A New Newcastle Squad Is Big Part Of The Negotiations

We are learning a little more of what happened at yesterday’s meeting which went on for around 8 hours, but Alan was in talks only with Derek Llambias, Newcastle’s Managing Director.

alan-shearer-r-001

Alan Shearer – wants to completely reshape squad

Apparently there is a lot of bargaining and discussion going on in these talks and it may still be some time before Alan signs on the bottom line – but we would hope that can be done by Friday evening at the latest.

Alan emerged yesterday from the negotiations at 4:30 pm, and  he looked very relaxed and smiling as he signed autographs for the waiting fans.

A source,who is close to the talks told the Guardian:

Talks are ongoing but there could still be a way to go before an agreement is signed,” “Alan is desperate to help Newcastle and take on the job because of his love of the club.”

Shearer is very concerned about the current squad, which is not equipped to deal with the different style of play in the Championship, where power and pace are what we need – and we have little of that – right now we have no pace and puff pastry players.

But as we reported yesterday Shearer wants Ashley to invest a further sum of around £15M-£20M on new players and a total investment of £30M. or so the Guardian is reporting. That may prove to be a tough call for Mike, especially in the downturn of the economy.

The source added:

“The state of the squad is part of the negotiations,” “It desperately needs reshaping and freshening. The Championship is about pace and power and the squad doesn’t have a lot of that.”

The club should get some incoming funds from selling the 12 or so players that will be leaving the club, although some of them (Viduka, Owen, Cacapa, Edgar, Lovenkrands) are free agents.

Whether the £30M is on top of the money Alan can get from these transfers – we just don’t know right now – but Alan seems to be on the right track as far as getting in players who can immediately compete in the Championship.

And it seems like – not surprisingly, Alan wants to replace Chris  Hughton and Colin Calderwood with former Assistant Manager John Carver and former player Rob Lee. A little bit of a Newcastle connection there, and that will help the club – big time.   Seems like the team will be Shearer, Dowie, Ferris, Carver and Lee – looks good to us!

We expect Richard Money to stay in charge of the Newcastle Youth Academy, which will become even more important under Alan.

Maybe Gary Speed will come on board when we are back in the Premier League. 😀

Let’s hope Alan and his staff are in place by the end of the week, and then the club can take the next step forward – which has to be within an overall policy to get the club back to greatness.

• Aussie Magpie Fan

May 28, 2009 at 1:19 AM

I really hope we get more $$ for our players that will be leaving than I believe they are worth.. I have been reading that once they are all sold we will get amounts around the 30million dollar mark…. As far as I’m concerned, I wouldn’t be surprised if we had to pay other clubs to take these rubbish players off our hands. A friend of mine asked me “are there any players that you hope you don’t lose”.. My response was “apart from maybe two or three players ( S Taylor, Bassong and Beye) – we can dump the whole lot of them and start a fresh”. Maybe getting relegated could be the catalyst for something good to finally happen to this club.. Bring on the hungry youngsters we have waiting in the wings..

• chuck

May 28, 2009 at 2:35 AM

After watching the playoff be tween Sheffield and Burnley, it became obvious it`s a different game, based mostly on power and speed.
    Reminds me of the Spanish conversation I overheard years ago while watching Scotland playing Spain, Muy fuerte pero no tecnico, describing the Scots team.
    That`s what we have to contend with next season.The old English style played in all divisions not that many years ago.
    Aint gonna be pretty but thats what we gotta deal with, it`s going to be a tough road back and
    take a young physical team to deal with both the
    pace and power of the division.
    Good luck Al. don`t envy your task, it will be the experience all Pl managers should go through, a proving ground so to speak.

• baro

May 28, 2009 at 3:04 AM

• ginkoh

May 28, 2009 at 4:29 AM

If I’m not wrong, I remember we got some millions profit in last 2 transfer windows, didn’t we ?

