of them, I want someone who knows what they are doing. I also do not want a new manager who thinks he is a new celeb and fancies himself on the TV or thinks he will get a job in the premiership after this one.

Roeder will roll his sleeves up and get on with the job, plus he has the right nature to tolerate this plum of an owner.

• sirjasontoon

May 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Wholesale changes is fine by me…need an injection of youth and pace and some new senior faces.

I am tired of looking at jaded superstars…they are not welcome at the club please leave pronto.

If we fielded the current seniors for another season they would be mid table at best in the championship they are that bad.

Howay the Lads

• geordie deb

May 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I’m sure there are enough good young players out there that despite the shambles the club has become would still give their right arm to come and play at SJP and would fight tooth and nail to get NUFC back into the premiership.

• harry861

May 26, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Re Archie Brand
    I agree nearly 100% with who should go apart from Enrique he has improved over the past season to good left back & try & keep him.

Regarding Ameobi chances he’s had to make impression really is disappointing & to give him 2 year contract by Joe Kinnear well beggars belief .

• Davies

May 26, 2009 at 9:32 AM

DJG, I’d go with the team mate. I doubt we’ll still have Beye and Enrique come August though.

• Davies

May 26, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Just out of interest; does anybody know why Shola always seems to either hit the ball with his shins or send it out of the Park?

My theory: It’s hard to play football in clown shoes.

• DJM TOON

Viduka, 80G
    Martins, 80G
    Owen, 110G
    Guiterrez, 50G
    Lovenkrands, 50G
    Ameobi.30G

So there’s 12 of the supposed 15 that are on 50+ wages… who else…

Duff
    beye
    ………

• DJM TOON

May 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM

by my calculations, and including beye at 60G, thats 860,000 a week, 44,720,000 a year FFS. 44mil for that lot! jesus on a donkey

so fat ash has asked the wage bill to be cut by 30mil… would actually give us 14mil for wages to play around with… with that in mind, if we can convince beye to stay and enrique, that would be a good start.

• Sav

May 26, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Ian are you nuts? Can you imagine the backlash Ashley will get after this terrible, disastrous season if Shearer walked out now? Ok, he is not tried and tested, but he is one of the few whom fans will trust, and lets face it, Guus Hiddink etc. aint gonna happen.
    – And this is Shearer’s trump card to get some cash injected and promises of autonomy out of the owner who is over a barrel. If I were Al, I’d demand Llambias’ arse on a platter for starters. He does nowt that I can see.
    As for Lovenkrands, its no great loss. He cost nowt and did ok so no hard feelings.

• Nick 69

May 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM

djm- lovernkrands will be on nowhere near 50k!!
    and bassong is on around 5k per week as it said he was being offered a treble your money new contract at xmas time which would put him on 15k!

• Nobby

May 26, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Well, for one, I’d like to see the youngsters have a go at the club. Habib and Nicky should and would be good role models to them.

Youngsters like Ranger, Forster, Lualua, NgoBaheng, Kadar, and even that sixteen year old… Vuckic, was it?

Btw, is Tim Krul still with us?

• xfer

May 26, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Good post ed, keep them coming.

• geordie.In.Taipei

May 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM

DJG – That team u put out for next season aint bad, have to agree., but we’re gonna need a couple of battlers. Couple of guys who know the championship and can really fight for it. Trust me ive seen a few championship games in recent season its bloody scrappy. Skill has got its place but u need a couple of scrappers, to be honest Taylor should be good, but im not sure about BAssong in the Championship, i may be wrong, but id prefer a 6 1/2 foot battle axe who can head long. Other than that, a gritty midfielder – maybe that can be nolan. And its escential to have a big strong, bloody tall striker along side carrol, like a John Hartson type – Viduka????????