Shearer Testing Commitment And Resources Of Mike Ashley

Another day has gone by in the negotiations between Alan Shearer and the Newcastle hierarchy, and while both parties seem to want an agreement, Alan seems to be testing the commitment and resources of Mike Ashley to the Newcastle club, before he will sign on the bottom line.

Alan Shearer – tough negotiator

However,  we understand the negotiations are going fairy well, and that both sides seem upbeat as they work through the many items  Alan wants to talk about before reaching the very last item – sign the contract.

This shouldn’t really been seen as too bad, well not at this point, because let’s face it the club is a in a bad way – and when critics come on this site – and say we are utterly hopeless – it’s hard to make a good case against them – but doesn’t stop us trying. D

The Newcastle Journal, who rather disappointingly are reporting the Keith Harris nonsense from yesterday, even though he has already denied it – have an insider familiar with the Shearer talks who told them:

“The process is continuing. Both parties are interested in getting something resolved as soon as possible but there are plenty of things to talk about,”

“Talks haven’t broken down, there’s been no disagreement, the situation hasn’t really changed. Talks are continuing.”

As we mentioned last night, we would hope they can reach agreement before the end of the week – because we have lots of new players to get in – and we are finding out – quickly – there seems to be some very good young lads in the lower leagues, who may just want to join the Shearer revolution at the new Newcastle United.

Shearer of course is playing a very strong hand in the negotiations card game, and he’s doing what he feels this club needs – a complete overhaul – and investments are needed to allow that to happen.

Two ways to think of relegation:

• A massive tragedy and embarrassment for the Newcastle club – and a huge dent in our world-wide image and reputation
  • A huge opportunity to overhaul Newcastle United into a new era, where we will become a well-run club (yes – a well run club – that’s not a typo)  that other players will be happy to join

Both are true of course, and since the first has already happened – and we are on the elevator (lift) down to the Championship, Alan is working hard to put the second on the right tracks before we arrive at the next floor down.

Sufficient Transfer funds and effective player recruitment this summer are both key to Shearer’s vision for the club. That sounds exactly like two items that could turn the club around quickly – but our hopes cannot be too high – well not yet anyway.

Shearer will be ruthless as he culls the current playing squad, which will live in infamy at this club – and rightly so. The 3rds highest played squad in the Premier League finished 3rd bottom – and that tells a story – and not a pleasant one.

Shearer is making the point that the fire sale could be difficult as he attempts to sell at least 11 players – and in order to do the outgoing and ingoing negotiation in parallel – he need up front funds from Mike – so he doesn’t have to wait to sell before he can buy.

Good clear thinking from Alan and his team – especially when there is only one month to go before pre-training starts up. 🙁

Alan is coming over as very thorough before he takes the reigns and it looks like John Carver and Rob Lee are two coaches he wants in – and we would not be at all surprised if that happens – so he’ll have a strong team, along with Paul Ferris and Iain Dowie.

Shearer, Dowie, Ferris and Carver seems a much better team than Kinnear, Hughton and Calderwood.  And there’s been no mention of Joe at all, so we expect he’s been taken care of  financially by Ashley, and trust he is recovering form his heart surgery – we may put out an article on Joe soon.

Kinnear has lots of contacts in the Championship, so we assume that knowledge is now in the hands of Alan and his team right now. We still have a warm place in our heart for Joe, who did his utmost for the  club last season.

And if Iain Dowie stays on Tyneside, he’s going to be ecstatic again – even though the two failed to save us from relegation – when just 2 wins in 8 games would have been enough- in retrospect.  His experience in the Championship with Crystal Palace will help us enormously for next season.

We’ll have to be a little patient this week – as we’ve asked to be – as Alan tries to start to repair our decimated and devastated football club.

• Natureboy95

May 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM

1st ….I hope things are going alright, i was starting to worry alittel bit after another day of talks, god the club must be in a state!!

• Micky Toon

May 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM

What everyone will have to remember is that the club are not just going to have to deal with Shearer’s demands, but they still have a manager and coaching staff on their books. They need to work out how to move these guys on with the minimal of fuss and minimal payments.
    I can imagine Shearer is wanting some sort of guarantee from Ashley on investment and control over the 1st team affairs, and he wants it in the form of a legal document. I know I would.
    The control over the 1st team is probably a given, but the investment is harder to agree to.
    Personally I think we’d be stupid to pay Shearer £4m a year in wages. Perhaps MA thinks so too and he is looking to stagger Shearer’s payments. Let’s say he’s on only £2m (I know only) a year for now and will get bonuses and a pay rise if we are promoted. That makes sense and if and it’s a big IF Shearer can’t accept that then we should look elsewhere. No one is bigger than the club.
    Anyway that’s all just my speculation and is probably way off.

• Micky Toon

May 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Excuse my blog etiquette. I forgot to say 1st, now 2nd, but this might actually be 3rd.

• Toon_Factor

May 28, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I wish they could sort everything out and start looking to buy players. Loan out Sebastian Leto from Liverpool, hes a bit like Jonas with an end product, he could be a great signing, hes on loan at Olympiacos at the moment but Rafa might want him to get used to English football, he will be brilliant in the championship

• ginkoh

May 28, 2009 at 9:36 AM

As fast as we reach to agreement mean we have more time to prepare for the hard competition in Championship.

• lesh

May 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Severe flood warning for NW Engalnd

The cause? Thousands of scousers p*****g themselves laughing last night!

• Stuart79

May 28, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Both Shearer and Ashley know that if you let 15 players go they need to be replaced. But Ashley hasn’t got the money to provide that.

