Butt Has No Regrets Joining Newcastle – Even With 7 Managers?

A good article in the Shields Gazette today, with Nicky Butt starting to put some respect back into the Newcastle club, by saying he has absolutely no regrets of  joining Newcastle,  from the phenomenally successful Manchester United in the summer of 2004.

nicky-butt-34

Nicky Butt – no regrets at all about joining Newcastle

Nicky Butt is said to have some regrets (don’t we all) about his very successful football career – but he insists joining Newcastle United is not one of them – good for him.

The midfielder , for the second time in his Newcastle career suffered for the second time relegation – he  was in Steve Bruce’s Birmingham side on loan when they were relegated a few seasons back.

That will become a good trick question – how many times did Nicky Butt suffer relegation while a Newcastle player?

The 34-year-old, who could become a vital cog in our midfield for Newcastle next season,  when Shearer (hopefully) will have everybody super-fit before the start of the season in early August, is quite clear he does not regret joining Newcastle.

“I’ve got plenty of regrets, like I regret I haven’t performed to the highest level all the time, but you can say that about every player that comes to the club,”   “But I’m happy I signed here – I wouldn’t have changed it for the world.”

“You can’t have regrets like ‘I should have done this, I should have done that’. I came here to play for a massive club, and I’ve done that. Hopefully, we can move on and rebuild.”

That quote will do no harm to our recruitment drive in the summer, and maybe he could persuade Paul Scholes to spend a year on Tyneside – he would be phenomenal for us in midfield in the Championship, and he wants more playing time next year – and will not get that at the Red Devils. But we admit that would b a hard sell to Paul.

It’s a good job that Nicky didn’t mention he has worked under 7 managers at Newcastle in the 5 years he has been here, plus Chris Hughton (that makes 8 really) for a while during the past season.

Nicky Butt recently signed a new one-year contract, and not surprisingly Alan Shearer – should he become permanent manager – sees him as a vital player for our drive towards promotion next season.

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I regret Shepherd insisting on us buying him rather than letting Sir Bobby sign that young lad from West Ham he wanted instead.

• Foluwashola Ameobi

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Reo-Coker?

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Michael Carrick.

• Johno Toon

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM

And its funny rangerman how some people would rather sheppard than ashley…..

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I’d rather have Ben Shepherd than Ashley!

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Johno Toon – We need someone in the middle, someone who will spend his own money on transfers and not run the club up with huge debts while filling his own pockets with dividends.

• The Alchemist

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I wouldn’t have any regrets either if i was on 60k a week even though i have no pace and cant even pass the ball ten yards!

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Rangerman // Jun 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Well the next owner will have a clean slate, no debts and a sh1t squad.

They won’t have any excuses for not spending money like Ashley had.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Ed – ignore the bashers on here, this article hits the point: that we need people like Butt saying stuff like this publicly right now.

People need to realise that sniping from fans is counter-productive. We need to set our our stall here, as a club someone would want to buy into. Having well-known and respected players saying stuff like this makes a quick sale that little bit more likely.

By the way – is it just me who’d rather have local owners with a few hundred million to their names, than some arab with billions?

• Davies

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Just read an article where NUSC have released a statement urging any prospective new owners to “engage with the fans at the earliest opportunity”.

Having seen the way the fas behave when things don’t go our way, I’d do my level best to avoid them. I know NUSC aren’t the rent-a-mob that usually turn up for the cameras eveytime the shit his the fan on Tyneside, but they will always be associated by cause.

If I was a potential buyer of any football club, I’d avoid the one where fans think they should have a say in the running of your asset.

If I was NUSC, I’d pipe down until a deal is done, rather than risk souring it with demands.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Right now I’d settle for just about any owner who isn’t a total tool. But I don’t want to be another Citeh or Chelski. Why?

1. Because we won’t be cast aside like a (bankrupt) plaything when they get bored.

2. Because I don’t want anyone telling me that our first trophy in 40-odd years was “bought”.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Davies – dead right. I don’t have a problem with NUSC, but we need to be playing down the ‘fan power’ right now.

• Davies

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Whumpie, with you on that mate. Too many oil billionaires looking to increase their stock. It used to be race horses.

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Well the next owner will have a clean slate, no debts and a sh1t squad.

They won’t have any excuses for not spending money like Ashley had.

………..

There excuse is that the club is hemoraging money.

• Johno Toon

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Righly pointed out for all ashleys good intentions if he had put in a bit extra we would of stayed up and we wouldnt be where we are ,

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Alchemist: yeah, ‘cos being rich completely takes away your human nature and makes you happy no matter what.

I hate that envy-driven drivel. I don’t particularly rate Butt’s passing either – but don’t question his character. He’s a battler who would never do or say anything to cast his club in a bad light.

This is a brave statement to make and we should be grateful to anyone prepared to give us some positive column-inches right now.

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Spot on, Davies.

If I was a billionaire interested in buying a football club I think I would avoid the one who’s fans stage boycotts, protests and marches at every opportunity.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Yep, Johno – I really can’t get my head around how he made any money. People who think like he did normally restrict their business interactions to “would you like fries with that?”

• reetpetite

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM

whumpie- agree with your points regarding billionaires. On saturday i must have seen loads of blokes in chelsea tops on my way home. 6 or 7 years ago they would have been rarer than a good oasis album. The billionaire owners buy success and fair weather fans like your own ryantoon(who has now disapeared). I look forward to the day when abramovich buggers off and leaves chelsea on the brink of closure . 10 years ago they had no history. Now they have bought 10 years worth.

