Class Act Shearer Sets The Record Straight – What Demands?

We have to be very careful about stories that are floated in the press, because they may well be politically motivated and try to shift blame (responsibility), for the terrible situation Newcastle now find themselves in.

alan-shearer-123786546

Alan Shearer – he seems to have lost some hair these last 8 weeks 😀

We are not being too outspoken when we say that Mike Ashley this last week has looked like a bumbling idiot once more

And today Alan Shearer has talked to Sky Sports – and said he has made no demands on Newcastle in discussions regarding the club’s managerial post.

Ashley says he is keen to bring in the former England and Newcastle great, but if that’s the case why isn’t he signed  right now?    We think those little stories Mike put out are a smokescreen, because for some reason Ashley is holding back.

Mike should get some idea form the would-be buyers their thoughts on Alan as manager – and we’d be really surprised if they didn’t want him to lead Newcastle back to the Premier League, and hopefully future greatness.

That’s the very least the long suffering Newcastle fans deserve.

Alan and his Assistant manager Iain Dowie held talks with owner Mike Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias, but no decisions hve yet been made on which policies to pursue – it’s a pity Mike cannot seem to make decisions – even when they are tough – that’s what good leaders must do.

Multiple reports  over the weekend  suggested that Shearer was demanding big wages (£2.5M), and a multi-million-pound-transfer budget (up to £20M),  and Ashley said he was reluctant to do that – and that Alan would need to look again at the demands he was making on the club.

And the whole thing  has again been thrown into turmoil by Ashley suddenly putting the club up for sale – again on a Saturday night – why he does that we have no idea – maybe so it makes the Sunday papers next day.

The process has also been thrown into doubt following the news that Ashley is keen to sell the club as soon as possible.

Shearer, though, insists everything is going to plan and has completely denied the reports he may have delayed progress at the club:

“I met Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward,”

“I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premiership whilst building solid foundations for the future.”

“I fully understand Mike Ashley’s decision to sell the club as he feels it’s now in the best interest of the club and the fans.” “I hope to know more by the end of the week.”

If  Newcastle fans hadn’t realized it already this man is a class act, and will not get involved in any mud-slinging in the Press.

We remember when he captained England, and was put under tremendous pressure by the ridiculous English football media – totally unjustified, and not once did he lose his cool – which annoyed the reporters even more!

As we said this man is a class act – and another reason why he would instantly restore the pride to Newcastle United Football Club.

One thing is for sure – no player will be signed in the summer – who doesn’t agree to give his blood for this team next season  – after the puff pastry players we had representing us last season.

Come on Ashley – get off your behind and appoint Alan Shearer as manager NOW – show some leadership – so Alan and his team can start doing real work at the club, before you take us even lower than we are right now.

We’ve had enough!

• Tino 11

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

1st !

• Kurt

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Hope next week will be a good one. Need some positive news now.

• Girth

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM

anyone see that financial expert or whatever he was on the news outside st james? said two things:
    that we will be taken over by a foreign investor(s), and
    that the process will probably take around 3-4 months…..
    great!

• Natureboy95

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM

My only thoughts on this are that ashley must have an idea who he is going to sell to, and they have agreed to have shearer has manager, anything else doesn’t seem to make sense, why sign up a manager who may make decisions that new owners may not want? anyone else shine any light on this?

• Tom4Nufc

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Brilliant News! I think Shearer knows something about the take-over otherwise he would have walked if he was left out in the cold!

• Hugh de Payen

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I’m sick to death of this whole Ashley business to be honest.

I mean, he’s not evil. I think he was trying to make a success of it – why wouldn’t he? It’s a lot of money to invest after all and whichever way you look at it a successful NUFC would have benefited him.

I think he just bit off more than he could chew and, as he said, he didn’t know how to run a football club and made some dreadful decisions.

What concerns me most now is next season and getting prepared for it.

• Wigaz

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM

At Last the voice of reason emerges from the idiots squaking. This man is a class act & will be a top class manager. Even Fergie & Wenger would have struggled to get those bunch of useless twats to put in a performance! you heard duff, some didn’t care. Hope you right Tom lad, at the moment it’s a shambles but if come start of the season we have no owner’s with £££ to pump in & Shearer at the helm, i’ll be happy with that. Fingers well & truly crossed.