The club will be sold! This is damage limitation for Ashley I think.

If we don’t get players in once we have let all these players go we could well go down again. Where does that leave Ashley’s wallet?

• Mikey25

May 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I’m glad they’re both taking their time and looking into every nook and cranny before commiting! Championship ain’t gonna be an easy ride and we are gonna need money to buy a full squad from top to bottom!
    We need to get Nacho signed up for 25million straight away cos he is a god and he will save us on his own……just messin :p
    Ship out the old, bring in the new around a team of current players who deserve to wear the kit! We need to hit the ground running cos its going to be a very very long season with extra cup qualifying matches and dirty hard fought league games! Can’t wait to see how some of the kids fair, hope Shearer is going to utilise them

• Hugh de Payen

May 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I would imagine getting the promise of funds from Ashley is a sticking point.

I fully understand that he needs to make cuts as a result of relegation but he also needs to reinvest to chase promotion.

If Shearer can bargain by promising to cut the operational costs (wage bills, unnecessary back room staff etc) then maybe Ashley will be prepared to front the money for transfers.

Timing issues will be a problem though. What if Shearer buys but then can’t sell the big wage earners who might hold the club to their contracts?

There’s also the pressure of having to act fast with the Championship transfer season already well under way and training due to begin on 1st July.

I can see why negotiations are taking some time.

• geordie deb

May 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Mickey Toon

Agree. I’m sure there are a lot of complex negotiations going on due to the huge changes that need to be made and the complexity of the current situation.
    Two points – does anyone know what qualifies Rob Lee (as great a player as he was) to join the Newcastle staff apart from being Alan’s best mate? Does he have his coaching badges etc?
    Second, just saw a short clip of an interview carried out with FFS earlier in the week after we were relegated and he had the audacity to say everything was fine and hunky dory when he left the club – the sheer gall of the man. He clearly accepts no part in his contribution to our downfall

May 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Well in a way im happy it is taking this long-if only the KK/Ashley negotiations had been to this depth.
    We know what the sticking points will be-Al will want a transfer budget up front which he completely controls-Ashley will want to wait for player sales and will want that daft system where the Manager hands over a list of players which they can effectively pick and choose from.

• Stuart79

May 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

If Shearer walks away from these talks my season ticket is going straight back with a bit of my dog’s turd on it!

I trust Shrearer and if he stays I look forard if he doesn’t there is a good reason behind it!

• nufc1818

May 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM

anyone know if shearer is at the traning ground todayy ?

• Whumpie

May 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Yep, I’m also glad it’s taking time – it smacks of thoroughness and getting the job done, not of problems.

That said, I think they need to make an announcement today – even if it’s just “all going well, be patient”.

• ArtyH

May 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM

From other sources ” the sale of players should yield £30m ” , there is a parachute payment of £30m, and Ashley should invest at least £20m which he promised when he took over. So £80m would be a good starting point for rebuilding a half decent team. If I was Alan Shearer that would be an absolute minimum part of the negotiations or like KK I would walk away. I still do not have any faith in the Ashley administration and think there will be a twist in the tale before the start of the new season. IMHO I am looking for a takeover/sale or whatever to get ride of the ineptitude prevailing at the club, I believe that is what is taking the time with Shearers negotiations, he wants to be sure things are going to be workable and someone will be accountable.

• geordie deb

May 28, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Arty H

They’re not going to spend 80 million rebuilding the team!

• Paul141726

May 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Agree with Geordie Deb-NO WAY will 80 mill be spent on the playing squad. Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t we receive 30 million as a parachute payment by being relegated? I know that’s a lot, but a far cry from the 100 or so million teams get for remaining in the prem. I am confident SOME of this will be used for players but anything else will have to come from the sale of current players. Boy I hate using that cliche. How many of our current squad are going to use this tactic (thru their agents) ‘ I’ve got a contract with you and you should honor it’. Oh how I want NUFC (or any other team) to use this when a player WANTS to leave. Then the shoe is on the other foot!

• Little Willie

May 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry.

• Ross

May 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM

80 million? lol, you’d struggle to spend 80 million in the championship

• Paul141726

May 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I think 30 million from the sale of players is overly optomistic. Those that are sold will go at cut-rate prices because of what they showed during the last season. I think someone, somewhere, stated we could get 7-8 million for Collocini. Rubbish, I think. But stranger things have happened>

• Stuart79

May 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Parachute payment is 12m

• Geordie_Craig

May 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I thought the parachute payment was over 2 seasons… and was only activated if we don’t come up within 2 seasons.. Therefore we wont see any of that 30 million till at least 2 seasons. I may be talking utter bull.. but im sure i have read/heard this somewhere

• AndyT

May 28, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Parachute payment is paid over first 2 seasons. I think the first 12 million is paid this year, and then about 11 or 12 next season…if we’re still in the Championship, which we all hope isn’t the case.

• Nick D

May 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM

less of the ”we” please Ed.
    I couldn’t stick kinnear. Nolan and r taylor sum him up.
    Same with Butt and Duff, time to leave. the gravy train aint running any more.

• toonluvva

May 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM

The length of time that it’s taking for the confirmation (or not) of Big Al is actually quite disturbing for 2 reasons to me.
    First I recall that after KK left at the beginning of the season there was that he is/might/is not coming back period that seemed to last a while.
    Second if Big Al is battling with MA when it must be obvious to even him what needs doing it makes me wonder if he really wants Big Al at all.
    Sorry to sound negative, but if Big Al is appointed, I am not sure how much backing he will get, not including getting MA to open his wallet.