Shearer Desperate To Become Newcastle Manager – Soon!

Alan Shearer will return from a short holiday at his Villa In Portugal over the weekend still desperate to be appointed Newcastle manager – and soon.

SOCCER-ENGLAND/

Dowie and Shearer – put these guys in charge – now!

And the Evening Chronicle today has a good quote from a source close to Shearer as he admits to being concerned about the preparations (or lack thereof) for next season being stopped flat in their tracks as Mike Ashley sells the club, at just about the worst possible time.

Yet it is Shearer’s position that is most worrying for the Tyneside public, as they see their hero seemingly being messed around by the unpopular owner, who has just taken the club down.

A source close to Shearer told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Alan is desperate to be appointed and get on with what he sees as a massive task.”

“Because of his love for the club, the current silence is hurting him because every day that passes, the rest of the division take another step forward and leave Newcastle wanting in terms of player recruitment.”

“He has a lot of feasible plans to take Newcastle forward but he is helpless to stop the club sliding downhill until he gets the nod.”

“It’s hard to see what the delay is because it seems like a no-brainer.” “The support Alan had from all of the fans, even at Aston Villa when the team went down, was overwhelming.”

“It was clear that the fans see no other man to take the club forward.” “The big worry is that we are heading for oblivion and that’s a sad thing for Newcastle fans to hear given the season they’ve had.”

Alan presumably has a meeting with Derek Llambias tomorrow, but we think Derek will just pass the buck again, and say there’s no more real news to give Alan. But they promised Alan a decision over a week ago and have been dragging their feet ever since.

We do get the sense they are not playing entirely straight with Alan, who is a straight shooter, if ever we saw one.

If things don’t sort themselves out quickly,  Newcastle fans may need to be called into controlled action, and we would look to the NUSC  (Newcastle United Supporter’s Club) to do what’s appropriate – if that becomes necessary  to save our club.

Comments very welcome.

• jonny

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM

MARTINS WANTS TO STAY :D. god i love you oba.

but the whole squad is up for sale…

• chuck

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Doing a bit of rabble rousing Ed.?
    Might be a good idea to let it work itself out, without the white bedsheet crowd.
    Yes we are all of us concerned in the direction of the club, but I see no positives in what you are calling for, relax

• Ericles

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Ashley apologises and then proceeds to repeat his same old mistakes. The man has no respect for himself or anybodyand I am sick and tired of seeing his sleazy grinning gargoyle face all over the media too. We need to get this clown out of town and Al in the driving seat asap. As a member I agree with the idea of getting some NUSC action organised. We are not just defending our NUFC, but the city, the region and our footballing heritage too – Alan Shearer knows that down to his bones.

• neblexa

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I honestly dont think getting NUSC to stand outside chanting is the best responce.

In my opinion Keegan is hugely resonsible for alot of this mess for walking out when he did and the whole band wagon, which is NUSC, that supported the campaign to keep reinstating him, despite him leaving us in the lurch, was embarrassing.

I honestly dont know what the answer is anymore. Aside from smashing the ground down and building a fairground I cant imagine that man ( MA) could damage us anymore than he already has. How did he make money?? it amazes me.

• theskinnyox

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM

the appointment will be soon, all they are waiting for is the season tickets to go on sale (which is 12/06/09) then they will appoint Shearer to boost ticket sales.

• Whumpie

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM

neblexa – I kind of agree, but the more this goes on, the more I understand why KK had to walk. Could you work with these idiots – especially with Wise as a boss?? I cannot imagine how badly they treated KK, if after all this time and apologising they still treat Shearer like this.

That said, I don’t trust this ‘source close to Shearer’. Those quotes sound like something you’d get on here; hardly the tone you’d expect from someone who is actually on the inside of the situation.

I say: wait 24 hours; Shearer is back and we’ll hear from him. His is the only voice I trust, and I believe little else.

• boater

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Chuck… I agree.

Ed… we all respect the hard work you put into this blog, but I am getting so tired of the anti-Ashley, pro-Shearer, ‘players let us down’ stance on here.

I thought relegation would represent the lowest ebb for the club, I now foresee an even worse situation in the coming year.

What do the following managers have in common – apart from resurrecting the fortunes of their respective clubs?

O’Neill, Wenger, Ferguson, Benitez, Moyes, Hodgson, Mourinho, etc, etc.

None of them had any notable previous connection with their club. So why do we need someone who ‘understands the region, the fans, the history, etc, etc.’

The banner from the retarded villa mutts saying ‘who is your next messiah – ant or dec?’ was spot on.. though it pains me to say it.. we are romantic fools dreaming of a historical hero figure-head coming and making everything all right again. Aint gonna happen.

The previous thread about ‘Coloccini just not being good enough’ summarises the twisted and lazy mentality of the club and the supporters which has lead to our demise. Blaming individuals leads to a poisonous atmosphere in which it is impossible for us to develop.. I GUARANTEE that Vidic, Alex, Hangelaand, Skrtl would have all struggled at the toon over the past few years. I also know that Coloccini would have done just fine at a club which plays as a unit.

