Newcastle Players Need To Take Pay Cuts – John Hall

The former Newcastle chairman Sir John Hall has claimed Newcastle’s squad who remain at the club this year, should volunteer for a pay reduction next season.

john-hall.jpg

John Hall – players should take voluntary pay cuts for next year

John is like the rest of us Newcastle fans – just very hurt and angry at our puff-pastry players of last season, not all of them of course – but far too many for our liking.

He has also appealed to Newcastle supporters to hold back on club owner Ashley, so he can sell up quickly and get out of Toon.

John told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Many of our players are on massive salaries, and the players have to take a long, hard look at themselves.” “They are morally bound to re-negotiate their contracts.”

“If they care about Newcastle United as much as they say they do, they will see is the right and proper thing to do.”

While that would be very nice players of course have no legal reason to do that, but maybe one or two might do that as a sign they accept some responsibility for last season.

But the players who would do that would in all likelihood be the ones who care most about the club.

Players like Steven Taylor, Steve Harper, Damien Duff, Kevin Nolan and the like, who are those players who at least tried their very best to keep the club up.

=====

We just dreamed that Sultan Oabood bin Said bought the Newcastle club this coming Thursday, appointed Alan Shearer as manager on Friday, gave him £40M to spend this summer- and invited all Newcastle fans for a free holiday in Oman – please don’t wake us up. 😀

• ObaFan2

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Well those that are left should but I don’t think that many first teamers (from EPL team) will be left.

Seems there’s some interest for Barton, Nolan and some others.

A fresh start with hopefully Beye, Taylor, Harper, Duff, maybe Enrique and with luck Bassong would be a good start.

• mitchc

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I think sir john is spot on its about time our players took some blame financially but morality is a swear word to some of our players

• Johno Toon

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM

If we can hold onto the back i will be very happy and be willing to listen to offers for everyone else bar the young players like carroll lualua ranger etc etc ,

The players who do stay maybe they could defer 50% of their wgaes until we get promoted and could get the wages plus a bonus of some sort

• Sir Erec

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM

To be honest, I’m not sure whether Kevin Nolan is a player we should be looking to keep. Hull is rumoured to be in for him and a decent bid in my mind would be good as from what I have seen he has not impressed. However, if over the summer he improves his fitness and speed substantially then that might change things.

Damien Duff is one of the big culprits in terms of contracts that need to be cut down seeing as he is on around 70k a week. However, his performances this season, especially towards the end were good, in comparison to the rest of the squad and I would love if he stayed, especially on reduced wages.

Steven Taylor has to stay. Hopefully, the owner (now or future) will not sell him off to the rumoured Tottenham or West Ham.

Bassong, quality player. Would not want him to leave. However, if Arsenal did cough up 15mil that is good money.

Martins- really has begun to frustrate me, though if we weren’t relegated I would be looking for a bit more than 7.5mil out of him.

Lovenkrands- hes good player, quick, good finish. Would love it if he stayed.

Edgar- will probably have to be resigned

• Stardust

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM

SJH went on in the same article to back up Mike Ashley – wonder if Ed will run that

• beyethegreat

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

stardust i want to complement you on your and workys blog it looks realy good

• ELFER

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Well that last sentence sounds lika a plan, ED! 😉

After all that happened to me (lost my job, NUFC relegated,…) I would need some holidays. Just waiting for some good news to build myself up again 🙁

• catchy in norway

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM

not just the players,, but people like derek llambhead,, he back wise the rat boy over keegan,, looks like keegan is having the last laugh,, on them, i hope

• Stuart79

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM

This won’t be popular but here goes-

Why should they take a pay cut?

Their not good enough, that’s all!

How can that be their fault?

Would anyone turn down NUFC and the money we were offering? NO!

I would accept that talented players who could have done better could be accused of all sorts but not these players.

It’s not their fault their not good enough!

• MickMack

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I agree with everything Ed says apart from saying Kevin Nolan tried to keep us up. One of the most immobile players I have ever set eyes on. Slower and more cumbersome than Steve Howey.

• beyethegreat

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM

stuart

if i was a player and earning the same as them i would take a pay cut

• cicero

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I think “Morally” is rich coming from John Hall who’s son took millions out of the club while mocking the fans. The Hall’s and Shepard’s borrowed money to buy the club took a fortune out and then sold it at a huge profit; NUFC fan or opportunist business man?

• Stardust

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Thanks Beye

Its obviously only day 1 – but hopefully in time as we allow more and more admin folk – the site will be really diverse and encourage discussion. I love this blgo but one mans opinion holds too much sway.

So we are hoping, with feedback from the community, that we get better and better as we move on.

I saw on another thread you complementing Worky and Myself. I need to point out that all the tireless background work has been done by Worky – not myself. He takes all the credit there.

I have just gathered a few folks email addresses, and emailed out, and wrote a few articles.

• Toon Graeme

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Stardust – have you got a link to your site?

• komfort

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM

beye , the players have zero effection for the club .. so why would they take a pay cut ..