• Johno Toon

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Im going to rob that line on you whumpie! that is classic! hahaha

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Rangerman // Jun 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Well the next owner will have a clean slate, no debts and a sh1t squad.

They won’t have any excuses for not spending money like Ashley had.

………..

There excuse is that the club is hemoraging money.

As was Manchester City and Chelsea. I know their PL teams but still the same.

Both them clubs depend on their owners, just like we would do.

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Ashley’s business plan for Sports Direct is awesome to be fair to him and the other sportswear chains can’t compete with him.

I think he bought the club with the best intentions, found out how much it was losing and was open to selling from the very beginning, while waiting to get rid he planned on pulling the clubs finances around with as little expenditure from his own pocket as he could, then all of the fuss with Keegan blew up and there was never going to be a way back after that.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I’d rather be mid-table with the occasional shot at a cup, than buy our way to the top. End of.

Surely there must be businessmen in the North East who can put together the £100m or so needed? They could probably raise £10m offering a buy-in to fans. I’d stick in a few hundred if I could get it past the missus.

After all, this is a very good investment right now: a reasonable chance of the club being worth £300m in 3 years, for an investment of half that now? Can any other club boast that?

• beyethegreat

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM

reetpetite

whats the matter with you youre being nice lol

but i agree about chelsea there is even the odd chelsea fan near where i live like you said 6 or 7 years ago there were non

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

As was Manchester City and Chelsea. I know their PL teams but still the same.

Both them clubs depend on their owners, just like we would do.

……….

Lets hope we get someone who’s as rich as those then and not some consortium with shallow pockets.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Rangerman – sounds about right to me. I don’t think he’s this devil-worshipping sabotteur people make him out as. Just someone who started to believe his own hype, got cocky and has got utterly stuffed as a result.

I think those apologies are genuine, and he is a very miserable, humiliated individual at the moment.

There was an article over the weekend with a title that punned on ‘Berk’ because of his house in Berkshire.

One thing they didn’t go with was the origin of the insult “berk”.

It was rhyming slang.

Berkshire Hunt.

Honest.

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Liverpool were sold for £300m and I can’t see us being worth what they are anytime soon.

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Whumpie // Jun 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

You are normally one of the sane on here but have you been on the lager in the garden this aft?

I’m sorry but I want to win the league, Champiosn league and FA Cup.

The nly way thatwill happen is if we have a mega rich owner to bank roll us. I would n’t care one iota if anyone said we bought it! I could sure live with that!

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Another thing: the money that bought this year’s FA cup is blood money. Ain’t no such thing as an oligarch who made his dosh without killing people. Lots of them.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:43 PM

No, Stuart – I’d rather go without. Honestly.

It’s like winning the 100m gold on drugs, or the Tour de France on a motorbike.

What is the point?

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM

…of course, I can see both sides. But for me, sport is about doing better with the same materials. If you can’t balance your books (at least over a few years) then it’s the same as fielding 12 players as far as I’m concerned.

Platini is going the same way, and I hope he succeeds: clubs should be docked a point for every percentage of spend over their income in any 3 rolling years.

That would put Chelski somewhere in the Conference, and rightly so.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Rangerman – I believe the owners inherited several hundred million of debt with that purchase, so the value of the club’s assets was actually a lot higher.

I think. Not sure of the details and stand to be corrected. Either way, I reckon NUFC is a good punt right now.

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Does that mean that Tesco should spend as much as my local paper shop?

Survival of the fittest and were losing blood fast!

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM

talking to meself again. so sad…

• Johno Toon

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Whumpie if reports are too belived ashley doesnt want his 100 million loan back

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Football has changed so much in a short space of time, just over 5 years ago the likes of ourselves, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal were all spending on average around £6-8 million each season with Man Utd spending more because they were a far more profitable club, all of the money the clubs had either earned or had a plan in place to pay it back (apart from Chelsea)

Who would have thought a few years later we would see the likes of Chelsea and Man City spending £100 million in a season? Even Villa and Sunderland have spent big and only have a Uefa cup place between them to show for it.

Money is killing the game and ruining it slowly however I’d much rather be one of the clubs doing the spending instead of being jealous looking on from a far.

I think I felt more gutted when Man City signed Robinho than when we were relegated, at least with relegation I was expecting it but the Robinho transfer came out of the blue and I was at home watching SSN watching it all happen throughout the day.

Would I prefer to be in Man City’s position and sign genuine class players or would I prefer scratching around in mid table with the likes of Bolton, Fulham and West Ham?

Give me the big money players any day as long as the club can afford it.

• Rangerman

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Liverpool was bought for £174.1m with debts of £44.8m.

They did need a new stadium but the yanks pulled the plug.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Chelski and Citeh are NOT fit. If they were they wouldn’t be on life-support, which is all their owners’ money is.

If you want to buy a trophy, I’m sure the FA will flog you a replica. It’ll mean just as much and cost a lot less.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Ta for the correction, Rangerman. Interesting stuff. And boy, do they need a stadium; it’s like going to a shoeb0x in a war-zone at the moment.

• Stuart79

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM

All these clubs that could be bought need new stadiums that will cost at least £300m.

That is what makes us such a great proposition for someone.

Everything i here(apart from our lague position) but that can be altered in time