Ashley Must Put Newcastle Club As First Priority

We had thought as much, when Mike Ashley for the second time in 8 months has put the Newcastle United club up for sale.

alan-shearer-3476857

Alan Shearer – in limbo so took a short vacation
These deals are never easy, and always take time, especially with the world economic situation we are in right now.

The Evening Chronicle is reporting today that representatives of Ashley did hold a meeting with would-be buyers yesterday, but talks with these potential buyers are at a very initial stage.

So exactly when Mike is going to appoint somebody to start to steer the Newcastle ship becomes a big question. But Mike must put the club first, and put someone in charge who can start to sell and buy players and get busy with all the other stuff that needs to be done, like setting up the pre-season games for instance.

It appears that the barrier in the way of Shearer coming on board at the club is the Newcastle club’s ability or willingness to provide the resources needed to rebuild the first-team squad, for an attack on the Championship title next season.

And as we expected discussions with Barclay’s Bank have continued all this week, but last night Managing director Derek Llambias said there was no real news to report.

And as we expected the decisions will seemingly be delayed until at least over the weekend.

The Chronicle are also reporting that at least one group that is looking at buying Newcastle would want Shearer as manager, so why Mike doesn’t just appoint him now, and let him get on with it .

Any sane buyer of the club would hardly replace him, with Alan the easy fan favorite to rescue the club from the perilous depths to which the club have fallen.

And any news that Joe Kinnear will come back – should be dismissed out of hand, because there would be huge fan protests, even bigger than those following the Keegan exit last September.

And so it goes on.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM

i cant stand joe kinnear, he boils my p!ss

• lesh

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Ed, you may have answered your own question by saying that it appears that the barrier in the way of Shearer coming on board at the club is the Newcastle club’s ability or willingness to provide the resources………”

Could it be Al’s sticking in on the funds issue and if so, how about an interim appointment to get the shipping out started, renewing subject to funds?

• Ed Harrison

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:41 PM

it could be – that penny did drop when I wrote that – just wish he would get going – there’s lot to do! And it may be a little irrelevant giving new owners will come in – hopefully with some investment – so why wouldn’t they just get a bridge loan for 20M until then?

• lesh

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Hey Ed, an idea…… you reckon a £20m bridging loans needed?

One thing’s for sure, the banks’ll not give it without security?

Look no further than this blog for a germ of an idea…… how about fans and supporters setting up another kitty for donations?

Just a thought

• Ericles

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Time, as Shearer points out, is of the essence. I do not care what Ashley feels about anything – his money, his losses, his fat cat mentality. I care about NUFC and our fans, our people. Al is right – every delay is another room burnt down. Who the hell is this Nero barrow boy think he is trying to set fire to our beloved club. I think fire sale has many meanings in present times. So if your fingers are burning fat Ashley do not expect me to piss on your hands! Get a move on.
    Give Al the go ahead now.

• Stuart79

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Least Keith Harris is talking to potential buyers.

Although the manager issue is more important now as we need to be buying and selling players.

• geordie deb

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:57 PM

This is becoming tedious. Mike Ashley cannot make Alan Shearer manager or allow him free reign to buy and sell players before Barclays Bank have approved the business plan so that funds are available.

• newcastle29

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:58 PM

it’s quite simple really, you are not going to spend money on a new carpet and furnishings for it to ripped up and thrown away 2 weeks later! a little patience is required here and i know its a ll fustrating, but there’s nothing we can do about it.
    we simply have wait and hope that a deal can be done quickly. hope its not left to long that we stuggle to find buyers for players and find players to buy! fingers crossed.

• Rangerman

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM

…….

I’m not sure why some people find this so hard to understand.

• Dragonera

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Ed Harrison

I think you should write an article on how Steve Bruce has well and truly burned his bridges with Newcastle fans. I cannot wait until we are back in the premiership and get one over on that mug.

• tilley

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Its starting to spiral out of control again – we have no manager and we have an owner who wants nothing to with us – who is running the club at the moment

• cicero

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Why does everyone think it’s Ashley who won’t appoint Shearer? I think it’s more likely Shearer won’t sign until the financial structure is in place to see his plans through. Going on past history I wouldn’t trust Ashley to provide everything he promises without it being contractually tied down. I think it’s Shearer waiting for the bank to ratify the financial plan before he signs, I also believe that he is working without a contract at the moment. The Chronicle also reports that Shearer’s back from his “short break” on Monday it seems to me that things will start happening next week. If Shearer thought he was being p*ssed around by Ashley he would have taken his family away on a proper holiday, I really believe he’s still working away on his plans.

• newcastle29

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:15 PM

question. was’nt there a load of money left over from out going sales of players in january?

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:15 PM

8 newcastle29 // Jun 5, 2009 at 1:58 PM

“it’s quite simple really, you are not going to spend money on a new carpet and furnishings for it to ripped up and thrown away 2 weeks later! ”

If you want to sell your house you need to make sure it is attractive to a buyer, and that may mean spending money on a new carpet and furnishings. And yes, they may be ripped out later by the new owner!

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Anyway, I reckon Al is part of the team in the Gulf talking to potential buyers!

• newcastle29

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM

if you don’t know who’s going to buy, you can’t cater for their tastes! lots of people can be put of by the interior after the exterior looking wonderful!

• newcastle29

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM

metaphor city?