• Doocey

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Martins want to stay?! I haven’t saw that anywhere!

• Whumpie

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Martins can’t stay. He costs too much and we need the money. If he has said he’d like to, that’s nice – but he has to go.

Besides which (and sorry if this is heresy to some) I really don’t think he’s been that good for us, and he’d be worse in the Championship.

Get as much as you can for him, and bring forward the young talent.

• Mark j

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Where did u hear that jonny?

• sahota

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM

@boater Thats what the blog is all about. If I am not wrong not long ago Ed was in favour of giving Ashley a chance too. Blog is just the writers personal opinion. We have comments to add to that and debate about what writer has said. And you have rightly said what you liked and ed has not removed your comments. Its just freedom to everyone. So don’t just think that Ed just love Shearer to come back and Ashley to GO. I think every Newcastle fan wants a stable Newcastle striding forward not backwards. And frankly nobody knows solution to the mess we are in. Neither you, nor me nor Ed nor any Newcastle fan. We can just hope that anybody who takes over and whoever is manager , we start winning matches quickly and come on top at end of season.

• Whumpie

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I just need someone to give us SOMETHING real. All this BS about how Shearer feels is ridiculous, tabloid-padding garbage based on zero fact.

Does anyone really believe that there is whom Big Al trusts enough to talk to while on holiday, yet is so unreliable and ineloquent as to spout that garbage to the Chronicle?

We know nowt, and need to get used to that with Ashley in charge of (non) communication.

• chuck

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Look, we all detest what Ashley has done to this club of ours and yes he can be stubborn and just when things seem at their worst, he manages to further compound matters, to a point that enrages most fans .
    It`s frustrating, believe me I know.
    However, his club , his dosh.
    There`s little we can do about it, except wait it out and hope a white knight rides into the future of NUFC.
    As for Shearer, it would`nt be the end of the world if he did`nt get the job, personally I am a bit concerned about his abilities as a manager and having Dowie around does`nt make me any happier.
    Would like to see a Steve Clark or John Carver take over, have more trust in their abilities.
    But Shearer seems to fit as the peoples choice and would`nt hurt in attracting future players.

• RyanToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM

martins wants to stay

• jonny

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM

people who asked me – skysports said his agent released a statement saying he has no intention of leaving 🙂

• Lambiastard

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM

boater

Post number 7

you mention managers who have had no connection with there present clubs

Why be bothered about what other clubs think!

you can’t put Barcalona in that bracket Pep Guardiola was Barca captain the same as Shearer was, he’s the same age as Shearer 38, He has not managed any other club.

No one called the Barca supporters delushionary for wanting him

The Spanish League, the Spanish cup and the Champions League arn’t bad for your first managers job then is it

I don’t think your arguement stands up

• Nobby_Long

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:50 PM

This is typical. There’s a void – nothing of substance is ever issued in terms of communication from the club, so the void gets filled with supposition & half truths. Even the communication we were promised at the start of February never really materialised…….it is an absolute joke.

I get the impression that Ashley does not give one jot what happens so long as he does not stump up one penny more on the club. I’m surprised the bank have not demanded that someone is appointed in a managerial role to keep the club running – take the necessary restructuring decisions that are needed to have a fighting chance of a viable business & team for next season. Its almost like we are in a pseudo-administration.

As for Ed stirring up the bedsheet brigade……..don’t make me laugh……..I don’t think most of them are computer literate……..actually from the spelling on the bedsheet, not literate at all…….lol

• Nobby_Long

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Whumpie – – it would not be beyond the realms of possibility that Shearer himself is leaking this to the Chronicle but does not want to be quoted, or has told someone to do it for him…….it could be tactics to ramp up pressure on Ashley.

All of this though is hard to pick through……most of us are trying to think rationally about what could be happening….i.e the bank trying to sort out the fine details of the business plan before approving further action…etc

Where that falls down for me though is Ashley’s track record for rank bad decision making…..he could just be thinking it is best to do nothing until the club is sold ( God I hope this is not the case) – don’t gforget–neither him nor Llambias have a clue about football.

• neblexa

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I agree KK was tret badly and i agree he was prob best to walk out. But why didnt he wait till the end of the season, put the club first and secure what would probably have been a mid table finish, then come out and tell the world why he had to leave. Instead he threw his toys out the pram and now he’s trying to sue the club that he loves for around £8m ( i think is the figure). Anyway, this is history now, i still hold him high regard, despite what i think about the way he handled things.

Strangley i was looking forward to wiping the slate clean, getting rid of the best part of the team and looking to try and build a brighter future under shearer for the coming season and then this happens..The only way i comforted myself after that horrid sunday was that i hoped we had hit rock bottom and it was time to look up..I now fear we may well have not if things dont change very quickly.

• Patrick2349

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Sorry for bothering. I would like to ask where’s the source of claiming Oba Martins wants to stick with the Toon? I can’t find anything related to this issue in SSN.

• Zangwill_Ho

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM

martins wants to stay!! Yes!

• Tom_Toon

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM

We cant afford Martins and £7mil for him is great business for us.