• Tino 11

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I think Shearer would attract good players in the premiership, from europe and beyond, but i doubt he will know where to begin to look for players who we will need to help us in the ccc. I just hope we have decent scouts and good people along side him.

• hitman

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:56 PM

lads these shearer wage demands come from a source close to ashley ,shock horror .lol

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Stardust the oh mighty will not be happy with that statement Ed!

• VanCanToonFan

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Sam Allardyce was signed as manager one week before Ashley bought the club, but he was sacked at least in part because he wasn’t Ashley’s choice.

If the club is well and truly on the market and priced for a quick sale, then there is no point signing Shearer, unless it is for a short-term, let’s-get-through-the-summer type of contract.

• Natureboy95

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM

i’m with you hugh,i’m not totally against ashley, he’s come out and said that he has made mistakes in the past which everybody has agreed with but i would’ve been prepared for him to stay and try get us back up with shearer at the helm, to show he’s learnt from his mistakes and give the club some stability. obviously he’s relaised how much money is needed,which he hasn’t got, and how little he knows about the football business.

• So-Cal Toon

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I was fortunate ( or not so furtunate)to see every game this year between the two U.S. Football Channels. I am sure an occasional game will be shown but week in week out is there a good internet site to see the games on?

• chuck

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:08 PM

C`mon Ed. getting a bit carried away again.
    Yeah Shearer was a great goalscoring striker, who gave up the choice of silverware with Man. U. to play for his hometown club.
    It`s remarkable and a credit to him , that he made that decision.
    However he is not the second coming and still an unknown factor as a manager.
    Yes I believe he is a name that can attract players to the team, not an easy job in a lower league .
    Is he a good judge of horseflesh (playing talent), is he tactically aware, his recent stint does`nt show much of either, tactics, team shape and player choice, nor getting players up for the struggle.
    It`s nice that someone, a local hero, someone who we believe has the best interests of the club at heart is about to take charge, but as stated he is still an unknown factor as a manager, what if he falls flat on his face, what do we do then?
    Look for a new messiah ?

• mitchc

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Totally agree ED Shearer is class he can handle the media so well which is exactly what we need he is going to be such a good manager people go on about experience but hasn’t a certain young manager just won the champions league

• AndyT

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM

i was so relieved when this news came out. It did make me a little sad when I saw it on the SkySports’ Championship page though. Relegation is so real.
    Regardless, for Shearer to come out and quash all that nonsense about demanding ridiculous amounts of money made me so much more hopeful. It never sounded right to any real fan anyway. Hopefully they’re just talking to the prospective buyers to make sure that they’re on board with Shearer being the manager. It’s every decent fan’s best case scenario, so why somebody would be against that is completely beyond me! I just hope we don’t get another idiot. PLEASE!

• Hugh de Payen

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Chuck, I think if Shearer can’t handle it he’ll be the first to admit it.

I must admit, I do worry about his lack of experience but, then again, experienced managers have failed plenty times and inexperienced managers have prospered.

The important thing as far as I’m concerned is that whoever gets the job is given time, in terms of seasons not in terms of weeks or months.

• Tino 11

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM

chuck – i agree with some of that. I want Shearer to be a success, but maybe it would be best if he manages somewhere before coming back to us. I want him to acheieve something at a lower club (lower than us even!), then manage us. Imagine he is appointed manager now and it doesn’t work out, his hometown club, he’d probab;y pack management in for good and that would be a waste.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Ed your last comment sums up my feeling in 4 words “WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH” Mr Ashley get off your ar*e & appoint Shearer as manager now

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM

All this crap about SHeare not being experienced enough for us. Keegan hadn’t managed anywhere before his 1st stint with us & apart from Sir Bobby we’ve had experienced managers like Daglish, Gullit & Kinnear who have failed. So just give the jhob to Shearer he really wants it & he believes he can be a success give him 4 years I’m sure he’ll be successful

• Rodzilla

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Nile Ranger scores again……………..

(U19s 65mins…..)

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM

We never really thought Shearer would demand this and demand that did we?

He certainly would have wanted to have certain things in place but I think his wages were probably the last thing on his mind!

• Hugh de Payen

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM

To be honest I wasn’t even bothered if Shearer was making wage demands.