• workyticket

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Yeah, thanks for all the kind words about the new site! 🙂

It’s about time you put the link on your name Stardust! Good work today BTW.

• cicero

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Ed. Can you change the pictures on the page header. Like me I’m sure most of the readers of this blog don’t want to see Ashley’s fat face or Kinnear’s for that matter. Put some real Geordie heroes up there like Sir Bobby Robson, Shearer, Jackie Milburn, Bobby Moncur, anybody but Ashley.

• reetpetite

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

What’s the difference between an Emperor penguin and Gerry McCann?

An Emperor penguin doesn’t leave his egg to spend three hours throwing cheap wine down his neck in a local bistro on the pretence he can still see the vague area the egg was left in.

• workyticket

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Toon Graeme // Jun 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM

“Stardust – have you got a link to your site?”

http://www.nufcblog.org Graeme. It’s on my nickname too.

• reetpetite

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Apparently the cause of the Air France crash was all a misunderstanding.

One passenger shouted, “Hi Jacques” to his mate.

The crew immediately put their hands up and the plane went out of control!

• reetpetite

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM

My mother tried to kill me when I was a baby. She denied it. She said she thought the plastic bag would keep me fresh.

• ObaFan2

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Stop advertising ur blog and slagging Ed with ur “I love this blgo but one mans opinion holds too much sway.” rubbish.

Fgs just go and leave the “uninformed” alone!

• Toon Graeme

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Stardust – cheers – will have a full scan when at home.

• Stardust

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM

http://www.nufcblog.org Graeme

Like we day, day one, but out of little acorns, and we really want it to be open and diverse, with a healthy open honest debate.

I’d prefer it to be no swearing so kids can read it too.

• reetpetite

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM

bit cheeky advertising a rival blog on here after all the hard work ed harrison puts into this one for you.

• stevep

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:36 PM

who is John Hall trying to kid, it’s hardly the players fault he sold to an inept businessman who didn’t have the foresight to insert relegation clauses into players contracts, ran the club like some mickey mouse outfit etc etc.

Perhaps Hall should repay half the profit he took out of the club for selling us down the river, he makes my blood boil !

• Stardust

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Oba – the site was made as Ed had announced he was closing this one, then he changed his mind, we still use and visit here – whats the problem.

Its a little different in that loads of people will be encouraged to input articles so the viewpoint isnt so singular.

The new blog isnt competition – theres no money in it – it just adds to the mix, thought youd have been happy.

But there again your obviously not one of our target market exactly are you lol.

• Stuart79

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:37 PM

ObaFan2 // Jun 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Fgs just go and leave the “uninformed” alone!

I take it you don’t approve?

Stardust- Am I allowed on your blog as I may well have a different opinion to you.

Also if there’s no swearing does that mean there must be no signs of aggression towards fellow bloggers?

• stevep

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Stardust – I can’t see how you think Ed holds to much sway over the blog – he basically posts what the press are reporting with his view on it then asks for our views – thats the idea of a blog man

• stevep

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Stardust: btw I’ve signed up – a bit of competition can only do good as far as I’m concerned

• Stardust

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Steve – but its only one mans interpretation on every issue.

Stuart – can promise not threatening you with violence as you make my blood boil lol, but yes, its an open forum.

• workyticket

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Stuart, you are more than welcome to join.

• Stardust

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Anyone who wants to be a contributor please let us know.

• komfort

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM

suits you sir !

• beyethegreat

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM

21 reetpetite // Jun 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM

lol reet

• ObaFan2

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

stevep // Jun 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Indeed

and as you have the oracle (worky) and the informed (Stardust) running it there will be no opinions just fact!

I approve but think the way you’re going about it is sly, Ed has been a life-saver for many a blogger for the last two years and you’re showing him very little respect!

• Toon_Factor

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:03 PM

workyticket

A couple of weeks ago you told Doocey his blog is crap but imo his is better than yours and stardusts

• batty

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM

reetpetite u loon

• geordie deb

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Why do some of you have an issue with alternative blogs being advertised on here? Doocey has advertised his on numerous occasions over the past 6 months or so without any hassle from anyone.
    Ed made it quite clear he was ending his blog this season. Despite many questions from bloggers over the last three or four weeks in particular he wouldn’t confirm what date it was ending but just at the end of the season. Then late last week he changed his mind and decided to keep it going. The fact that some of our fellow bloggers have put in a lot of effort to provide a forum to allow the banter to continue from regular posters shouldn’t upset anyone. Also ED is going on his hols for 5 weeks soon, so it will be good to continue the discussions elsewhere when Ed is away, as NUFC certainly won’t stand still. Some of you just seem to have an axe to grind with certain individuals sadly.

• Nobby_Long

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Stardust,

SJH only stated that Ashley came with good intentions, but he made many many mistakes.

Interesting that he states the club was in decline well before Ashley took over due to bad managerial appointments. Surely that is a sad indictment of his own son (as well as Freddy) as Douglas Hall controlled the Cameron Hall shares for the past few years of their tenure as the club’s major shareholders.