Joey Barton Wants To Help Newcastle Back To Premiership

Joey Barton is trying to get fit again for next season, and thinks it was really bad the club was relegated last season, especially since he wasn’t available for many games.

joey-barton12

Joey Barton – would still like to stay on Tyneside

And Joey, whose football career is a bit up in the air at the moment,  just like that of his manager come tho think about it, lives in a penthouse in the Newcastle city center, and said today:

“I have tried to make the best of my time off the pitch. It has been well documented that I have had problems with alcohol and I’m trying to turn a corner now.”

“All I am looking forward to is going back, I just hope I’m welcome.” “My intention is to stay with the club so I am concentrating on getting back into peak fitness.”

Questions  about Joey’s future on Tyneside have been rampant since he had an altercation with Shearer after the Liverpool game, in which he got himself sent off.    He’s a good player and would be great for us in the Championship, but Shearer doesn’t waver on too many decisions, and we’d be surprised if he kept Joey at the club.

That would only be the case if nobody would take him in the summer, which is a possibility,  and then we’d expect him to sit down with Alan and work out some code of conduct, and have Joey attend all his rehabilitation meetings and the like – so he can get back to a decent life, and start doing some good in the community – rather than the opposite.

But Barton said he was keen to get back on the pitch and play for Newcastle:

“Everything with the club is a little bit up in the air. It is not good times being relegated.” “I don’t know what is going to happen with the club or with the manager situation.”

“It’s really frustrating this has happened, especially as I only played about six or seven games.” “I’m just looking forward to going back and my intention is to stay at the club and help Newcastle back into the Premier League.”

“If Alan Shearer takes the job and if he doesn’t want me then my hands are tied. All I can do is try and get as fit as possible, but I have got to prepare for all eventualities.”

We have to think if Newcastle can move this player out in the summer, for even a small fee, they will do that.

Shearer will want to clear the decks at the club, and you would have to believe that has to include bad-boy Barton.

• RyanToon

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM

barton can fck right off!!!!!!!!

• SHEARER 4 TOON

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I like Joey good hard player if he would only screw the nut he could be even better.

• Toon Graeme

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Shearer in as manager = Bartongone

See ya Joey – burnt your bridges with me and numerous benfits of doubt that were wasted.

He only wants to stay on with his wage packet.

• Ericles

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:45 PM

No way is Al going to tolerate the unreliability of this high wage earner. Fire him off to Bolton or Blackburn or the mackems?

• Johno Toon

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Must admit im a big big fan of bartons but if we got a decent offer i think we have to take it for the simple fact he could just go off the rails again , we cant take that chance

On the other hand i wouldnt sell him until we got decent chunk of wedge for him

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Get the overpaid under performing tw*t off our books ASAP

• DJG

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I know I am gonna get battered for this but
    if new owners come in and appointed their own experienced manager then I wouldn’t be suprised if Barton stayed and I would say we could do far worse (purely from a footballing perspective).
    I don’t think we have seen the last of him yet. After all there wouldn’t be many better midfielders in the championship than Barton. All i’m saying is that we don’t know who is gonna own the club next season yet never mind be the manager.

• ObaFan2

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Wonder if he’d drop his wages and if so by how much?

Wonder if he and Shearer would have a man to man talk (if Shearer’s manager that is) and sort out their differences?

I think he’s a good player and would definately be an asset to us in the Championship aslong as his attitude changes!

So many questions so my guess is he’ll be sold… end of. lol

• Whumpie

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:59 PM

That’s unanimous then.

Half a million per match, and all he’s done is drag us through the tabloids.

We’re not a charity rehab centre, Joey. Do one.

• Rangerman

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM

The “I’m trying to turn my life around” line is wearing thin now.

He’s been saying it for 2 years.

• Sav

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Agreed, if he was that good, we might have a dilemma, but the fact is he has never had a great game for us and of course, he has been unavailable far, far too often, like several of his colleagues last season.

• ieffrey

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM

don’t ship Barton out, please!
    he is certainly the best midfielder we have!

• batty

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM

yeah we could get rid of him but who are we going to get for the 2 or 3 mil we would get for him

• Chennai Toon

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM

we should keep him….best midfielder in our squad

• LoonyToony

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Great player..Shite attidtude!

Yeh he would be awesome for us in the championship..but on his wages..the risk is far too great.

Whoever is in charge..I hope they do the right thing!

• reetpetite

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM

he will pick up loads of bookings getting kicked around in the first division.

• sirjasontoon

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:20 PM

We need him more than he needs us…I think he will come back better than ever next season and be a major player for us next season.

I don’t condone his actions but he is miles better than anything we have currently got and irreplaceable right now.

• Robbanufc

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM

He’s a great player, no doubt about that. But saying he’s a bad boy is an understatement. He says he’s got drinking problems, and good for him that he’s trying to sort it out. But he’s had far too many chances at our club! His knee injury is also one that often come back, and will most likely catch some injuries next season. so to keep him is far too much of a risk.

Ship him to spurs, they’ve declared interest in him!

God I hope he f***ks up there aswell!

• Toon Graeme

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM

It will come down to cash and think he will be on the list to sell to reduce the wages bill.

Nowt to do with his skill or how sorry he is and determined to get back etc – cold hard cash will dictate the future of alot of our current players.

• Robbanufc

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Facebook group for this sweet site! Close to 250 members now lads!

