We’ve seen it in the comments with our readers, and it’s also true that this will be the biggest change in Newcastle’s squad for many many years – good.
Michael Owen – the worst deal for a club in Premier League history
That’s because we are forced to unload some of our high wage earners, but there is also a chance that by reducing the wage bill Mike Ashley has to pay from around £74M to say £40M, the squad is also improved.
Doesn’t that go against the conservation of energy?
But indeed, that’s the opportunity Shearer (if he is manager), Llambias and Mike Ashley have in the summer. While we wouldn’t have had to be so drastic if had survived last Sunday, the way a lot of our readers are looking at it – is since we have to do it now – let’s do it thoroughly.
Gone are the days with a squad of Owen, Viduka, Coloccini, Cacapa (remember him), Gonxzalez (who is he?), Smith and Barton – players who are paid massive amounts of money and are either always injured or when they do play – they are mediocre, at best.
The only player we would excuse a little is Mark Viduka – who was great in our last several games- but that’s all he played all season. That disallowed goal against Fulham would have saved us. 🙁
So here are the players we’d like to see removed – with some supporting reasons – and then of course it would be great to get your views on this.
Maybe Alan will be reading this for some idea, once he signs his contract today or tomorrow (hopefully). 😀
Here we go:
- Michael Owen – if I was Michael Owen I would be embarrassed at taking £22M in wages over the last 4 years. Yes he’s been injured but ever goal has cost the club £1.3M – and he was nowhere to be seen in the last several vital games- injured again. It was like going into battle and wondering what happened to your top general – who disappeared. Good generals don’t disappaer in the heat of battle. Sorry Michael – and it isn’t personal because we know he’s sent notes back to some of our readers – via the www.contacttheplayers.com web-site. This is purely a professional criticism, and when you earn the doe Michael does, you have to expect criticism. I get enough of it on here for my $1/day. 😀
- Nacho Gonzalez – this is not in order but Nacho’s loan spell this season epitomized the ineptitude of the club. He’s appeared in two fleeting appearances in early September and has never been seen since. We suppose we still paid his wages and a loan fee maybe of £400K – that’s a stupid use of the club’s money. Dennis Wise did this deal and shows how inept he was – and it’s good news he’s left.
Talking about Dennis – he did this seal the deal on the last day of the transfer market last summer, which takes us to our next player.
- Xisco – Another Dennis Wise wonder signing – £5.7M for this 22 year-old who is now behind Owen, Martins, Viduka, Carroll, Ameobi, Lovenkrands and Ranger in the striker pecking order – do I have to say any more? He is 8th striker and we paid almost £6M for him – excuse me while I go and vomit in the toilet. Nobody can make a good case for him to stay at Newcastle – well maybe his mother could.
- Claudio Cacapa – signed by Sam on a free transfer after captaining Lyon to success in the French League – looked to us to be on a par with Beye when signed. But, unlike the great Habib, he just was never good enough , and while we thought (hoped is more accurate) his horror show against Portsmouth early in the 2007-2008 season was a bad day – it wasn’t. Newcastle will not renew his contract in the summer.
- Mark Viduka – still a great player when fit but in his 2 seasons at he club he appeared 48 times (34 starts) and scored 7 goals. For £65K a week that’s not a good enough production. Pim Verbeek, the Aussie coach will announce his world Cup squad for games in World Cup qualifiers against Qatar, Bahrain and Japan next month, and if Mark isn’t in – that would be a good indication he will retire, or go back to play in the A league. But credit to Mark for giving everything he had for the club, but only when Shearer arrived – he’s a good man.
- Joey Barton – the era of players who don’t give a hoot about the club is over, and also the ra of thugs on Tyneside is over and will not be allowed under Shearer – we’ll keep it short and sweet – and the lad’s on £65K/week – we paid him that to disgrace our club? And he’s done it more than once – but you don’t tangle with Shearer in the dressing room – and win.
- Fabricio Coloccini – £10M for a player who tunred out to be half as good as player we paid only £500K for – Seb Bassong. Really not good enough for the Premier league. And Mark Douglas of the Journal yesterd hit the nail on the head when he said we could have bought Gary Cahill from Bolton for about 3M, and the former Aston Villa youngster is a much better player and only 22 – good words from Mark – and for £10M let’s get real – he’s not good enough and another player on over £60K a week But news today that Bolotn boss Gary Megson would want £20M for the player – now that Arsenal may be interested. Is Gary being cheeky or is Gary being cheeky?
- Geremi – not a player for Alan Shearer and if Alan has talked to Bobby Robson, no doubt Bobby will have told him the story two years ago, that the word on Geremi was thta he had lost his legs, and couldn’t hack it anymore. But we are Newcastle, and we still went in and got him as a free agent. At the time it seemed a good deal, but another player not worth the £60K/week we pay him.
- Alan Smith – injured too much and far too expensive at £60K/week, Never scored a goal yet for Newcastle but was signed as striker , but has been used in midfield by Shearer. He may be kept by the boss because of his fighting spirit but not good enough for £60K/week. He could stay if takes a 50% cut in wages – fighting spitit alone is not worth the money.
- Jonas Gutierrez – we’re a little unsure of Jonas but he probably wants to leave in the summer, and if that’s the case don’t stand in his way. He reminds us too much of Temuri Ketsbaia – and seems to run around like a headless chicken. And he certainly cannot score goals for toffee, and has missed some sitters, especially against Hull away – and that could have saved us. We’ve shelled out £5M for him as well – but not a stayer – there are better players out there.
Those are the main ones to unload for the reasons stated.
A rough estimate of those 10 players wages is about £570K/week, which is about £30M/year, so if Mike unloads this lot, the club will be in so much better shape with the wages, and we’ll not even see headlines of Newcastle players in jail.
Notice Oba Martins is not there, and he’s one player we’d like to see kept – or loaned out for a season. And we should pay Bassong what we were paying Coloccini and the lad may even stay – although we really doubt it, but if he does – that would be fantastic!.
Not it’s your turn – comments always welcome.