He deserves to get paid for doing the job and I reckon his salary should be commensurate with the higher earning players at the club.

I would, however, like to see both his and players’ wages at least partly performance-related.

• Rodzilla

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Nathan Delfouneso looks like a right little cracker, 18, left-footer, Villa youth product. Striker but looks like a fantastic left-winger too, amazing vision, great crosser.

….doubt he’d leave Villa for us though 🙁

• Rodzilla

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM

(I’m watching England U19s btw)

• Big Dave

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM

There is another good reason for getting Big Al atleast he is trying to keep us in the frame. Remember it started with BSA and the secrecy clause then KK was the same and with jokin joe we only heard what Ma and Dl wanted him to say. I dont think Al would sign 1

• Johno Toon

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM

whats this secrecy claue big dave? I never heard anything like

• Nobby_Long

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Ed,

Sometimes I get frustrated with the headlines on your articles, which can be a bit misleading, and I get a bit fed up with your constant support for Duff & the lambasting of Owen.

However, this is one article in which I fully support every word you have stated, and I salute you sir!

We all have some concerns about Shearer’s lack of experience, but deep down you just know he wants the best for the club and won’t rest until he gets it.

I for one fully support him, and think he need to be given the reins to show what he can do. Lets be honest, he can’t do much worse them some of the more lauded holders of the role of late.

Good on you Ed.

• Nobby_Long

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Rodzilla…….just seen the goals on Setanta….Nile Ranger slotted his goal very well, but did you see his first half miss?? i bet he wanted the ground to open up & swallow him…….good on him for getting the goal after that though.

how was his general play?

• Lew Davies

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Tino 11. bet you are over the moon at being first to post, perhaps you will be equally as keen to donate a small amount of cash to help keep the blog going?????

Hmmmm! perhaps not so keen afterall?

maybe just try growing up a little instead.

pathetic.

• Tino 11

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Lew – I’ve already donated thanks.

Who the fcuk are you?

• Rodzilla

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Nobby, didn’t see him on the ball too much mate tbh, but he showed great awareness, always getting into the right positions. His obvious physical presence is a bonus, and he can run too! It was Nathan Delfouneso that stole the show for me. Not much to report on Nile, but he scored (again) which is more that could be said for the majority of our seniors. Martins would’ve skied his goal into row Z.

• Tino 11

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM

How long a contract is Ranger on?

Bet someone comes sniffing!

• Nobby_Long

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Rodzilla – no doubt about Martins……why can’t he understand that sometimes you have to caress the ball into the net ???

Treat the ball like a lady………no don’t go there…

Wish I’d watched the game……

• Rodzilla

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Tino, according to nufc.com he’s contracted ’til 06.2012 – not that contracts seem to hold much water these days. He’ll be blooded-in this coming season, I’m sure.

…and Nobby, yeah, I raved on about Martins before we signed him but it now seems like he’s just a one-dimensional super-sub type. I agree with you agreeing with Ed too!

You’ll always get the Devil’s Advocate crowd playing the ‘experience’ card whenever Shearer as manager is mentioned. The harsh reality is, I’m afraid to say, this club currently has ‘special needs’ – and requires appropriate tutelage from top to bottom. You wouldn’t employ a Professor of Psychology to teach at an infant school – and I’m afraid that’s where we are now. I see an AS appointment as the means to a club shake-up first and foremost, managerial duties will follow on from that.

Shearer is No 1 choice for me, to get us out of this mess. Let’s not forget, he’s a fan first, but also a fan who knows how this club works from the inside – and because of that he knows what needs to be fixed, and we as fellow fans should be pretty damn happy if he DOES get the job – coz we’ll know that his terms are good.

There’s NO WAY he’d ever lose authority in the dressing room either; players respect him, and in due course want to perform at their very best for him. I could go on, but I’ll spare the monotony.

…he’s my first choice anyway. 🙂

• Nobby_Long

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Cheers Rodzilla……..lets see what tomorrow brings.

its very rarely dull isn’t it?

signing off

• Rodzilla

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM

…indeed. Another day, another episode of North Eastenders

• Rodzilla

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM

(although Eastenders is often dull – bad soap comparison on my part, change that to ‘Follyoaks’)

• workyticket

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Rod, the new blog is up properly now.

• Tom4Nufc