• Toon Graeme

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Robba – Im on there mate. Having said that I aint been on the facebook site for a while.

• Robbanufc

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Joey has had far too many chances in Newcastle. Ship him off to spurs, and we’ll get a couple of £m for him!

He is a great player, no doubt about it. But him acting like a moron affects both the manager and the squad, all in a negative way, and shouldnt be tolerated.

Sjt. I fully agree with you about him being a great player, and would be massive for us next season.. But he will definately pick up more of his knee injuries, and be out for months next season aswell. He is far too expensive for us to keep, he would have to accept a third of his current wage for us to consider in my opinion.

• Robbanufc

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I know you are Graeme, mate!

Yeah, there hasnt been much action there lately. But we’ll get the action back sooner rather then later! 🙂

• Nick 69

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM

if hes willing to drop his wages then id deffo keep him, by far the best midfielder we have, and if kept fit and out of trouble he will fire us straight back up

• Whumpie

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Chennai and Ieffrey – I need to ask you this, because I’m baffled. How – exactly – do you think this guy is our best midfielder?

Is it on his end product? FAIL. Two goals (one penalty) and zero assists, I believe.

Value for money? FAIL. 7 starts, one jail term and several injuries. £500,000 per GAME. He makes Owen look like a bargain.

Good for moral/image/team spirit? FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL.

What is it that makes you want this idiot???

• ObaFan2

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM

To say he’s no good imo seems wrong, I believed him to be the engine room and driving force to our 4-3-3 when KK was manager.

• DJG

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM

We need him to stop us getting walked over in midfield. The sad fact is that he is the only player in our sqaud who even trys to thread a ball through the centre.

• beatski

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:46 PM

“fail,” real original

the question in my mind is, will shearer see that he’s a gifted midfielder and keep him on for an increased chance at promotion IMO (on decreast wages obviously. Or will he stand firm on his principals?

• beatski

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:47 PM

*decreased

• THE MAGPIE

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Someone is sure to take a punt so we should sell him, at 60000 a week is way over the top for Championship level.

• Whumpie

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Or… mad idea…

Find a good midfielder who DOESN’T cost a mint, cause chaos in the club and can play more than seven matches a year. Every other team seems to manage that.

The other thing is: I can’t see how he’s as good as you’re making out. He’s just better than the very mediocre players we have. Can anyone point out one match where he was so exceptional? Any times when he got man of the match, or voted best on some blog? Merit points table?

ANYTHING??

Here’s another theory: everyone who’s sticking up for this gobsh*te always slags off Owen, Smith and anyone else seen as a bit “clean”.

Ok, that was provocative. But I’m typing meeting minutes and I’m bored. 🙁

• Wallsend Will

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I’ve said some things in support of Joey Barton in the past, like he’s done his time, give him a break and how he performs out on the pitch is what matters, not his lifestyle. I was wrong he will always be trouble. It’s a matter of how far we gone down as a football team, that we should even be considering playing Barton again. He wants to keep his current contract as no one else will pay so much. If and when Shearer is appointed he will be out.

• toonsy

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Sorry to detract from the thread a bit but…..

Is anyone else getting more alarmed by the lack of concrete news? Whether it be from fat Mike, Barclays, Shearer or whoever!

On a side note, if Barclays dont approve the business plan they have the main offices for their investment arm not far from me. If i slipped the address we could arrange a meet and have a protest/gathering. Its what we are good at lol 😀

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:58 PM

He should of never been at this club to start with – another fat ego manager that thought he could take him under his wing, sort out his problems blah blah blah.

He is the problem get rid – 2million
    Duff get rid – 2 million
    Smiff get rid – 1 million
    Geremi get rid – ill drive
    Butt get rid – same as germ
    Ameobi get rid – please take him

• ObaFan2

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM

My memory aint that good Whumpie to remember that far back but people are entitled to their opinions.

He’s alot of trouble, attitude stinks but is a good midfielder imo. 🙂

I still stick with my first post on this, post 8.

• dougnufc

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Hopefully Ashley sells in 2 weeks, I am getting sick and tired waiting for the takeover.

• DevonMag

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I really dont understand why people seem to think we have the luxury of offloading by far and away the best midfielder at our club (who has said he wants to stay) because of an attitude problem?
    He’s not exactly gonna be a hugely disruptive influence in the dressing room, you can see when he plays for us he wants to do his best and wears his heart on his sleave. He might be a thug, but look at jamie carragher for christs sake!

• Nick 69

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Whumpie // Jun 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Or… mad idea…

ANYTHING??

———-

youve answered your own question there havent you, HE IS BETTER THAN THE MEDIOCRE PLAYERS WE HAVE!! and we will not get anyone better signing for us while we are in the championship, hes the only midfielder in our squad with an ounce of creativity!!

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM

DevonMag – its slightly more than an attitude problem. Obviously the suns got to you in the sunny west country but look at his record – attacking own players, beating up fans, unable to control himself on the pitch, been to jail (and no doubt another sentence b4 long)

Great player – dont think so. Would try a youngster before that thug

• Whumpie

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Another way of looking at it: If we’d spent the £5.7 mill plus his wages… call it £10m in total… on someone else, is it likely to have worked out better?

Hard to say ‘no’, ennit?

And here we are with the same choice: spend big bucks on keeping him, or use the money elsewhere.

No-brainer.