Tim Krul Determined To Be Number One Goalkeeper Next Season

21 year-old Dutch goalkeeper Tim Krul is the latest player to pledge his future to Newcastle United, after Steven Taylor, Damien Duff  and Habib Beye have come out since Sunday and said they are going  nowhere.

Tim Krul – determined to be number 1 next season

And we understand Alan Shearer will meet with the agents of Seb Bassong today (that the schedule at least), and we should hear soon if the Frenchman is willing to stay at Newcastle.

If he is, that in itself will raise the spirits of the Newcastle faithful, who after Sunday’s surrender have been decimated and despondent about relegation.

Shay Given was only 21 when he came from Blackburn and started in the first team in the first game of the 997-1998 season, as first choice in the game against Sheffield Wednesday that we won 2-1 (I was at that game).

And while Steve Harper is one of the players Alan Shearer will look to for leadership next season, Alan has no favorites when it comes to team selection, as Michael Owen found out.

With Shay Given leaving in January, that has ended  Tim’s uncertainty about his future at the club, and quite honestly it wouldn’t surprise us too much if  at the end of the coming season, he’s number 1 at Newcastle.

Certainly 34 year-old Harper will be pushed hard next season by both Krul and Fraser Forster – two top-class  young  goalkeepers.

And the 21-year-old Dutch U21 International, who has been linked with Feyenoord and Chelsea in the past, has no plans at all now to leave Newcastle – a club he has openly said he just loves being a part of.

Tim talked from his home in the Netherlands yesterday, to the Evening Chronicle:

“I don’t see any reason to leave Newcastle United.” “Why should I?” “It’s my first priority to start the new campaign as first-choice goalkeeper.”

“I am willing to take up that challenge.” “We want to get back to the Premier League as soon as possible – and I hope to play a major part in it.”

Tim Krul also seems to have been mightily impressed by Alan Shearer during the last 8 games, even though Alan at the end of the day was unable to save the club from relegation.

Tim knows very well he will get a fair shake from the Geordie and England legend next season.

Tim talked about Alan:

“He has made every possible effort to avoid relegation.” “Shearer is a fine coach and a strong character that is above the squad.”

“I hope he will stay as at Newcastle.” “It was a dramatic finale to the season.” “We had realised for some time that  disaster could strike, but it’s a shame we have not been able to avoid the dreaded drop.”

“At half-time we were informed that a goal might do miracles, but, unfortunately, it was not to be.” “Relegation is a devastating blow to the club”

“I think Newcastle will have to start from scratch.” “Relegation did not come overnight. Four coaches were in charge here in one season, which speaks volumes.”

“Yet, at the end of the day, the squad is responsible.” “We have enough quality players, but somehow we never operated as a team.”

Good words from Tim, and it’s really good to hear our younger players talking to the press and committing themselves to the club.

Fraser Forster also recently signed an improved 5 year contract at the club, after Celtic had made a strong inquiry about the youngster.

Relegation of course offers these lads a much better chance to break through to the first team sooner than if we’d be in th Premier League.

We have to say we get the distinct impression that quite a few of our top young guns will take that opportunity with both feet next season. Hope so anyway.

• The Alchemist

May 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I still remember that game against Palmero. What a debut!

• Doocey

May 29, 2009 at 12:51 AM

The Alchemist // May 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I still remember that game against Palmero. What a debut!

Lordy , Lordy! Who’ll ever forget that?
    Even Luque scored in that one! Great cross from Jimmy Milner too! Ah good times.
    Especially his save from Simplicio , unbelievable!

• TheDan

May 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM

What a fantastic debut it was and in the days we roamed europe lol 😀

Just hope this lad is given a chance like most of our other youth, although i do think we need some senior players that the younger one’s can learn from. Nolan for example.

• Yorick Hunt

May 29, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Aye

• Tom1664

May 29, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Absolute gem of a performance against Palermo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR0B84kUf8Q). Just hope he gets his chance to shine for the first team this year.

• Tom_Toon

May 29, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Nolan is awful, he can go.

They can learn from Butt.

• Tom_Toon

May 29, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Forster aint signed anything yet as it would’ve been mentioned on the official site, which it hasn’t.

• sirjasontoon

May 29, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Got loads of Time for Krul and looking forward to seeing him push Harper next season.

Great attitude and model young pro.

• SuperShearer

May 29, 2009 at 9:07 AM

He’s got to be our Number 1 next season. Harper doesn’t look even half the player he was when Given was here pushing him for the jersey.

• Whumpie

May 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Great lad; and another big boost to hear his continued support for the club.

And does anyone remember his post-match interview after his debut?

One word, over and over again:

“Unbelievable”

He was so buzzed, bless ‘im. Classic telly.

• Johann

May 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

SuperShearer
    Damn I agree

I thought I´d never say it but I must look through my liking of Harper. I like him as a character and a good keeper. I thought he was fantastic when he replaced Given but towards the end of the season he disappointed me and I must be honest and not look on in blindness like many did with Given when he was doing very little for the team.

So in my reckon we should just sell him. He probably deserves his chance now but the best thing for the team is to put all our trust on Forster and Krul. Maybe hold Harper untill January not sure but I think this is a great chance for Krul to step in with Forster as backup. Then we Sodeberg as well.

I wouldn´t actually cry if Harper stayed but I think this is the best thing for the future at least. But Harper might as well prove me wrong and have a fantastic season but I say it again very disappointed with his performance in the relegation battle.

• babelfish

May 29, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Harper has been No.2 for so long I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays and fights for his place. The only thing that worries me with Harper is the lack of ambition (or willingness to take a risk with his career) he has shown throughout his career. He had plenty of opportunities to move on and make a name for himself at another club (and possibly get into the england squad) but has never taken it. If he stays at NUFC then I think an england call-up gets further away. Get himself a move to a prem club as a no.1 and some good performances next season could see him go to the world cup. But he probably won’t do that as he is comfortable at NUFC. I wonder how much he has earned during his long stay with us compared to number of games played.?

• Tom_Toon