Geordie Steve Bruce Nearly Manager Of Sunderland

Steve Bruce, who seems to be improving all the time as a manager and turned down (to his regret) the Newcastle manager job offered to him in September, 2004 after Sir Bobby Robson was sacked – is reported to be close to becoming the new manager of Sunderland.

steve-bruce

Steve Bruce – good choice by Sunderland for manager

And reports that the new American owner at Sunderland, Ellis Short, will give him a transfer kitty of £50M – a fund the club hope to have Sunderland finish in the top 10 next season.

Bruce was last night holding his first round of talks with Sunderland’s impressive chairman Niall Quinn, and if they are concluded positively Bruce will take charge later this week.

The 48-year-old Geordie is ready to be accepted by the Sunderland fans as a poll of fans on the message board “Readytogo.net” had 60 per cent “happy” if he is appointed and only 15 per cent “underwhelmed”.

On his Newcastle links, Bruce once said:

“I have always been a Newcastle lad, and when I was a lad I crawled under the turnstiles to get in, trying to save a bob or whatever it was.”

“They were my team, I went to support them as a boy and being a Geordie it’s inbred, you follow the club still the same today.”

His family still live close to my sister-in-laws in High Heaton, Newcastle.

Steve Bruce will be taking over a squad that Chairmen Quinn believes needs toughening up, and Quinn said:

“The new boss must change the mentality in the dressing room, everything will rub off on that, so we need a strong character.”

Of course with Newcastle being relegated for being so pathetic this year, Sunderland are now Cock Of The North, as the only North East team left in the Premier League.

If nothing else this shoudl act as an incentive for Newcastle to get back as quickly as possible – but if owner Ashley doesn’t end his utter incompetence soon – he could still submarine our preparations for next season in the Championship, and we’ll end up doing a Leeds United.

Until this man is driven out of Toon – that’s a distinct possibility.

Wer think Steve Bruce will do just great at Sunderland – he’s a good manager and at least he’s got the right dialect. The thing with Steve is he’s very straight, doesn’t pull any punches and let’s the players know who’s boss.

He also proved at Wigan he has great motivational skills and it will be a great opportunity for him, and brings him back closer to his family – so he should be happy if he can get the job.

We hope to have a new manager with that same dialect – very shortly – managing the club.

• hitman

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM

he should be hung from the tyne bridge by his eye lids,traitor

• lesh

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Hope he does a good job…. good for the area….. but my feel is is he’s given a lot of cash to play with, he might just get found out!

• Whumpie

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I think he’ll do the top 10 thing, but no more – he just hasn’t got the charisma to go beyond that.

I don’t know how he could take that job, but then if it was my profession and my career, perhaps I’d feel differently. At least he wants to live back in the NE.

As for NUFC missing out on him: for a start I think too many fans would’ve been on his back, and if only we can get Shearer on board I think it’s a much better match for us.

If only…

• Girth

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Sorry like, but this story is something that boils my p1ss, it sums up a load of people I know, some of which are good mates, they do it all the time, simply:
    WHAT THE F*CK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH NUFC?
    When we were embroiled in the middle of a relegation fight all I would hear would be, ‘I hope the makems get beat though’ ?!?!?!?!?! Im incredulous to see people so preoccupied with another team when we are in such a terrible state! How about concentrating on supporting OUR team instead!!!
    (not a go at you Ed…you’re the shizzle)

• Toon Graeme

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Doesnt it boil ya Pi$$ the fact that the mackems are getting their act together and are still in the prem?!!!

• Girth

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM

• Ed Harrison

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:12 AM

This is something I wanted to write about – maybe I should just call it the Ed Harrison Blog – and not have it completely dedicated to Newcastle. One of my best mates is a marooned Sunderland supporter over here, after all.
    But hey – there’s no pressure from me for you to come on here if you don’t like the articles – you have every right to stay away.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Sunderland being at the moment “better than us” is the price we paid for being so pathetic last season. 🙁

• Stevo

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

He should be be-headed before Jimmy Nail for crimes of treason!

• Stevo

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Ed – ‘marooned Sunderland supporter’ I hear you say?……..quick cut the rope on the safety ring 😉

• Hugh de Payen

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Perhaps he’s a double agent.

If Sunderland get relegated next season he’ll blow his cover though. He’s got to make it look accidental (“oops I forgot to put 11 players on the pitch”).

Perhaps he could persuade Ashley to buy Sunderland. That’d screw them up.

• Sav

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM

My favourite headline of the day:

“Moyes rescues Owen from Toon Hell”

love it!
    But they got Owen and Toon the wrong way round!

• simon376@work

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Girth, got to agree with you there. When my cousin played for us, he said all you could hear when out on the pitch from the ‘We hate Suderland’ chant was “Sunderland” said it sometimes sounded like 30000 sunderland fans. He still thinks we are the best supporters he played in front of, but at the time asked why we couldn’t just shout for our own team. Only time Sunderland should be mentioned is when we are playing them

• Doocey

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Very good appointment IMO.

Pity we didn’t get him earlier.

You can expect some South American arriving at Sunderland soon..

• Davies

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Not interested in this story. Ed, you need to take a pill mate. Have you had your blood pressure taken recently?

• daffy

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM

best of luck steve at sunderland , now that nufc are in the championship i can see many geordies trotting over to the stadium of light for some quality football.

• Tom_Toon