• tripp

May 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM

Aussie, I agree, though I think Gutherie is worth keeping as well. I doubt we’ll keep Bassong, sadly. Though we certainly could, being that he is undercontract. Brum did that with Larrson, who apparently wanted away. They simply said ‘no’. End of story. If Enrique can contain Lennon he’ll eat up the championship wingers. I wonder if we’ll keep him. Most the squad needs to be shipped out, there’s no doubting that. I wonder how much we’ll end up saving in wages. Anybody know what the typical championship wage is? 3K /wk? More? less?

• serene0380

May 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM

Mike Ashley

Just listen to what Alan Shearer instructions.
    Just assist him on the financial side.
    I believe he will help the club fight back into the Premium League in one year time!

• sirjasontoon

May 28, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I am worride about “Seems like the team will be Shearer, Dowie, Ferris, Carver and Lee – looks good to us! ”
    I think we need to move away from the historical/ old pals act.

I also fear we are again wasting time and will end up in more of a mess if we don’t speed up and make some forward steps soon.

• Micky Toon

May 28, 2009 at 9:21 AM

SJT – I understand what you are saying, but who would you have instead? I’m talking realistic targets here. No top manager would come to a Championship side. So forget Sven, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Houlier, etc.. and think about the likes of Alan Curbishley, Paul Jewel, etc..

However, the one stand out name that no one, not one person has mentioned that we could attract would be Chris Coleman. What do you all think about that?

• pickard

May 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM

“I think we need to move away from the historical/ old pals act.”

Fair comment. But nor should we avoid ‘old pals’ simply because they are old pals. Carver has got a lot of experience and was well respected before; same for Ferris. Dowie has experience of the Championship, which only leaves Rob Lee.

And if “bleeding black and white” is part of the equation, he’s certainly getting off to a good start.

Although whether they actually come to any agreement may be a different matter 🙂

Which reminds me – I heard that the reason for the delay is they’ve called in a solicitor to witness Mike Ashley’s will. Shearer said he wanted £100m for transfer funds, Ashley said “over my dead body”, and Shearer said “if that’s what it takes…”.

• nufcben

May 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM

im not sure but didnt mike ashley pay off all the debts newcastle owed so surely apart from running costs (which by the end of the month im guessin will be dramaticaly reduced with the departure by the “big” names) so other than bein a tight fisted git theres no reason why he shudnt invest

baro that list is good but there suggestin that were tryin to replace players like beye and bassong , also emere was mentiond who hasnt been at the club 4 a while ???? still i think that team would be brilliant if we got em in

• Ericles

May 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I have noticed that we have some young ones out on under-19 and under-21 internationals in up coming days and weeks. That must be a good sign. What is wrong with having the likes of Rob Lee etc on board. We need them for their commitment – whether “bleeding black and whites” or “black and white bleeders”!

• sahota

May 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM

@sirjasontoon
    I think everything will be sorted before end of this week. These things do take time. Shearer won’t want to agree on something which he not comfortable with. And is as everyone is saying, they are discussing transfer targets etc then defo it will take time to agree. And I have read that you are not sure about Shearer. Same is true with everyone. But only time will tell if he is good or bad. You can not judge him with crap players in team. He just took charge for 8 games because he was very concerned about our situation. Nobody would have come at that stage. Here are few things which are on Shearer side:
    1. Fans will be bit patient and will support the tam.
    2. Ticket sales will not be doing down by huge amount.
    3. Having Shearer will make sure that Mike invests into club. As Shearer won’t sign till he is sure of his role and investment.
    4. Players will love to join our team because of Shearer.
    5. We won’t need to change our manager if we are promoted. That will mean a lot in case we do get promoted in next 1-2 years.

These are just my thoughts, I think we just need to be bit patient and hope Shearer signs and then see how Shearer does with team of his choice. As far as experience is concerned, Shearer is not fool, he will have people around him who have enough experience to assist him.

So just show bit of faith in him for time being, otherwise we will be once again unstable and fighting for our lives in championship

• Tom_Toon