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM

NC29: Good point, but if the interior is obviously rubbish (i.e., JK) it will put everyone off.

• hitman

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM

why have no players been put up for sale yet.

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Reggie. I didn’t get where I am today by talking in metaphors.

• Spitfire

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

This is Ashleys revenge. Like a spoilt kid he is gonna make sure he breaks his toy rather than let anyone else use it.

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Hearnsy @ 19: It’s probably because there is no-one competent enough to do the negotiations. I think MA knows he’s crap and all his team are too. Watch the fur fly if Al DOES get the job.

• cicero

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Was Al’s short break a ‘secret meeting’ with the potential buyers?

• newcastle29

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

perrin? lol

anyway thats my point! no point doing anything that might put a buyer off.

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Spitfire: I think it’s simply a case of incomptence

• cicero

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

never a dull moment supporting NUFC

• Rangerman

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Everyone read post 7 again.

• NO F IN KINNEAR

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM

does stardust still post taking the moral highground regarding ashley. he looks a right chump now. admin here we come 🙁

• chuck

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Patience is a virtue bestowed on few NUFC fans.
    I would love to see a near complete clearout of those past their sell by date and those not good enough.
    A new team consisting of many of the young up and coming players mentioned in this blog recently.
    But unless new ownership with the available readies take over soon it`s just not gonna happen.
    Certainly not under Ashley, as it`s my opinion he does`nt have the available cash and does`nt want to go to the banks, he just wants outta here now .

• bowburnmag

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM

chuck – the paradox is that you’re right in as much as, if nothing happens in the short term, people jump up and down. Yet, in it’s entirety, the passage of time from the last time we did anything of significance to the present suggests people are still prepared to put a shift in as supporters. Either that, or people have just grown fond of having a twist.

• Bill F

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Well I have been patient for over fifty years, just how long do I have to wait for something good to happen to us?

I think it’s more a case of desperation now than impatience. Having said that I would be happy if some real solid foundations were installed in our crumbling ruin.

• sirjasontoon

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Agree Bill,
    I share your desperation 🙂
    The club is in total ruin…my fear is it will get worse before it gets better.

• Tel

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Ashley hasnt made a single decision that put the club before his personal wealth and ego. Now that he wants out again what on earth would make him alter his ways now. The best we can hope is a quick sale, maybe something along the lines of portsmouth where the arab doctor guy is going to be the buyer by the end of summer. They know and can get on with their business thats what we need. The favoured potential buyer comes out of the woodwork, states his/her intentions and Ashley vanishes never to be seen again. My worry is that the greedy person (polite) sees an interested buyer and then moves the purchase price to recoup some of his losses. Then this drags on and on, and we end up with JFK, or some other such has been on the minimum wage, I hear howard wilkinson and Lawrie mcmenemy are available.( and Lawries a geordie well gateshead anyway)

• Whumpie

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

“Nero barrow boy” – like it!

But one question: what makes people think the work isn’t going on behind the scenes? I think there are several player sales underway, and plenty of signings all lined up too. It’s just that nothing can go public until the bank say so.

So can we stop being so embarrassingly and predictably impatient and just wait and see for once?

• lesh

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Hear hear Whumpie…. patience, patience, patience guys.

Here we go again, raising expectations – don’t expect too much too quickly and when it arrives, it may well be better than expected.

As an aside given Hoon’s gone and of course yesterday it was Jaqui Smith…………….

I wonder if she’ll go down in history as a Second Home Secretary?

Have a good weekend chaps.

• Bill F

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Tel, for a start it’s Gateshead not gateshead, and define what exactly makes a Geordie. I’ve heard many definitions. Sometimes I am one and sometimes I’m not. As someone who was born in the Gateshead environs and who has supported the Toon most of my life I certainly feel that I am a Geordie but feel free to correct me!! 🙂

• Rodzilla

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I don’t think it’s a case of being “embarrassingly and predictably impatient” Whumpie. As ‘Bill F’ says, he’s been “patient for over fifty years”, myself over thirty. You can’t blame anyone for doubting the competence of the NUFC hierarchy – I think it’s more a case of once bitten, twice shy (you could probably replace “once” with “continually”).

Although I’ve always remained optimistic about the club’s future over the years, I’ve grown a little too accustomed to being ‘turned upside down and dropped on my head’ as a TOON supporter. A lot of us now just expect the worst through experience. Our club’s history doesn’t lie.

….I eagerly await a pleasant surprise!

• Tel

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Bill F. sorry my typing isnt the greatest and Iam lousy at grammar, although I am aware Gateshead has a capital G. As for the geordie thing as far as I am concerned anyone who supports newcastle through thick n thin is a geordie in my book. I was born in newcastle and lived their til my early twenties, then work dictated I moved to north Yorkshire and I now travel 100 miles to every home game. My son was born in newcastle, we left when he was 5 monthsd old and he also considers himself a geordie, and is also a season ticket holder. He is now 13 and more than holds his own amongs his mates who support man utd, chelsea or whoever seems to be winning that week, No doubt tehy will become Citeh or god knows what in years to come. lets hope maybe even geordies. Keep the faith, dont believe a thing ashley says and one day. one day we will be great. Wearing the shirt with pride makes a true geordie,

• Tel

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Or….. Supporters of king george 2nd, or something to do with george stephensons mine lamps or just that george was a popular name. You tell me….It was a light hearted poke at Ashleys incompetance and critical decision making.